No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Radioactive was the best way to describe Blofeld. No matter how much you could improve it, you can’t undo the stepbrother element. Boyle doesn’t need to start in the hole. Somewhere way down the road he can be reinvented. I hate the whole idea of people watching Blofeld now and going “oh wait that’s Bond’s brother right?”
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Radioactive was the best way to describe Blofeld. No matter how much you could improve it, you can’t undo the stepbrother element. Boyle doesn’t need to start in the hole. Somewhere way down the road he can be reinvented. I hate the whole idea of people watching Blofeld now and going “oh wait that’s Bond’s brother right?”

Yes. Boyle doesn't and won't start in the hole.

His idea is completely independent of the Mendes sequels BUT grounded in DC Bond's world-- or he would have no interest in coming on board (by his own admission). He came up with an idea that even he thought EoN wouldn't go for, but; they bought it, hook, line and sinker (even though they had financed the development of the P & W script, which they have since dropped).

This should be very exciting news for all Bond fans.
    Saying the producers bought it hook line sinker sounds like Boyle fooled them into thinking his script is great.

Saying the producers loved the script is better. lol
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    The only thing that would make me happier is a Fleming readaptaion, but I am very excited to have Boyle on board. It will be interesting what, if anything, he will be saying when interviewed now that he’s been confirmed... he’s very talkative and engaging so it should be a fun ride with him running the show too.

Don’t you think Craig was the one who bought Boyle though? EON are more in the business of making Craig happy.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 2018 Posts: 8,255
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Saying the producers bought it hook line sinker sounds like Boyle fooled them into thinking his script is great.

Saying the producers loved the script is better. lol

Yes, you're correct, @fjdinardo.... Better semantics next time....!

I suppose what we're hearing is exactly that: Boyle thought they wouldn't go for it-- and they did (no tricks included).
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    The only thing that would make me happier is a Fleming readaptaion, but I am very excited to have Boyle on board. It will be interesting what, if anything, he will be saying when interviewed now that he’s been confirmed... he’s very talkative and engaging so it should be a fun ride with him running the show too.

Don’t you think Craig was the one who bought Boyle though? EON are more in the business of making Craig happy.

I have a feeling, @DoctorNo, that there may be a re-imaging of Fleming in B25. No other reason than, before Bond was on Boyle's radar, he genuinely spoke gleefully of the Fleming stories (where, at the same time, Mendes worried me; he primarily only spoke of one-- film that is. Not Fleming at all, but LALD the film (from my re-collections)).

I also find it hard to believe that Boyle will be working with a 300 million dollar picture-- so something far more stripped back is in his comfort zone. Fleming has some amazing thrillers that are stripped back and rely on tension. Updating any of MR (and GE and DaD don't count since they go so far off plot with the tech-crap), TMWTGG, or any of his short stories would work well in the DC Bond universe.

Boyle is a bit of a maverick director. What we see in B25, I will bet, will be very unique to the Bond cannon-- and a fitting end to DC's tenure.

(much like OHMSS may be a fitting end to the Glory Days of the 60s-- although SC returned for one more)...

I think there was a published account, @DoctorNo, where Boyle approached DC about this idea, then they approached EoN (both not thinking they'd bite).... But, now we're on the road

• edited May 2018 Posts: 2,887
    bondjames wrote: »
    As you said, it's been done before in the superhero genre. Nolan and Ledger did that perfectly with The Joker. Jack who?

Well, before then Nicholson was competing against the memories of Cesar Romero. After 1989 it was "Cesar who?" and nearly two decades passed before the Joker reappeared onscreen.
    The detail for the scar on Blofeld's face and Nehru jacket may be telling. That kind of commitment to retake the character from the ridiculous (the last Austin Powers movie was 2002) could be a train that already left the station.

It was a badly designed wrong train as well. To reclaim a character you can't copy the campy trappings that smothered it decades earlier. You have to strip them off and go back to the core, basic qualities that made the character interesting in the first place and re-imagine them to meet modern standards.
    peter wrote: »
    I also find it hard to believe that Boyle will be working with a 300 million dollar picture-- so something far more stripped back is in his comfort zone...Boyle is a bit of a maverick director. What we see in B25, I will bet, will be very unique to the Bond cannon-- and a fitting end to DC's tenure.(much like OHMSS may be a fitting end to the Glory Days of the 60s...

I hope Boyle also views OHMSS as a model for how to make an exciting action film with a lesser budget, one that doesn't need costly hyper-spectacular setpieces to work. The action in OHMSS--a ski chase, a car chase, a bobsled chase, some fitsfights--sounds modest and unspectacular on paper but pops into life onscreen thanks to direction and editing that convey the visceral excitement within the action. It's far more exciting than staging the world's biggest explosion or other nonsense. I'm very pleased that Boyle knows his Fleming--I just hope he has a feel for action too, and that we won't end up with the old scenario of a middlebrow drama director delegating the action to second and third units and getting bland results.
    At the moment I feel guarded optimism.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Revelator wrote: »
    As you said, it's been done before in the superhero genre. Nolan and Ledger did that perfectly with The Joker. Jack who?

Well, before then Nicholson was competing against the memories of Cesar Romero. After 1989 it was "Cesar who?" and nearly two decades passed before the Joker reappeared onscreen.
    Yes, that's true. In both cases sufficient time passed before the character was reimagined and brought back to great effect with a standout performance.

Given we've had a lacklustre interpretation quite recently, I think they need to put him to rest for some time, and two decades seems about right.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Revelator wrote: »

The detail for the scar on Blofeld's face and Nehru jacket may be telling. That kind of commitment to retake the character from the ridiculous (the last Austin Powers movie was 2002) could be a train that already left the station.

It was a badly designed wrong train as well. To reclaim a character you can't copy the campy trappings that smothered it decades earlier. You have to strip them off and go back to the core, basic qualities that made the character interesting in the first place and re-imagine them to meet modern standards.
    peter wrote: »
    I also find it hard to believe that Boyle will be working with a 300 million dollar picture-- so something far more stripped back is in his comfort zone...Boyle is a bit of a maverick director. What we see in B25, I will bet, will be very unique to the Bond cannon-- and a fitting end to DC's tenure.(much like OHMSS may be a fitting end to the Glory Days of the 60s...

I hope Boyle also views OHMSS as a model for how to make an exciting action film with a lesser budget, one that doesn't need costly hyper-spectacular setpieces to work. The action in OHMSS--a ski chase, a car chase, a bobsled chase, some fitsfights--sounds modest and unspectacular on paper but pops into life onscreen thanks to direction and editing that convey the visceral excitement within the action. It's far more exciting than staging the world's biggest explosion or other nonsense. I'm very pleased that Boyle knows his Fleming--I just hope he has a feel for action too, and that we won't end up with the old scenario of a middlebrow drama director delegating the action to second and third units and getting bland results.
    At the moment I feel guarded optimism.

@RC7 called Mendes a Bank Holiday Monday Bond fan— I cant disagree. At no time, prior to Skyfall (and I do love this film), did I ever hear about his love of Bond.

Yet, over 20 years ago, Boyle’s TRAINSPOTTING makes reference to the 60s Bond films; he cast Bernard Lee’s grandson as a lead; he made the Bond/Queen Elizabeth short, and; he’s on record for his love of Fleming (years before he was hired, or even before he wanted to be hired!!).

I have a feeling we’re in for something very unique (but grounded in DC’s universe)
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I live in the United States which is a completely different timezone than the United Kingdom but I will get up extremely early to watch the press event for bond 25
    Any guesses on locations?
    I live in the United States which is a completely different timezone than the United Kingdom but I will get up extremely early to watch the press event for bond 25

Did that for Spectre. My family thought I was insane. But so worth it. Can't wait for December
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    bondbat007 wrote: »

Did that for Spectre. My family thought I was insane. But so worth it. Can't wait for December

Now I didn't do it for spectre kinda wish I did lol maybe we should now speculate when the press event will be given that the film starts shooting December 3
    I woke up ridiculously early to watch that event as well! I was especially stoked later that same day to learn Jesper Christensen was returning!!!
    Good times!!!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Good times!!!

That can return. Up to you.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    The press conference for SP was December 4, wasn't it?
    Maybe Bond will be retired at the start .

Please no. The retired/dismissed/going rogue routine is getting old.

Just give him a damn mission where he succeeds with flying colours. That would be a first for Craig.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The press conference for SP was December 4, wasn't it?

It was the 5th if I recall correctly.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    No, it was on the 4th.

Ok.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I wouldn't miss him if I never saw him again quite frankly. He's never been done real justice in the films and to some extent has been tainted on account of his most recent appearance, at least imho. Best to let him rest.

Give that man a jaffa cake. Totally agree old chap.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Maybe Bond will be retired at the start .

Please no. The retired/dismissed/going rogue routine is getting old.

Just give him a damn mission where he succeeds with flying colours. That would be a first for Craig.

THIS!!! All of this!
    I will be fascinated to learn what the budget for B25 will be. Probably less than half what SP had, I'd imagine.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Somewhere around $150m-$200m.
    Somewhere between 100 to 150 million is more likely if you ask me.
    That'd be too low for a Bond flick, in my opinion. But, you never know.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    oh god, i've just noticed that John Hodge co-scripted the abomination that was 'The Sweeney' remake.....
    oh god, i've just noticed that John Hodge co-scripted the abomination that was 'The Sweeney' remake.....
    I've never seen the film adaptation, so I'm guessing it's nowhere near worthy enough of the TV series?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I've never seen the film adaptation, so I'm guessing it's nowhere near worthy enough of the TV series?

You're lucky you've never seen it.

How the makers had the affront to even associate it with the TV series is quite beyond me.
    You're lucky you've never seen it.

How the makers had the affront to even associate it with the TV series is quite beyond me.
    Shame, really. Because now that I looked, it has some great cast members, including Ray Winstone, Hayley Atwell, Damien Lewis and Ed Skrein.

This is why projects like these should be well cooked and crafted before rushing into production.