World Cup 2018 : Your comments .

edited July 2018 in General Discussion Posts: 19,339
Just for a laugh,lets see who members here,who are interested of course,gets their backing,making them the WC08 MI6 Football Governor if their team wins the whole damn thing ?

You simply vote once in the 'heart' category for the team you WANT to win,and then in the 'head' category for the team you think 'WILL' win .

Here goes with my votes :

THE HEART CONTESTANTS :

1.URUGUAY :

2.RUSSIA :

3.SPAIN :

4.PORTUGAL :

5.FRANCE :

6.DENMARK : 1

7.CROATIA : 1

8:ARGENTINA :

9.BRAZIL : 1

10.SWITZERLAND :

11.SWEDEN :

12.MEXICO :

13.ENGLAND : 3

14.BELGIUM :

15.JAPAN :

16.SENEGAL :

17.COLUMBIA :

THE HEAD CONTESTANTS :

1.URUGUAY :

2.RUSSIA :

3.SPAIN :

4.PORTUGAL :

5.FRANCE :

6.DENMARK :

7.CROATIA : 3

8:ARGENTINA :

9.BRAZIL : 1

10.SWITZERLAND :

11.SWEDEN :

12.MEXICO :

13.ENGLAND : 2

14.BELGIUM : 1

15.JAPAN :

16.SENEGAL :

17.COLUMBIA:

Any comments or chat is welcome of course.

Comments

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Brazil.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    HEART

ENGLAND

HEAD

Tough as form can change easily and I think this WC is wide open now, ENGLAND is my choice.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    My heart could have been with Poland, but i'm not giving it away to such loosers.

Next in line would have been Germany.
    Tough luck.

I am rooting for the underdog now, so i'll go with Croatia.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Heart

England

Head

Belgium / England

It's impossible to write off Brazil still. Croatia wouldn't be a bad bet either.
    If England can show some spirit, then they could go all the way!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Great idea for a thread! Looking at the performances so far, I'm not at all sure who will win the thing, as no team has been really impressive.

Heart:
    My heart's with our Scandinavian neighbours, of course - Sweden and Denmark. Love how karma struck the German's after their staff's ridiculous mocking of the Swedes in their late winner, with Sweden in the end finishing top of their group, and Germany last. Andreas Granqvist is the perfect captain for this team, as seen so far in the World Cup. He's called the complete opposite of Zlatan, and is probably better suited for the captaincy for that reason alone. This team is more dependent on the team itself more than individuals.

Denmark of course have a Norwegian manager in Åge Hareide - formerly Norway and Rosenborg manager (to name a few). He looks to have brought something to that team; a more relaxed atmosphere, which has brought them to the World Cup, and now through the group stages.

If I have to choose, then probably Denmark, as there's a Norwegian connection with Hareide. If not, then both - as I just love how both Sweden and Denmark have played so far.

Head:
    Difficult one. With Germany out things are very open. Can Portugal do what they did in the Euros? Can Brazil deliver better performances, with Neymar rolling himself through to the final, lifting the trophy? France has THAT squad. Nothing surprises me, really.
    Benny wrote: »
    Croatia wouldn't be a bad bet either.

Can't argue with this. Croatia have Denmark up next, which I'm sure they'll win (although I really don't hope so). After that they will probably face Spain; a team with a defence that hasn't been good so far. I think I might go with Croatia! Unlikely winner, but not impossible!
    Both tables now updated x interesting responses !
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Heart (there are a few)
    Spain - because I love their style of play and I'd like to see Iniesta hold the cup again
    England - because it's time, and after all the past disappointments I feel it's near
    Brazil - to atone for the bitter humiliation of 4 years ago
    Argentina or Portugal (just so Messiah or CR7 can bask in the glory of lifting it)

Head
    Probably someone else. With Germany out anything is possible I feel.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Heart
    Spain - because I love their style of play and I'd like to see Iniesta hold the cup again
    England - because it's time, and after all the past disappointments I feel it's near
    Argentina or Portugal (just so Messiah or CR7 can bask in the glory of lifting it)

Head
    Probably someone else.

That's all the favourites right there, isn't it?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Heart

Head
    Probably someone else.

Pretty much my normal faves, yes, and I think they all have a decent shot at it to be honest.

This year I've really liked Mexico's style of play (sometimes) and Belgium too.

I have a feeling that we have a reasonable chance of a shocker this year. I'm not saying it will happen, but you never know.
    Its a weird tournament in a good way,its a winner takes all,especially now...i cant see a favourite.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Heart

Head
    Probably someone else.

Pretty much my normal faves, yes, and I think they all have a decent shot at it to be honest.

This year I've really liked Mexico's style of play (sometimes) and Belgium too.

I have a feeling that we have a reasonable chance of a shocker this year. I'm not saying it will happen, but you never know.

Mexico have been good, yes (at least what I've seen of them so far), as has Belgium. Would be interesting if one of them reach the final, that's for sure!

As a neutral, I kind of hope for a shocker. You never know; now that we have VAR too, there's probably a better chance for penalties being given, dives to be yellow carded, etc.
    England have a good good chance but i will never get too excited.
    Come on France,not my favourites but the Argies need to go |!!!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Off the crossbar for France...lucky Argies !!!!!

My God can Mbeppe run,amazing !!!...penalty for France..defo.

1-0 France !!!!!!!!!
    Where the hell did that come from - Di Maria has been shit !!!!!!!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Pavard gives France hope, with a stunner from outside the box.
    A heck of strike Benster eh ? The spin on the ball...this game is becoming yet another 2018 WC blockbuster!!
    Mbappe has been fantastic x 3-2 Francais !!!! Yes !!
    Viva la France
    The Argies are going out x stick that in your junky pipe Maradona you fat shithead !!!
    What a match !!!!! This WC us the best ever that ihave seen since 1990 for me
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Cracking game France have announced themselves
    They have indeed x match of the tournament for me so far !
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,102
    I think Rashford needs to look at what Mbappe is doing, Rashford is not as good though nearest England has to a similar type player.
    Rashford needs to up his game x he did nothing against Belgium, almost last ..the same with Dier x they should have brought on Danny earlier
    15 left and Uruguay looking good...Argentina gone in the list above.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    15 left and Uruguay looking good...Argentina gone in the list above.

Like the look of Uruguay so far. Hope they continue like that!
    Rashford needs to up his game x he did nothing against Belgium, almost last ..the same with Dier x they should have brought on Danny earlier

Its difficult to judge players in the last game against Belgium though on the face of it England B looked average. England's midfield concerns me not much depth there.

Its difficult to judge players in the last game against Belgium though on the face of it England B looked average. England's midfield concerns me not much depth there.

Its not solid throughout ,which suits playing against a free-play team like Columbia but,as you and i mentioned last night,not against Sweden for example.
    My God the goals in this tournament are amazing.....2-1 Uruguay !!!!