James Bond Academic Research and Analysis

TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
in Bond Movies Posts: 4,548
I'll start this thread to share academic articles and books that explore the (mostly cinematic) world of James Bond.

The second issue of The International Journal of James Bond Studies has been released. I think this journal is an interesting jumping off point.

A little shameless plug: my own article, "The Hero with Mad Skills: James Bond and the World of Extreme Sports" has been published in this issue.

Earlier this year, some interesting stuff has appeared in The Converation:

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So, anything yet? I like the premise.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,728
    I obviously like the academic study of Bondology and try to apply it with my blog, to greater and lesser degrees of success. I let the reader be the judge of that!

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Great topic. I just finished my Final Paper (Undergraduate Thesis) in Journalism. The title:

Nobody Does It Better - A Study About The Relations Of The Web Blogs Dedicated To The James Bond Character and the Communication Strategies Of The 007 Franchise
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Great topic. I just finished my Final Paper (Undergraduate Thesis) in Journalism. The title:

Nobody Does It Better - A Study About The Relations Of The Web Blogs Dedicated To The James Bond Character and the Communication Strategies Of The 007 Franchise

This is fantastic. Any snippets to share?
    TripAces wrote: »

Thanks mate. But not yet, as I still have the presentation to do later this month. Oh, and all the 87 pages are in Portuguese. :D

Interesting sounding topic. I have to ask though: Does my blog feature? Probably not, given it has more of a literary Bond focus! ;)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    TripAces wrote: »

Thanks mate. But not yet, as I still have the presentation to do later this month. Oh, and all the 87 pages are in Portuguese. :D

Congratulations, friend! Spanish is a sister language ;)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    So, can anyone submit an article?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 17,728
    So, can anyone submit an article?

For The International Journal of James Bond Studies? It would appear so.

I was looking at their website just last night and I printed off a few of the more interesting sounding articles to give them a read. I've always wanted there to be such a James Bond journal and am glad that it now exists. :)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Someone help me think of something suitably learned to write about!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Someone help me think of something suitably learned to write about!

I have about 100 (I think) good ideas for future Bond articles for my blog or further afield. I need to get them written down on paper though, beyond the article titles/ideas and attendant notes.
    Several good, or at least interesting, anthologies of academic writing on Bond and Fleming have been published over the past four decades. A partial list, along with a pair of useful essays:

Bennett, Tony, and Janet Woollacott. Bond and Beyond: the Political Career of a Popular Hero. London: Macmillan, 1987.

The James Bond Phenomenon: A Critical Reader, edited by Christoph Linder. 2nd ed. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2009.

For His Eyes Only: the Women of James Bond, edited by Lisa Funnell. New York: Wallflower Press, 2015.

Denning, Michael. “Licensed to Look.” Ch. 4 in Cover Stories: Narrative and Ideology in the British Spy Thriller. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1987.

Eco, Umberto. “Narrative Structures in Fleming.” Ch. 6 in The Role of the Reader: Explorations in the Semiotics of Texts. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1979.

The International Journal of James Bond Studies is a very welcome new publication, because it's high time that Fleming and Bond received dedicated academic attention, the sort that finds the subject worthy of analysis rather than condemnation.

I also want to note that a book entirely dedicated to essays about the book and film of Diamonds Are Forever is being readied for publication.
    Revelator wrote: »
    I also want to note that a book entirely dedicated to essays about the book and film of Diamonds Are Forever is being readied for publication.

That sounds great! Could you share more information?
    ggl007 wrote: »

I've contributed an essay on Tiffany Case and have just finished revising it. The collection will be published by Lexington Books, probably by the end of this year or beginning of next. Many of the essays are based on papers given at an academic conference--here's a summary of the presentations.

Revelator wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »

I've contributed an essay on Tiffany Case and have just finished revising it. The collection will be published by Lexington Books, probably by the end of this year or beginning of next. Many of the essays are based on papers given at an academic conference--here's a summary of the presentations.

Thanks. Very interesting, although it looks that much more work was dedicated to the novel. Very promising the scorpio part and the mud baths and its connotations...
  • You must let us know when it’s published, @Revelator ! I’ll put it on my Bond shelf.
    You must let us know when it’s published, @Revelator ! I’ll put it on my Bond shelf.

Seconded! It sounds like a great read from a renowned literary Bond expert.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 4,622
    @TripAces
    Very much looking forward to this article.
    Don't think much has been done on this topic.
    Fleming established Bond as an accomplished skier. Rog's rock climbing in FYEO, I think was consistent with what we could reasonably expect from Bond, but in the Broz era it does seem Bond picked up a lot of very specialized skills.
    World class surfer. Who knew?
    I'm not critiquing here, just observing.
    An analysis of Bond's mastery of extreme sports, and even his mastery of extreme military maneuvers such as the Halo jump in TND, and whatever he and Jinx were doing on the switch blade things in DAD, and what all that means = quite interesting.
    Bravo!

Edit: Broz Bond almost equals a Super Bond.
    The bungy jumping exhibition in GE was another example of extreme sports mastery

===
    "This article explores the symbiotic relationship between the James Bond films and extreme sports and argues that Bond's mastery of these sports (such as skiing, rock climbing, surfing, and BASE jumping) are a significant contributing factor to audiences' perceptions of the character as an archetypal hero and as a masculine icon. I will also explore Bond's status as a modern-day warrior and demonstrate the ways in which the Bond franchise has contributed to the culture of a number of extreme sports."

The cover of my finished work. :)

SSeVJTa.jpg
    WOW!

Congratulations, my friend!!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 6,682
    That cover just makes one want to read it.

I like how you wrote your name ;)

Edit: It seems they give you some freedom regarding the format of the cover. Cool.

SSeVJTa.jpg

That looks well impressive! Great job my friend!!!!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

SSeVJTa.jpg

Excellent!!!!!