"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

Yeah fair play to Belgium. Usually see them as underachievers but not here.

Also, I am so not a fan of Fellaini but man he’s doing a job here.

Not a Fellaini fan either, but you see why he's on the pitch.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Certainly do. Superb job
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I am probably one of the few United fans that rate Fellaini
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 17,338

He's a brilliant impact player. He was the difference between United and Arsenal late last season, for example.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2018 Posts: 10,512

He’s a more expensive John O’Shea, which is why he annoys me. He does a job, however.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    RC7 wrote: »

He’s a more expensive John O’Shea, which is why he annoys me. He does a job, however.

John O’Shea's late winner at Anfield all those years ago was one of his highlights.

He's a brilliant impact player. He was the difference between United and Arsenal late last season, for example.

Fellaini is a good plan B and has done well on occasion, he is not the most technical of players so an easy target for criticism.
    Damn, Brazil scores…
    edited July 2018 Posts: 23,530
    Game on... I may not need to transfer a chunk of my Fantasy Team if Brazil stage a come back.

Fellaini is a good plan B and has done well on occasion, he is not the most technical of players so an easy target for criticism.

Never thought I'd find myself defending him, but some of that criticism has indeed been too much. There were other players in the PL who did much less last season.
  • RC7RC7

John O’Shea's late winner at Anfield all those years ago was one of his highlights.

I love O’Shea.

I remember that goal distinctly. I was in a pub off Oxford Street (a United Pub) and a scouser walked in at 80 mins. One ‘fuck off’ and he was gone. Cue Big John.
    Squeaky bum time now for Belgium
    Poor miss.

I love O’Shea.

I remember that goal distinctly. I was in a pub off Oxford Street (a United Pub) and a scouser walked in at 80 mins. One ‘fuck off’ and he was gone. Cue Big John.

I was in a Bar with a mate and his late father during that game, they were both Liverpool supporters so I had to rub it in lol

Never thought I'd find myself defending him, but some of that criticism has indeed been too much. There were other players in the PL who did much less last season.

True I think some United fans used players like Fellaini as an excuse for being so far behind City despite Fellaini being injured for long periods.

Looks like Belgium have done enough
    Roll back home, Neymar! Brilliant!
    Congratulations to Belgium
  • RC7RC7
    European football dominating this time around it seems.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well played. I'm rather proud of my team.
    Winning the game against the UK wasn't such a mistake then after all. ;)

True I think some United fans used players like Fellaini as an excuse for being so far behind City despite Fellaini being injured for long periods.

Hope that's a minority of the fans! City had an incredible season, and United couldn't do anything about it.
    Every credit to Belgium. A superb performance.
  • RC7RC7
    DarthDimi wrote: »

UK? Have a word, Dimi.

Hope that's a minority of the fans! City had an incredible season, and United couldn't do anything about it.

The United fans mainly ones who only knew success under Fergie see the past with rose tinted glasses, many on the fan boards want Jose out.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

UK? Have a word, Dimi.

What did I do wrong? :)

The United fans mainly ones who only knew success under Fergie see the past with rose tinted glasses, many on the fan boards want Jose out.

Not surprised by this. Getting results like Fergie did in today's football is probably impossible anyway, so Mourinho will struggle to make those fans happy.
    Too bad Cavani was not able to play against France, that would have made a far more interesting game and a real test for France.

Great game by Belgium, once again a big VAR mistake that should have been a penalty, Neymar must have seen how his antics backfired on him personally so he did show some serious restraint, second half of Brasil-Belgium showed how beautiful football can be. Sadly we will not see a game that well played again on this tournament. Somehow the Brasil team always seems to be involved with the beter games in this Tournament.

Congrats Belgium and next is France, either of them will be the next World Champion.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think you underestimate the remaining teams @SaintMark.
    Russia, Croatia, Sweden or England could all very well make the final. France and Belgium have been very impressive. But on the day sometimes a little luck or an error can be costly. I've seen a team like England who a month before the World Cup were unlikely to make it out of the group stage. Now they're playing in the quarter finals. Whilst I hear that they have not had any formidable opponents, they have got to this position by winning.
    The Germans on the other hand, the reigning champions and a tournament favourite failed to turn up at all. Being easily knocked out in the group stages. Quite humiliating I would imagine for them.

The games get naturally harder, that's why we have knockouts. I'm more than happy that Belgium knocked out Brazil. They're a team I've said from the start, could go all the way.

Only a few more games till we find out who that team is.

I do not underestimate the teams on the right side of the schedule, I've seen them, they are not that impressive and fairly lighter than the teams on the left side. That said when Russia wins the tournament I will forever not be sure about the Putin advantage. ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    What...a...game!

Arguably the greatest football performance of my country in my lifetime. Eliminating Brazil on the way to the semi’s, at least matching our best ever result from 1986. Back then, we ended up fourth. Hope we can go all the way this time, or at least better the 86 result.

Believe you me, this is a once in a lifetime experience for a country of only 11 million inhabitants.

Very proud!
    I have to say that it’s nice to see Belgium realising their potential. A cracking set of players, individually, now playing as a team and doing their best to not be underachievers. They must have a chance against France yes?
    COME ON ENGLAND