Special features are dying

PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
in General Movies & TV Posts: 3,675
Why is it that in recent years, both the quality and quantity of special features have gone down?

Years ago, the Harry Potter series had excellent special features on the DVDs, which looks like they had to do a lot more extra filming for them. I remember thinking that with the introduction of Blu-ray, we'd be in for even more with movies across the board! But it seems movies all over the place, including Bond (cue the video blogs which we can happily watch online), have largely done away with them. Sometimes, they're half the reason I buy the film, if not more.

So what's happening here? Are special features on the way out? Will we be getting only the films soon?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Incredibles had great special features.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    A new era of Home entertainment, simple as that.
    Streaming is killing DVD's so the movie companies don't think it's worth putting money into producing special features.
    This is a shame, and in my mind they are shooting themselves in the foot. Surely putting some more money into the Craig era DVD's would warrant a good return?
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    I used to spend hours watching DVD extras when I was younger. I fondly remember getting the extended editions of Lord of the Rings and spending my whole Christmas holidays watching hours and hours (and hours!) of the commentaries and documentaries.

However the only hard copies I have bought in recent years have been the recent Bond's. I stream everything else. There is now *so* much content I haven't really been interested in special features as I have so much to get through already!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Any of you do streaming? I use Netflix for TV shows only. I don't use anything for movies except those old antiquated things called discs.

That and On Demand from cable.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I stream off Netflix/Hulu/HBO Now/Amazon Prime (used to use Vudu but no longer), but anything I properly enjoy and rewatch I just purchase on blu-ray and 4K.

I do agree on special features slowly dying; hell, look at how barebones the last two James Bond releases were. Very upsetting to see, as those are the special features I tend to enjoy the most.
    I hope there never comes a time where all we get are the films. I want every distributor to be on Criterion Collection's level, but that's not going to happen.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited July 2018 Posts: 17,687
    I buy blu rays to watch movies and favorite series. Netflix is for stuff I just have a passing interest in occasionally. Special Features are great for classic movies, but I don't miss them on newer ones. And they know this, I guess. ;)
    Yeah, special features will likely die more and more, past for companies like Arrow and Criterion. It's a shame, but it costs them more money and time with nothing extra in return for them, so it's merely a business decision.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,416
    Sometimes there is not enough room, whyle i think there can at dvd with extra's. See example Robin (2010) 2 disc Steelbook Bluray, whyle Universal first plan also 2 disc Se dvd.

Potc 4 to give example. VS get 2 bonus BD's. In The Netherlands the first release get DVD include with feature who is missing on BD. Also the BD it self get not much. 3D release also without that future. I hoped on new 3 disc 3D release of Potc 4 around the time of Potc5 with bonus disc with all extra's of those missing extra's from vs 2 disc, dvd feature, music feature and preview of potc 5. It don't happen.

Also it is shame there not at extra flyer with alternate title for soundtrack of Potc 5. The 5th movie to expensive and i whant the 3D release. Again disapointed release not include a sleeve.

So far Ant-Man is only one i have as 2 disc 3D release from Disney since there quite with BD/DVD combopack with sleeve or BD with sleeve. But prices of Disney and Warner rise those days to 30-35 for 3D release and 25-30 for BD release. Lack of sleeve or extra's.

Disney taken over Fox is bad news. But since Fox also say goodbye to sleeve 3D releases it be more dificult to get. In the beginning atleast we get more extra's on BD back for it and start price be 3 euro's lower. Not that it helps, because it is stil expensive. Also i dislike it Warner re-release 3D releases on the moment it whas close to price drop and some websites it stil not sjure or you get correct one. This also happend with re-package of tv series.

Also it does not help that some movies are not released at all, or only on dvd but stil high priced.

Talking about re-package: whyle it don't help me i like what Universal did with complete collection boxsets of The A-team, Knight Rider, Airwolf and Miami Vice. Paramount did the same with The Love Boat S1&S2 and Happy Days S1 till S4. If there a bit smarter and release others seasons, mabey i wil buy love boat.

But i don't understand why Paramount not releasing 2 sets like that with Magnum Pi and 2 sets of Mission Impossible tv series include bonus disc. Insteed very cheap paper boxset of each of those two series and not include bonus disc.

I whas intrest of Wonder Woman boxset, but Warner making the mistake for hiding the package, besides limited problem of it. Now it is not avaible any more.
    I wanted to take the plunge into DVDs because of the special features. I remember seeing the list of the features on one of the Bond websites and in those pre-YouTube days it was unbelievable for a fan. Then when you saw the upgrade in picture and sound quality it was a whole new world.

It wasn't just the Bonds. You could explore things for many of your favorite films and it was a golden time to be a film fan. Blu-ray took it to another level. That was about 9-10 years ago when it peaked and has gone downhill somewhat from there due to the popularity of streaming and you can now find most of the special features on YouTube.

The popularity of streaming made it more convenient, not just killing video stores but also the video sections of brick and mortar stores. I personally like the experience of going into a place and discovering a title I wasn't aware of or finding a Blu or DVD for a good price. It just seems more personal. There was a real excitement about going out when a new release came out and purchasing it. You just don't get that with streaming. Call me old school. I get a sense of pride when looking at my library of titles. Does anyone really get that staring at a screen with titles?

I won't bother upgrading to 4K. I don't have a TV that will show off the capabilities and don't feel the need to pay for what I am already satisfied with all over again. I have no desire to watch shows on my phone or computer as if I'm going to watch something worth my time I want it to be in a format that shows it off in the best way.

As others have said above, I have watched movies on Netflix and such but even those don't show up as looking better than they do on Blu.
    @BT3366, that's what I miss about renting movies in a rental store versus streaming them, renting them online, getting them from Netflix, etc. - there was something quite rewarding and personal about going through the films physically in front of me, picking out what I wanted to see that week. I miss it, but seeing as that idea is dead these days, I appreciate that I got to enjoy it and experience it during my childhood.
    Yeah, great memories. It's sad to think many of the young people will never have that kind of experience, maybe even some members here.

We still have a place called Family Video that's a national rental store and I've been there a couple times this summer. And the local libraries have a great selection, so it's not completely gone, just way past its prime.

The other thing with special features is when I watch a film I just get curious about it, especially if I liked it, so I want to know more. I often end up after a viewing on Wikipedia, IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes or wherever learning more. Special features can offer more, particularly when it's got complicated effects or stunts.

I think we can all do without the ones with the self-congratulatory tone or just repeat clips from the films.
    They were quite prominent up until about five years ago here in West Virginia, but I suppose as more and more of us move to streaming and digital, they're bound to disappear. We still have a few backwoods mom and pop shops for those who are far from bigger towns and have Internet connections so terrible that streaming isn't even an option.

I've noticed a good bit of films lately get almost nothing but movie trailers as special features, which are utterly worthless for me.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I was relatively happy with the special features for CR, QOS, and SF. The ones for SP were a joke. One featurette about the PTS, trailers, video blogs, and stills? Please.
    SF was the last one to have a proper set of special features; SP was barebones, which is laughable considering how much money they put into the film itself. Such a shame.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Spectre had laughable special features it's sad because back in the 90's early 2000's and late 2000's special features were a given now all they care about is the money and not quality and are lazy
    I also recall how disappointing and useless the bonus feature disc were on the 50th anniversary set were. It epitomized the laziness as far as unique features goes.

At the time they were touting the Being Bond segment as having fresh interviews with the actors and they turned out to be interviews already on the discs. Designing 007 didn't so much go behind the scenes of that unique event but was more about showing clips from the series. The World of Bond compilations weren't any different from what I've seen others do on YouTube, so that wasn't original.

As for Skyfall videoblogs, they were already available. That was a case where I was particularly excited to have all the films available on Blu for the first time, so that didn't bother me so much about the bonus disc, but you couldn't avoid the feeling they could've done it better.
  • zb007zb007 UK
    Remington wrote: »
    I was relatively happy with the special features for CR, QOS, and SF. The ones for SP were a joke. One featurette about the PTS, trailers, video blogs, and stills? Please.

Qos didnt have much on it i wish they would redo the Brosnan films too with those documentaries like they had for dr no to license to kill
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    zb007 wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »

Qos didnt have much on it i wish they would redo the Brosnan films too with those documentaries like they had for dr no to license to kill

That'd be awesome. Wouldn't be the same without Patrick Macnee though.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires

A *sad* new era of Home Entertainment. :(

A *sad* new era of Home Entertainment. :(

The prices go up and the special features go down. It really is a shame.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Much like everything else.
    Pretty soon if they are only offering movies I won't buy them.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    In the words of that famous philosopher (and used car salesman), Terry Tibbs:

"Don't buy the DVD for the DVD. Buy the DVD for the DVD Extras. Which is what you got."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, I get the physical media of my favourite movies and TV shows, for the extras.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have noticed on Amazon Prime, with the star wars movies you can buy the special features as a separate download etc. So perhaps that's the future with a bit of double dipping in to the fans wallets ?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    iTunes does that too.

What I miss especially was the interactive menus. They used to be so fun and creative back in the 2000s.
    iTunes does that too.

What I miss especially was the interactive menus. They used to be so fun and creative back in the 2000s.

Honestly, I really am considering purchasing the Special Edition DVDs for Bond used JUST FOR THE menus. They're pretty cheap used New, on the other hand..
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Any of you do streaming? I use Netflix for TV shows only. I don't use anything for movies except those old antiquated things called discs.

That and On Demand from cable.

I watch films occasionally on Netflix, HBO Nordic or Paramount +. New content that interests me is relatively rare.