Arctic Monkey's front man would love to do the Bond 23 theme

MI6MI6 Administrator
edited March 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 677
Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner has said he'd be interested in writing the theme for <a href="http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/bond23/index.php3">the next James Bond film</a>, reports the <a href="http://www.nme.com/news/arctic-monkeys/55482"; target="_blank">NME</a>.

The frontman has just released a soundtrack EP to new film Submarine, directed by his friend Richard Ayoade. He has now told BBC 6 Music he's up further movie work - but only for select projects.

When asked if he was set for more film forays he replied: "Not necessarily, I don't think of this as a soundtrack. I just wrote a few tunes and they happened to fit. I don't think I'd be very good at doing the soundtrack for Transformers or anything like that."

But when asked if he'd do a James Bond theme, he said: "Well, that's a different story. I'd love to do a tune for Bond. Definitely."

One of the tracks from the EP, 'Piledriver Waltz', is also featured on Arctic Monkeys' fourth album 'Suck It And See', which is released on June 9.

The band's drummer Matt Helders has told NME that the album is a more accessible record than their 2009 album, 'Humbug'.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    No thank you. I could think or worse but still, EON could do much better!
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    I'm not sure the undisguised regional accent he sings with would suit
    but if he wrote a song for someone else to sing it could work
    he's a very talented lyricist
    and likes to inject a bit of power and drama on the instrumental side
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Not sure how Arctic Monkeys sound but they sure are cute:

• edited March 2011 Posts: 562
    Now this is a fun little bit of news! They were one of my top picks for the next song about a year back on the old boards. I still think they'd do a good job of it.
  • I would really love to see them do the next bond song.

Listen to their DAF cover, they did an amazing job.
    No,No No.........Next Bond Theme Song should Be Written/Record by either Amy Winehouse (if she can stay drug free and sober) failing that Duffy .
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Dear me no. The Arctic Monkeys are a bunch of chavs. Why not get Wayne Rooney in to play Bond while we're at it?
  • With John Barry now sadly forever out of the frame to score another Bond theme song, and with David Arnold seemingly lacking the melodic inspiration to craft one of sufficient substance, one can only rejoice at the (as yet unconfirmed) news that Dutch singer Caro Emerald and her writers, David Schreurs, Vincent Degiorgio and Jan van Wieringen, are amongst those being considered to provide the theme song for ‘Bond 23’. The atmospheric The Other Woman, from the album “Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor” is melodically a present-day Bond theme in everything but name and is doubtless the number that first attracted the attention of the Bond producers. Fingers crossed ‘Bond 23’ will also be blessed with a decent and memorable theme song!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 23
    Early days surely.
  • Dear me no. The Arctic Monkeys are a bunch of chavs. Why not get Wayne Rooney in to play Bond while we're at it?
    They've changed a lot since their first two albums man. All you have to do is listen to Turner's side project with Miles Kane called The Last Shadow Puppets (particularly the song 'Age of the Understatement') to understand that he'd actually do quite well.
    Anybody who says Alex Turner couldn't do a good job hasn't heard anything off their last two albums. He really is a talented musician. Perhaps put a different slant on things. I for one am a fan of the Duran Duran and A-ha themes, you really never know.
    lotus wrote:
    No,No No.........Next Bond Theme Song should Be Written/Record by either Amy Winehouse (if she can stay drug free and sober) failing that Duffy .

Awkward.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Tobester95 wrote:
    Dear me no. The Arctic Monkeys are a bunch of chavs. Why not get Wayne Rooney in to play Bond while we're at it?
    They've changed a lot since their first two albums man. All you have to do is listen to Turner's side project with Miles Kane called The Last Shadow Puppets (particularly the song 'Age of the Understatement') to understand that he'd actually do quite well.
    Anybody who says Alex Turner couldn't do a good job hasn't heard anything off their last two albums. He really is a talented musician. Perhaps put a different slant on things. I for one am a fan of the Duran Duran and A-ha themes, you really never know.
    lotus wrote:

Awkward.

The Last Shadow Puppets would be amazing! They have my vote.
    Sandy wrote:
    Tobester95 wrote:
    lotus wrote:

Awkward.

The Last Shadow Puppets would be amazing! They have my vote.

If there is a God... but there isn't. :(
  • Well I'm in the minority but I wouldn't mind them doing Bond 24's theme. Much worse choices.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Well I'm in the minority but I wouldn't mind them doing Bond 24's theme. Much worse choices.

Just listen to this song. It screams car chase:

I think they shouldn't just do the theme, they should SCORE the entire film.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    That's it, Arctic Monkey or Last Shadow Puppets for Bond 24. Who's with me?
  • Rush are still my first choice but either of those two would be cool.