No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    They're not looking for Nolan yet, if that Variety article is to be believed.

At the risk of upsetting @PanchitoPistoles, I don't think Nolan will get Bond. I can't see Babs wanting him to overshadow everything, which he will due to his brand power. Moreover, where do they go after him? Based on what happened with the Bat, he could be hard to succeed.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bring in Mendes if it means maintaining a 2019 release, otherwise press the eject button and escape this tenure immediately. They need to shake things up, and Craig only cares about getting his way.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    At this point they need a Director/Writer who knows how to tell an entertaining story and deal with a big production; if he's available I'd contact Brad Bird, and Michael Giacchino can come along as well.
    talos7 wrote: »
    At this point they need a Director/Writer who knows how to tell an entertaining story and deal with a big production; if he's available I'd contact Brad Bird, and Michael Giacchino can come along as well.
    +1. A bit derivative of MI again, but why not? They resuscitated that franchise beautifully. I can't see his style gelling with Mr. Craig though. It could work with someone younger like Hemsworth, Hiddleston or Cavill.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Murdock wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Perhaps Nolan maybe the new proprietor.

Am I alone in thinking Nolan's films are incredibly boring?

Nope, I don't enjoy his movies either.

I like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight has some good stuff in it, but I don't want Nolan anywhere near Bond. Especially after being bored to tears by Inception and Dunkirk.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    bondjames wrote: »
    At the risk of upsetting @PanchitoPistoles, I don't think Nolan will get Bond. I can't see Babs wanting him to overshadow everything, which he will due to his brand power. Moreover, where do they go after him? Based on what happened with the Bat, he could be hard to succeed.

Even MI6-HQ confirmed last year that the rumour about Barbara Broccoli and MGW thinking about selling the Bond franchise after Bond 25 is more than baseless speculation. It is entirely possible at this point that within years somebody will direct a Bond movie without the involvement of Barbara Broccoli.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    If all this is true then this means it will be phase 3 of the whole production process of bond 25!! God I'm really sad about this whole thing!!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Pretty certain this is the last straw for me.

I really don't want Daniel Craig to come back.

I messaged the guy on Twitter who write the Boyle/Thomaz Kot story and he responded saying that attempts are being made to bring Sam Mendes back.

https://twitter.com/HarryFarls

e7ad8eb1493858daf4ad0dcc95e345d1.jpg
    doubleoego wrote: »
    EoN had all the time in the world and this is where we're at? We've waited, been patient, they've had time and this is the news we get. All this, "give EoN time" malarkey that some people toss around no longer applies. 3 years! What a joke.

So this is what square one feels like.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Wasn't Cubby's wish that the series remain in the family?
    bondjames wrote: »

Even MI6-HQ confirmed lst year that the rumour about Barbara Broccoli and MGW thinking about selling the Bond franchise after Bond 25 is more than baseless speculation. It is entirely possible at this point that within years somebody will direct a Bond movie without the involvement of Barbara Broccoli.
    True, I forgot about that. If they do sell, he would be a good man to take it forward on a new canvas.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    "they are looking for a writer or a writer-director to come on to the film"

This could be taken either way. Come on the film they've already started, or come on to the film and start a fresh.

Moving the release date wouldn't be the worst move. Oct/Nov 2019 is already crowded, and likely wont result in the box office $$$ they seem to be after now days.

If this film ever does get made, the press tour is going to be a wild ride.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    attempts are being made to bring Sam Mendes back.

If you were Barbara Broccoli, how would you try to convince Mendes to return and take over an already troubled movie after the negative experience he had directing Spectre? What can they possibly offer him to convince him to return? I don't think a huge sum of money will be enough this time.
    Mendes has that new film he's working on, right? He's already committed.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    talos7 wrote: »

I think EON now need to bring in some alumi to succeed. Everyone they've previously/amicably collaborated with. That way they won't lose any time on drama and they know they can trust them. So forget peripheral crew like Giacchino to be onboard. They'll take Arnold back in a heartbeat over that guy. People like Gassner, Armstrong, and Baird are the people EON are going to fall back on.
    Yes, that is the crux of the matter. Everyone talks about what having Craig brings to Bond, but if he stands between us getting an entertaining movie, then it doesn't matter how good he supposedly is. He has his idea of the type of Bond movie he wants to be a part of, and it no longer matches up with what the majority of fans want to see. Simple as that.
    attempts are being made to bring Sam Mendes back.

If you were Barbara Broccoli, how would you try to convince Mendes to return and take over an already troubled movie after the negative experience he had directing Spectre? What can they possibly offer him to convince him to return? I don't think a huge sum of money will be enough this time.

An even bigger explosion.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more, really. If Cubby were with us and running the show I don't doubt for a moment B25 would have happened last year and we'd be on track for B26 next year.

Maybe, bt Cubby is gone 22 years, and he would be 109 by now.
    Getafix wrote: »

As far as I know Bond 22 initially had a planned release date for May 2008 before being pushed back to November. A 2007 release was never in the cards as far as I can recall. That always seemed more like something fans hoped for just so the film could promote itself with its once in a thousand year chance of releasing a film in the 007 of the decade. I know after MGM had been restructured and SKYFALL was in pre-production that they were hoping to go back to the every other year method and aim for a Bond 24 in 2014, which even then Babs dismissed.

there's an interview with Roger Michell or whatever his name is saying EON wanted QOS to come out in 2007. sounds far fetched but that's what he says

I also thought, the planned release was May 2008. But apparently it was 2007 indeed. Although it's onöly Michell, who says so. But what do we know?
    Speaking in 2012, Michell said the abbreviated schedule ultimately proved too great a hurdle for him to continue.

"They were desperate for a Bond film to come out in 2007, and in the late summer of 2006 we didn't have a script," he told the BBC.

"I'm a preparer," he continued. "I like to really prepare things, and if there's no script it's hard to know how to start.

"And with such a massive project as a Bond film, it seemed to me that I wanted as much time as possible."

Michell revealed his discussions with Bond producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson eventually reached a tipping point.

"It got to the point where they were saying to me, 'I know we don't have a script yet, but would you mind starting to storyboard the action sequences?'

"And I was saying, 'what action sequences?' Basically I freaked out.

"I thought 'I can't do this, this is no good.' So I regretfully said, 'I just don't feel comfortable doing this.'

This indeed sounds amateurish, the director should start on storyboarding without having a story to work with?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Nice to see Jaume Collett-Serra get a mention. He is too low rent for some, but I believe he is just the kind of director to deliver a straight down the line no nonsense spy thriller. 2-3 major sequences, with a lot of spy stuff in between.
    Even MI6-HQ confirmed last year that the rumour about Barbara Broccoli and MGW thinking about selling the Bond franchise after Bond 25 is more than baseless speculation. It is entirely possible at this point that within years somebody will direct a Bond movie without the involvement of Barbara Broccoli.

Don't get me wrong PP, I'd love a Chris Nolan take on Bond. I think the closest he got film wise was with Inception, not the Bat. And that was great, really. Specially the Japan scenes and the Paris stuff, and the snow battle. But I respect BB and McG a lot, really, a lot. So I refuse to bad mouth them without full knowledge of everything that's going on. Also, I'm not the biggest Craig fan, but I do respect all he has done. I'd take him over the Elba, Hardy brutes, and the Hiddleston, Turner wimps.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    The 6.5 year gap after LTK had a reason
    The 4 year gap after QOS had a reason
    The worst part about this long wait which looks to be a 5 year gap is that I feel there no purpose. It’s just laziness and disorganization on EONS part
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,087
    I think if Nolan ever got Bond he would surprise us. It wouldn't just be Batman Begins with Bond instead of Bruce.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 616
    I've seen Stuart Baird mentioned as a possible replacement. He'd be great. I thought EXECUTIVE DECISION (which Baird directed) was one of the best action thrillers of the '90s, and Baird did solid work as an editor on CR and SF.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    giphy.gif
    JET007 wrote: »
    If Hodge really was re-writing the script by P&W, then why weren't they mentioned in the official announcement in May? This rumour smells fishy.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Although this would be wonderful if true. Right? ;) Here's hoping.
    JET007 wrote: »
    If Hodge really was re-writing the script by P&W, then why weren't they mentioned in the official announcement in May? This rumour smells fishy.

And why are they looking for another writer now?
    Geez. Too many different rumors at once to handle.
    I'd rather put faith in Sir Rog's assistant than some of the articles that are just trying to get attention with doom and gloom.
    THR's now saying it will be pushed back -- and that was a possibility even before Boyle left.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-bond-25-miss-november-2019-release-date-1137104