No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I am just dying to know what this idea is. I feel like it keeps coming up over and over again. It must be something truly remarkable. (Hopefully).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The World Cup is where you can reach the big, global audiences. The Super Bowl is targeted for an American audience, after all.

Could be both, but I agree about the World Cup being for a global audience. The spot could air first during the World Cup and still air early next year during the Super Bowl for American marketing.
    If they’re only just filming it now aren’t they cutting a bit fine for the World Cup? I suppose if they aim to debut it for the knockout stages perhaps but to get the post and editing done for two weeks today seems a bit rushed doesn’t it?
    It's a fair point, but if they want to reintroduce the Bond brand into audience consciousness there is no better place than The World Cup, particularly if aspirations of $1bn international gross are to be believed. Looking forward to whatever they come up with.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    antovolk wrote: »
    Has this been posted? An article on how Universal snatched up the OS rights. Also confirms that the deal is for one film only, and Annapurna aren't contributing to the production budget (as to whether Universal is, likely but not known ATM) https://www.screendaily.com/news/why-universal-was-the-clear-choice-as-international-partner-on-bond-25/5129720.article

“Barbara Broccoli wants a one billion dollar international gross”

Depressing comment. Maybe just think about making a good film first and foremost and let the grosses take care of themselves?

Agreed. This shows that Babs has learned nothing and her priorities aren't in order. Sure, a film is made to make money, especially a film on this scale but the priority and focus should be all about making a great film that actually delivers, something Bond hasn't properly done since CR. Make a good film worth seeing and the money will come.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Totally agree on the world cup theory: Bond was away a bit too long and the world cup is an excellent place to bring Bond back so to speak and to further tie it to your brand (Heineken). I am looking forward to it.

The interview with Boyle sounds very encouraging and not only he thinks it is a really good idea they‘re having but they convinced EON plus Universal, too. Sounds promising - I doubt Irma Bunt will end up as Bond‘s aunt in this entry.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    BTW, in the Spain photo of Craig, he is wearing a wedding ring. In the Skyfall and SPECTRE Heineken adverts, he's not wearing a wedding ring. He married Rachel Weiz in 2011. Just sayin'
    BTW, in the Spain photo of Craig, he is wearing a wedding ring. In the Skyfall and SPECTRE Heineken adverts, he's not wearing a wedding ring. He married Rachel Weiz in 2011. Just sayin'
    They could have edited it out last time, or he may in fact remove it prior to the cameras rolling in Spain.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Has this been posted? An article on how Universal snatched up the OS rights. Also confirms that the deal is for one film only, and Annapurna aren't contributing to the production budget (as to whether Universal is, likely but not known ATM) https://www.screendaily.com/news/why-universal-was-the-clear-choice-as-international-partner-on-bond-25/5129720.article

Depressing comment. Maybe just think about making a good film first and foremost and let the grosses take care of themselves?

Agreed. This shows that Babs has learned nothing and her priorities aren't in order. Sure, a film is made to make money, especially a film on this scale but the priority and focus should be all about making a great film that actually delivers, something Bond hasn't properly done since CR. Make a good film worth seeing and the money will come.
    Quite. Rather than going back to the mindset that gave us CR sounds like they are still chasing an SF beater which is the kind of thinking that gave us SP.

Quite. Rather than going back to the mindset that gave us CR sounds like they are still chasing an SF beater which is the kind of thinking that gave us SP.
    I think it's possibly a bit different to the SP scenario this time. I don't think this will be a kitchen sink Bond film which that, regrettably, was.

Universal has expertise in churning out small budget successes internationally in addition to their traditional behemoth lines (JW, FF).

My point is, they could still give us something lean but deliver outsize overseas box office with savvy marketing and promotion.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,164

I hope you guys realise that in today's market it is not at all as simple. The by far best film of 2018 so far got shelved straight to Netflix internationally and bombed in the US. At the same time, that doesn't mean these things are mutually exclusive - as Solo's opening weekend showed. Obviously, Bond 25 is more akin to the main episode films in this analogy....

Oh and, caring about the monetary expectations her JOB to put it simply. She and MGW are sitting on the biggest piece of IP that's not tied to a specific studio, should she NOT want to compete with the Marvels and the Star Wars of the world? And hiring Boyle and letting him and Hodge come in with an original idea like that and abandoning P&W - you'd only think that someone like Nolan would get that sort of treatment, she's now got the creative part clearly on lock down. And she can now care about getting audiences to see what Boyle/Hodge came up with.

This may be the first time we've gotten a properly director driven Bond film, even more so than Mendes with SF and SP.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,921

Well, Babs has done serious Broadway shows and Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, so clearly she's not all about the $.

I do hope that Boyle casts someone like Kate Winslet in a major role.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

It looks the same colour as his wedding ring, but what if it's a SPECTRE ring?

It's unlikely, but just a thought.
    Boyle must be very confident with this idea to change his mind about doing a bigger budget film since that’s not what he’s known for. Whether it works out or not, I think what we’re going to get is going to be significantly fresher than SP was.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,187
    Red_Snow wrote: »

More likely to be a nod to Bond’s marriage with Madeleine.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    echo wrote: »

Well, Babs has done serious Broadway shows and Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, so clearly she's not all about the $.

Don't see how this has anything to do with what I said.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a bit premature for them to start marketing Bond 25 over a year before its release? I mean, they haven't done this sort of thing before. Every bit of their commercials came in the year they were going to release a film.
    I remember they used to run the Brosnan Omega print ads when there was no Bond film in the works, so there is precedent.

Given Bond has been off the radar for so long, and because the market has changed so drastically in the intervening period, it perhaps makes sense to remind people of the character and get them ready for what is coming next year. The World Cup is a global sport and Bond is a global brand, so it's as good a chance as any to get visibility.
    It’d be delightful to have Bond being marketed during the World Cup event.

I think it's possible that you're getting this backward.

My wager is that this is Bond promoting Heineken, not the other way around. If my theory is right, Heineken want a big-ticket ad that will be a conversation starter for a worldwide audience. And Bond is recognizable all over the world, so this is a good way to do it.
    octofinger wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a bit premature for them to start marketing Bond 25 over a year before its release? I mean, they haven't done this sort of thing before. Every bit of their commercials came in the year they were going to release a film.
    I remember they used to run the Brosnan Omega print ads when there was no Bond film in the works, so there is precedent.

Given Bond has been off the radar for so long, and because the market has changed so drastically in the intervening period, it perhaps makes sense to remind people of the character and get them ready for what is coming next year. The World Cup is a global sport and Bond is a global brand, so it's as good a chance as any to get visibility.

My wager is that this is Bond promoting Heineken, not the other way around. If my theory is right, Heineken want a big-ticket ad that will be a conversation starter for a worldwide audience. And Bond is recognizable all over the world, so this is a good way to do it.
    The thing about these promotional tie-ins is that they work both ways. In this instance, I'd say they both benefit immeasurably from being shown during such an event, if this is in fact the purpose that the ad is for. Keep in mind Heineken's banner ads are likely to be around the stadiums anyway.

After all, EON/MGM have control over this and wouldn't let Craig do it one year in advance of the film's release unless there was a foreseeable benefit. This could also be part of the considerable Universal marketing machine at work, earning its keep already.

Let's see if it pops up in a month.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

The thing about these promotional tie-ins is that they work both ways. In this instance, I'd say they both benefit immeasurably from being shown during such an event, if this is in fact the purpose that the ad is for. Keep in mind Heineken's banner ads are likely to be around the stadiums anyway.

After all, EON/MGM have control over this and wouldn't let Craig do it one year in advance of the film's release unless there was a foreseeable benefit. This could also be part of the considerable Universal marketing machine at work, earning its keep already.

The benefit for EON is getting that nice hefty Cheque from Heineken for allowing Daniel to appear as bond in front of World Cup.

If this quote from Babs is real, it should cause everyone to adjust their expectations. Billion-dollar films have to be written, directed, and acted in certain kinds of ways: nuance is out. (And don't be surprised if there's a Chinese angle - characters speaking a bit of Mandarin, or a scene set in China - to draw in that huge market).

If this quote from Babs is real, it should cause everyone to adjust their expectations. Billion-dollar films have to be written, directed, and acted in certain kinds of ways: nuance is out. (And don't be surprised if there's a Chinese angle - characters speaking a bit of Mandarin, or a scene set in China - to draw in that huge market).
    You make an excellent point about nuance. That is a deep concern of mine, in this never ending chase for global hearts and minds. Humour that may work very well locally sometimes doesn't resonate globally, and also when translated. That has to be adjusted for.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2018 Posts: 9,117
    Keep in mind Heineken's banner ads are likely to be around the stadiums anyway.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/partners/

So much for that theory. Heineken might have bought time in the advertising breaks but Bud don’t shell out the sort of prices FIFA charge to have a rival beer company sharing the space too.

Bud is the beer of the World Cup I’m afraid (shows that FIFA know as much about beer as they do about transparency and probity) and during a World Cup why would Heineken use Bond to plug its product anyway? Surely you’d hire a famous player and film him swigging from a bottle?

Agreed 100%. They stop being stories and just turn into massive marketing vehicles trying to please as many disparate groups as possible and to not risk the slightest offence.

Bollocks to the Chinese frankly. If they would prefer to watch dross like Transformers and Pacific Rim over Bond that’s their funeral. The idea that we would go chasing their money in a manner you suggest is nauseating.

Thankfully I can’t see Boyle signing up if that was the case. He’s the one beacon of hope I have in this morass of low expectations and lack of faith that EON know what they’re doing any more.

So much for that theory. Heineken might have bought time in the advertising breaks but Bud don’t shell out the sort of prices FIFA charge to have a rival beer company sharing the space too.

Bud is the beer of the World Cup I’m afraid (shows that FIFA know as much about beer as they do about transparency and probity) and during a World Cup why would Heineken use Bond to plug its product anyway? Surely you’d hire a famous player and film him swigging from a bottle?
    Budweiser? That's certainly a surprise to me. Disappointing.

Well in that case this is perhaps just advance filming for an ad which will be held in the back pocket for a future release date.

Seems like a wasted opportunity to me though. I think World Cup exposure would have been very good for Bond, to build anticipation for 2019.
    Agreed 100%. They stop being stories and just turn into massive marketing vehicles trying to please as many disparate groups as possible and to not risk the slightest offence.

Bollocks to the Chinese frankly. If they would prefer to watch dross like Transformers and Pacific Rim over Bond that’s their funeral. The idea that we would go chasing their money in a manner you suggest is nauseating.

Thankfully I can’t see Boyle signing up if that was the case. He’s the one beacon of hope I have in this morass of low expectations and lack of faith that EON know what they’re doing any more.

I'm not saying I like the Chinese angle, but anyone who's watched a blockbuster in the last 5 years has seen it. There's nearly always a Chinese character stuck in there somewhere.

As for the nuance: it was Eddie Van Halen, of all people, who put it well years ago. Some interviewer was giving him stick for playing loud bashing rock, even though he had such dextrous fingers and such a wide musical palette. He said that if he were going to be playing on an acoustic guitar, he could do all sorts of intricate stuff. But when you're playing out of 20-foot-tall stadiums for crowds of 50 000, the complicated chords or fingerpickings just don't translate. You have to pound on loud chords and get everyone to clap their hands.

So it goes with a movie that you want 100 million people to enjoy.

Budweiser? That's certainly a surprise to me. Disappointing.

Well in that case this is perhaps just advance filming for an ad which will be held in the back pocket for a future release date.

Seems like a wasted opportunity to me though. I think World Cup exposure would have been very good for Bond, to build anticipation for 2019.

I imagine Amy Pascal would have jumped at the chance to have a Bond presence during the World Cup, given the SP email leaks, and her eagerness to replicate the London 2012 cameo.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World

More likely to be a nod to Bond’s marriage with Madeleine.

It's also possible he was just on the way to set and will take the ring off for the filming.

I couldn't disagree with you more. With Hodge writing and Boyle directing the thing you need to fear the least is nuance being out.

I don't mind Barbara wanting one billion dollar international gross, in fact I love it.

1. Nobody said one billion dollar international gross is her TOP PRIORITY.
    2. A producer has to be responsible with money. Aiming for a huge box office return is essential in today's market.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Perhaps Boyle's great idea is that Bond actually arrested Blofeld because he wanted to become the head of SPECTRE? So Bond is gonna be Bond 25's villain.

(just for clarification, I think such idea is just as bad as Bond having an understudy or the villain being a former lover of Bond's)

If Rachel is roughly half way through her pregnancy, and the SF/SP Heineken ads were filmed in September, could they simply be filming it now while Craig is available?

Presumably he will want to spend as much time at home with Rachel and the baby before he begins filming in December.

My first thought reading this was: "Spectre pissfilter", haha! Hardly surprising Bud are the official beer, though. Big events=weak, watery beer.
    The World Cup is where you can reach the big, global audiences. The Super Bowl is targeted for an American audience, after all.

Could be both, but I agree about the World Cup being for a global audience. The spot could air first during the World Cup and still air early next year during the Super Bowl for American marketing.
    If they’re only just filming it now aren’t they cutting a bit fine for the World Cup? I suppose if they aim to debut it for the knockout stages perhaps but to get the post and editing done for two weeks today seems a bit rushed doesn’t it?

That's a good point. Would be little use to release it towards the end of the tournament too perhaps. But we don't know much about the ad - perhaps Craig doesn't appear in all of it? There was this one for SF, for example:

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    We've talked with people from Cardona (Barcelona).

Apparently Daniel Craig was there on Tuesday and he left.

Today, Wednesday, they filmed a taxi arriving to Plaza del Mercado (Market Square) and Craig's double was running behind the vehicle. It was also planned a scene descending by the facade of a church (!).

The commercial was also shot inside the Parador (the IXth century castle) where one of the rooms has been transformed into a disco (!!).

The source told me twice that Craig was in white and his double, too, so I don't know where or when he'll be wearing the tuxedo.

New photos of the taxi and the square:

img0810-11_g.jpg

img0815-4_g.jpg

img0822-3_g.jpg

More here: http://www.regio7.cat/multimedia/fotos/comarques/bages/2018-05-30-127703-rodatge-anunci-heineken-cardona.html
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,164

I couldn't disagree with you more. With Hodge writing and Boyle directing the thing you need to fear the least is nuance being out.

I don't mind Barbara wanting one billion dollar international gross, in fact I love it.

1. Nobody said one billion dollar international gross is her TOP PRIORITY.
    2. A producer has to be responsible with money. Aiming for a huge box office return is essential in today's market.

This. And let's count recent films which have earned over a billion without losing nuance - TDK, TDKR, Avengers: Infinity War, Star Wars: The Last Jedi (in mind that is a big example to go in in regards to B25 comparisons - Rian Johnson getting virtually carte blanche, like Boyle here...and I would not be surprised if parts of the Bond fanbase lose it like certain parts of the SW ones have over that film), Black Panther, Iron Man 3, oh and Skyfall.

How many of these films also play up the Chinese angle? Only two.