Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

I'm late to the party but have finally seen Fallout at the cinema and despite a slow start to the film I must say I loved it. Everything that I liked from the previous two films and none of the extraneous humour which otherwise blighted an almost perfect Rogue Nation.

I'd agree that this sets a new bar for spy action thrillers from this point onwards. The Bourne films were a breathe of fresh air at the time, and I have no issue with EON going in that direction, but it was nice to see action sequences in Fallout which felt both real yet still had a sense of spectacle and heroism. It will be fun to see where they go next with this.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The MI films constantly manage to make the outrageously perilous appear plausible.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 252
    Interesting Video about some Deleted Scenes

And this part of the helicopter chase was also deleted

mi.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Interesting Video about some Deleted Scenes

And this part of the helicopter chase was also deleted

mi.jpg
    Great stuff. Thanks for posting. The truck scene looks crazy dangerous.

I would have preferred if they had kept the 'fruity' (using Kirby's description) car scene though. She was great and more scenes of her would have been welcomed by this viewer.
    jake24 wrote: »
    People hate him because he's a member of one of the most messed up and universally despised organizations in the world.

That said, he's got immense star power and I'll gladly watch a new MI film, as would most.

I didn't know hes a member of the Trump organisation?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I enjoyed MI but it owed a lot to Bond: oh, that's like the bathroom fight in CR. Oh, that's like Bond jumping on Zorin's mooring line, and on and on.

Nobody does it better than Bond.

Loved Vanessa Kirby, though.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    echo wrote: »
    I enjoyed MI but it owed a lot to Bond: oh, that's like the bathroom fight in CR.
    I thought it owed more to the classic one in True Lies. Fallout homaged a lot of great films, including Bond.
    Oh, that's like Bond jumping on Zorin's mooring line, and on and on.
    I'll give you this one. There was a bit of the TLD finale in it too, just like there was a bit of the OP finale at the start of RN. Cruise and Mcquarrie are fans of Glen, it seems.
    Nobody did it better than Bond. At least when it came to action. Not anymore though.
    Loved Vanessa Kirby, though.
    Agreed. Very nice. Her intro scene had a bit of SF Severine to it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Apparently people are doing it better and it's been this way for some time now. Just because Bond WAS a pioneer, I don't think it diminishes what others are doing, especially when Bond has always aped from other films and even more so when Bond's greatness is largely found in his films of yesteryear. Quite simply, Bond needs to step his game up and if rumours are to be believed, Fallout's success and quality in terms of action and overall engagement has EoN shaken and stirred.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Apparently people are doing it better and it's been this way for some time now. Just because Bond WAS a pioneer, I don't think it diminishes what others are doing, especially when Bond has always aped from other films and even more so when Bond's greatness is largely found in his films of yesteryear. Quite simply, Bond needs to step his game up and if rumours are to be believed, Fallout's success and quality in terms of action and overall engagement has EoN shaken and stirred.

Where are these rumors?
    You'll have to peruse the production diary thread from the last 30 hours or so.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    You'll have to peruse the production diary thread from the last 30 hours or so.

None of those are from actual sources, just fan speculation.
    I don't recall mentioning anything about actual sources but fan speculation; Isn't that what rumours are, no?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    It’s so refreshing to see a filmmaker, with his level of celebrity, with such enthusiasm, commitment and respect for the process and his audience. He’s not whining about how difficult the process is, he revels in it.
    talos7 wrote: »
    It’s so refreshing to see a filmmaker, with his level of celebrity, with such enthusiasm, commitment and respect for the process and his audience. He’s not whining about how difficult the process is, he revels in it.
    Agreed. I love hearing him talk about the creative process. The guy is totally into it and it shows. This is what he was born to do. We, the audience, are the winners.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. I love hearing him talk about the creative process. The guy is totally into it and it shows. This is what he was born to do. We, the audience, are the winners.

Without sounding vapid... +1. You listen to some actors complain about earning 10's of millions, for just a few months work, than not need to do anything for another 3-4 years. A 9-5 job would kill them.

I don't know if Tom can top Fallout, but i'm ready for what comes next.
    I think, in any walk of life, if you love and enjoy your work, you produce a better quality product. Cruise is a good example of that.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

Without sounding vapid... +1. You listen to some actors complain about earning 10's of millions, for just a few months work, than not need to do anything for another 3-4 years. A 9-5 job would kill them.

A very thinly veiled pop at Craig there by any chance?

Cruise is not right in the head anyone with any sense can see that.
    Shardlake wrote: »

Cruise is certainly obsessional, which is good in the sense that he relentlessly drives on to create the best product he can. On the downside his obsession could tip him off the edge.

I don't think it's fair to compare Cruise's "performances" against other actors. I wouldn't expect any actor to complete stuntwork to anywhere near the extent Cruise does. It's not just a job for him but a hobby and a thrill ride.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 11,139

Yes, I vehemently concur.

Same could be said for anyone who plays dress up, wears makeup and pretends to be a make believe character in front of a camera.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    vzok wrote: »

Cruise is certainly obsessional, which is good in the sense that he relentlessly drives on to create the best product he can. On the downside his obsession could tip him off the edge.

Would be tragic if he keeps pushing it until he suffers the Houdini fate.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    After the glowing reviews this one was getting I was kind of left underwhelmed. Some good set pieces, but the plot is felt nonsensical or at least too convoluted (get rid of Max's daughter, she and her gang felt so extraneous). I'll miss Baldwin, he was a great addition to the cast on the last one and it probably felt too soon to give him a death, unless Baldwin just didn't want to commit to any more and said "just kill me" anyway.

All that said, I still had fun. My rankings:

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
    MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
    MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II
    MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION
    MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT
    MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Given the positive critical and fan reaction (and the fact Cruise does the stunts), tad surprised the film has grossed less than Rogue Nation.

It's possible Cruise's age is a factor with the younger demographic. It's hard for kids and 20 somethings to relate to a 50 something actor. They'll prefer younger actors, I guess. It's worth noting Denzel Washington's two Equalizer films grossed under 200 mill worldwide. Washington is in his 60s and the international box office for those two films was really low. I doubt most 20 somethings relate to Washington doing his action stuff.

I think Cruise may have one more MI film in him and then the box office may drop to a point where it's not worth making them. Recast the role or end the franchise.

fanbond123 wrote: »
    Given the positive critical and fan reaction (and the fact Cruise does the stunts), tad surprised the film has grossed less than Rogue Nation.
    It hasn't. It's still tracking ahead of RN and should finish up as the highest grossing MI film (ignoring inflation effects).

I've mentioned the currency impact several times on this site and it shouldn't be ignored. The US $ is on a tear in comparison to many other currencies this year, and especially the UK £ and Chinese Yuan. Since the box office is converted back to the US $ as measuring standard, the box office of other nations is negatively impacted. It's impressive that Fallout is holding its own despite this negative headwind. It's actually performing on par with RN globally. This franchise was remarkably 'consistent' in its box office performance prior to this film, and this is still the case.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

It's possible Cruise's age is a factor with the younger demographic. It's hard for kids and 20 somethings to relate to a 50 something actor. They'll prefer younger actors, I guess. It's worth noting Denzel Washington's two Equalizer films grossed under 200 mill worldwide. Washington is in his 60s and the international box office for those two films was really low. I doubt most 20 somethings relate to Washington doing his action stuff.

I think Cruise may have one more MI film in him and then the box office may drop to a point where it's not worth making them. Recast the role or end the franchise.

I doubt it's due to Cruise's age and more to do with a younger generation not having grown up with Cruise when his career was at his peak. The Cruise of the 80s/90s is a very different beast from the Cruise of the millennium. Going to the theater, a lot of my crowd were fairly old ranging from late 30s to 60s. Where we remember Cruise for the giant star he was in the 20th century, for the new millennium younger audiences came to know him for his couch jumping and as a Scientology spokesman. Adjusted for inflation, the first two films are still way ahead of everything that came after, and a majority of his top 10 are from the 80s/90s.

As for the future of the franchise, I think when Cruise is done they should just retire the film series indefinitely, then have CBS All Access revive it as a TV series with a stronger emphasis on an ensemble cast. I'd love to see an update of it, especially in this more serial style storytelling. They could probably do half a season dedicated to a mission so we see it play out in many ways.
    If being ‘not right in the head’ means unbridled enthusiasm and commitment to ones profession with respect for an audience , then we need more people who are not ‘right in the head’.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Where does this notion come from that people prefer watching people who are resembling themselves on the screen?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661

As for the future of the franchise, I think when Cruise is done they should just retire the film series indefinitely, then have CBS All Access revive it as a TV series with a stronger emphasis on an ensemble cast. I'd love to see an update of it, especially in this more serial style storytelling. They could probably do half a season dedicated to a mission so we see it play out in many ways.

A tv series makes sense. New cast, soft reboot. Star Wars is going to have a live-action show, Star Trek is rumoured to be having a 'Jean-Luc Picard return' version, Lethal Weapon has become a tv show. And James Bond Jnr - with Will Smith's son playing the part - has been greenlit as an exciting new Netflix show! Yes, it's all looking good on the spy tv front! :P This post will self-destruct in five seconds!
    And James Bond Jnr - with Will Smith's son playing the part - has been greenlit as an exciting new Netflix show!

What! What!! Why! :(
    It's a joke. Right?