No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

EON either need to just get on with things as soon as they can - if a Director is locked in by the end of September - and deliver the film for 2019 or take a longer hiatus\delay than just until 2020 and go with a new Bond and re-imaging of the films.

I don't wish to see Craig go before a final fifth film but if they do reboot completely I don't think a year is enough to cast the new Bond and appoint a writer and Director to play to the new Bond's perceived strengths.

Granted in days of old Maibaum was capable of writing a script for a generic Bond (such as TLD for Moore) before the casting was known but those sort of days are long gone. If anything it would be easier in this current predicament for a new director and writer to come on board knowing Craig is the incumbent Bond and what style of film they'll be expected to deliver.

The thing doesn't shoot for another three months so here's hoping for no delay.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    If Forster would be given a throughly well-crafted and polished script, does away with the shaky hand cam (or only use it occaionally) and the hectic editing and a bit more running time for the character development, clocking in around the 2 hours mark, I'll be fine with that. I always thought, that Quantum of Solace has a great story in it, but this only comes through occasionally. And there were maybe too much action sequences considering the short running time. I was disappointed by the rushed demise of Mathis. The writer's strike and the pressure to meet the opening date were certainly the main problems.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited August 2018 Posts: 45,489
    Cowley wrote: »
    EON either need to just get on with things as soon as they can - if a Director is locked in by the end of September - and deliver the film for 2019 or take a longer hiatus\delay than just until 2020 and go with a new Bond and re-imaging of the films.

I don't wish to see Craig go before a final fifth film but if they do reboot completely I don't think a year is enough to cast the new Bond and appoint a writer and Director to play to the new Bond's perceived strengths.

Granted in days of old Maibaum was capable of writing a script for a generic Bond (such as TLD for Moore) before the casting was known but those sort of days are long gone. If anything it would be easier in this current predicament for a new director and writer to come on board knowing Craig is the incumbent Bond and what style of film they'll be expected to deliver.

I don t think TLD was written for Moore. It was more the idea of writing for his kind of James Bond.

Edit: I see that is what you meant.
    I'd be more than happy for Forster to make a return. We wouldn't have the need for Bourne style choppy editing to blight the action sequences as MI: Fallout has proven that action scenes can still be pacy and brutal without it.

I'm sure Forster would relish the chance for more time and input this time round and he clearly worked more harmoniously with Craig.

Plus if the QOS pre-title sequence is anything to go buy, we could be guaranteed a Bond 25 which immediately starts off with a sense of urgency and a Bond whom means business.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd be more than happy for Forster to make a return. We wouldn't have the need for Bourne style choppy editing to blight the action sequences as MI: Fallout has proven that action scenes can still be pacy and brutal without it.

I'm sure Forster would relish the chance for more time and input this time round and he clearly worked more harmoniously with Craig.

Plus if the QOS pre-title sequence is anything to go buy, we could be guaranteed a Bond 25 which immediately starts off with a sense of urgency and a Bond whom means business.
    +1
    So EON held an emergency meeting for the crew today. I wonder if it will leak what they were told.
    peter wrote: »
    So EON held an emergency meeting for the crew today. I wonder if it will leak what they were told.

If there is a hiatus, it will be told in this meeting. And I don’t see how they can’t leak that since the crew will be unemployed (after gearing up for the next year of their lives).

However, I will be shocked if there is a significant delay in shooting (if any), and I may be an optimist, or just plain thick, but I foresee the release dates being honoured.
    Them honouring the release date has one big con and one big pro. CON: another rushed priduction probably resulting in a subpar movie. PRO: they will probably have to keep most of Hodge's script (and maybe some of Boyle's crew such as Tildesley) since that's what they have been preparing to film, which might result in a "Boyle light" movie.
    And Roberto Schaefer along? Would actually love that.

I don t think TLD was written for Moore. It was more the idea of writing for his kind of James Bond.

Edit: I see that is what you meant.

Funny how thirty years on TLD does mostly seem to be just more of the same Glen\Maibaum we already had from Moore as it was probably written and developed as such and yet in 1987 it just all felt so wonderfully fresh and dynamic. The praise for which has to go to Dalton whom immediately gave us a believable Bond.

As with the Craig era, I just suspect that whoever is next cast as Bond will determine the style of the films we receive rather than the Brosnan greatest hits approach. Which is why holding the film (and possibly the script) back for just a year to hire another lead actor might not be enough to properly re-launch the series in earnest.

Perhaps Barbara Broccoli will go once Craig steps down as she'll need to be out of her comfort zone to make that clean break.

Agreed. Honestly Forster may even be my #1 choice right now for Craig’s finale. He has the experience and can improve on what didn’t go so well from last time. Campbell is likely out of the race, and even if he was available he has only done Bond films with a completely clean slate actor-wise. Mendes delivered a fresh, unique film with SF, but proved he was out of gas/energy and ideas with SP. An entirely new director might work too, of course, but they probably couldn’t be too auteur given what happened with Boyle, and Forster still has a leg up in familiarity.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I'm all for Forster to return. I think he did a great job on QOS, especially under the dire circumstances.

Save Campbell for the next actor.
  • Remington wrote: »
    I'm all for Forster to return. I think he did a great job on QOS, especially under the dire circumstances.

In five years time, Campbell will be pushing 80. Can't see him returning to Bond duties.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,157
    I can't believe EON made 16 movies in the first 27 years and made only half of those in the following 27. Even if we don't take the LTK-GE gap into account, Cubby made 14 movies in 23 years whereas Babs and MGW could only make 8 in the same number of years.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,343
    Let's wait and see how they'll manage this situation.

It's frankly unacceptable that after 3 years we still don't have a director with a movie supposed to hit theaters next year, but let's wait for a new announcement before ridiculously demonizing EoN or Craig. What if the Hodge's script was really getting too far? Too political? Maybe this shake-up will make things run a lot better. In the industry things like this happens. Better now than during production.

Campbell and Forster? Please, move on...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,969
    Remington wrote: »

In five years time, Campbell will be pushing 80. Can't see him returning to Bond duties.

Not if they recast Bond and push B25 to 2020. He would be 76 at the time of shooting.

I presume Nolan will introduce the next Bond TBH, that seems almost inevitable, but Campbell is a safe pair of hands. Safer than most, even at his age.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    The 80s is a good case in point -three of those films I love - TLD, LTK and FYEO - and Glenn may not be the greatest director but he delivered at least three top half bond films (with MGW and Maibums writing plus cubby producing. Barry's scores don't hurt either! it's this team dynamic that may be missing a little - and why they've tried to keep purvis and wade on for fluency).

Long story short - EON produced five films in the 80s - in the same length of time now - EON have produced two - and one of them was Spectre...

Well, the 80's have long gone, Cubby died in 1996, Barry (who did not work for Bond for 24 years) passed away in 2011, Maibaum is also no longer with us. One might get melancholic and sad about that, but we as well as the Bond franchise have to move on.
    I grew up with Sir Rog as Bond, OP being my first Bond at the movie theatre. And maybe we should really calm down a little until EON gives an official announcement on the whereabouts of Bond 25. The one internet meida source says this, another one says that, and others report other "facts", which are specualtons and rumours. There is nothing wrong about us speculating (that's why we are all here), but maybe we can do this in a bit of a more relaxed manner. We can't do anything about it, it's EON (and Universal), who pull the strings.
    I think Eon are clearly talking to directors right now. i imagine there must be a big meeting happening this morning in Hyde Park with all senior figures making a final decision on the directors.

Personally, i think Jean-Marc Vallee is the most qualified. He's directed a number of Oscar-nomiated movies and has just filmed two hit HBO shows. He's on a major role, plus I get the impression that he'll listen and shoot the script.

He seems like an intellectual guy and someone interested in character. I think he feels like an upgrade from Sam Mendes and also somewhat of a natural successor.

I agree. Vallee is great, an A list director who is not too famous and has a certain humility. I wouldn't need to drag my wife to watch Bond 25 (a first since CD) : she loved C.R.A.Z.Y. and Little Big Lies.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    This is half the problem solved for me as I always expected after the hate QOS gets, Forster would never return to bond, however, he seems like he would. This is news to me, and music to my ears.
    Walecs wrote: »
    I can't believe EON made 16 movies in the first 27 years and made only half of those in the following 27. Even if we don't take the LTK-GE gap into account, Cubby made 14 movies in 23 years whereas Babs and MGW could only make 8 in the same number of years.

By those calculations, as it dwindles down, the next 27 years should only bring us 4 more films.
  • RC7RC7
    The 80s is a good case in point -three of those films I love - TLD, LTK and FYEO - and Glenn may not be the greatest director but he delivered at least three top half bond films (with MGW and Maibums writing plus cubby producing. Barry's scores don't hurt either! it's this team dynamic that may be missing a little - and why they've tried to keep purvis and wade on for fluency).

Long story short - EON produced five films in the 80s - in the same length of time now - EON have produced two - and one of them was Spectre...

Well, the 80's have long gone, Cubby died in 1996, Barry (who did not work for Bond for 24 years) passed away in 2011, Maibaum is also no longer with us. One might get melancholic and sad about that, but we as well as the Bond franchise have to move on.
    I grew up with Sir Rog as Bond, OP being my first Bond at the movie theatre. And maybe we should really calm down a little until EON gives an official announcement on the whereabouts of Bond 25. The one internet meida source says this, another one says that, and others report other "facts", which are specualtons and rumours. There is nothing wrong about us speculating (that's why we are all here), but maybe we can do this in a bit of a more relaxed manner. We can't do anything about it, it's EON (and Universal), who pull the strings.

Well put. We simply aren’t going back and people need to get used to it. I’m sure we’d all love a Bond film every two years - but that can’t be gauranteed in this day and age, so I suggest people focus more on their preferences for Bond going forward, not how frequently they get them.

The landscape is vastly different from the one Cubby was producing in at his height (as I’m now bored of reiterating) and even then he was not ‘top dog’ beyond the late 60s. Nothing B&M have done is any less impressive than Cubby, they’ve just done it less frequently.

The bottom line is that this era, while infrequent, has been very successful and, I hate to say this, but I genuinely think a few posters need to seriously consider if Bond is for them anymore. If I harboured the vitriol for the series and those involved that I regularly see on here, I’d be seriously questioning whether it was time to hit the divorce court in the hope of getting custody of the 60s-80s.

I’ve always been of the mind that I’ll see what happens. I have preferences, but I don’t pine for very specific outcomes mainly because it’s out of my control.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,548
    What is becoming clear to me, based on all the reports I have read, is that Boyle QUIT. So I find it odd that so-called "Bond fans" are on here trashing the producer and the star, suggesting both should leave the franchise. Craig has been described as "bratty" and a "baby" and yet, has anyone considered that the real villain, here, is Boyle. He's the one who, apparently, had a fit over not being able to cast a nobody as the lead villain and walked. THAT is the very definition of a diva, of primadonna. It's Boyle who has now left this film in this predicament, not Babs, not Wilson, not Craig.

Babs has worked on how many Bond films? How many successful?
    Daniel Craig has starred as Bond in how many films? How many successful?
    Boyle has directed how many Bond films?

Time to start laying the blame where it deserved to be.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,969
    People are saying Bond 25 will definitely move ahead with Craig because Universal want him, but what if there is a delay and he simply decides he doesn't want to continue anymore. What if he decides he'd rather spend the time with his new family, and enjoy actually seeing his newborn instead of looking at pictures on his phone on the set of Bond 25. If Craig bails, then they have to find someone else tlwhether it's what they want to do or not.

Also, I don't see what's so insulting about the idea of a new guy in the role. Craig has been around well over a decade now, that's longer than all the others. I think he even surpassed Moore for longest running tenure? So why is it so preposterous that fans are starting to feel the need for someone else to play Bond? It seems natural to me after a certain time, that we are ready for something new and fresh, and shouldn't be mocked or belittled for it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »

Well put. We simply aren’t going back and people need to get used to it. I’m sure we’d all love a Bond film every two years - but that can’t be gauranteed in this day and age, so I suggest people focus more on their preferences for Bond going forward, not how frequently they get them.

The landscape is vastly different from the one Cubby was producing in at his height (as I’m now bored of reiterating) and even then he was not ‘top dog’ beyond the late 60s. Nothing B&M have done is any less impressive than Cubby, they’ve just done it less frequently.

The bottom line is that this era, while infrequent, has been very successful and, I hate to say this, but I genuinely think a few posters need to seriously consider if Bond is for them anymore. If I harboured the vitriol for the series and those involved that I regularly see on here, I’d be seriously questioning whether it was time to hit the divorce court in the hope of getting custody of the 60s-80s.

I’ve always been of the mind that I’ll see what happens. I have preferences, but I don’t pine for very specific outcomes mainly because it’s out of my control.

Very well put (and funny as well)
    When that is done, The Pussy thinks the thing will be indiscernible from previous efforts and will take less than Spectre. Then, and only then, will they find the courage to change the formula, move away from the formula and give the franchise the complete reboot that it so badly needs.
    I agree on the indiscernible part. However a change of formula is not at all what´s needed, but a return to living the formula instead of trying to ape it by means of a checklist. I watched Moonraker the other day with a pal, and we both agreed that no matter if you like or hate the silliness, that film is pure class. That´s what Bond needs, regardless of the degree of extravagance.

• RC7RC7
    People are saying Bond 25 will definitely move ahead with Craig because Universal want him, but what if there is a delay and he simply decides he doesn't want to continue anymore. What if he decides he'd rather spend the time with his new family, and enjoy actually seeing his newborn instead of looking at pictures on his phone on the set of Bond 25. If Craig bails, then they have to find someone else tlwhether it's what they want to do or not.

I don’t think anyone has argued with this point. People make decisions. Right now he hasn’t made that decision.
    Probably because there won't be a delay. Not a significant one at least.
    That being said, just rewatched Baby Driver and I now hope Wright has the job. Based on that car chase alone... Also, he could put on his journeyman director cap on just for Bond and then do his other projects with his own magic spells.
    I have a feeling babs will take whoever says yes first, which isn't necessarily good imo.
    It sounds like babs & craig crafted the picture based on their own ideas & just need someone to shoot the picture. It's doesn't feel as if their going around asking what kind of bond film would you like to make?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    1700 pages and still in preproduction!
  • 007Blofeld wrote: »
    apparently there is going to be an announcement tomorrow by eon according to the James Bond radio https://www.facebook.com/jamesbondradio/photos/a.1453543911549039/2265025277067561/?type=3&theater

This is all summarizing the Archivo 007 story.