No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

[/quote]
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Anyone a little worried about Boyle as director? He's mentioned:
    Danny says, at first, he wasn’t sure he was the right person for the job. “I like watching big films but I don’t think I’m necessarily good at making them. Then I thought ‘no, you shouldn’t think like that’.”

Doubt is human, we can all have moments when we doubt our ability but I dunno, his comments don't give me that much confidence. To admit you're not good at making big films - seems a crazy thing to come out with. Are EON/MGM are happy with this sort of comment? Go figure. I still think Bond directors should be hired based on their action film credentials, not if they've made an Oscar winning film. Bond is not Slumdog Millionaire or Trainspotting. It's Bond. It needs a director that thinks in action film terms. Just my opinion!

Clearly you're not too familiar with Boyle's work. He's the most action-qualified director since Martin Campbell.

Go watch 28 Days Later and Sunshine (even Trance). They may not be "big" action films but they are true genre films with thriller set-pieces.

Boyle is world's away from the pretentious art movies Sam Mendes put out. He's fundamentally a genre filmmaker and someone who is actually quite well-suited to Bond.

His most "arty" films are trainspotting and Slumdog and the only reason they're considered "artsy" is due to the award consideration they received. Both are very atypical of teh award circuit. One is a black comedy about heroin addiction and the other is a feel-good family film. In fact, even Boyle's family film, Millions, had a chase sequence that is genuinely thrilling.

The only time he's been outwardly flouting for Oscar attention was Steve Jobs. Which is a very well directed film and well-written script.

NicNac wrote: »
    They should introduce Bond in B25, showing him in a bad way and contemplating slitting his wrists, before changing his mind. Make light of it.

That would give the press 5 more years of material.

I was thinking that, too. Would be genius. Throwing it back into their faces
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,117
    antovolk wrote: »
    No, @TheWizardOfIce, I disagree. Like Star Wars, Bond is now a franchise - thanks to Skyfall - that's now moved far beyond its core fans. The market pressure is on them to keep that momentum going obviously. Does that mean the film won't be as high quality? No - look at The Last Jedi. Or the Nolan CBMs. Or the top tier of the MCU films like Black Panther. All very good films in their own rights quality wise, and not feeling as much like products unlike others. And if you think Bond is somehow above all that by not being 'infantilized' or 'CG drivel' despite the franchise's own formulaicness and tropes that so many of the 'core fans' wish a comeback to, well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    Given you seem to think TLJ and the Marvel films are the apotheosis of cinematic brilliance I think we are likely to agree as much Mark Hamill and Rian Johnson.

Going from this list being part of the billion dollar club doesn't put you in particularly great company:
    http://www.nme.com/photos/film-photos/highest-grossing-movies-over-one-billion-global-box-office-1956347
    About 4 or 5 films at most there that have the slightest interest for anyone over the age of 15.
    In any case you can make whatever quality film you want, you just have to sell it to the GA, and especially to the 'fanboy' crowd. Doesn't mean the film has to be tailored to the younger crowd, just make it great quality wise and MARKET the damn thing instead of coming off aloof. in the marketing itself
    So how do you sell things like expensive suits, cars, watches, fine food and drink, stylish hotels, exotic locations to teenagers who prefer action figures and dressing up at comic con?
    And as for the franchise imploding? Yeah, it won't. The 'wider' GA and the critics (if the quality remains high) will sustain it and take it to new heights just fine. I'm willing to put money on the core fanbase imploding though at some point like what's currently happening with parts of the Star Wars one as a result of The Last Jedi. And frankly, I'll be okay with that 'culling'. If anything that film is the perfect analogy for the position we're in with B25 - a director/writer given virtually carte blanche by the franchise custodian, backed by a big budget and a (theoretically) global brand which can market the hell out of that vision to all audiences. It's just that EON shouldn't be - marketing wise - aloof if they really want that billion and the franchise to live on. Because to live on for the next 50 years it's about adapting to the marketplace and always being in step with what audiences of the time expect (or at least making the appearance that they do - i.e. marketing), while ideally maintaining high quality.
    Yeah bugger the fans. We already know that is EON's attitude. And it's been proven to work at the box office - just take TLJ. I don't think Solo's lukewarm box office has anything to do in the slightest with people's reaction to TLJ.

Teenagers aren't the only audience out there even if it seems that way because Marvel and Star Wars seem to be able to rinse them endlessly.
    Being a billion dollar chaser doesn't mean every film needs to be DAD/Fast and Furious esque, and if you think that you clearly don't know or haven't seen many great blockbusters of today...
    No I haven't. See the list above. Only TDK and, if you're being extremely generous and viewing things through Bond tinted glasses, SF.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Marc Forster was no action director, too and (despite the insane editing) the action sequences were superb in QoS.
    Superb? The PTS and Sienna stuff are very good but after that? Slate fight is OK I guess but then you've got the dull and incomprehensible boat chase, the dogfight is average but then ruined by the terrible freefall sequence and the finale is fairly meh. There's nothing in QOS to top the vast majority of Glen era action.
    Clearly you're not too familiar with Boyle's work. He's the most action-qualified director since Martin Campbell.

Go watch 28 Days Later and Sunshine (even Trance). They may not be "big" action films but they are true genre films with thriller set-pieces.

Boyle is world's away from the pretentious art movies Sam Mendes put out. He's fundamentally a genre filmmaker and someone who is actually quite well-suited to Bond.

His most "arty" films are trainspotting and Slumdog and the only reason they're considered "artsy" is due to the award consideration they received. Both are very atypical of teh award circuit. One is a black comedy about heroin addiction and the other is a feel-good family film. In fact, even Boyle's family film, Millions, had a chase sequence that is genuinely thrilling.

The only time he's been outwardly flouting for Oscar attention was Steve Jobs. Which is a very well directed film and well-written script.

Wise words. I have no reservations about Boyle's actions chops and am sure we will be in safe hands on that front. It's only really the female agent protege thing that stops me being completely optimistic about his involvement.
  • RC7RC7
    They should introduce Bond in B25, showing him in a bad way and contemplating slitting his wrists, before changing his mind. Make light of it.

F***ing brilliant, Sir.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,164

Going from this list being part of the billion dollar club doesn't put you in particularly great company:
    http://www.nme.com/photos/film-photos/highest-grossing-movies-over-one-billion-global-box-office-1956347
    About 4 or 5 films at most there that have the slightest interest for anyone over the age of 15.

So how do you sell things like expensive suits, cars, watches, fine food and drink, stylish hotels, exotic locations to teenagers who prefer action figures and dressing up at comic con?

Yeah bugger the fans. We already know that is EON's attitude. And it's been proven to work at the box office - just take TLJ. I don't think Solo's lukewarm box office has anything to do in the slightest with people's reaction to TLJ.

Teenagers aren't the only audience out there even if it seems that way because Marvel and Star Wars seem to be able to rinse them endlessly.

No I haven't. See the list above. Only TDK and, if you're being extremely generous and viewing things through Bond tinted glasses, SF.

And therefore they shouldn't even try? From a purely business POV it's a bit stupid to suggest that they shouldn't - again, it's the biggest piece of IP that hasn't reached the heights of today's blockbusterdom. Or is Bond somehow all above that despite being built on similar tropes - some already considered problematic today from a social POV (dismiss this as PCness all you want, this stuff is still the talk of the town) - and always through the years been about adapting to the landscape. Say what you will about SP's attempts to adapt to the 2010s climate of heavily serialised storytelling in blockbusters, its possible failure on that front was a blip. Although no, of course you can't count the likes of F&F and Transformers as good cinema, as the films I listed showed - which have been very well received critically - I'd say Bond is in good company in the billion dollar club. Oh and did we forget about how well SF was received by critics and the general public?

How do you sell this - same way the comic book titles 'sell' the outlandish gadgets, Iron Man suits, technologically advanced nations and the like - put it in the context of an appealing story that is a cultural event one should not miss. The 'see it before you get spoiled' approach in marketing often adopted by Marvel and SW has worked wonders for them.

As for Solo's underperformance - oh it definitely had nothing to do with the so called backlash from TLJ: more like poor dating (they should have moved to December, audiences have already become used to that being Star Wars event time - now it's squished between Avengers/Deadpool on one side and Jurassic World on the other especially internationally where it opens next week), far too little marketing lead time for a concept that was underestimated in terms of audience appeal (people associating Harrison with Han), not to mention the buzz surrounding the production itself. If TLJ was really hated by audiences it wouldn't have reached a billion after that opening weekend like Batman v Superman didn't. While there are legit criticisms that have been voiced, the so called backlash - the calls for boycotting 'Soylo', Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy etc - is only coming from specific corners of the fanbase that are rather backwards to put it kindly. So if something similar happens here with Bond - which I just think it might, if some reactions I'm seeing on this thread and other Bond forums to the female villain/protege rumours, suggestions of Bond fitting into the current MeToo climate etc is to go by - I say yes, bugger THOSE fans.

Of course they aren't and yet the thing about blockbusters is that they are able to bring BOTH teenagers and older audiences out. Not appealing to teenagers and the wider 'fanboy' audience and the US/Canada audience has put a bit of a ceiling on how much Bond can do, manage to get both on board and it'll be in the upper end of the billion dollar club. And as The Last Jedi and Nolan's Batman output clearly and yes, Skyfall, showed - critical acclaim, great quality and billion dollar club are not mutually exclusive things. It's not one or the other. It's just a question of marketing and how you present the film to potential audiences.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I see Daniel Craig's getting the beers in as Bond. Well, I mean, you have to get your priorities right in life! ;)
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

Movie Gold.

edited May 2018 Posts: 17,729

Movie Gold.

Anything that sticks two fingers up to the gtoss misrepresentation of the gutter tabloid press in Britain will be a hit with me! They should run with it! :))
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,000

I wouldn’t mind something like that. Maybe just Bond responding to something with a cheeky “I’d rather slash my wrists.”
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The latest from CashleyPersia over on reddit:

I've heard the "big" idea is that Bond 25 will be a proper swansong for Craig and will give him a big meaty role. Supposedly, Bond will suffer from mental illness and depression.

They apparently going to film in Paris in December.

I've heard that Angelina Jolie is still being sought for the villain role. No word on who else is considered, but they want A-list.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Maybe this Cashley fella is the one suffering from mental illness.
    Red_Snow wrote: »

I've heard the "big" idea is that Bond 25 will be a proper swansong for Craig and will give him a big meaty role. Supposedly, Bond will suffer from mental illness and depression.

I've heard that Angelina Jolie is still being sought for the villain role. No word on who else is considered, but they want A-list.

The slashing wrist thing might not be so far off then.
    I hope all of what Cashley is saying is BS.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    S2: Skyfall

CashleyPersia 24 days ago: "the tone will be lighter than the last few movies"

That’s it! Bond will be bipolar!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

His comments are becoming quite the contradictory to what he claimed with his previous posts, each time.
    These rumors are making me less and less enthused.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It was intriguing when we were rabid and hungry for information but I feel like these rumors couldn't be more inconsistent anymore. I'd take all of them with a major, major grain of salt. That "Bond's female understudy" thing seems to have gotten dropped quick, too.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think I'll start omitting Cashley from the front page timeline.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Guys let's not forget cashleypersia's comments shouldn't be taken as complete fact he is hearing these things from people in the film business but I will say the idea of having bond suffer from mental illness is quite fascinating
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Has this been posted? An article on how Universal snatched up the OS rights. Also confirms that the deal is for one film only, and Annapurna aren't contributing to the production budget (as to whether Universal is, likely but not known ATM) https://www.screendaily.com/news/why-universal-was-the-clear-choice-as-international-partner-on-bond-25/5129720.article

“Barbara Broccoli wants a one billion dollar international gross”

Depressing comment. Maybe just think about making a good film first and foremost and let the grosses take care of themselves?

Agreed. This shows that Babs has learned nothing and her priorities aren't in order. Sure, a film is made to make money, especially a film on this scale but the priority and focus should be all about making a great film that actually delivers, something Bond hasn't properly done since CR. Make a good film worth seeing and the money will come.

Well, Babs has done serious Broadway shows and Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, so clearly she's not all about the $.
    echo wrote: »
    Has this been posted? An article on how Universal snatched up the OS rights. Also confirms that the deal is for one film only, and Annapurna aren't contributing to the production budget (as to whether Universal is, likely but not known ATM) https://www.screendaily.com/news/why-universal-was-the-clear-choice-as-international-partner-on-bond-25/5129720.article

“Barbara Broccoli wants a one billion dollar international gross”

Depressing comment. Maybe just think about making a good film first and foremost and let the grosses take care of themselves?

Agreed. This shows that Babs has learned nothing and her priorities aren't in order. Sure, a film is made to make money, especially a film on this scale but the priority and focus should be all about making a great film that actually delivers, something Bond hasn't properly done since CR. Make a good film worth seeing and the money will come.

Well, Babs has done serious Broadway shows and Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, so clearly she's not all about the $.

Don't see how this has anything to do with what I said.

She's interested in artistic quality as well as money. Whether those endeavors have been successful is another question entirely.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

The slashing wrist thing might not be so far off then.
    I hope all of what Cashley is saying is BS.
    If this rumour is true maybe he should slash his wrists for real and be done with it.

This does fit in with the Logan thing but honestly I think it's all rubbish. I can't imagine they'd want to depress us further than they already have, and it's not conducive to their reported $1bn foreign box office ambitions either. Better to go lighter, as that appears to be the trend in the market.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The big question I have is when Boyle/Hodge came up with their Bond idea. And under what circumstances. Was this something they started bantering around a long time ago, during their Beach days or something, that over the years became more serious? Or was it something they thought of after SP? Or was it an early idea they shelved and then worked on after SP?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    TripAces wrote: »
    The big question I have is when Boyle/Hodge came up with their Bond idea. And under what circumstances. Was this something they started bantering around a long time ago, during their Beach days or something, that over the years became more serious? Or was it something they thought of after SP? Or was it an early idea they shelved and then worked on after SP?

From what I understand, it’s an idea they’ve had since 2012 or prior.
    I am buying the tissues now to cry into when Craig leaves. I know Bond will go on but I'm finding it hard to see anyone out there who could do nearly as good a job.

It sounds more like they're about to film Raymond Benson's Doubleshot (2000)!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I am buying the tissues now to cry into when Craig leaves. I know Bond will go on but I'm finding it hard to see anyone out there who could do nearly as good a job.
    Babs shares your opinion. Who knows, maybe he'll do another one after a few years. Anything is possible so don't give up hope.
    bondjames wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Babs shares your opinion. Who knows, maybe he'll do another one after a few years. Anything is possible so don't give up hope.

It's kind of like a repeat of the Roger Moore era post-Moonraker when his initial contract for four ran out and where each new Bond film was negotiated separately by Moore and Eon until he felt the money to return to the Bond role was right.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It was intriguing when we were rabid and hungry for information but I feel like these rumors couldn't be more inconsistent anymore. I'd take all of them with a major, major grain of salt. That "Bond's female understudy" thing seems to have gotten dropped quick, too.

With a little thought it could be very easy to create a convincing ‘insider’ persona. I’ve mentioned it and proved it here before. It’s about creating a core of authenticity, then sprinkling in some left field (but believable) ‘rumours’.

If done well it’s hard to separate the BS from those who have some genuine insight. It’s why I get frustrated when certain things gain traction that I know are bollocks. I certainly do not consider myself an ‘insider’, but I do get very clear intel from time to time. I knew about P+W and Craig a long time before it was announced. But things do change - as evidenced with the P+W situation (but of course at the time that intel was true).

This Cashleypersia bloke has never seemed legit to me. The press play a similar trick - they trawl places like this and cherry pick genuinely interesting observations/ideas people like @Pierce2Daniel would post and legitimise them because they’re a ‘reputable’ source.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Boyle does 'cool' fairly naturally. Trainspotting has a special swagger to it. He also uses music well, from Trainspotting's iconic soundtrack to MIA's paper planes in Slumdog millionaire to 007 theme used in T2. While that's commercial song use he also uses score music very memorably and effectively in 28 Days Later.

Boyle appears to make films he's interested and passionate about rather than being seduced by a big Hollywood projects. The exception perhaps being The Beach, but even that is based on a novel by a writer (Alex garland) that Boyle would collaborate with on other films afterwards.

I'm really excited by Boyle and hodge being responsible for Bond 25. I can't think of too many more appropriate British director for Craig's swan song,