Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Japanese Chiyo Miyako, who was the world s oldest person has passed away. She was 117. The previous oldest person,Nabi Tajima, was also a Japanese woman(also 117 years old), as is the new one, Kane Tanaka at 115. The world s oldest man, Masazo Nonaka,is also Japanese. He is 113.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,639
    Spain movie poster artist Mac died , was not aware he was still alive until recently......he did the wonderful DN and other Bond re-issues such as FRWL :(
    Ingrid Espelid Hovig died , Norways Martha Stewart......for 32 yrs she had a cooking show , she was super famous in Norway

94 is a good run for her
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Sad to see that today we say goodbye to one of the chuckle brothers RIP Barry To you To Me.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    R.I.P. Barry Chuckle I briefly met both of the Chuckle Brothers years ago, I watched them on the tele as a kid there daft antics were part of a different era.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,964
    delete
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Glad that was a hoax
    RIP Mrs Garrett, Charlotte Rae of Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life.
    One of France's biggest chefs, Joël Robuchon, has passed away, aged 73.

https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/06/joel-robuchon-chef-century-dies-cancerafter-spending-final-years/

I really enjoyed his cooking shows on TV, and even did a few of his recipes. He'll be missed

And yes, farewell to you too, Mrs. Garrett. I really enjoyed watching Charlotte Rae on those shows.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/06/entertainment/obit-charlotte-rae/index.html
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I wish to commemorate the death of our founder, Ian Fleming, some 54 years ago today on 12 August 1964. Gone but certainly never forgotten.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    His writing style is as visceral and captivating today as it was the day he first hammered out those stories on his gold plated typewriter.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,622
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I wish to commemorate the death of our founder, Ian Fleming, some 54 years ago today on 12 August 1964. Gone but certainly never forgotten.
    His writing style is as visceral and captivating today as it was the day he first hammered out those stories on his gold plated typewriter.

Well said to both!
    The Fleming novels are all compulsively re-readable!

I haven't read much else more than once, other than Colonel Sun and the John Pearson book and the first 4 Bond screenplay novelizations ie TSWLM, MR, LTK & GE. I plan to knock down the remaining three again, at some point ie.TND, TWINE & DAD.
    Maybe a John Gardner & Benson re-read too, but it's not priority. I'll probably do another Fleming re-read first. One just gets drawn back to these books.

I've read Mario Puzo's Godfather twice. Maybe revisit the 7 CS Lewis Narnia books again someday, but that's about it, otherwise it's back to the Flemings again and again.
    Much like the Bond movies.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    It's so amazing we're still loving and talking about Fleming's creation half a century after he passed away! Perhaps not a great novelist, but he surely knew how to write pageturners!
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    The author V S Naipaul died last week. His most famous novel was A House For Mr Biswas.

The novel was later adapted as a stage musical, with compositions by Monty Norman. One of the songs written for the play, "Good Sign, Bad Sign", was later rewritten by Norman.... as "The James Bond Theme".
    RIP Albert Millaire. One of Quebec's greatest thespians.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RIP to a genuine true legend in Aretha Franklin.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    RIP to a genuine true legend in Aretha Franklin.

Terrible to read this morning, but a legend indeed. RIP Aretha.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    RIP to the Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,599
    Ashamed to say I did not "discover" Aretha Franklin until that stunning duet with George Michael. As with music discovery, it opened up a new avenue of discovery for me. What a voice !!!
    Almost every Saturday, we see talent shows with young girls trying to sing like her and getting to perhaps 1% of her talent. Hard to watch this video knowing that they have both left us.

I am a big fan of The Blues Brothers listened to the album hundreds of times on cassette as a kid, R. I. P. Aretha... forever immortalised.
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,172
    I'm still disappointed they didn't get her re-arrange RESPECT for the latest theme tune.

"S. P. E. C. T. R. E.!
    Find out who's now E.S.B.!"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    patb wrote: »
    Ashamed to say I did not "discover" Aretha Franklin until that stunning duet with George Michael. As with music discovery, it opened up a new avenue of discovery for me. What a voice !!!
    Almost every Saturday, we see talent shows with young girls trying to sing like her and getting to perhaps 1% of her talent. Hard to watch this video knowing that they have both left us.

This is a great song. I just love that funky intro. So 80's.

RIP Aretha. You were one of the all time greats.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Tokoloshe2 wrote: »
    I'm still disappointed they didn't get her re-arrange RESPECT for the latest theme tune.

"S. P. E. C. T. R. E.!
    Find out who's now E.S.B.!"
    Sock-it-to-B-Sock-it-to-B-Sock-it-to-B-Sock-it-to-B-Sock-it-to-B...

I can hear it.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    This one might have turned me into a feminist... RIP Aretha, in reality you'll live forever. (As an aside, good thing Annie is still around.)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    This one might have turned me into a feminist... RIP Aretha, in reality you'll live forever. (As an aside, good thing Annie is still around.)
    Another funky classic. Love it. Quite apropos for the times (UP) we live in.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just stumbled across this for the first time (and yes, I've known Aretha's as well as Carole's original recordings of "Natural Woman" since about 1970) and I find it totally smashing. No wonder that Obama is shedding tears (I did too now) and Carole King goes over the top.
    R. I. P. Aretha Franklin
  • R.I.P. Diva Aretha Franklin

Foste a Melhor de Muitas
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What an amazing talent Aretha Franklin was.
    RIP