Eurospy films

Comments

I never got around to see that film, despite wanting to. Couldn't find a plausible copy anywhere.

Same here! Doesn't seem to be highly rated over at IMDb, but I still want to watch it at some point.

Is the music in the video above from the score?
    Should be, yes.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,241
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Should be, yes.

Found the soundtrack on Spotify! Will have a listen. :-)
    Does anyone know anything about the film The Venetian Affair (1966)? I guess it qualifies as a eurospy film, and stars Robert Vaughn, Elke Sommer and Boris Karloff. Been looking for it for quite some time!

There's also a few other films I'm looking for, so any information about these would be great:
    - Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die (1966)
    - Any of the OSS 117 films of the 60's
    - Danger Route (1967)
    - O.K. Connery (1967)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I've seen The Venetian Affair. Love the soundtrack more than the film. You could say it's Robert Vaughn's November Man. And no, it's not a EuroSpy film since it's an American production.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Venetian Affair - is available on DVD through the Warner Archive Collection. Recommended if you like your spy movies sombre rather than extravagant.

Danger Route - another sombre spy thriller, moreso than The Venetian Affair. Mixed with Deadlier Than The Male, Danger Route shows what Bond could have been like, if Terrance Young had cast his original choice of Richard Johnson. As a British film, I don't think it counts as a EuroSpy film, at least not in the usual sense. But don't let that put you off. Unfortunately, it isn't officially available on any format, but there are a number of sites selling it on a DV-R disc.
    I've seen The Venetian Affair. Love the soundtrack more than the film. You could say it's Robert Vaughn's November Man. And no, it's not a EuroSpy film since it's an American production.

Was under the impression it was an European production for some reason! It was probably mentioned in an eurospy related discussion or blog post or something, which led me to believe it was European.
    The Venetian Affair - is available on DVD through the Warner Archive Collection. Recommended if you like your spy movies sombre rather than extravagant.

Danger Route - another sombre spy thriller, moreso than The Venetian Affair. Mixed with Deadlier Than The Male, Danger Route shows what Bond could have been like, if Terrance Young had cast his original choice of Richard Johnson. As a British film, I don't think it counts as a EuroSpy film, at least not in the usual sense. But don't let that put you off. Unfortunately, it isn't officially available on any format, but there are a number of sites selling it on a DV-R disc.

Are the Warner Archive Collection films available in Region 2 format, @MajorDSmythe? The only version of the The Venetian Affair I've seen online is a Region 1 import DVD.

And are there any sites you recommend for buying Danger Route on DV-R disc?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Unfortunately, the Warner Archive Collection is only available in R1, and they don't ship outside the US. I wanted a copy, and i'm in the UK, but I found an almost new copy on ebay.

As for Danger Route, I bought my copy from Stojo:
    http://www.stojo.com/DangerRoute.html
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Eurospy or of interest, available streaming or for purchase on Amazon (free on Amazon Prime indicated).

Danger Route (1967) $2.99 rental, SD purchase 11.99, Richard Johnson, Barbara Bouchet
    Operation Kid Brother (O.K. Connery) (1967) $4.99 rental, SD purchase 11.99, Neil Connery, Daniel Bianchi, Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell, Adolfo Celi, Anthony Dawson,
    OSS 117 - Panic in Bangkok (1966) Prime, rental $ .99, SD purchase 2.99

13 Days to Die (1965) Prime
    Adventure in Morocco (1967) Prime
    Agent 505 - Death Trap Beirut (1966) Prime
    Cape Town Affair (1967) $2.99 rental, James Brolin
    Danger!! Death Ray (1967) Prime
    Kommissar X Kill Panther Kill (1968) Prime, Tony Kendall, Brad Harris
    Lightning Bolt (1966) Prime
    Man on the Spying Trapeze (1966) Prime
    Master Stroke (1967) Prime, Richard Harrison, Adolfo Celi
    Operation Gold (1966) Prime, Daniela Bianchi
    Poppies Are Also Flowers (1969) Prime, Terence Young directing
    Secret Agent Fireball (1965 ) Prime, Richard Harrison
    Secret Agent FX 18 (1964) Prime, Ken Clark
    Secret Agent Super Dragon (1966) Prime
    Seven Golden Men Strike Again (1966) Prime
    Spy in Your Eye (1965) Prime
    Superargo (1968) Prime
    Superargo and the Faceless Giants (1968) Prime
    Unfortunately, the Warner Archive Collection is only available in R1, and they don't ship outside the US. I wanted a copy, and i'm in the UK, but I found an almost new copy on ebay.

As for Danger Route, I bought my copy from Stojo:
    http://www.stojo.com/DangerRoute.html

Thanks for the link, will have a look!
    Found this DVD of The Venetian Affair, but don't know if it's the same quality as the WarnerArchive Collection one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Venetian-Affair-English-without-subtitles/dp/B007M82AX8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530978344&sr=8-3&keywords=the+venetian+affair
    Eurospy or of interest, available streaming or for purchase on Amazon (free on Amazon Prime indicated).

Danger Route (1967) $2.99 rental, SD purchase 11.99, Richard Johnson, Barbara Bouchet
    Operation Kid Brother (O.K. Connery) (1967) $4.99 rental, SD purchase 11.99, Neil Connery, Daniel Bianchi, Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell, Adolfo Celi, Anthony Dawson,
    OSS 117 - Panic in Bangkok (1966) Prime, rental $ .99, SD purchase 2.99

13 Days to Die (1965) Prime
    Adventure in Morocco (1967) Prime
    Agent 505 - Death Trap Beirut (1966) Prime
    Cape Town Affair (1967) $2.99 rental, James Brolin
    Danger!! Death Ray (1967) Prime
    Kommissar X Kill Panther Kill (1968) Prime, Tony Kendall, Brad Harris
    Lightning Bolt (1966) Prime
    Man on the Spying Trapeze (1966) Prime
    Master Stroke (1967) Prime, Richard Harrison, Adolfo Celi
    Operation Gold (1966) Prime, Daniela Bianchi
    Poppies Are Also Flowers (1969) Prime, Terence Young directing
    Secret Agent Fireball (1965 ) Prime, Richard Harrison
    Secret Agent FX 18 (1964) Prime, Ken Clark
    Secret Agent Super Dragon (1966) Prime
    Seven Golden Men Strike Again (1966) Prime
    Spy in Your Eye (1965) Prime
    Superargo (1968) Prime
    Superargo and the Faceless Giants (1968) Prime

Great list, @RichardTheBruce! Shame we don't have the opportunity to access these through streaming/Prime where I live…
    Yeah, @Torgeirtrap, I hope someone on this side can find it useful.

Still, it does show some availability so your search shouldn't be in vain.
    Yeah, @Torgeirtrap, I hope someone on this side can find it useful.

Still, it does show some availability so your search shouldn't be in vain.

Indeed. Hopefully some of those titles are available on Region 2 DVD's too!

Just had to post this one here. Got to love bloopers, especially from a spy comedy!
    I have another US streaming option but maybe it leads to something of interest.
    Still either streaming or Region 1, though.

roku2.png
    For those using Roku streaming, see the free Dorado channel for some Eurospy movies of interest. Eurocrime, war, westerns, too. Has not been updated in some time, though.

Agent 077 - Mission Bloody Mary (1964) Ken Clark
    Agent 077 - From the Orient with Fury (1965) Ken Clark
    Agent 077 - Special Mission Lady Chaplin (1966) Ken Clark
    Argoman the Fantastic Superman (1967)
    Electra One (1967) George Martin
    The Fuller Report (1968) Ken Clark
    Our Man in Jamaica (1965) Larry Pennell
    The Tiffany Memorandum (1967) Ken Clark
    Two Crazy Agents (Goldginger) (1965)

Which leads me to the Dorado Films website.doradofilms.com/ I haven't tried their podcasts.

67853.jpg

Dorado does limited edition DVD and Bluray productions of sometimes 250 total, then they move on to other films. I can't say Eurospy is their current focus, but they have some Region 1 films worth noting.

These two are available right now, the website shows others now out of stock (like Mission Bloody Mary, or the 4-film collection they did).

$19.95 Agent 077 - From the Orient with Fury (1965) Ken Clark
    $10.00 Argoman the Fantastic Superman (1967)
    cover.png
    DVD:From the Orient with Fury 19.95 USD
    REGION: 1
    ASPECT: 16:9
    RATING: Unrated
    AUDIO: English (2.0)
    VIDEO: NTSC
    LENGTH: 95
    FEATURES
    • Animated Menus
    • Scene Selections
    • Remastered original audio
    • Filmography of Margaret Lee
    • Biography of Ken Clark
    • Filmography of Ken Clark
    • Trailer: From the Orient with Fury
    • Trailer: Mission Bloody Mary
    • Trailer: Special Mission Lady Chaplin
    • Trailer: Tiffany Memorandum
    Dorado Films also have a few eurospy films available on their Youtube channel - including two with Ken Clark.
    I finally watched Secret Agent Super Dragon (1966) last night. It's nothing truly special, but I did enjoy it. Somewhat a lukewarm Bond knockoff, but a worthy one, if I'm honest. Ray Danton was just terribly cool as a hero, as he often played villains more than he tackled good guy roles.
    I finally watched Secret Agent Super Dragon (1966) last night. It's nothing truly special, but I did enjoy it. Somewhat a lukewarm Bond knockoff, but a worthy one, if I'm honest. Ray Danton was just terribly cool as a hero, as he often played villains more than he tackled good guy roles.

Where did you find it?
    EuroSpy films are a favorite so I thought that I would login with my own list. Several that I enjoy have been mentioned already so I won’t list them but there are others that I’ve enjoyed that perhaps someone else would also:
    (there is no preference to this list)
    Code Name: Jaguar (it’s a Ray Danton film)
    Daniella by Night (Elke Sommer – difficult to find due to a hint of frontal nudity in one scene)
    Spies Against the World (a clever collection of stories with a common thread)
    077: Mission Lisbon
    Requiem for a Secret Agent
    Operation Poker (mentioned earlier I think)
    Password Gordon (mentioned earlier)
    La Chatelaine Du Liban (only in French as far as I know but with a few scenes of a young Luciana Paluzzi, if you’re a fan)
    24 Hours to kill (not sure if it qualifies as EuroSpy)
    Coplan FX-18 (all of the Coplan series are dark but fit the genre)
    Upper Seven the man to kill (with Karin Dor if you're a fan)
    That Man in Istanbul (may have already been mentioned)
    Slalom (another Daniela Bianchi and Adolfo Celi) light comedy
    The Viscount (not really a Eurospy but the original story line is by Jean Bruce author of the OSS 117 series which are also good, including the spoofs which were done later)
    Bang! Bang! You’re Dead (another light comedy)
    I think that a few were mentioned earlier, and this isn't a complete list of favorites, but someone might enjoy these.

• edited July 2018 Posts: 613
    DANGER ROUTE is on YouTube:

If you'd like to do a Richard Johnson double feature, you can also view A TWIST OF SAND, co-starring Honor Blackman and based on a novel by Geoffrey (Per Fine Ounce) Jenkins:

edited July 2018 Posts: 13,882
    A Twist Of Sand isn't a Spy film, but an adventure film. Still a good film though, has a tense build up to a showdown between the Richard Johnson and Peter Vaughn characters. Like Danger Route, A Twist Of Sand is also available on Stojo.

@Legionnaire Good call on Daniella By Night. I wouldn't have thought of that one. I can confirm that it is available on DVD in a Vixen boxset, along with 3 other films, one of those being Sweet Ecstasy (which happens to star one Elke Sommer).
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I watched A Twist Of Sand recently, mostly for Honor Blackman, and enjoyed it very much. Also nice to see a brief turn from Kenneth Cope a.k.a. Marty from Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased).
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    DANGER ROUTE is on YouTube:

If you'd like to do a Richard Johnson double feature, you can also view A TWIST OF SAND, co-starring Honor Blackman and based on a novel by Geoffrey (Per Fine Ounce) Jenkins:

Shame about the video quality of that Youtube video of Danger Route. Should probably not let that stop me from enjoying it, though!
    Danger Girls (Sette Assassine dale Labbra di Velluto)
    Mozambique (with Paul Hubschmid, and Vivi Bach from UpperSeven, and Martin Benson from Goldfinger)
    Scorpions and Miniskirts (title says it all)
    Target for Killing (with Karin Dor, Adolfo Celi, Molly Peters, and Curd Jurgens)
    Missile X (with Curd Jurgens and Peter Graves)
    Spy Today, Die Tomorrow
    Assignment Skybolt
    Code 7, Victim 5
    Red Dragon
    HammerHead
    Assassination in Rome
    Espionage in Tangiers
    Top Secret
    When Eight Bells Toll (not sure this is considered EuroSpy, but good early Anthony Hopkins as a Bond type)
    Dimension 5
    @MajorDSmythe … glad to see “Daniella By Night” on Amazon. Apparently in 1962 it was banned from the U.S. but there’s hardly enough exposure in it to warrant banning it in today’s film world.

• edited July 2018 Posts: 613
    Also three by French New Wave auteur Claude Chabrol:

CODE NAME: TIGER (Le Tigre aime la chair fraiche) - co-starring Daniela Bianchi
    OUR AGENT TIGER (Le tigre se parfume à la dynamite)
    THE BLUE PANTHER (Marie-Chantal contre le docteur Kha)

The first two are so bizarre, and so droll, they almost qualify as parodies. THE BLUE PANTHER is really a comedy, but worth a look anyway for spy movie fans.
    When I'll be back from my vacation, I'll tell you about other french spy series, like Le Gorille and Le Monocle.
    Gerard wrote: »
    When I'll be back from my vacation, I'll tell you about other french spy series, like Le Gorille and Le Monocle.

Great! Looking forward to it. :-)

Just finished watching Secret Agent Super Dragon (thanks again for helping me get hold of the film, @ClarkDevlin!) Have to agree on your points here; nothing special, but enjoyable.

Does anyone now if Marisa Mell was ever considered for a Bond girl role at some point? She sure looked like one in this film!
    You're welcome, @Torgeirtrap!!

You should see Marissa Mell in Danger Diabolik! opposite John Phillip Law and Adolfo Celi as well.
    You're welcome, @Torgeirtrap!!

You should see Marissa Mell in Danger Diabolik! opposite John Phillip Law and Adolfo Celi as well.

That's another film I haven't seen yet! At least Danger Diabolik! is a bit easier to find than Secret Agent Super Dragon. :)
  • @Escalus5 Your post on Roger Hanin and the series le Tigre was a reminder about that series. I had forgotten about those films in the Eurospy collection. Fans often seem to take even the Bond series (obviously the most successful series in the entire genre) as something that is far more serious than simply entertainment. Bond is of course little more than a parody itself. Which for me, is one reason why the last in the series, Specter is so great and entertaining a film. The idea of Bloefeld as Bond’s vengeful step-brother, or the yellow filtered images throughout the story, and of course Dr. Swann (the daughter of The Pale King) portrayed as Bonds femme fatal lover, really excellent and fantastic stuff, well not for some viewers, but then I’ve never taken Bond as seriously as other fans do. Both the Bond films and the Eurospy series do a great job of playing off of each other and it is hard to imagine that the writers and producers of the Bond films don’t spend as much time watching and mirroring ideas from scenes in the Europspy group as the writers and directors of the Eurospy films played off of the Bond films. As far as I know le Tigre is only available in French, but perhaps there is a collection with sub-titles someplace for the non-French speaking crowd. Oui, tres drole, and of course anything with Daniela Bianchi in it always tops the list.
    As far as I know le Tigre is only available in French, but perhaps there is a collection with sub-titles someplace for the non-French speaking crowd.

There is an English-dubbed print of CODE NAME TIGER available on DVD through the company Something Weird:

https://www.somethingweird.com/product_info.php?products_id=29304