Martin Campbell - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    talos7 wrote: »
    I enjoyed Solo very much; without knowing the troubled backstory, it’s a very good film. With knowledge of the disastrous backstory,, it is a testament to Ron Howard’s incredible skills as a director. To come in and at a sprint, with the clock ticking, re-shoot 80% of what had already been filmed is a Herculean directorial accomplishment.
    Good to know. Thanks. I'm a huge fan of his and look forward to seeing it soon when it gets a home release.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Lol, I’ll have to show this to my Daughter. :D

I have two daughters and a boy-- don't bother showing your daughter what I said...

At least they're consistent. No mater what, we're idiots...

(until they need a bill paid).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I also liked Solo. It should have been better, of course - it's nowhere near the film a legendary character like Han Solo deserves - but my respect for Ron Howard after it couldn't be any higher.

Go in with reasonable expectations and you might find some enjoyment, @bondjames
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ha! Yep.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I enjoyed Solo very much; without knowing the troubled backstory, it’s a very good film. With knowledge of the disastrous backstory,, it is a testament to Ron Howard’s incredible skills as a director. To come in and at a sprint, with the clock ticking, re-shoot 80% of what had already been filmed is a Herculean directorial accomplishment.

Oh yeah.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Solo was fine. Nothing amazing but not a bad film.

I’m not a big Star Wars fan though and just find these sequels a bit soulless, line they’re being pumped out just for the sake of earning Disney more billions. Obviously there’s a lot of effort there as well but the heart seems to have been lost along the way.

I am a big Rob Howard fan and have touted him as a Bond Director. Think he’d be great.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Campbell would be an interesting choice. Directing a third Bond actor? That would get Campbell interested in returning! However Bond 26 should be the start of a new post-Craig Bond era and hiring Campbell would seem like stepping back into the past, perhaps? I'd prefer someone like Chris Nolan. A fresh approach.

It's hard to imagine Eon hiring an established American director like Ron Howard. I don't think they'll ever do that. I would have loved to have seen Die Hard director John McTiernan direct a Bond film. James Cameron might have been a cool choice too.
    The embargo on American directors is so stale, tired and pathetic, and I say that as a Brit.

Cameron directing Dalton's third film in 1991 would have been interesting. Although I'd have preferred Ridley Scott I think. Ron Howard should be under consideration. Hell, why not even Spielberg - Minority Report and some of his other more recent offerings have been top notch. It's still not too late.

I really don't want Campbell back though. He had one very good and one very bad entry. No need to bring him back.

edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Getafix wrote: »
    The embargo on American directors is so stale, tired and pathetic, and I say that as a Brit.

Cameron directing Dalton's third film in 1991 would have been interesting. Although I'd have preferred Ridley Scott I think. Ron Howard should be under consideration. Hell, why not even Spielberg - Minority Report and some of his other more recent offerings have been top notch. It's still not too late.

I really don't want Campbell back though. He had one very good and one very bad entry. No need to bring him back.
    I think Campbell has one more in him if they move forward quickly with B26, but realize that time is catching up to him.

I agree on your other points. American directors shouldn't be excluded, Ron Howard could make a superb Bond film, and Ridley Scott could as well. I've seen both Trust (Danny Boyle's tv version) and All The Money In The World (Ridley's film version tackling the same subject of the Getty kidnapping). They are quite different and there are positives and negatives to both their styles. Having said that, Ridley does bring a certain aesthetic that is suitable for Bond, and the way he was able to replace Spacey with Plummer at such rapid pace suggests the man still has something in the tank.
    Apparently Scott likes to work fast. Imagine if EON had asked him to make 3 films in the early 90s?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Someone like Peter Berg could handle the action set-pieces very well.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I very much like Peter Berg's films, @DaltonCraig007

An interesting choice, and certainly can do high-octane stuff.

Cameron is Canadian.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Cameron is Canadian.

Oh well. I suppose he'd qualify then any way under the tedious 'must be from the Commonwealth' rule.

I assume Ron Howard is American? I'd prefer him over Cameron any way.

I'd have been interested (perhaps) to see what Cameron might have done back in the 90s, but not now. I guess True Lies is his Bond film any way.

I could never figure out the American director embargo thing. Considering the producers were/are American (okay, Saltzman was Canadian, but close enough),
    many of the writers have been American then what's the deal with the director? It didn't hurt that a Brit - Mendes - was able to direct a film called American Beauty.
    British know more about American culture than vice versa.

Canadian director Ted Kotcheff was one of the filmmakers EON seriously considered for Bond 17 w/Dalton. He's made some interesting movies, including WAKE IN FRIGHT, SPLIT IMAGE, and FIRST BLOOD. I would have liked to see him helm that project.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,532
    My dream director for Bond 17 with Dalton was John McTiernan. He could do action extraordinarily well as was shown with Die Hard and classy projects like The Thomas Crown Affair.

Ted Kotcheff was an interesting choice. John Byrum was considered but I'm not familiar with his work at all.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The script should've been heavily rewritten, though.

I think Dalton suits better to simpler Bond adventures that involve more down-to-earth threats in the vein of From Russia with Love rather than the larger-than-life ones like Goldfinger.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,883

I think Dalton suits better to simpler Bond adventures that involve more down-to-earth threats in the vein of From Russia with Love rather than the larger-than-life ones like Goldfinger.
    I agree, at least based on the evidence. I think that applies to Craig too, based on what I've seen to date.
    Escalus5 wrote: »

Canadian director Ted Kotcheff was one of the filmmakers EON seriously considered for Bond 17 w/Dalton. He's made some interesting movies, including WAKE IN FRIGHT, SPLIT IMAGE, and FIRST BLOOD. I would have liked to see him helm that project.
    I didn't know that. First Blood is an exceptionally well made film. Truly brilliant.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Judging by the B17 treatment, I think the only section that would have to be rewritten would be the third act. It's just too over the top for Dalton.
    bondjames wrote: »

I agree, at least based on the evidence. I think that applies to Craig too, based on what I've seen to date.

I didn't know that. First Blood is an exceptionally well made film. Truly brilliant.

I remember reading that before. Yes First Blood is excellent, particularly the first couple of acts. It becomes slightly ridiculous at the end but still a great movie.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    To me, Martin Campbell is the best director ever. In every film (even the darkest ones) he manages you to make you laugh and give you breathtaking action sequences. I take Campbell over any of those A-star directors out there.

As a matter of fact, I did some "Campbell Collection" DVD covers a while ago...

campbell_collection_1.png campbell_collection_2.png campbell_collection_3.png campbell_collection_4.png campbell_collection_5.png campbell_collection_6.png campbell_collection_7.png campbell_collection_8.png

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2018 Posts: 16,328
    Those covers are awesome. Excellent work, @NS_writings. :-bd
    bondjames wrote: »

The novel First Blood is far better.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Those covers are awesome. Excellent work, @NS_writings. :-bd

Not a professional designer and I did them on MS Power Point, so, thanks a lot :D
    Spines!
    spines.png
    My real Martin Campbell collection.
    100_9615.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The Sex Thief, even, @NS_writings. That's a complete (visual) collection, nice to see.
    Worth printing out and slipping into those disc cases.
    The Sex Thief, even, @NS_writings. That's a complete (visual) collection, nice to see.
    Worth printing out and slipping into those disc cases.

Thank you. Haven't seen Sex Thief. I did watch Eskimo Nell - nothing out of this world but gave me some laughs.