Film podcasts

DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
edited January 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 23,447
Who here enjoys a good podcast while driving to work, enjoying a cool drink on a hot Summer day or randomly spending time on the little household things of every day?

I do.

Two podcast sites in particular have kept me entertained over the past couple of years:

The Hollywood Saloon

THSlogoX.jpg

THS offers insightful coverings of films, film series, filmmakers and topics about cinema in general. The hosts, Andy and John, are both well educated in the arts of filmmaking, including the technical side of things. Their conversations, while also funny at times, are mostly informative and interesting. Hugely recommended. Also, they have no less than four Bond related shows...

NowPlaying

logo.jpg

NPP is fun for everyone. A panel of usually three hosts dives into film retrospectives, spending one show on each film in a series or on standalone films. Originally designed for quick recommend/non-recommend reviews of freshly released films, NPP swiftly involved into the retrospective podcast it is today. It's no exception nowadays that a full hour or more is reserved for a film discussion. Strong points include a lot of laughs, great hosts, some incredibly peculiar choices of rare films to be discussed and highly entertaining while still very informative reviews. One show per week guaranteed - sometimes even more. My favourite source of film podcasts. Couldn't leave home without my mp3 player full of those any more.

Do you know these two? Perhaps you listen to other podcasts. Let's discuss them.

Comments

• Thanks for these two podcast tips. Never listened to any of them before but I have just finished a episode of Now Playing were they discussed Inception. Really enjoyed their thoughts and take on Inception (one of my favourite movies btw)! I'm lucky to have like 150-160 episodes left :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm glad you enjoy the podcasts, @The007Swede. Arnie, one of the hosts, tipped that they may do a Bond retrospective later this year... ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Who here enjoys a good podcast while driving to work, enjoying a cool drink on a hot Summer day or randomly spending time on the little household things of every day?

This guy. I'll definitely check them out. I spend a lot of time walking to and from class so this will be a welcomed distraction. Thanks for sharing! :D It'd be cool if the MI6 Community came together to produce a Bond only podcast or YouTube channel.
    Ha, good idea. ;-)

Let me know what you think of the suggestions I left above.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 103
    Kermode and Mayo's Film Review is conistently fantastic. Empire's new podcast is also quite good for generalised movies. Keepin' It Reel is also quite good but descends into comic book movie dicussion on a regular basis.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm glad you enjoy the podcasts, @The007Swede. Arnie, one of the hosts, tipped that they may do a Bond retrospective later this year... ;-)

Great news if that comes true! Right now I listen to their Avengers movie (Iron Man, Hulk etc) reviews and also look forward for the Batman movies. Great podcast!
    Glad I could help. I've grown addicted to these guys. The volume of podcasts they've stacked over the years is impressive! I make it my business to watch every film they review so that I can listen to their podcasts when going to work or doing the dishes. And of course I re-listen to entire series in between fresh reviews.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Glad I could help. I've grown addicted to these guys. The volume of podcasts they've stacked over the years is impressive! I make it my business to watch every film they review so that I can listen to their podcasts when going to work or doing the dishes. And of course I re-listen to entire series in between fresh reviews.

Re-listen everything?? Well, that is impressive! :D If they decide to talk Bond I will be a very happy guy!
    Oh my, and with the right panel (Stuart, Arnie, Jacob e.g.) I'll be wetting my trousers in anticipation. If they reach the same level as with the Inception podcast for the Bonds, me very happy. :P
    Does anyone listen to GameScoop by IGN? It's mainly about games (hence the names), but they do cover movies once in a while. They do talk about Bond games once in a while too, usually only when a new one is coming out, though. Give it a listen, it's hilarious.

(Sorry if that's a bit off-topic)
    No, no, that's not off topic, @FromCanadaWithLove! Actually, I appreciate the hint. Will check this out. Thanks. ;-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2012 Posts: 12,459
    OK, here goes my incredibly ignorant question; but I am serious: how do I listen to a podcast?
    @4EverBonded: If you own a Mac or PC with iTunes installed you can find a massive catalouge of podcasts in the iTunes store. There you can download all of them for free. If you have an iPod/iPhone/iPad: The same, podcasts can be found in the iTunes app. For Android I'm not sure but i guess that there is some podcast app on Android market! For PC without iTunes, download iTunes or search google for sites with podcasts. :D
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 300
    The <a href="http://www.modern-myth-media.com/search/label/MMM Podcast&quot;&gt;Modern Myth Media</a> podcasts are always a great listen. They discuss comic books, comic book films, and every once in a while throw out a round-table podcast where they analyze a single film for the entire show. They're always great and they're also available on itunes.

edited April 2012 Posts: 23,447
    OK, here goes my incredibly ignorant question; but I am serious: how do I listen to a podcast?

Or you just go to one of the referenced websites above, look for a podcast that interests you, right click and save as. It mostly comes in mp3 format. :)
    IGN.com's movie podcast "Keepin it Reel" is very entertaining. News, rumours, and box office discussions and projections is the deal! Highly recommend it, comes once a week on fridays. http://movies.ign.com/index/podcasts.html
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @4EverBonded: If you own a Mac or PC with iTunes installed you can find a massive catalouge of podcasts in the iTunes store. There you can download all of them for free. If you have an iPod/iPhone/iPad: The same, podcasts can be found in the iTunes app. For Android I'm not sure but i guess that there is some podcast app on Android market! For PC without iTunes, download iTunes or search google for sites with podcasts. :D
    DarthDimi wrote:

Or you just go to one of the referenced websites above, look for a podcast that interests you, right click and save as. It mostly comes in mp3 format. :)

Thanks to both of you! I appreciate it.
  • I'll usually go for Kermode And Mayo's podcast if I want something film-related...I tend to stick to the Alan Davies football podcast instead though :P
    Just wondering: where do you wonderful folks listen to the podcasts? Sitting on your couch, eyes closed? Taking the train / bus to work? In the car? Doing the dishes?
    Usually I listen on the bus to/from school. Also when I'm out running I enjoy a great podcast more than music. And when it's summer I like to sit in the sun and just listen to a podcast. But mostly on the bus! :D
    I really like the Rope of Silicon podcast:
    http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/category/podcast/
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Just wondering: where do you wonderful folks listen to the podcasts? Sitting on your couch, eyes closed? Taking the train / bus to work? In the car? Doing the dishes?
    Depends on the podcast. When I listened to Ricky Gervais XFM (which highly recommend!) show a couple of years ago I did it when I walked to and from school. Which was kinda awesome since I had to actively stop myself from bursting out in laughter all the time.

Weekly one hour podcasts now I usually save up for when I have been out partying "the prev." day. If one is severely hungover, you cant really do anything anyways so then one podcast after another in the player is a great way to pass the time.
    Sad news. One of my favourite podcasts, The Hollywood Saloon, had officially announced a full stop of its shows after 7 years of glamour. It's a sad day for the fans, myself more than included.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Sad news. One of my favourite podcasts, The Hollywood Saloon, had officially announced a full stop of its shows after 7 years of glamour. It's a sad day for the fans, myself more than included.

Sad news indeed! Their Bond Never Dies special shows are interesting and funny.. pure magic!

DarthDimi wrote:

Sad news indeed! Their Bond Never Dies special shows are interesting and funny.. pure magic!

Here's the announcement:
    apostleX wrote:
    closed.jpg

THE HOLLYWOOD SALOON 2005-2012
    THE OFFICIAL WORD
    (at least from Andy)

The Hollywood Saloon, as it has existed, will no longer be producing programs.

It really doesn't matter why, just that it is over and will remain that way.

I cannot speak for Jansen, but I have plans already under way for a completely new show. My expected date of launch is somewhere in June, 2012.

If Jansen has other plans that I am un-aware of them, so be it. I do not have any information from him.

At the very least I can only say thank you for your years of support. there are no words I can say to express my gratitude to you all. I look forward to continuing my road in podcasting. When I am ready to launch I will forward that info. to everyone.

*As for these forums I am considering what to do next. They might become the forums for the new show and nothing will change. We may start a new forum.Tthere are no final plans at this point. I do not plan on deleting these forums. There is no reason to burn the fields down.

Thanks again for your support.

- my best to you all,
    Andy

:cry:

Andy sounds very bitter towards John. This has happened before, though.
    Listened to Now Playing's The Avengers review today. Very good review and a great movie. Anyway, the big thing was that in the end of this show they announced that they are going to review all Bond movies in the fall. So,, great news! Looking forward for those shows! :D
    Man, I LOVED hearing about that! I hope it features Arnie, Stuart and Jacob.
    They said that they would all do the Bond series but also, in addition, a fourth guy would join. I don't recall his name but apparently he was a devoted Bond fan. All sounded very promising!
    Brock IIRC. He's the more pronounced Bond fan of the lot.

And absolutely it sounds promising. Imagine this: a 60+ min show devoted to each Bond film... In the end we'll have over 25 hours of Bond talk!! (for knowing NPP, they will include CR67 and NSNA) ;-).
    This fall is shaping up pretty nicely I think! This, Skyfall, 007 Legends, Bond On Bond.. Many great things.

I enjoy listen to other people opinions about Bond so this is perfect. Even more interesting that they aren't hardcore fans today and may have very different opinions compared to for example mi6community! :D