No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Heineken ad for the world cup would make sense!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    @wiz maybe having Dan advertising during the world cup isn't so out there. No doubt he'd be better in goal than that mong Karius.
  • RC7RC7
    octofinger wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    Has this been posted? An article on how Universal snatched up the OS rights. Also confirms that the deal is for one film only, and Annapurna aren't contributing to the production budget (as to whether Universal is, likely but not known ATM) https://www.screendaily.com/news/why-universal-was-the-clear-choice-as-international-partner-on-bond-25/5129720.article

“Barbara Broccoli wants a one billion dollar international gross”

Depressing comment. Maybe just think about making a good film first and foremost and let the grosses take care of themselves?

Agreed. This shows that Babs has learned nothing and her priorities aren't in order. Sure, a film is made to make money, especially a film on this scale but the priority and focus should be all about making a great film that actually delivers, something Bond hasn't properly done since CR. Make a good film worth seeing and the money will come.
    Quite. Rather than going back to the mindset that gave us CR sounds like they are still chasing an SF beater which is the kind of thinking that gave us SP.

If this quote from Babs is real, it should cause everyone to adjust their expectations. Billion-dollar films have to be written, directed, and acted in certain kinds of ways: nuance is out. (And don't be surprised if there's a Chinese angle - characters speaking a bit of Mandarin, or a scene set in China - to draw in that huge market).
    I couldn't disagree with you more. With Hodge writing and Boyle directing the thing you need to fear the least is nuance being out.

I don't mind Barbara wanting one billion dollar international gross, in fact I love it.

1. Nobody said one billion dollar international gross is her TOP PRIORITY.
    2. A producer has to be responsible with money. Aiming for a huge box office return is essential in today's market.

Agreed. Cubby was exactly the same. Their job is to satisfy the audience at large and the best marker of that is Box Office.

1bn is a benchmark these days, rather than an anomaly.

Like anyone I’d prefer a great movie over a profitable one, but they aren’t mutually exclusive and with Boyle in play the omens are good.

Presumably those who are disgusted by Barbara’s adimission are the ones who wank on about Box Office at every opportunity. She can’t win.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Has this been posted? An article on how Universal snatched up the OS rights. Also confirms that the deal is for one film only, and Annapurna aren't contributing to the production budget (as to whether Universal is, likely but not known ATM) https://www.screendaily.com/news/why-universal-was-the-clear-choice-as-international-partner-on-bond-25/5129720.article

Depressing comment. Maybe just think about making a good film first and foremost and let the grosses take care of themselves?

Agreed. This shows that Babs has learned nothing and her priorities aren't in order. Sure, a film is made to make money, especially a film on this scale but the priority and focus should be all about making a great film that actually delivers, something Bond hasn't properly done since CR. Make a good film worth seeing and the money will come.
    Quite. Rather than going back to the mindset that gave us CR sounds like they are still chasing an SF beater which is the kind of thinking that gave us SP.

If this quote from Babs is real, it should cause everyone to adjust their expectations. Billion-dollar films have to be written, directed, and acted in certain kinds of ways: nuance is out. (And don't be surprised if there's a Chinese angle - characters speaking a bit of Mandarin, or a scene set in China - to draw in that huge market).
    I couldn't disagree with you more. With Hodge writing and Boyle directing the thing you need to fear the least is nuance being out.

I don't mind Barbara wanting one billion dollar international gross, in fact I love it.

2. A producer has to be responsible with money. Aiming for a huge box office return is essential in today's market.

This. And let's count recent films which have earned over a billion without losing nuance - TDK, TDKR, Avengers: Infinity War, Star Wars: The Last Jedi (in mind that is a big example to go in in regards to B25 comparisons - Rian Johnson getting virtually carte blanche, like Boyle here...and I would not be surprised if parts of the Bond fanbase lose it like certain parts of the SW ones have over that film), Black Panther, Iron Man 3, oh and Skyfall.

How many of these films also play up the Chinese angle? Only two.

Avengers, TLJ, Black Panther and Iron Man 3 nuanced? You really must give me the name of your oculist. Even TDK and SF only pretend to be deep and meaningful. We're hardly talking Kieślowski or Tarkovsky with any of them are we?

Just give us a solid thrilling adventure with some actual stunts and the GB at the start. That's really all they need to think about.
    DCisared wrote: »
    @wiz maybe having Dan advertising during the world cup isn't so out there. No doubt he'd be better in goal than that mong Karius.
    Of course he would and he's an LFC fan to boot. But then any living mammal (and quite a few reptiles) would be better than Karius.

But if Dan is moving into football, why not have Karius move the other way into Bond films? Given his career as a goalkeeper is over he needs other avenues to explore and I reckon he's got the looks for a Grant/Necros clone. Obviously the plan falls down a bit when he garrotes himself in his first scene but still worth considering maybe?
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,164

This. And let's count recent films which have earned over a billion without losing nuance - TDK, TDKR, Avengers: Infinity War, Star Wars: The Last Jedi (in mind that is a big example to go in in regards to B25 comparisons - Rian Johnson getting virtually carte blanche, like Boyle here...and I would not be surprised if parts of the Bond fanbase lose it like certain parts of the SW ones have over that film), Black Panther, Iron Man 3, oh and Skyfall.

Avengers, TLJ, Black Panther and Iron Man 3 nuanced? You really must give me the name of your oculist. Even TDK and SF only pretend to be deep and meaningful. We're hardly talking Kieślowski or Tarkovsky with any of them are we?

Just give us a solid thrilling adventure with some actual stunts and the GB at the start. That's really all they need to think about.

Of course we aren't but they are on the upper end of the quality scale of big budget tentpole blockbusters. Which some people for some reason want to deny that Bond is...it's absolutely playing in that league now and it has its own market expectations. Both in terms of BO and in terms of quality. When I say nuance, I was responding to @octofinger's comment about how B25 won't have nuance just because BB is gunning for another billion+ dollars
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    BTW, in the Spain photo of Craig, he is wearing a wedding ring. In the Skyfall and SPECTRE Heineken adverts, he's not wearing a wedding ring. He married Rachel Weiz in 2011. Just sayin'
    It looks the same colour as his wedding ring, but what if it's a SPECTRE ring?

It's unlikely, but just a thought.
    More likely to be a nod to Bond’s marriage with Madeleine.
    Oh so obviously true @QuantumOrganization. I'm standing by for clues they had a child.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think it's important to keep in mind that Babs Broccoli is not the only one with an interest in James Bond. MGM has a 50% stake in the franchise, and I don't think Universal signed up for global distribution without expecting B25 to deliver at the box office. MGM are still highly dependent on the Bond films to fill their coffers, and particularly if a sale or IPO will follow B25's release. From what we've been hearing lately, they are gearing for the IPO but could still be subject to a bid, either hostile (from Barber potentially) or friendly (from Universal eventually).

It's also important to note that the $1bn number is not for total gross. It is for international, or foreign gross (excluding US) only. There are only a handful of films that have ever achieved that, and a few are from Universal. It's not an easy target to hit, particularly with an adult oriented thriller like James Bond.

If it's true that this is their goal (and I'm not sure if it is because that article had the poster speculating rather than a direct quote) then they could do it by pandering, or they could alternatively do it with high quality and effective marketing and promotion. I hope they choose the latter approach.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think it's important to keep in mind that Babs Broccoli is not the only one with an interest in James Bond. MGM has a 50% stake in the franchise, and I don't think Universal signed up for global distribution without expecting B25 to deliver at the box office. MGM are still highly dependent on the Bond films to fill their coffers, and particularly if a sale or IPO will follow B25's release. From what we've been hearing lately, they are gearing for the IPO but could still be subject to a bid, either hostile (from Barber potentially) or friendly (from Universal eventually).

It's also important to note that the $1bn number is not for total gross. It is for international, or foreign gross (excluding US) only. There are only a handful of films that have ever achieved that, and a few are from Universal. It's not an easy target to hit, particularly with an adult oriented thriller like James Bond.

If it's true that this is their goal (and I'm not sure if it is because that article had the poster speculating rather than a direct quote) then they could do it by pandering, or they could alternatively do it with high quality and effective marketing and promotion. I hope they choose the latter approach.

Exactly, and there are numerous examples showing that the latter is all you need. Bond arguably has it easier to clear that 1bn international target since it is a franchise that usually performs a lot stronger outside North America than within it.

But yes the two big issues going into B25 in terms of business are: 1. Its popularity in the US and 2. The demographics. As @bondjames said Bond is now usually considered adult aimed and if the US breakdowns are to go by you could put one out with an R rating and not lose much BO at all. But the fact that it does skew so heavily towards over 25s is a concerning anomaly amongst the big budget franchises of today. Why aren’t those like myself as excited for Bond as they are even for the Mission Impossible films? IMO Universal/Annapurna should really employ some of the strategies the big fanboy and comic book titles use to engage with audiences more directly to try and bring younger audiences into the fold. Why has Bond never done Comic Con, with its perfectly primed November release date? As vapid as it may seem to some, we should be seeing Craig and co goofing off with the movie YouTubers and other social media influencers at junkets, instead of shying away from them like the plague. And so on.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    But yes the two big issues going into B25 in terms of business are: 1. Its popularity in the US and 2. The demographics. As @bondjames said Bond is now usually considered adult aimed and if the US breakdowns are to go by you could put one out with an R rating and not lose much BO at all.
    I think we'd all be more than happy with an R rated Bond film wouldn't we?
    But the fact that it does skew so heavily towards over 25s is a concerning anomaly amongst the big budget franchises of today. Why aren’t those like myself as excited for Bond as they are even for the Mission Impossible films? IMO Universal/Annapurna should really employ some of the strategies the big fanboy and comic book titles use to engage with audiences more directly to try and bring younger audiences into the fold. Why has Bond never done Comic Con, with its perfectly primed November release date? As vapid as it may seem to some, we should be seeing Craig and co goofing off with the movie YouTubers and other social media influencers at junkets, instead of shying away from them like the plague. And so on.
    I prefer the vision of the future depicted in Threads than the one you postulate there. The day they start doing that I think will be the time to barricade myself in a cave with the Fleming novels (and CS) and all the films up to now (could probably leave DAD and SP if I was pushed for space I suppose).

Bond's USP in the market is it isn't CGI drivel aimed at comic book/sci fi geeks. The day it starts trying to go directly toe to toe with Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers and the Fast and the Furious and compete for the same audience is the day it loses it's core audience and implodes.
  • BMWTREKPSEBMWTREKPSE Colorado
    jake24 wrote: »
    ggl007 wrote: »
    ¡¡DANIEL CRAIG EN ESPAÑA!! https://bit.ly/2IVXJkJ

And what a surprise for everybody. He is filming at the Parador Nacional of Cardona (Barcelona). Apparently the City Hall had announced last week the filming of "a commercial for a very important brand". Today they shot a chase with an old taxi (from the 70's) and a... tractor!

They are sleeping at the amazing Parador (a IX century castle...), where it is expected to film something soon...

Sources say it is 100% a Heineken comercial.

7440861.jpg

daniel-craig-cardona.jpg
    I would've thought Craig was too busy filming B25 in Croatia this month.

When Craig does commercials like this does he get paid additionally or is this part of his suspected 66 million paycheck?
    00Agent wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I don't see any reason why they need to reference Madeleine. no one gives 2 hoots.

You could be right. I think we are reading more into it than the general public does. Not even sure why. After all it was a fairly classic Bond-gets-the-girl ending, for Craig that is.

There are hints in the Movie that there might be 'more' than usual between them but that doesn't really mean much in th grand scheme of things. Bond has a new girl every movie. We have not gotten a good reason why that should stop. Last thing i want to see is Bond dealing with Relationship issues. Let the man have his fun.

I give 7 hoots! ;-)
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 684
    Bond's USP in the market is it isn't CGI drivel aimed at comic book/sci fi geeks. The day it starts trying to go directly toe to toe with Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers and the Fast and the Furious and compete for the same audience is the day it loses it's core audience and implodes.
    Very much agreed. One of the things which sets Bond apart most in the current crop of franchises is, I think, that the movies still feel like movies and not, as with the rest of those you mentioned, products. Maybe the recent fear that Bond is no longer 'cool' among the kids (and aimed more directly at adults instead of general audiences) is fueled less by the infrequency of release or other type of mismanagement and more to do with certain expectations reinforced by the increasingly infantilized Hollywood output.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,187
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    BTW, in the Spain photo of Craig, he is wearing a wedding ring. In the Skyfall and SPECTRE Heineken adverts, he's not wearing a wedding ring. He married Rachel Weiz in 2011. Just sayin'
    It looks the same colour as his wedding ring, but what if it's a SPECTRE ring?

It's unlikely, but just a thought.
    More likely to be a nod to Bond’s marriage with Madeleine.
    Oh so obviously true @QuantumOrganization. I'm standing by for clues they had a child.
    You don’t recognize sarcasm, do you? My reply was to a person claiming that it could be a Spectre ring.

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

DCisared wrote: »
    Of course he would and he's an LFC fan to boot. But then any living mammal (and quite a few reptiles) would be better than Karius.

But if Dan is moving into football, why not have Karius move the other way into Bond films? Given his career as a goalkeeper is over he needs other avenues to explore and I reckon he's got the looks for a Grant/Necros clone. Obviously the plan falls down a bit when he garrotes himself in his first scene but still worth considering maybe?

Ha ha lovely stuff
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I should have marked mine as sarcasm as well, it wasn't lost on me, @QuantumOrganization. I had the same notion before I read your post.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Wasn’t @QuantumOrganization the guy who said he had an inside source or something but it wasn’t accurate or am I mixing him up with someone else.
  • RC7RC7
    Strog wrote: »
    Very much agreed. One of the things which sets Bond apart most in the current crop of franchises is, I think, that the movies still feel like movies and not, as with the rest of those you mentioned, products. Maybe the recent fear that Bond is no longer 'cool' among the kids (and aimed more directly at adults instead of general audiences) is fueled less by the infrequency of release or other type of mismanagement and more to do with certain expectations reinforced by the increasingly infantilized Hollywood output.

Important points, gents.
    Does the new Mission Impossible look like CGI drivel? And yet I've seen the online film press community in as well as social media in general, particularly younger users, be more excited for that from the day it was announced rather than with B25, or even when looking back at the lead up to Rogue Nation vs SPECTRE.

No, @TheWizardOfIce, I disagree. Like Star Wars, Bond is now a franchise - thanks to Skyfall - that's now moved far beyond its core fans. The market pressure is on them to keep that momentum going obviously. Does that mean the film won't be as high quality? No - look at The Last Jedi. Or the Nolan CBMs. Or the top tier of the MCU films like Black Panther. All very good films in their own rights quality wise, and not feeling as much like products unlike others. And if you think Bond is somehow above all that by not being 'infantilized' or 'CG drivel' despite the franchise's own formulaicness and tropes that so many of the 'core fans' wish a comeback to, well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. In any case you can make whatever quality film you want, you just have to sell it to the GA, and especially to the 'fanboy' crowd. Doesn't mean the film has to be tailored to the younger crowd, just make it great quality wise and MARKET the damn thing instead of coming off aloof. in the marketing itself

And as for the franchise imploding? Yeah, it won't. The 'wider' GA and the critics (if the quality remains high) will sustain it and take it to new heights just fine. I'm willing to put money on the core fanbase imploding though at some point like what's currently happening with parts of the Star Wars one as a result of The Last Jedi. And frankly, I'll be okay with that 'culling'. If anything that film is the perfect analogy for the position we're in with B25 - a director/writer given virtually carte blanche by the franchise custodian, backed by a big budget and a (theoretically) global brand which can market the hell out of that vision to all audiences. It's just that EON shouldn't be - marketing wise - aloof if they really want that billion and the franchise to live on. Because to live on for the next 50 years it's about adapting to the marketplace and always being in step with what audiences of the time expect (or at least making the appearance that they do - i.e. marketing), while ideally maintaining high quality. Being a billion dollar chaser doesn't mean every film needs to be DAD/Fast and Furious esque, and if you think that you clearly don't know or haven't seen many great blockbusters of today...
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I think Danny Boyle is a good choice because he, ironically enough for a 60 year old, injects new blood into the franchise. More importantly it brings John Hodge into the mix. A quality screenwriter whose films don't have many bloated run times or unnecessary elements. He's also a skilled and experienced adaptor of novels which will aid him integrating any strands from Craig's previous narratives into Bond 25. I think the only thing with Boyle is that he's not displayed much desire to incorporate memorable or complicated action sequences into his films. However he has done some good suspense work in thrillers.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Marc Forster was no action director, too and (despite the insane editing) the action sequences were superb in QoS.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Marc Forster was no action director, too and (despite the insane editing) the action sequences were superb in QoS.

Just cut in a way, it was unrecognizable. Put in a lot of what was cut and you have indeed great action. As it was, he slaughtered the money and effort put into it.
    What do we make of Boyle's comments in this article when asked about Brexit? I think whatever is 'idea' is for Bond 25, this is certainly a clue of where the film could be heading thematically...

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/03/danny-boyle-on-what-to-expect-from-t2-trainspotting/520227/

Boyle: But Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay in. And the consequence of that is that Scotland will leave the United Kingdom. It will take two years or longer but they will leave. I can absolutely guarantee it. With this provocation of “we’re going to retreat back into a little England with Scotland attached”—the Scots will always pick Europe over England. Ironically, the Englanders who dreamed of the old days and of Britain as an isolated kingdom away from Europe, they will have broken up the United Kingdom and reduced England even further.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Anyone a little worried about Boyle as director? He's mentioned:
    Danny says, at first, he wasn’t sure he was the right person for the job. “I like watching big films but I don’t think I’m necessarily good at making them. Then I thought ‘no, you shouldn’t think like that’.”

Doubt is human, we can all have moments when we doubt our ability but I dunno, his comments don't give me that much confidence. To admit you're not good at making big films - seems a crazy thing to come out with. Are EON/MGM are happy with this sort of comment? Go figure. I still think Bond directors should be hired based on their action film credentials, not if they've made an Oscar winning film. Bond is not Slumdog Millionaire or Trainspotting. It's Bond. It needs a director that thinks in action film terms. Just my opinion!
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus

Absolutely - on one hand you have Marc Forster, on the other Sam Mendes. Guess I feel it's been over a decade since I've seen a string of great, exhilirating action sequences in a single Bond film. CR and QOS had at least two each. For the record I loved SF, so I'm no Mendes hater - the opening of SF is his best action sequence. I'm excited to see what Boyle does and I'm sure he'll use the world class resources at his disposal when it comes to EON's action department! Also loved the way Boyle used the '007' theme in Trainspotting 2. That brought a Craig smirk to my face and a Moore raise to my eyebrow when I saw that in the cinema.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 512
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Danny says, at first, he wasn’t sure he was the right person for the job. “I like watching big films but I don’t think I’m necessarily good at making them. Then I thought ‘no, you shouldn’t think like that’.”

Doubt is human, we can all have moments when we doubt our ability but I dunno, his comments don't give me that much confidence. To admit you're not good at making big films - seems a crazy thing to come out with. Are EON/MGM are happy with this sort of comment? Go figure. I still think Bond directors should be hired based on their action film credentials, not if they've made an Oscar winning film. Bond is not Slumdog Millionaire or Trainspotting. It's Bond. It needs a director that thinks in action film terms. Just my opinion!

He has never made a big picture. I can understand why he has doubts on taking a huge project like this.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Boyle:
    “The unknown is exciting. The fear is very important. If you repeat yourself you don’t ask yourself enough questions, you don’t feel the fear about what you’re doing because you feel you know what you’re doing.”

I guess there is positive fear and negative fear. What I mean is if you use the fear in a positive way - to make the most out of the situation. Negative fear is when it inhibits you, stops you achieving things. My impression is he fears the overall scope of a Bond film but the fear inspires him to meet the challenge! But if he turns up on the set and he's shaking like a leaf, then we are in trouble! :P

I'm not sure a final Craig film will guarantee a billion dollar international gross. Seems doubtful. I'm sure Bond 25 will be a major hit, most likely break UK box office records, but 700 million international would seem a more realistic target.

• RC7RC7

I don’t personally agree with that. What they need is someone who can do suspense, tension and thrills, which Boyle unquestionably can. A 2nd unit director will aid Danny in executing the action - for which I’ve no doubt he’ll have plenty of ideas.

There’s a refreshing honesty to his comments. He’s not some Billy Big Bollocks whose going to swan in and slap his cock on the table. He’ll think hard and take care to deliver.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    They should introduce Bond in B25, showing him in a bad way and contemplating slitting his wrists, before changing his mind. Make light of it.

That would give the press 5 more years of material.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

I'm not sure a final Craig film will guarantee a billion dollar international gross. Seems doubtful. I'm sure Bond 25 will be a major hit, most likely break UK box office records, but 700 million international would seem a more realistic target.
    On the face of it I tend to agree. $1bn international is no easy feat, particularly with a Danny Boyle entry. It can be done, but it's unlikely.

Again, we don't know if she really said that.

What I'm hopeful for is that they deliver a film that makes a cinematic statement. Something consequential, like CR & SF were. The box office will be what it is.

Many of us see CR as being equal to or better than SF, and it performed far less well at the box office.

So the numbers are nice, but it's not everything. The trick is to do it with panache and style while retaining the franchise's dignity and keeping its reputation intact. That's what I'm hoping for.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

In large part because they had the second unit Bourne director . So that’s what I would say they need now