Comparing Some Kind Of Hero and James Bond Archives

NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
in Literary 007 Posts: 7,567
I have read Field and Chowdhury's epic 'Some Kind Of Hero' and thoroughly enjoyed it (despite occasional grammatical and factual inaccuracies).

I was wondering who has read the James Bond Archives book by Paul Duncan? And if they cover the same kind of detail?

If anyone has read both would you recommend one over the other, or are they both worthy of attention?

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Good question Nackers. I have both. The Archives book can be quite expensive. My one is the "small" edition, that cost me about £30 from Amazon.

Basically they both cover the same details. Hero offers a broader view than Archives, going into the world at large, and Bond's context within it, a bit like the fabulous tome, James Bond: The Legacy. Whilst Archives is a bit more Bond-centric.

Duncan instead covers the films from archived interviews by the cast and crew. Which leads to some interesting stuff. If you have viewed the wonderful "Making of" documentaries, narrated by Patrick Macnee, you'll recognise a lot of stories in Archives, however.

In fact, I would say that they compliment each other. From a "hard facts" perspective I would buy Archives - for example the book gives dates for all the draft screenplays to TLD, while Hero just provides one with a overview. A pretty extensive overview, mind you!

Hero is probably the more engrossing of the two, as Archives can be a little dry.

Hope that helps @NicNac! :)

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    royale65 wrote: »
    Good question Nackers. I have both. The Archives book can be quite expensive. My one is the "small" edition, that cost me about £30 from Amazon.

Basically they both cover the same details. Hero offers a broader view than Archives, going into the world at large, and Bond's context within it, a bit like the fabulous tome, James Bond: The Legacy. Whilst Archives is a bit more Bond-centric.

Duncan instead covers the films from archived interviews by the cast and crew. Which leads to some interesting stuff. If you have viewed the wonderful "Making of" documentaries, narrated by Patrick Macnee, you'll recognise a lot of stories in Archives, however.

In fact, I would say that they compliment each other. From a "hard facts" perspective I would buy Archives - for example the book gives dates for all the draft screenplays to TLD, while Hero just provides one with a overview. A pretty extensive overview, mind you!

Hero is probably the more engrossing of the two, as Archives can be a little dry.

I agree with this, but being a massive Bond fan I have both.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    royale65 wrote: »

I agree. Hero uncovers some details and facts that weren't known before. Much because it wasn't an official book from EON, like Archives was. The small problem I have with Hero is that some facts in it contradicts eachother.

Archives is a fantastic book if you're looking for great pictures and a more broad perspective on the actual making of the films. Hero was a more interesting read for me.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thank you guys, I appreciate your input.
    @royale65 the suggestion of Archive being a little dry does put me off somewhat. But @PropertyOfALady ‘s comment that being a massive Bond fan means he has both does make me realise I should look at it the same way.

What I may do though is wait for reprints after B25 comes out.

I think I read that the errors in Hero have been sorted out for the paperback print run.

Thanks again
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I “learned“ much more in hero. It's really the better read.

Archives looks great because of the pics,and it has a lot of informations about the development of DN and the other early films. But the texts for the newer movies don't go in so much detail. And as already mentioned: a lot is the same as in the dvd interviews. Nevertheless, you should buy both☺