No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    FINALLY!!!!! This has to be the best news I woke up to in a while!!!
    Playing devil's advocate a bit here but anyone have a clue why a franchise as popular and enduring as James Bond has to have a one picture distribution deal? Seems a bit short-termism as a business model. Why not secure a multi-film distribution deal with a studio. Surely MGM and EON will have to start this distribution 'search' all over again once Bond 26 goes into production. Just seems a weird way to run a franchise.
    Just heard this confirmation of Danny Boyle directing on the radio. If these script rumors are true, it’s hard to muster any excitement for the film, what with a supposed protege and a villain having yet another personal connection to Bond.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Bounine wrote: »
    Just heard this confirmation of Danny Boyle directing on the radio. If these script rumors are true, it’s hard to muster any excitement for the film, what with a supposed protege and a villain having yet another personal connection to Bond.
    Indeed.

I'm keeping my rock bottom expectations where they are and then hopefully they can only go up once I see the film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    the only thing I am sad about @RC7: there was a recently banned member who insisted anything being said (whether from people on this site, or in the media), was absolutely not happening: no Craig, no Boyle, all B.S. and no one knew what the hell they were talking about...
    Indeed.

I'm keeping my rock bottom expectations where they are and then hopefully they can only go up once I see the film.

Very wise. I’ve been too disappointed in the past.

The rumors about it being a light hearted film further hinders my excitement. Craig is better in darker Bond films.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,164
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate a bit here but anyone have a clue why a franchise as popular and enduring as James Bond has to have a one picture distribution deal? Seems a bit short-termism as a business model. Why not secure a multi-film distribution deal with a studio. Surely MGM and EON will have to start this distribution 'search' all over again once Bond 26 goes into production. Just seems a weird way to run a franchise.

Probably because of this being Craig's last, or...those rumours of EON selling their stake of the franchise off after this film. But if things works out for this they'll just renew the deal. It's evident EON wanted to get away from Sony, hence opening up the bidding war after SP as opposed to renewing the deal.
    P&W basically took John Logan's plot outline for SP and rewrote the entire thing, omitting the "controversial" bits and filling the gaps of uninspired content (Ironic, isn't it?), but introduced the Brofeld angle in return.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’m aware SP wasn’t their baby, but at the same time it was the most stale Bond outing we had gotten in a long time - if not ever. Not enough new, good ideas about it. From my understanding of the original script and what we got, there were both good and bad changes made.

The more I read these comments, the more a mess SP looks like, from the production side of things. What we got on screen wasn't really good, either, if you ask me (SP is currently ranked last on my list). We can only hope Bond 25 will be a smooth production in comparison.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Couple of questions:
    1. For someone who don't follow the whole studio thing, is 'Universal Pictures to partner on the worldwide release', as the statement says, the best solution, thinking about the other studios that might have got it instead?

The frontrunner for a long while was Warner Bros. By placing the Wonder Woman sequel directly in Bond's way they ruled themselves out, Universal was realistically the only option Sony aside (Fox is about to get acquired by Disney, Paramount and Disney didn't bid). What is interesting however is the fact that it's MGM self distributing via their Annapurna venture in the US. One would think that for a huge tentpole like this they'd want a single studio to handle global marketing and distribution but given Bond' MGM association does make sense for them to try use B25 as part of their comeback to distribution. I'm guessing it will be a joint effort between the marketing bosses at Annapurna/MGM and Universal to coordinate everything and make sure everyone's on the same page with regards to the content. So more coordination will be required as there are more parties to please here.

Thanks, that's an interesting read. Guess it looks like a reasonable way of doing the marketing and distribution. Know next to nothing about Annapurna; hopefully their involvement won't be a negative one.

If anything it's a positive. They've got a great rep in the indie world, they are still only building their distribution network in the US but the fact that they're essentially being MGM's new distribution backend is interesting. But I'm sure it'll be all good. Coming from an indie background means they are willing to take more risks and be more inventive marketing wise, working with Universal means they have more global scale with the campaign.

A couple facts I forgot to mention, obviously Universal is already working with Boyle on the Beatles musical (and I wouldn't be surprised if Boyle did weigh in on this, makes the whole PR aspect for him a lot easier if same team manages both the films he's got coming out within a month and a bit of each other), and the Sony marketing execs who worked on the previous Craig films are now at Annapurna.

Bounine - times have moved on. If some fans want major changes to Bond - the type of storylines we see - we need Barbara Broccoli to step down. I think the emotional backstory storylines stem from her. While she has ultimate control over plot I can't see a non-personal plot. The days of Roger Moore/Sean Connery type Bond plots - Bond without any backstory or "don't make it personal!" subplots - are long gone.

Perhaps the next Bond actor will bring something new, perhaps his casting will make B Broccoli and the writers reassess things but I doubt it. The more emotionally charged Bond is popular with the audience so why change it?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Indeed.

Very wise. I’ve been too disappointed in the past.

The rumors about it being a light hearted film further hinders my excitement. Craig is better in darker Bond films.
    I am praying to God, Allah, Bhudda and the Flying Spaghetti Monster that this female protege idea isn't true. Absolutely dismal idea but one which sounds like it probably is true due to the pressure for them to deliver a #metoo friendly Bond film.
    My guess: if MGM find a buyer or are taken over by another studio then they won't need to go into partnership with the likes of Sony or Universal again, considering that the new owner will handle this side of the business in future. For instance, if Disney are successful in buying up MGM before B26 goes into production then they're not going to want Universal involved.
    bondsum wrote: »
    My guess: if MGM find a buyer or are taken over by another studio then they won't need to go into partnership with the likes of Sony or Universal again, considering that the new owner will handle this side of the business in future. For instance, if Disney are successful in buying up MGM before B26 goes into production then they're not going to want Universal involved.

Completely forgot about the MGM sale aspect
    Great news to wake up to today!

Some really interesting nuggets of information.

Firstly, Boyle and Hodge are signed on officially. Interestingly, I thought Hodge may have been working off the P&W script. However, that is clearly not the case. I also suspected that Eon may announce a second writer on the film. This would be the first time since the TND that a sole writer has been credited for a Bond film.

Also the announcement of an actual production start date is very intriguing and slightly unusual. But it means that Bond 25 has 6 months of pre-production before principal photography.

I never thought that Eon would go for Universal (they were never front-runners at any stage). But it makes heaps of sense in context. Clearly, Eon have listened to Danny Boyle who has a very strong relationship with Universal. Both Steve Jobs and the Beatles musical are Universal films. Clearly Boyle feels comfortable there.

I'm not a huge fan of their logo (I'd grown very accustomed to the Columbia lady)

I love Annapurna's more edgy logo though

Will international audiences still get the Annapurna logo alongside the MGM and Universal logos?

Also Universal has some big properties and Bond fits comfortably with them. None are big Marvel/Star Wars/DC titles that would overwhelm Bond.

Jurassic World
    The Fast and Furious films
    Despicable Me
    The Secret Life of Pets
    Pacific Rim
    Fifity Shades of Grey
    Insidous
    The Bourne films

They also have big Oscar and prestige clout:

Darkest Hour
    Get Out
    Phantom Thread
    The Post
    Hail, Caesar!

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    When they say that production is starting on 3 December, do they mean principal photography or the press announcement?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I doubt they are. So far everything CashleyPersia reported was fake (he said Nolan would direct and Craig wouldn't return and recently affirmed Warner would distribute) or reported by someone else before he did (he said Boyle would direct after other tabloids/websites reported so).

There is no reason to believe the understudy and villain-with-personal-connection are true.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    When they say that production is starting on 3 December, do they mean principal photography or the press announcement?

Principal photography-- first day of shooting: Dec 3.
  • RC7RC7
    “Let the mayhem begin”.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Walecs wrote: »

I doubt they are. So far everything CashleyPersia reported was fake (he said Nolan would direct and Craig wouldn't return and recently affirmed Warner would distribute) or reported by someone else before he did (he said Boyle would direct after other tabloids/websites reported so).

There is no reason to believe the understudy and villain-with-personal-connection are true.

I wouldn't outright dismiss Cashley-- he's got a lot right too. He has been clear that the info he's picking up is industry chatter, so he can't give anything an official guarantee. He's passing on what he's been hearing. And he does sound like he does work in the film industry in some capacity.
    If Universal are involved then that's brilliant,and should get things moving !!

Also,staff members in my office here have seen the Danny Boyle news on the BBC News website and have reacted very positively indeed !
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,884
    peter wrote: »

So that means that the announcement(s) will be the week before, since the 3rd is a Monday.

SPECTRE's was on a Thursday IIRC.. B25's presumably on 29 November then?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I have no idea when they’d roll out the cast to present to the media.
    Well everyone can start breathing again. It was getting quite edgy coming on this thread.
    Confirmed dates are great news. I agree I'll miss the Columbia lady..but we are off and running.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 512

So that means that the announcement(s) will be the week before, since the 3rd is a Monday.

Why not on Monday? The pressconference will be on mondaymorning, I guess. Then in the afternoon they start shooting. With Skyfall they also started principal photography on the same day as the press conference.
    Monday is a regular working day, that means more press will be able to attend the conference.
    Finally we have some news!!!! We are all set to go baby. 2019 is set and stone baring something bad happening. Now we just wait to hear the casting rumors
    I was unbelievably happy to wake up to that official tweet!
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2018 Posts: 10,512

SP was Friday 5th December. Principal photography commenced on Monday 8th. Wouldn’t be surprised if the conference follows the same pattern and takes place on Friday Nov 30.

Scrub that, it was the Thursday actually. I got married on the Saturday and for some reason I always think it was the day before.
    Ive probably asked this question before but is Boyle a fan of James Bond? I ask because a Bond director must always know their bond history. Thats a must for me.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »

I wouldn't outright dismiss Cashley-- he's got a lot right too. He has been clear that the info he's picking up is industry chatter, so he can't give anything an official guarantee. He's passing on what he's been hearing. And he does sound like he does work in the film industry in some capacity.

Yet so far he only confirmed what other source had reported before him. Therefore his word is as good as mine and yours.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Ive probably asked this question before but is Boyle a fan of James Bond? I ask because a Bond director must always know their bond history. Thats a must for me.

He read Fleming in his teens and always praised the books in interviews.
    So in short, yes. I'm sure he knows what this franchise is about.
    I think he will want to channel his inner adolecent fanboy in this movie.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    A bigger one than Mendes was by all accounts. Boyle has gone on record as saying he has read all the Fleming books multiple times and was a huge fan of the movies. Of course that doesn't necessarily translate to him making the perfect Bond movie, but it's certainly comforting to know that at least it's a past and present passion of his.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Fantastic news. I hope many worries are being put to rest right now.