No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    CR (...) was grounded, but completely exhilarating and bursting with life and energy.
    Perfectly described. It remains the highlight of this era and I hope they go back to its style with the next film.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    mattjoes wrote: »
    CR (...) was grounded, but completely exhilarating and bursting with life and energy.
    Perfectly described. It remains the highlight of this era and I hope they go back to its style with the next film.

With Boyle it is entirely possible. Even though he has a style of his own of course. But he is pretty much known for vibrant and exhilarating movies.

I have been watching all of Boyles movies in the last 2 Month and I came to the conclusion that Boyle may be my favorite director to ever take on Bond. I never cared for any of the other guys BEFORE their Bond gig. With Boyle i love almost his entire filmography.

There are a couple of things i would like to point out, there is definitly some connective tissue in his movies that may be hinting at what he could do with Bond25. What he seems to be mostly drawn to are storys where the main character goes through absolute hell just to come out victorious at the other end, from Trainspotting, Slumdog millionaire, 28 Days Later to Sunshine, 127 Hours (in spades).
    He is a sucker for happy endings with a meaning behind them. I have a strong feeling he will utilize that in B25.

Meneds was completely different, moody, more drawn to slightly nihilistic Material, and it shows in both his films. He liked to dwell in moods, while Boyle comes straight to the point, thats why his movies are relatively short. They could not be more different from one another.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 725
    SharkBait wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    What do folks think about whether there will be a varied ethnic complexion of characters in this film

As long as it's not inplemented in to the movie like Rose was in TLJ. That chatacter was just garbage, made to sell SW to chinese audiences.

They cast a Vietnamese actress to appeal to Chinese audiences?

Splendid thinking lad.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Um
    oh god, i've just noticed that John Hodge co-scripted the abomination that was 'The Sweeney' remake.....

You talkin' bout Sweeney Todd.? Have not seen it in while. But you're not talking about that movie, are ya?

No i wasn't. If i was talking about Sweeney Todd i would have written 'Sweeney Todd'
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    “We’re the Sweeney, son. And we haven’t had any dinner.”
    peter wrote: »
    I understood why they may've wanted to go the Armstrong route-- so happy that he won't be a part of B25.

I know enough guys that worked with him in the past, and, respect to his legacy- yes he's a great second unit guy with history, no doubt- he's also been known as quite difficult and unlikeable to work with. His ego is huuuuuge.....

Plus it means fresher stunts with a new co-ordinator.....

Phew! Am delighted that it was only a rumour. Never rated him at all. His action scenes were generic and boring and went on forever!
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited May 2018 Posts: 732
    Craig looked best in QoS (also in terms of his clothing) - but I liked his Skyfall outfits in the "Enjoying Death" and "Shaghai" sequences, too.

There's some things I adopted for myself: The Talamone outfit, the Harrington Jacket and the Shanghai Outfit from Skyfall. Loved the looks and they fit my wardrobe pretty good. Since I am about Craig's height and general frame it works for me - would never be able to dress like Connery for example ... would never suit me.

Whoever was involved in the QoS wardrobe should be back - hence I totally agree the women all looked gorgeous in SF + SP.
    Robert Carlisle as Blofeld anyone?
    Ewan Mcgregor as a rival 00?
    00Agent wrote: »

With Boyle it is entirely possible. Even though he has a style of his own of course. But he is pretty much known for vibrant and exhilarating movies.

I have been watching all of Boyles movies in the last 2 Month and I came to the conclusion that Boyle may be my favorite director to ever take on Bond. I never cared for any of the other guys BEFORE their Bond gig. With Boyle i love almost his entire filmography.

There are a couple of things i would like to point out, there is definitly some connective tissue in his movies that may be hinting at what he could do with Bond25. What he seems to be mostly drawn to are storys where the main character goes through absolute hell just to come out victorious at the other end, from Trainspotting, Slumdog millionaire, 28 Days Later to Sunshine, 127 Hours (in spades).
    He is a sucker for happy endings with a meaning behind them. I have a strong feeling he will utilize that in B25.

Meneds was completely different, moody, more drawn to slightly nihilistic Material, and it shows in both his films. He liked to dwell in moods, while Boyle comes straight to the point, thats why his movies are relatively short. They could not be more different from one another.

well said. At their heart Boyle's films tell compelling stories while Mendes does atmosphere with narrative bolted on.

I am looking forward to a Bond film with a strong plot at its core - something we haven't really had since CR.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Getafix wrote: »

well said. At their heart Boyle's films tell compelling stories while Mendes does atmosphere with narrative bolted on.

I am looking forward to a Bond film with a strong plot at its core - something we haven't really had since CR.

This i agree with.

I remember Mendes's 'Road To Perdition' being all surface and no content.

I think one reviewer at the time described it as a beautiful Mercedes with no engine.

I'll take a good strong story with great dialogue over action and effects any day of the week.

Something i'm hoping Boyle brings to the proceedings.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Getafix wrote: »

This i agree with.

I remember Mendes's 'Road To Perdition' being all surface and no content.

I think one reviewer at the time described it as a beautiful Mercedes with no engine.

I'll take a good strong story with great dialogue over action and effects any day of the week.

Something i'm hoping Boyle brings to the proceedings.

Mendes made some great films. Road to Perdition is definitely one of them. Fantastic film:-)
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,661
    At the risk of sounding ageist... Vic Armstrong is 71. I think the franchise needs younger blood. All credit to his career, but a younger guy would seem more appropriate, perhaps.

If Bond 25 has average action scenes (it's all subjective, I know) then some fans will question the decision to hire Boyle. It's probably worth some fans moaning now rather than using hindsight as an excuse to criticize his hiring. Personally I'd choose an established or upcoming action director over a Mendes type. The Bond films are action driven films. not 'character driven drama' films. I reckon C Broccoli and Saltzman saw Bond as action films first, character driven second. If Boyle delivers on both counts - action and drama - he'll please most fans.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bond 25 can end the Craig era on a high,, and give us a taste of what is likely to come thereafter. A bit of vigour and energy, hopefully after the sluggishness and introspective nature of the last couple movies.
    Boyle doesn't have much experience with action. 'Trance' has some brief action, other than that I'm not sure.
    As I said I'm glad Armstrong is not involved. Was it not claimed that stunt co-ordinator Greg Powell was to be promoted to second unit director?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Boyle doesn't have much experience with action. 'Trance' has some brief action, other than that I'm not sure.
    As I said I'm glad Armstrong is not involved. Was it not claimed that stunt co-ordinator Greg Powell was to be promoted to second unit director?

Like I said, Bond 25 will be more about character and emotion than about action spectacle.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Michael Apted had little to no action experience when he directed TWINE, yet there is plenty of action sequences in that film.
    So it will be with Bond 25 no doubt. As no-one has seen a script, or any story angles, it's a little premature to say what will happen.
    It's possible that Boyle will want to scale the action back, but there will still be action in the next movie. It's a Bond film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423

Like I said, Bond 25 will be more about character and emotion than about action spectacle.
    Give me an action-driven adventure starring an eyebrow raising but relevant adventurer any day over emotion and so-called character development. Any day of the week, I say. As I speak for myself, give me an era where the standards are the former rather than the latter.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Benny wrote: »
    Michael Apted had little to no action experience when he directed TWINE, yet there is plenty of action sequences in that film.
    Not sure that is the best example as, PTS aside, the action in that film is largely terrible.

Give me an action-driven adventure starring an eyebrow raising but relevant adventurer any day over emotion and so-called character development. Any day of the week, I say. As I speak for myself, give me an era where the standards are the former rather than the latter.

I agree but that is not what we will be getting with a Boyle directed Craig Bond film. Looking forward to B26 and a new actor for that very reason.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not sure that is the best example as, PTS aside, the action in that film is largely terrible.

I didn't say it was great action ;)
    The PTS, the snow chase, the nuclear facility, the (lol) defusing the bomb in the pipe, the helicopter buzz saw attack at the caviar factory, and the submarine finale.
    It's pretty full of action. Even with a director noted for his story telling and appreciation of actors, TWINE still missed the mark. At least for me.
    I'm hoping the same will not be so of Bond 25. With Boyle I have the same level of confidence since I heard Martin Campbell was directing CR.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I didn't say it was great action ;)
    Fair point.
    With Boyle I have the same level of confidence since I heard Martin Campbell was directing CR.
    I’m with you there. The fresh injection of ideas Boyle will bring is the only thing that gives me any optimism over the whole project at all.

Although if this ‘female protege agent’ is true even that optimism might prove to be misplaced.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,837

Can't we have both? That was why I really liked Spectre. Bond's as fleshed out and real seeming as he is in the other Craig movies and actually develops, but they wrapped that up in an old school adventure with one liners and a giant henchman and a bespoke bulletproof Aston and all that other stuff (while still subverting that so it doesn't get boring, love how he finally gets to bust out the shaken not stirred line and they don't serve alcohol).

I think the only misstep was the foster brother angle. I prefer the emotion and character development to come from the mission/story/Bond's adult life instead of contrived links to his childhood. But I think that was a Mendes thing, can't see Boyle going there again. I'm optimistic.

I liked SF and really liked SP but I do think Boyle will be just what we need after two Mendes movies. The last two have felt quite epic and sweeping, lots of long moody shots. I think Boyle's film will be tighter and have a lot more energy, he's got a great style for that.

I also think he's going to approach it in a different way. I think the bank holiday Bond fan comment someone made a few pages back sums up Mendes. He wanted to take the image of Bond he had from his childhood where they popped up on ITV at Christmas and bank holidays (the Moore/Connery one) and deconstruct it, look at his childhood, where he came from. From Boyle's comments about the books and Bond's world, his film will be more concerned with the present and what Bond is doing now. Plus they're from two different worlds. Mendes is a posh Cambridge graduate, Boyle is a working class manc who turned down a knighthood. So I reckon we might get a film that's a lot more anti establishment than the very 'For Queen and Country' SF.

So different directing style, different views on Bond, different world view/background. I think it's really going to be a breath of fresh air.

I totally disagree but to each their own
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I don't have too many expectations for B25.

The trouble with TWINE and SP is that they tried to have it both ways. Emotional drama combined with traditional Bond formula. I don't think that works readily. It's not easy to pull off. Both films consequently give off distinct auteur vibes with tacked on (and poorly realized imho) action - action for the sake of it. Obvious fan service, and badly done at that. I hope not to see that ever again, least of all in B25.

Instead, I hope they decide to go 'all in' with Boyle's vision, just as they did with Mendes' SF. Build the film around that vision and ensure it's tonally consistent. Ensure that the characters, interactions and acting resonate. Furthermore, ensure that the dialogue is crisp and memorable.

I'd also rather they focus more on suspense rather than big spectacle action. It's been a while since we've had a tightly scripted, suspenseful Bond film, and I'm longing for one. Reading that they may be using digital cameras again makes me hopeful that we see some night photography in a large city (preferably European). Give me atmosphere that I can feel.

I'd be fine with one lavish set piece to open the film (either in the PTS or the post-titles sequence) and one to close it. I just hope they are memorable and showcase Bond's intelligence, rather than portraying him as just another action man idiot.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't have too many expectations for B25.

The trouble with TWINE and SP is that they tried to have it both ways. Emotional drama combined with traditional Bond formula. I don't think that works readily. It's not easy to pull off. Both films consequently give off distinct auteur vibes with tacked on (and poorly realized imho) action - action for the sake of it. Obvious fan service, and badly done at that. I hope not to see that ever again, least of all in B25.

Instead, I hope they decide to go 'all in' with Boyle's vision, just as they did with Mendes' SF. Build the film around that vision and ensure it's tonally consistent. Ensure that the characters, interactions and acting resonate. Furthermore, ensure that the dialogue is crisp and memorable.

I'd also rather they focus more on suspense rather than big spectacle action. It's been a while since we've had a tightly scripted, suspenseful Bond film, and I'm longing for one. Reading that they may be using digital cameras again makes me hopeful that we see some night photography in a large city (preferably European). Give me atmosphere that I can feel.

I'd be fine with one lavish set piece to open the film (either in the PTS or the post-titles sequence) and one to close it. I just hope they are memorable and showcase Bond's intelligence, rather than portraying him as just another action man idiot.

Absolutely cracking post, 100% agree.
    So let me get this right. Every rumour so far, other than the one concerning Boyle and Hodge working on B25 has proven to be false, is this right?
    bondsum wrote: »
    So let me get this right. Every rumour so far, other than the one concerning Boyle and Hodge working on B25 has proven to be false, is this right?

Considering both me and The Wiz King hate the Angelina Jolie rumor one would hope that this is the case for all rumors
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,157
    bondsum wrote: »

Every rumor by CashleyPersia was proven wrong, except for the Boyle and Hodge rumor which had previously reported by different sources. So yeah.
    You're not alone @Risico007. I'm not too thrilled by the Angelina Jolie rumour either, nor the rookie spy angle to boot.