Will MGM renew their deal with FOX? (Speculation of Bond 25 Home Release)

neonmartinineonmartini Classified
edited July 2018 in No Time To Die Posts: 70
First off I know that Universal Home Entertainment is going to release Bond 25 on DVD overseas when the theatrical run is complete. But what about the US, will this be another DAD situation?

With the whole Disney acquisition looming and MGM's sour relationship with Disney (Lawsuits flying back and forth, Kirk Kerkorian being pissed off about Disney using MGM's name for their park, MGM wanting nothing to do with the theme park for example). I am predicting that MGM won't renew their deal with FOX because I think Disney is going to consolidate Fox and all of their brands under one roof to save money (ala Sony Pictures Home Entertainment) and they are wary about Disney and how they operate... They overcharge too much for their DVD's, Blu Ray's and their home media. For example, I bought copies of The Incredibles and the Toy Story trilogy. Those movies are well over 10 years old and they priced it as if they just released the DVD to stores. I really don't want to pay well over 25 dollars for my copy of Bond 25 when it releases on DVD and Blu Ray. I am thinking that MGM is working on a deal with Universal and/or Comcast to be their home distributor after their deal with Fox ends in 2020. With that being said, I think it would be better if they went back to Sony or Warner. Every Day, A movie that was released by Orion/MGM was put out on DVD and Blu Ray by Warner without no prior indication.

Thoughts?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    The Bond 25 DVD? Who cares.
    I'm curious as to where the home video business will be by the time B25 comes out. Stores keep shrinking their physical media sections and there seems to be less interest in creating anything special. Streaming is fine if you just want to watch the film, but I like to know as much as I can about a series I value so much.

The past 3 Craig films have included little more than video blogs that were previously seen on webcasts. This is yet another area where the MI series kicks the crap out of Bond these days.
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to where the home video business will be by the time B25 comes out. Stores keep shrinking their physical media sections and there seems to be less interest in creating anything special. Streaming is fine if you just want to watch the film, but I like to know as much as I can about a series I value so much.

The past 3 Craig films have included little more than video blogs that were previously seen on webcasts. This is yet another area where the MI series kicks the crap out of Bond these days.

I see where you are going with this, I like collecting the 2 Disc DVD editions of movies with expanded special features. Those are basically non-existent now unless it's a Blu Ray or 4K release. I like to see how the movie was made, the documentary about the concepts etc.

I like to hold a physical copy of the movie that I OWN... Digital is kind of boring because they are all just files.

Streaming is the norm now, with that being said I would like to see the Bond movies on Disney's streaming service if Fox, MGM, and Disney all work out a deal.

Should this be moved to another section?, I really don't want to interrupt the flow of the BOND 25 section
    RC7 wrote: »

Home release, and should this be moved to another section? I really don't want to ruffle any feathers to anyone here.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Home release, and should this be moved to another section? I really don't want to ruffle any feathers to anyone here.
    I think what @RC7 was getting at is that the home release is too far into the future to be relevant right now - and especially since we have the more exciting pre-production news to discuss. I'm the same - I don't take interest in anything that far ahead in time. Having said all that, I don't see the harm in speculating this thread's topic.
  • RC7RC7

By all means, fill your boots.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 70
    QBranch wrote: »
    I think what @RC7 was getting at is that the home release is too far into the future to be relevant right now - and especially since we have the more exciting pre-production news to discuss. I'm the same - I don't take interest in anything that far ahead in time. Having said all that, I don't see the harm in speculating this thread's topic.

Could a mod lock this thread then?, I'll probably make another thread about this when either Bond 25 comes out or when MGM addresses Fox's deal with Disney. Whatever happens first...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Could a mod lock this thread then?
    That's not necessary - others will find this thread and contribute as we go along.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 70
    That's not necessary - others will find this thread and contribute as we go along.

I'll take your word for it
  • RC7RC7

I'll take your word for it

You needn’t close the thread, I just couldn’t imagine why anyone would be that bothered right now. I’m sure some are, though.
    To my points above, I think it's worth discussing. Especially in light of the pre-production news being sparse.

People are so eager for it they'll take a scrap of what comes out of some Redditor's ramblings and run with it or speculate on the flavor of the month singer, which doesn't do a lot for me as it usually meanders into something else. So what's really different between the threads?