Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 5,185
    My least favorite movies from each actor,
    But i'll go with FYEO because at least it tried to be somewhat respectful to Fleming.

MR is just more fun. Beautiful cinematography, locations, sets and Soundtrack. NSNA has Connery and that's it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FYEO

&

MR
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    YOLT and MR.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    YOLT vs. FYEO - this was a difficult choice. I really like parts of YOLT. It is the more iconic film, and one which defined the template for larger than life Bond entries, which he improved upon (imho) with TSWLM. However, I give the win to FYEO here. This is a film I didn't like when I was younger. I found it boring to be honest. These days it is one of my most viewed Bond films on blu. I find it has tremendous repeat viewing power for me. In fact, I was planning to watch it again sometime soon. For that reason alone, it gets the win from me here, although Carole Bouquet and the amazing stuntwork would have guaranteed that too.

MR vs. NSNA - I'm not an NSNA hater and really couldn't care less about all the shenanigans behind the release of this film, including McClory's long battle with Fleming and EON. I just see this as another Bond film, even though it lacks many of the tropes. As I've noted before, since the Daniel Craig era began I have begun to enjoy NSNA far more. In many ways, it was a film ahead, and has elements which EON have borrowed for their more recent entries. Connery is in top form in this, and Barbara Carrera and Maria Brandauer nail their respective roles. However, I can't give it the win in this instance, because I just find the OTT and much maligned MR to be so much fun. It's a film I loved as a boy, disliked as I got older, and have now gone back to loving like a kid again.

Tough choices in both cases though.
    FYEO
    NSNA
    YOLT (Only because i havent watched FYEO for well over a year,i will soon !! )

&

MR (NSNA is not an official Bond film so its a write-off from the start in this to me.)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,657
    One of the rounds demanding tougher decisions.
    FYEO has been (on again/off again) my favourite Moore Bond at some times. While YOLT is too silly and inconsistent in many regards to be a top-of-the-line Connery movie. So it's FYEO for me here.

Until a few years ago, I would have chosen NSNA over MR right away, but my love for MR has been growing considerably lately to the point where I find it more desirable to re-watch than TSWLM, for instance. So my vote goes to MR in this case, while NSNA would safely beat the likes of OP and AVTAK and TMWTGG.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,262
    YOLT

and

MR

My 2 favorite Bond films when I was a kid. I never had a problem with outer space in the world of 007, especially when combined with the work of Ken Adam, John Barry and Lewis Gilbert.
    FYEO ..my recent viewings of YOLT haven't been good!
    MR...but NSNA viewings have improved over time!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    YOLT
    MR
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    YOLT
    MR
  • GBFGBF
    FYEO. It is one of my all time favourites. YOLT is great too but has a rather disappointing 2nd Act.

MR. It has grown on me recently. Still it is not one of my favourites but NSNA is one of my least watched Bond films.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    FYEO and MR
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Same here: FYEO and MR
    FYEO and NSNA for me.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    YOLT
    MR
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    First off, it's FYEO without a doubt.

The second match-up is much closer, but I'm going to have to side with NSNA on this one. I've always enjoyed both, however.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Close, but I'll go with FYEO on the first round.

Second round, no competition MR.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    FYEO beats YOLT 15-11

MR beats NSNA 20-6

Round 52:

TSWLM vs GE

and

QOS vs SP
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    For me TSWLM obliterates GE.
    SP beats QOS, but that one is very close.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    GE
    SP
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TSWLM beats GE quite easily.
    SP beats QOS by a large margin.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,000
    GE over TSWLM barely.

SP over QOS by miles.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    GE over TSWLM barely.

SP over QOS by miles.
    Same.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 13,879
    QOS vs SP
    Cheers, mate. :)>- Intrigued to see this outcome.

TSWLM > GE (Spy is a Top 5. GE used to be, but his slipped down a bit. Still in the Top 10 though)
    QOS > SP (I love both films, but Quantum is a truly underrated gem with some very creative concepts)
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Really interested in seeing this round's outcomes.

I prefer TSWLM over GE, but only just. The former simply looks more cinematic and 'grand' on screen and the stuntwork is remarkable.

QoS vs SP is very tough, because they're polar opposites of one another. QoS has energy, but lacks (basic) filmmaking qualities, yet SP has no energy despite showcasing stunning filmmaking skills. Usually I'm all about entertainment value. Although here I would lean towards SP as the people behind the camera at least made a film of high quality.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GE

SP
    For my tastes it’s comprehensive victories to TSWLM and QOS.

Still not sure where to rank SP.
    TSWLM edges out GE; both are among my favorites.

QOS beats SP pretty handily.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    TSWLM & QOS