in Fan Creations Posts: 1
"For King and Country" A James Bond 007 Fan Film, 30 years in the making

Trailer
https://vimeo.com/kevincarney/bondtrailer
(2 minutes)

Feature Film
https://vimeo.com/kevincarney/kingandcountry
(47 minutes)

We started in 1988, when I was 14 years old. My brother and I convinced several of our friends that, after shooting a few short films, we were ready to make a feature length film. We were big fans of James Bond movies, so we decided to make our own. We came up with an idea for a new Bond story. Armed with our parent's Olympus 8mm video camera, we traveled around northern California for filming locations. We shot on location at the beach in Half Moon Bay, in the snow at Bear Valley, in the redwood forest in Woodside, and in our garage and friend's houses. After a few summers during high school, we had managed to shoot about 2 hours of footage.

At that point, I realized that the editing equipment we had used for editing our short films (2 VCR's) was not up to the task of editing this feature length film. So I put the footage on the shelf. I figured in a few years I'd somehow get access to better equipment and figure how to edit it.

Many years went by. I never totally forgot about the bond film, but life was always too busy for me to find time for it. I got married, had kids, etc. But every few years, my friend Doug would ask, "so when are you gonna finish that old bond movie?"

About 25 years later, I started a new job at Apple. I needed a video project to use as a test to get up to speed on Final Cut Pro video editing software. So I figured the time had finally come to dust off the old James Bond movie. I digitized the footage for one scene, and cut it together with Final Cut Pro. When it was done, I showed the scene to a few people. I even tracked down the actors whom I hadn't seen since high school and showed it to them. The reactions I got were really positive. So I kept editing more scenes. People really enjoyed it, and kept asking for more. So for about 2 years I kept editing more scenes, adding sound and visual effects, mostly while commuting on the Apple bus to work.

Eventually the film was done. I decided to have a screening of the film. I rented a theater in my home town and invited lots of old friends. Several members of the original cast showed up for the premiere. It was great fun to watch the movie with a big crowd and hear lots of laughter, and gasps for the crazy stunts. So here it is, 30 years in the making. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it.

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This could have been a Brosnan era entry.
    Thanks for sharing this. I love the trailer, looks like a lot of fun :)
    Can't wait to watch the full movie.
  • This looks brilliant! Will definitely give this a watch later. Thanks for posting.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Congratulations, looks great
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Wow! An outstanding job! The opening credits were great; I wonder how you did those. And the Q character gave me Matt Damon vibes. :) Well done, sir. I can only imagine this entire effort must indeed have been a very time consuming one.