"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    What...a...game!

Arguably the greatest football performance of my country in my lifetime. Eliminating Brazil on the way to the semi’s, at least matching our best ever result from 1986. Back then, we ended up fourth. Hope we can go all the way this time, or at least better the 86 result.

Believe you me, this is a once in a lifetime experience for a country of only 11 million inhabitants.

Very proud!

I am too, @GoldenGun, and I'm not very much into football usually. :)
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Come on England x WiiNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Come on England.
    Score predictions?
    I'm going with 2-0 England.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    3 - 1 ENGLAND win
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Sterling needs to let the ball go earlier
    Damn. Didn't expect anything else, but still a shame to see Sweden lose.
    Going to drown my Sweden sorrows with some beers and Rosenborg-Tromsø on the telly. Hope Rosenborg doesn't disappoint like Sweden did…

Did you think that Sweden did as well as they could have?
    vzok wrote: »

Did you think that Sweden did as well as they could have?

No, I don't think so. They weren't too bad defensively today, goals aside. That Alli goal was totally unnecessary to let in, though. Lustig was suspended due to yellow cards, and that probably had some effect on the defence - and probably going forward too.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,308
    Rosenborg just been robbed of a clear penalty. Where is VAR? Oh, that's true. We don't have it over here. Pathetic refereeing.

Edit: 2-1 for Rosenborg in the end. Decent enough performance in parts of the game, but an unnecessary goal to let in close to the end of the match. Lot's of injuries now, and Bendtner the latest. Hopefully nothing serious.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited July 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Going to drown my Sweden sorrows with some beers and Rosenborg-Tromsø on the telly. Hope Rosenborg doesn't disappoint like Sweden did…

I am rooting for England but was sorry that they advanced at Sweden’s expense. Regardless, the Swedes have much to be proud of.
    TripAces wrote: »

I am rooting for England but did not want to see them advance at Sweden’s expense. Regardless, the Swedes have much to be proud of.

They really do. Janne Andersson have built a team after Zlatan left, with Andreas Granqvist (who became a father again yesterday!) a brilliant captain. The same goes for Iceland and Denmark; strong collective efforts have taken them all to the World Cup.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Possibly inappropriate, hence the spoiler tag.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TripAces wrote: »

I am rooting for England but did not want to see them advance at Sweden’s expense. Regardless, the Swedes have much to be proud of.

They really do. Janne Andersson have built a team after Zlatan left, with Andreas Granqvist (who became a father again yesterday!) a brilliant captain. The same goes for Iceland and Denmark; strong collective efforts have taken them all to the World Cup.

I think Sweden have given it their all and they can be very proud of their campaign. Clearly, they have a strong collective again which proves the Zlatan era was in fact a very mediocre period for the national team maybe because of a lack thereof.

For the first time since 2006, they survived a group stage and this time they did so eliminating the likes of Netherlands, Italy and Germany along the way. That’s quite an achievement. Well done, Sweden.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 1,296
    Kick those balls around boys! Football is one of my favourite sports. Yes please let's see who end s up on top, I can't wait, it's a nailbiter and a cliffhanger and I feel like I'm 10 again. So Completely distracted which I don't begrudge of anyone in this day and age.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    This is my favourite World Cup since 1998 and the most exciting since my all time favourite World Cup of 1982.

Belgium vs Japan second half was astonishing, Croatia vs Russia extra time was breathless, France vs Argetina was a classic, defending champs Germany unthinkably going out in the group stage but not before a last second stunner to win against Sweden, England finally winning a knock out game on penalties. Belgium taking out Brazil. Cavini's goal for Uruguay to defeat Portugal. Ronaldo's hatrick single handedly keeping Portugal alive against rivals Spain. The amount and quality of goals has been a great advertisement for football. I've loved every moment.
  • GBFGBF
    Indeed. Until now there has only been one 0:0.
    I can't speak for other schools but at my son's, for any exam questions (on any topic) where the student has no clue, the default answer is now "It's coming home."

I hope the exam papers are kept as cultural gems.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Lovren should've been booked.
    It is getting tasty now!!!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Bloody brilliant first half from England.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Over and out. Croatia's experience got the upper hand. This time.
    It's coming... It's co... it's... winter is coming... winter is coming...
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote: »

Too much effort. You need to appear more blasé.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 7,500
    RC7 wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »

Too much effort. You need to appear more blasé.

Yes, I know being rude and provocative is your speciality. I have no realistic ambition of reaching your hights...
    It is refreshing however to see the English standing by their national team in defeat. Cant remember having witnessed that before...
    The Croats did put up a really good fight and kudos for them winning the match, I certainly did not expect them after such extensive games they had before this meeting with the English team. They performed brilliantly after the first half where the English should have finished the job for the evening. Their failure proved their doom.

That said this was the first real test of the British team on this tournament and they sadly were not up for the job. I say sadly because having seen the translation of the Croatian newspapers they have a far more ugly side to their nationalism and how they show that. The English nationalism these last weeks was more arrogant and annoying, the Croatian is far more ungentlemanly and ugly.

So I guess I will be cheering on our Southern neighbour on Saturday and expect the French to take care of the Croats on Sunday.

Overall the tournament so far has been surprising and some teams were totally overrated in their reputation like Argentina who barely qualified and Germany who seem to have a problem with their current team in performance.. But they will be back next time.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Croats did put up a really good fight and kudos for them winning the match, I certainly did not expect them after such extensive games they had before this meeting with the English team. They performed brilliantly after the first half where the English should have finished the job for the evening. Their failure proved their doom.

That said this was the first real test of the British team on this tournament and they sadly were not up for the job. I say sadly because having seen the translation of the Croatian newspapers they have a far more ugly side to their nationalism and how they show that. The English nationalism these last weeks was more arrogant and annoying, the Croatian is far more ungentlemanly and ugly.

So I guess I will be cheering on our Southern neighbour on Saturday and expect the French to take care of the Croats on Sunday.

Overall the tournament so far has been surprising and some teams were totally overrated in their reputation like Argentina who barely qualified and Germany who seem to have a problem with their current team in performance.. But they will be back next time.

What have the Croatian newspapers written?

Enjoy yourself probably not. I am not an England fan but even less of a fan of the Croatian media.

SaintMark wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/12/england-unbelievably-inferior-croatia-press-world-cup-semi-final

Enjoy yourself probably not. I am not an England fan but even less of a fan of the Croatian media.

That was a bit OTT from the Croatian media, but I guess that would have been the same with some of the English media too, had England won. All the talk I read and heard (podcasts etc.) before the England-Croatia match was much about how "tired the Croatians should be before going into this match", and that "England should tire them out". As the match progressed, the opposite seemed to be the case.

Wonder what team England will start on Saturday?