Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Seems like a generic blanket statement; I applaud stunt people for their work. Just look at the Bond series; takes some massive balls of steel to attach yourself to a moving aircraft with little-to-no support, wires or not. I'd applaud the same M:I stunts even if it was a random stuntman behind them.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Seems like a generic blanket statement; I applaud stunt people for their work. Just look at the Bond series; takes some massive balls of steel to attach yourself to a moving aircraft with little-to-no support, wires or not. I'd applaud the same M:I stunts even if it was a random stuntman behind them.

You wouldn't even hear about the stunt if they were random, and it wouldn't be talked about, like I said in my blanket statement.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,686
    Creasy47 wrote: »

You wouldn't even hear about the stunt if they were random, and it wouldn't be talked about, like I said in my blanket statement.

Yet we've been hearing about stunts like ski jump in TSWLM and the car roll jump in TMWTGG for over 40 years now.

Yeah that's just a blatantly false statement. Speak for yourself, but stunts/stuntmen are never discussed? Factually untrue. Stuntmen may not be as renown as actors are (unless it's a mixture, such as Jackie Chan or Tom Cruise), but their craft is widely appreciated by many, myself included.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241

Yeah that's just a blatantly false statement. Speak for yourself, but stunts/stuntmen are never discussed? Factually untrue. Stuntmen may not be as renown as actors are (unless it's a mixture, such as Jackie Chan or Tom Cruise), but their craft is widely appreciated by many, myself included.

Indeed.
    The two stunts mentioned by @DaltonCraig007 above are prime examples of talked-about stunts. Is there a stunt thread on the forum?

Oh absolutely. I'll be drooling over that stunt work for months.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,241

Oh absolutely. I'll be drooling over that stunt work for months.

Me too!
    I do hope we get some memorable stunts in Bond 25. SP lacked a bit in that department (and in my opinion, the other departments, as well).
  • I'm glad I've got you interested in a professional field that usually goes ignored.
    You haven't - at least for me anyway. I've been interested since I was a kid, watching the GE dam jump unfold in front of my eyes for the first time.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    You haven't - at least for me anyway. I've been interested since I was a kid, watching the GE dam jump unfold in front of my eyes for the first time.

OHHH yeah. I was completely impressed.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I'm glad I've got you interested in a professional field that usually goes ignored.
    I think it probably goes a little unnoticed by the current generation of moviegoers as they tend to see everything as CGI nowadays. In some cases they're right. But for the older movie fan, they'll be fully aware of great stunt people, past and present, who have contributed so much to the movie-making process. One only has to look at the silent era with the likes of Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd to see amazing stunts performed by the actual actors themselves. Then, of course, there was Jean-Paul Belmondo, a French actor initially associated with the New Wave of the 1960s, who started doing all his own stuntwork. Outside of the silent era, he was the first actor I became aware of who was doing all his own stunts. Steve McQueen wanted to do his own in the Great Escape but was told he wouldn't be allowed to do the actual border jump scene for insurance purposes.

As for actual stuntmen there was William Hickman, an American professional stunt driver who was recognised for his excellent work in Bullitt, The French Connection and The Seven-Ups. Of course there was Hal Needham, who became a director of the incredibly popular Burt Reynold's movies in the 70s. The list goes on and on and on. You see, like @Creasy47 said, a lot of us are already aware of their great contribution, which is why we salivate when a movie like MI: Fallout comes out. Sure, some of it is going to be a combination of CGI, but some things you just can't fake without it looking like something out of DAD or less noticeably QoS's parachute scene. Either way, I'd say the majority of us here are fully aware of the "real stunts" performed by genuine stuntmen and the names of these great people.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,599
    Surely, the key thing with stunt men (and woman) is that the audience can empathise with them. They dont need to know about them or their name, They just need to know that a human has done that and they can imagine how scared they would be if they had to do it etc etc. The PTS stunt in TSWLM is the perfect example. 99.99% of the audeince know nothing of the guy who perfomed the stunt and 99% know it was not RM. But it has become a highlight within the whole series. It's literally breath taking. Can you imagine if it was CGI? WOuld it even be worth doing? Zero impact.

To then add that the stunt is performed by the leading man. Someone they do know about and cheer for etc. It adds a whole new level of excitement. The fact that the marketing guys at MI make such a big thing of this is proof. I think to shrug one's shoulders and say "so what" is perhaps a little churlish (Cruise has to perform these stunts in addition to all of the other demands on him) but everyone obviously has the right to their own view.
    If you're talking about the average moviegoer then you're right, they most likely won't know anything about the stuntwork or stuntmen involved in a movie @patb. If you're talking about a "film buff" then they would know these details. As you quite rightly pointed out, the marketing guys on MI wouldn't make such a big thing of Cruise (and Cavill) doing these stunts if it didn't generate publicity and more ticket sales.
    My biggest respect goes to the crane driver. I could imagine it´s not that easy to swing a person through those trees without smashing them against one :-)).

boldfinger wrote: »
    My biggest respect goes to the crane driver. I could imagine it´s not that easy to swing a person through those trees without smashing them against one :-)).

That's actually a good point! Good work by the crane driver.
    k7mCQfWf9PJMGQST9b28od-650-80.jpg
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,185
    It looks like he is going full Jacky in this movie. Including broken bones already.
    But then Jacky never flew a helicopter by himself. He wasn't THAT crazy lol.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    mission_impossible_fallout_ver14.jpg
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    yes, let’s bankroll Tom Cruise so he can continue to fund his Scientology exploits.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    How many aircraft can Tom Cruise hang from?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    How many aircraft can Tom Cruise hang from?
    Apparently, he split in two and hung up on himself, first, for the next film.

mwcmmHc.jpg

I guess Scientology does weird things to a man alright!
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,160
    f3InvYX.jpg
    Chris McQuarrie‘s Mission: Impossible — Fallout (Paramount, 7.27) was research-screened last night in Las Vegas. A movie hound I’ve heard from loved it for the most part. His estimations of how long this or that scene lasts are to be taken with a grain of salt as he probably wasn’t using a stop-watch.

“The action is incredible,” he enthused. “The car/motorcycle chase through Paris lasts a good 20-plus minutes. The fight in the bathroom runs about 10 minutes. The helicopter chase at the end is a good 20 minutes. There are a lot of moving parts but it all moves so quickly and fluidly.

“There’s clearly a LOT of work yet to be done for a film that’s coming out in eight weeks. I’ll be excited to see it again. The music wasn’t finished so a majority of the fight scenes or chases weren’t scored — nothing but the sounds of roaring, screeching cars, and that was so amazing. I hope they keep it like that.

“And the cast — Tom Cruise, Rebecca Ferguson, Henry Cavill, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, Michelle Monaghan, Alec Baldwin, Sean Harris, Wes Bentley, Angela Bassett — is so perfect. Even if I had some qualms about where certain characters’ allegiance truly lies at the end, it really doesn’t matter a whole lot.

“I’d 100% see it in a theater if I were you. It’s gorgeous. It’s loud. It’s fun.

“Vanessa Kirby is only in a few scenes, but she was the standout for me. The woman just oozes sexuality.

“Tell your friends Chris McQuarrie and J.J. Abrams to trust the audience a little more and rely less on five-minute-long dialogue scenes of exposition that explain every part of every plan. Then again better to make things crystal clear than to obscure the narrative, I suppose.”

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2018/05/what-happens-in-vegas-doesnt-stay-there/
    Meanwhile, Tom Cruise has confirmed via his Instagram that production on Top Gun: Maverick has started.

32541007_214589685999810_8705151449107005440_n.jpg
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    The Mission Impossible series is excellent. It hasn't been plain sailing either - the first one ran into production disagreements, the second was pretty rubbish with a compromised vision, the third was solid (also ran into script issues) but from Ghost Protocol onwards they have really nailed it. Bond series can certainly learn a bit from how they've navigated the peaks and troughs of the series. Mission Impossible is doing the magic stunts that the Bond series was doing in the 70s. I think M:I series has proven there is a hunger for the outlandish mixed with the practical effects and stunts. Really looking forward to Fallout.
    Guess that means I need to finally get around to watching the original Top Gun. Is Val Kilmer still set to appear? Curious how they'll handle it, given the changes he's gone through with his throat cancer surgery(ies).
    Guess that means I need to finally get around to watching the original Top Gun. Is Val Kilmer still set to appear? Curious how they'll handle it, given the changes he's gone through with his throat cancer surgery(ies).
    If Iceman isn´t in physical shape he could fly a drone from his living room :-)).

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!