"Just One More Thing..." - The COLUMBO Discussion Thread

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That reminds me that Cannon was another great show.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,102
    I have the cigar box DVD set, as well! Have yet to go through the 80's and onwards episodes, but planning on doing so during the summer.

Regarding the cigar box: I have seen two different versions of it - the first image shows a cigar box DVD set identical to the one I have - the second one is a different box. Is there any differences in the content?
    s-l300.jpg
    71krdRJ%2B0VL._SL1333_.jpg

They appear to have the same content the second Boxset just looks more compact packaging, I have the first one also.

Good. When I saw that second one only days after ordering my boxset, I was a bit afraid that the second one might have more content. I couldn't find any more information about any differences, so at the mention of the cigar box set here, I had to ask. Thanks!

The DVD cases inside the boxes are identical just a different box, I have started watching from the start again one of the best series ever.

Wonder why they felt the need to make two different boxes? Looking at them both, I probably prefer the look of the one I didn't get, haha!

Watched the 70's episodes not long ago, and I'm planning on rewatching them again soon. Need to get through the 80's-00's stuff first (which I have never seen before).

Products often get repackaged unnecessarily when reissued to sell as many units as possible the public are likely to spend money when its something new looking.
  • That reminds me that Cannon was another great show.

Falk also hugged Mike Connors of Mannix on his way up to the stage.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have the cigar box DVD set, as well! Have yet to go through the 80's and onwards episodes, but planning on doing so during the summer.

Regarding the cigar box: I have seen two different versions of it - the first image shows a cigar box DVD set identical to the one I have - the second one is a different box. Is there any differences in the content?
    s-l300.jpg

They appear to have the same content the second Boxset just looks more compact packaging, I have the first one also.

Good. When I saw that second one only days after ordering my boxset, I was a bit afraid that the second one might have more content. I couldn't find any more information about any differences, so at the mention of the cigar box set here, I had to ask. Thanks!

The DVD cases inside the boxes are identical just a different box, I have started watching from the start again one of the best series ever.
    Agreed. It was the 90's episodes that got me into it for the first time, and then I discovered all the wonderful 70's entries (when they finally released them all on dvd) which are even better. Great characterizations, actors, music etc. etc.

It's been a few years since I've watched them all.

A mates step Dad lent me several recordings of the early movies when I was around eleven years old so got into the show quite early, Blueprint for Murder I recall was the first movie I watched, still one of my favorites.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883

s-l300.jpg

Agreed. It was the 90's episodes that got me into it for the first time, and then I discovered all the wonderful 70's entries (when they finally released them all on dvd) which are even better. Great characterizations, actors, music etc. etc.

A mates step Dad lent me several recordings of the early movies when I was around eleven years old so got into the show quite early, Blueprint for Murder I recall was the first movie I watched, still one of my favorites.
    That's a great one. Patrick O'Neal was a charismatic actor (I think I first saw him in one of those Perry Mason movies and he made an impression). There's a certain refined style to the characters in these old Columbo episodes which I miss in today's output. Everyone seems quite intelligent and well spoken. Bond-like in a way.

s-l300.jpg

That's a great one. Patrick O'Neal was a charismatic actor (I think I first saw him in one of those Perry Mason movies and he made an impression). There's a certain refined style to the characters in these old Columbo episodes which I miss in today's output. Everyone seems quite intelligent and well spoken. Bond-like in a way.

Agreed also the early films were very cinematic, Spielberg got the first season off to a great start with Murder by the Book which showcased his raw ability well I thought, I suspect talent were queuing up to work on Columbo,
    I love Blueprint for Murder. I enjoy how the digging up of the pile winds up being such an important part of the story. Usually, Columbo's theories are easy to test. Not this time: the red tape, the number of people needed, the time and money it takes... the pressure is on for Columbo. And the resolution of the story is most satisfying.

I also like Patrick O'Neal's suave, but slightly detached and subtly sarcastic style.

s-l300.jpg

I agree. It's not too common these days.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,241
    That reminds me that Cannon was another great show.

Remember that show. It ran on weekends I think, when I was around 7-8 years old. Haven't seen it since, and have been thinking about buying a few series on DVD/Blu-ray. Unfortunately the only DVD's I've seen are Region 1, not Region 2 DVD's.
    Blueprint for Murder and Murder by the Book are both some of my favourite Columbo episodes from the 70's. Murder by the Book is probably my very favourite, as well. Jack Cassidy was always a perfect Columbo villain.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I remember as a kid being amazed with Cannon, as he had a phone in his car ! Yet today we all have Bluetooth so we all can have a phone in the car :D
    I remember as a kid being amazed with Cannon, as he had a phone in his car ! Yet today we all have Bluetooth so we all can have a phone in the car :D

Haha, that's true. As a kid of the 90's, mobile phones were already getting common by the time I got around to watch Cannon - my fascination was probably more the look of those American 70's cars, and the size of the bonnets.
  • I remember as a kid being amazed with Cannon, as he had a phone in his car ! Yet today we all have Bluetooth so we all can have a phone in the car :D

Haha, that's true. As a kid of the 90's, mobile phones were already getting common by the time I got around to watch Cannon - my fascination was probably more the look of those American 70's cars, and the size of the bonnets.

As an aside, there's a book called Quinn Martin, Producer. In the chapter about Cannon, there's an anecdote about how Anthony Spinner came aboard as the new day-to-day producer, Conrad wanted to have dinner with him. Spinner describes the sheer amount of food an booze Conrad consumed. The next day, Spinner was a bit woozy while Conrad was good to go. :-)

As an aside, there's a book called Quinn Martin, Producer. In the chapter about Cannon, there's an anecdote about how Anthony Spinner came aboard as the new day-to-day producer, Conrad wanted to have dinner with him. Spinner describes the sheer amount of food an booze Conrad consumed. The next day, Spinner was a bit woozy while Conrad was good to go. :-)

Interesting anecdote! Did Conrad gain weight during the series? Did a Google search, and in a few images he looks a bit larger. Might just be the clothes, of course.
    Cannon had his own comic srip, by Martin Asbury. It was excellent.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 2,115

Interesting anecdote! Did Conrad gain weight during the series? Did a Google search, and in a few images he looks a bit larger. Might just be the clothes, of course.

I think he gained at least weight. But for comparison, here's the main title of the pilot, with clips from the show:

Here's the opening to a final-season episode that includes clips from the show.

I think he gained at least weight. But for comparison, here's the main title of the pilot, with clips from the show:

Hard to tell from these, bur maybe he did gain a little bit. The music in that last clip is fantastically funky!

Didn't know there's a Cannon comic strip. Is it still available somewhere?
    He did put on a bit of weight, judging from the clips. But not too much.

Tonight's episode... The Broken Promise :D
    edited June 2018 Posts: 45,489

Hard to tell from these, bur maybe he did gain a little bit. The music in that last clip is fantastically funky!

No idea.
    8f102e18785174c0bc34eb371baf7345.jpg

I read a colorized version, that looked much better, inTempo in the 70s.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    He did put on a bit of weight, judging from the clips. But not too much.

Tonight's episode... The Broken Promise :D

You got to love the very 70's voice-over on that clip. Different era!

No idea.
    8f102e18785174c0bc34eb371baf7345.jpg

I read a colorized version, that looked much better, inTempo in the 70s.

Tempo, of course! Where else! Hope some reprints or something of that Cannon comic turns up at some point. Looks like the comic was originally published in the Countdown (later TV Action) comic book magazine:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countdown_(Polystyle_Publications)
    Other tv shows were also made into comics, like Kojak.
    Other tv shows were also made into comics, like Kojak.

The Persuaders, The Protectors, Hawaii Five-O (!), and others too - by looking at cover images online!

Probably no Columbo, though.
    I remember having a Christmas annual of
    The Persuaders.
    I remember having a Christmas annual of
    The Persuaders.

I had the vinyl LP of The Persuaders

R-1426184-1218726332.jpeg.jpg

It had various other John Barry tracks on, Sir Roger looking cool
    Have it on CD. To bring back the thread on track, I also have the Mystery Movies theme on one of my albums :

Curiously, it had, to the best of my knowledge, never been used in France.
    McCloud-another great show.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Have it on CD. To bring back the thread on track, I also have the Mystery Movies theme on one of my albums :

Can't remember seeing any of these, other than Columbo, of course.

Has McCloud/McMillan & Wife ever been aired on TV in Norway?

I watched McCloud on Friday nights some time in the mid 70s, on Detektimen.
    We had Banacek in the seventies, McMillan and Wife in the 90s, Madigan also. The others were unknown. At the time, french TV preferred one hero per series, so "umbrella shows" were almost unknown (apart perhaps The Name of the Game, but the reporters worked for the same newspaper). So Columbo became its own series, instead of airing alongside the others. Same for the other three.

I guess Columbo was part of Detektimen, too?
    We had Banacek in the seventies, McMillan and Wife in the 90s, Madigan also. The others were unknown. At the time, french TV preferred one hero per series, so "umbrella shows" were almost unknown (apart perhaps The Name of the Game, but the reporters worked for the same newspaper). So Columbo became its own series, instead of airing alongside the others. Same for the other three.

Banacek was a new title to me. Any good?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 45,489

I guess Columbo was part of Detektimen, too?

Yes, it was. As was Cannon. And The Persuaders, Mc Coy, Baretta, Cannon, Kojak, Gemini Man and others. In the 80s all of those were gone, and we got boring German and English shows like Derrick, Tatort, Bergerac and what have you.
    Banacek is another of my all time favourites.