No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    As far as I know, whenever you're officially hired, you get paid for the project. So, my guess is yes, P&W were paid.
    I wonder how much of their script is going to be used, if any. Maybe they will use some ideas they liked from it? In any case, I bet P&W’s script and Hodge’s are radically different.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Walecs wrote: »
    CashleyPersia recently said Warner would distribute. Thank God he was wrong (like I've been saying for months), meaning the Bond's understudy stuff he talked about won't happen either.
    I sincerely hope so.

+1 I have much higher hopes for the film if this is indeed out the window.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Can someone give me a TL;DR version of distribution vs. production?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Time to crack open the champagne.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Allow me to celebrate with my happy dance!
    IdealMerryIslandcanary-max-1mb.gif
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    To anyone with a clearer understanding of the release schedules of previous Bond films; is there an idea of when we might be able to expect a title?
    To anyone with a clearer understanding of the release schedules of previous Bond films; is there an idea of when we might be able to expect a title?

Start of production in December. Usually a big press event with the title, full cast and crew. We'll get rumors from here until then but everything will be confirmed then

For official announcement, my bet is on November.

They are still going for a big gap between UK and US release. I don't think that helped last time.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    bondbat007 wrote: »

Start of production in December. Usually a big press event with the title, full cast and crew. We'll get rumors from here until then but everything will be confirmed then

Oh yeah, I remember with Spectre they started filming like the day after or something. Thanks guys!
    As far as I know, whenever you're officially hired, you get paid for the project. So, my guess is yes, P&W were paid.

The Boyle/Hodge effort must really have been something for EON to drop the scriptwriters they had officially signed on.

As @FoxRox writes, it makes you wonder if anything Purvis and Wade might have come up with will be used or not. Will also be interesting to see if we - at some point, will hear what their idea was. Especially if the Boyle/Hodge film doesn't turn out to be as good as we all hope it will be.
    vzok wrote: »

They are still going for a big gap between UK and US release. I don't think that helped last time.

No. And as an American, I totally get and understand why you'd want it to release early in the UK. But as a fan, even by staying off the internet, spoilers always made their way here before release. I wish they'd pull an Infinity War and do a global release so everyone can enjoy it at the same time together

The Boyle/Hodge effort must really have been something for EON to drop the scriptwriters they had officially signed on.

As @FoxRox writes, it makes you wonder if anything Purvis and Wade might have come up with will be used or not. Will also be interesting to see if we - at some point, will hear what their idea was. Especially if the Boyle/Hodge film doesn't turn out to be as good as we all hope it will be.

True. Does make us wonder. As things were with SP though, I’d much rather take my chances on the fresh blood we have coming versus another P&W effort. No disrespect to P&W, but it became clear with SP they were running out of gas.
    FoxRox wrote: »

True. Does make us wonder. As things were with SP though, I’d much rather take my chances on the fresh blood we have coming versus another P&W effort. No disrespect to P&W, but it became clear with SP they were running out of gas.

Don't forget that SP was not their baby. According to multiple leaks, they "saved" SP from being much worse. But I agree, fresh blood is great for Craig's final outing
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for new blood. It's just the whole process of how the new blood came to end up with the gig that puzzles me. There are probably more examples of this in the past than I can think of, though.
    bondbat007 wrote: »

Don't forget that SP was not their baby. According to multiple leaks, they "saved" SP from being much worse. But I agree, fresh blood is great for Craig's final outing

Have we heard to what extent they saved that script? How bad could it have been?
    (if it's been commented upon, and covered in a different thread, just let me know! :-) )
    P&W basically took John Logan's plot outline for SP and rewrote the entire thing, omitting the "controversial" bits and filling the gaps of uninspired content (Ironic, isn't it?), but introduced the Brofeld angle in return.
    I’m aware SP wasn’t their baby, but at the same time it was the most stale Bond outing we had gotten in a long time - if not ever. Not enough new, good ideas about it. From my understanding of the original script and what we got, there were both good and bad changes made.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    This is good. At least we won't have to put up with anymore wacky conspiracy theories about Craig being replaced even though he confirmed that he was returning on the Colbert show.

Looking forward to finding out the new title and the plot. Let's hope Cashleypersia is wrong again like he was about naming the correct distributor. Just to clarrify, I'm not calling Cashley a liar. He might actually have someone close to Eon that's feeding him disinformation for various reasons. One of them being to test peoples' reactions to certain ideas and another to keep the media talking about Bond when there's nothing to discuss. For all we know the rookie MI6 agent might be the P&W subplot that they leaked to find out how that would go down and reconfirm their belief in Hodge's script being the way to go. Outside of Eon, who possibly knows?
    I wonder how much of their script is going to be used, if any. Maybe they will use some ideas they liked from it? In any case, I bet P&W’s script and Hodge’s are radically different.

If they used stuff from it P&W would still be credited....not sure on WGA specifics on how much but currently seems like this is completely Boyoe/Hodge's own idea
    Couple of questions:
    1. For someone who don't follow the whole studio thing, is 'Universal Pictures to partner on the worldwide release', as the statement says, the best solution, thinking about the other studios that might have got it instead?

The frontrunner for a long while was Warner Bros. By placing the Wonder Woman sequel directly in Bond's way they ruled themselves out, Universal was realistically the only option Sony aside (Fox is about to get acquired by Disney, Paramount and Disney didn't bid). What is interesting however is the fact that it's MGM self distributing via their Annapurna venture in the US. One would think that for a huge tentpole like this they'd want a single studio to handle global marketing and distribution but given Bond' MGM association does make sense for them to try use B25 as part of their comeback to distribution. I'm guessing it will be a joint effort between the marketing bosses at Annapurna/MGM and Universal to coordinate everything and make sure everyone's on the same page with regards to the content. So more coordination will be required as there are more parties to please here.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2018 Posts: 4,416
    Universal release Spectre in the Dutch cinema, but Fox stil did BD/DVD.

But comment about Die Another Day it look like it wil be MGM/Universal movie like MGM/Fox then. Sony release DAD in America and that will Annapurna now. DVD was done by Fox.

Universal possible mean return of ''Decca'' for the soundtrack. There did Spectre and some Universal movies. Will title singer from Universal too.

Overall i think movie promotion of solo Universal like Jurassic World are good and not have much complanes as Paramount/Universal and Mission Impossible 6. Soundtrack is thing what give moost doubt in choose for Universal, that we don't get a soundtrack. The soundtracks of mi5 and Jurassic World look like les inportent for them. I think Bond buld enough trust for them and Universal wil ask Decca.

Logo of Universal i expect wil be short version with minimum or no music. Playing with logo like there did with The thirth Mummy there can better keep for trailers. Or the logo must explode (what in my opnion works with the story) and turn in to maintile and will be second Bond movie after Dr no with no pretitle and again no gunbarrel. Stil can end titles with open light, the missing light of Spectre gunbarrel who in my opnion is left behind in maintiles of QOS.

So far, it sound very good.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    P&W basically took John Logan's plot outline for SP and rewrote the entire thing, omitting the "controversial" bits and filling the gaps of uninspired content (Ironic, isn't it?), but introduced the Brofeld angle in return.

According to the leaks the brother angle was in Logan's scripts, though it did not initially feature Blofeld. Logan (and Mendes) wanted to use him, though, and that's why EON bought the rights back (though I'm pretty sure they eventually would have bought them anyway).

According to the leaks the brother angle was in Logan's scripts, though it did not initially feature Blofeld. Logan (and Mendes) wanted to use him, though, and that's why EON bought the rights back (though I'm pretty sure they eventually would have bought them anyway).
    Not sure if I recall that, then again I can't be sure if my memory serves me right. However, Logan's original concept of Blofeld had him being an African warlord. Then, apparently and very briefly, a female... interpretation of the character was also briefly discussed and dismissed.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241
    I’m aware SP wasn’t their baby, but at the same time it was the most stale Bond outing we had gotten in a long time - if not ever. Not enough new, good ideas about it. From my understanding of the original script and what we got, there were both good and bad changes made.

The more I read these comments, the more a mess SP looks like, from the production side of things. What we got on screen wasn't really good, either, if you ask me (SP is currently ranked last on my list). We can only hope Bond 25 will be a smooth production in comparison.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Couple of questions:
    1. For someone who don't follow the whole studio thing, is 'Universal Pictures to partner on the worldwide release', as the statement says, the best solution, thinking about the other studios that might have got it instead?

The frontrunner for a long while was Warner Bros. By placing the Wonder Woman sequel directly in Bond's way they ruled themselves out, Universal was realistically the only option Sony aside (Fox is about to get acquired by Disney, Paramount and Disney didn't bid). What is interesting however is the fact that it's MGM self distributing via their Annapurna venture in the US. One would think that for a huge tentpole like this they'd want a single studio to handle global marketing and distribution but given Bond' MGM association does make sense for them to try use B25 as part of their comeback to distribution. I'm guessing it will be a joint effort between the marketing bosses at Annapurna/MGM and Universal to coordinate everything and make sure everyone's on the same page with regards to the content. So more coordination will be required as there are more parties to please here.

Thanks, that's an interesting read. Guess it looks like a reasonable way of doing the marketing and distribution. Know next to nothing about Annapurna; hopefully their involvement won't be a negative one.
    It would be unlikely for Bond 25 to be a bigger mess than SP.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Not sure if I recall that, then again I can't be sure if my memory serves me right. However, Logan's original concept of Blofeld had him being an African warlord. Then, apparently and very briefly, a female... interpretation of the character was also briefly discussed and dismissed.

I think you're right. I'm looking at this and it is actually unclear who and when they came up with the brother angle. But you're right in saying Logan initially wanted Blofeld to be an African warlord.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    It would be unlikely for Bond 25 to be a bigger mess than SP.

They could have stuck with P&W and Mendes if they were going for that.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    Well that’s great news to wake up to! Can we please now put to rest any idea that Craig isn’t coming back?

Roll on October 2019!