Writer's Block

2»

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have meant to post something here for a long time, but I give up.

That's one hell of a paradox.
    When I think of writers block, and how to cope with it, I tend to think of writing as comprising two different styles or types. The first type might be derived from the style of Herodotus, who put into writing what previously had been the oral tradition. His writing is noted for what might be called a rich and enchanting style as found in his The Persian Wars. Thucydides by contrast, and yet his contemporary, was more a record of personal experience. More scientific in technique, with carefully chosen episodes oriented towards a cause and effect of human experience. Hemingway would start each day staring at a blank piece of paper and perhaps spend hours searching for the right words or phrasing to express his idea. Fleming on the other hand seems to have allowed his stories to flow as if from a stream of personal experience and perhaps an oral narrative of other's experience.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Thank you, @Legionnaire. Very interesting insights to how great authors deal with this problem.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,727
    This video of Roald Dahl's working methods rings very true to me as well. I'm very good at these "delaying tactics" too when I feel in the mood for writing. I can't compare myself to Roald Dahl, of course, but it's nice and reassuring to know that the literary greats faced the same problems as us mere mortals, all the same!

edited August 2018 Posts: 17,727
    Stewart Lee - "On Not Writing":

I thought that I'd include this video here as it's somewhat related to the topic at hand. It's very interesting to listen to, on making writing sound "not written"! Lee is my favourite stand-up comedian, by the way.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 2,887
    I once attended a Q&A with John Cleese where someone asked "I have a really, really, really bad case of writer's block, are there any tips you can give me?" Cleese replied, tongue-in-cheek, "I think you're a fraud!" and said a professional writer can't afford to have writer's block.

There are certainly cases of prolific writers who have never experienced writer's block. Perhaps their passion or mania for writing keeps them at the computer. Speaking personally, I am a chronic procrastinator in everything, especially writing. I envision the masterpiece in my head but know it will inevitably come out much diminished on paper, so I dread the debilitating act of writing.

I have found several ways of dealing with this. First, it helps to work to a deadline imposed by someone you don't want to let down. This gives extra motivation to get the damn thing done. And if you know you can't finish on time, ask for a short extension ahead of the deadline.

Second: if you're a perfectionist, give yourself time to rewrite. Don't be afraid to write a sh*tty first draft, just hack it out! But make sure you've given yourself time to put the draft away for a while and then return to it. Rewriting is more fun than writing, and by returning fresh to your work you'll quickly see how it can be improved. So instead of being intimidated by the blank page, fill it up any you can. Better to have written badly than have never written at all, especially if you have time to revise. This was the method of Fleming himself, who advised against waiting for inspiration. Vomit onto the page and clean it up later!
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,099
    Revelator wrote: »
    I have found several ways of dealing with this. First, it helps to work to a deadline imposed by someone you don't want to let down.

Oh yes! Sometimes I have to invent my own deadlines. I'm also very into rewarding myself with drinks/snacks/TV when I hit a target.

I'm not so keen on messy first drafts; I'd rather do it slowly first time and have less editing to do later, because I loathe editing. It's like listening to a recording of your own voice.
    Another very useful video from You Tube: Writer's Block Instant Cure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKtcXbjwD4

I think this is the only way around it and I've started writing a bit again as a result. Getting something down on the page is much better than a blank screen; you can always edit it later to better say what you want it to say.
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I'm not so keen on messy first drafts; I'd rather do it slowly first time and have less editing to do later, because I loathe editing. It's like listening to a recording of your own voice.
    I have found this to be true for writing, and in fact for creative endeavors in general. Seems the only way to fight it is to just keeping going and regularly come up with new material, to the point you stop caring about it.
    Our own Kingsley Amis once famously said, “The art of writing is the art of applying the seat of one's trousers to the seat of one's chair.”

Not a bad way of putting it. Sometimes you really need to force yourself to be present at your PC, typewriter or with your pen and piece of paper.
    I'm suffering from a writer's block right now. Maybe it's the job hunting. Anyway, I got a novel to write after a first draft. And also a short story to finish for writing workshop, theme: "picnic".
    Revelator wrote: »
    I once attended a Q&A with John Cleese where someone asked "I have a really, really, really bad case of writer's block, are there any tips you can give me?" Cleese replied, tongue-in-cheek, "I think you're a fraud!" and said a professional writer can't afford to have writer's block.

There are certainly cases of prolific writers who have never experienced writer's block. Perhaps their passion or mania for writing keeps them at the computer. Speaking personally, I am a chronic procrastinator in everything, especially writing. I envision the masterpiece in my head but know it will inevitably come out much diminished on paper, so I dread the debilitating act of writing.

I have found several ways of dealing with this. First, it helps to work to a deadline imposed by someone you don't want to let down. This gives extra motivation to get the damn thing done. And if you know you can't finish on time, ask for a short extension ahead of the deadline.

Second: if you're a perfectionist, give yourself time to rewrite. Don't be afraid to write a sh*tty first draft, just hack it out! But make sure you've given yourself time to put the draft away for a while and then return to it. Rewriting is more fun than writing, and by returning fresh to your work you'll quickly see how it can be improved. So instead of being intimidated by the blank page, fill it up any you can. Better to have written badly than have never written at all, especially if you have time to revise. This was the method of Fleming himself, who advised against waiting for inspiration. Vomit onto the page and clean it up later!

Some excellent advise here. Lately when I write I’ve been making quick drafts for my short stories and doing very heavy editing later which I think I’ve come to prefer over trying to make it as perfect as possible the first time. Interestingly, editing is actually my favorite part of the creative process. Really satisfying fixing flaws and just seeing things start to come together fully!
    Ian Fleming observed a writing regime. I admire writers with that discipline. As for me, I am terribly undisciplined. I write when the mood strikes, often go for long stretches writing nothing, starting and stopping a project that is eventually finished or not at all.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm suffering from a writer's block right now. Maybe it's the job hunting. Anyway, I got a novel to write after a first draft. And also a short story to finish for writing workshop, theme: "picnic".

@Ludovico , keep a journal and write in it what your block is in this moment (is it the character, the setting, the scene, motivations?). And start free flowing ideas to solve the problems— don’t judge your solutions, just free flow write in a journal that no one will see but you. I almost guarantee that you’ll have solved the block , enabling you to continue writing!! Good luck!
    peter wrote: »

@Ludovico , keep a journal and write in it what your block is in this moment (is it the character, the setting, the scene, motivations?). And start free flowing ideas to solve the problems— don’t judge your solutions, just free flow write in a journal that no one will see but you. I almost guarantee that you’ll have solved the block , enabling you to continue writing!! Good luck!

Thanks! I think my problem now is that I lack energy. I need to find a new job, prepare interviews, learn about companies, etc. So I have little time to write and when I do the words come off as telegraphic. I finished one short story a few weeks ago not to my satisfaction but to finish it. I had the conclusion to write after the clinax. It had a lot of dialogues but little description, so it wasn't very immersive compared to what I had written before. And I haven't touched my novel in ages.
    Perfectionism is often a component of writer's block so this interview with the late David Foster Wallace is connected to this topic:

Dragonpol wrote: »
    Perfectionism is often a component of writer's block so this interview with the late David Foster Wallace is connected to this topic:

That was interesting, thanks.

I'm slowly getting out of writer's block. I need to write more of my novel. started a new story, not sure if it can be developed into a short story or more.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 1 Posts: 17,727

Thanks @peter. No, not heard of that book before. I'll have to order it! :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 1 Posts: 23,447
    I mainly write textbooks. Writer's block hasn't hit me yet, but that's because I have it easy. The contents do the talking themselves; all I have to do is provide textual tissue to tie everything together. I would never call that "writing". The prose is cold, concise and functional.

I have, however, tried to write something else before, and that hasn't worked out quite as well as I had hoped. I can even point out the errors in my method: trying to drop that perfect sentence right from the get-go and freezing up at the beginning. Yet it's hard for me to overcome these issues. So I deeply respect anyone, including several members here, who have already accomplished great writing. @peter and @Dragonpol, to name but two close friends here, command my admiration.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited March 1 Posts: 8,250

Please do. It helps one battle with that inner critic… It’s incredible!!

Edit: @DarthDimi , thanks for the kind words!

I do believe you have the imagination and intelligence to write something quite spectacular. I’m always available to chat if you need a sounding-board (but, in my humble opinion, outside of mining for an idea, everything then hinges on figuring out your ending, then outline, outline, outline, character bios (explore them, and they start talking to you), then outline a little more, then a little more, then…. Hit the first draft hard and fast. Don't look back, don't re-read. When you’re done, celebrate that you completed the first draft, but never show anyone (Hemingway was correct: most first drafts are sh!t); the first draft is for you, and you only.
    Put the draft away for a few weeks.
    Print it up.
    Read it in one go if possible. And out loud.
    The next day, grab a red pen, and start the re-writing process.
    And then re-write and rewrite and rewrite, until you feel you’re ready to show trusted people the work. You’re looking for feedback, quality feedback, which will catapult you into the polishing stages!!).

Go for it Darth! I’ve got your back!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 1 Posts: 23,102
    I still have writers block, though will revisit what I wrote decades ago soon. On leave for best part of a month and need to go through everything i own again for annual clear out.

I do have creative block, I have not bothered to create any kind of art for well over a year. (That is not entirely true, photography has been my main outlet of creativity),

I think if for your profession requires you to be objective and analytical it tends to steer you away from being creative.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

Please do. It helps one battle with that inner critic… It’s incredible!!

Edit: @DarthDimi , thanks for the kind words!

I do believe you have the imagination and intelligence to write something quite spectacular. I’m always available to chat if you need a sounding-board (but, in my humble opinion, outside of mining for an idea, everything then hinges on figuring out your ending, then outline, outline, outline, character bios (explore them, and they start talking to you), then outline a little more, then a little more, then…. Hit the first draft hard and fast. Don't look back, don't re-read. When you’re done, celebrate that you completed the first draft, but never show anyone (Hemingway was correct: most first drafts are sh!t); the first draft is for you, and you only.
    Put the draft away for a few weeks.
    Print it up.
    Read it in one go if possible. And out loud.
    The next day, grab a red pen, and start the re-writing process.
    And then re-write and rewrite and rewrite, until you feel you’re ready to show trusted people the work. You’re looking for feedback, quality feedback, which will catapult you into the polishing stages!!).

Go for it Darth! I’ve got your back!!

Thanks for the encouraging words, peter! Means a lot to me.

Thanks. No I haven't. I must confess I haven't read many books on writing.
  • peterpeter Toronto

It’s a great meditation and he helps us manage the inner critic (that voice in our head that nags us, belittles our creativity, accuses us of being a fraud…)… it’s amazing @Ludovico …!!!

It’s a great meditation and he helps us manage the inner critic (that voice in our head that nags us, belittles our creativity, accuses us of being a fraud…)… it’s amazing @Ludovico …!!!

Thanks. I finally got over a long writer's block. The problem is, I'm not progressing in my drafted Nobel, but writing a new story.