Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

• edited May 2018 Posts: 15,785
    The legendary Roddy McDowell as Peter Vincent- later in his career. It's a pity the remake could n't have used this concept of an aging horror movie hero. Times have changed, and there simply aren't any horror actors left along the lines of Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, John Carradine or Vincent Price.
    Roddy McDowell looks great here, a bit like Cushing in DRACULA A.D. 1972.
    Sarandon's vampire eats fruit.
    He is given some holy water and told it's actually tap water to prove young Ragsdale wrong about his belief in vampirism.
    I like how Ragsdale is wearing a tweed sports-jacket for this meeting. Today you'd never see a teen dressed more is less like Harry Callahan.

Sarandon is sporting a very '80's designer sweater.
    I should get a copy of THE PRINCESS BRIDE as I'm a pretty big fan of Chris. Great actor.
    He holds the "holy water" to the fireplace. Not sure if he's checking to see that it's tap water, or if the fire de-blesses the water. That bit's always been confusing.
    My girlfriend doesn't care for this film too much. More into THE LOST BOYS. I like both films. The Evil Ed character here, she finds too obnoxious. I think he's hilarious.

Sarandon pursues then pretty much seduces/vampire-izes Evil Ed in an alley.
    Nightclub dance scene- possibly my favorite section of FRIGHT NIGHT.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    FRIGHT NIGHT, my favorite vampire film and one of my favorite films of the 80s. Chris Sarandon, the amazing music, Evil Ed, Marcy d'Arcy while she was still cute, and the overall vibe are just great. I just love it. Even the intentional cheesiness.

Me and my best friend(more like my brother) used to watch this, Lost Boys, John Wayne films, Scarface, Dr. No, and Licence To Kill all the time. Good times. We'll have to watch it again when he gets outta prison. Lol long story.
    Remington wrote: »
    FRIGHT NIGHT, my favorite vampire film and one of my favorite films of the 80s. Chris Sarandon, the amazing music, Evil Ed, Marcy d'Arcy while she was still cute, and the overall vibe are just great. I just love it. Even the intentional cheesiness.

Me and my best friend(more like my brother) used to watch this, Lost Boys, John Wayne films, Scarface, Dr. No, and Licence To Kill all the time. Good times. We'll have to watch it again when he gets outta prison. Lol long story.

I had a friend I used to watch FRIGHT NIGHT with a lot too, back when I was a kid.
    Some great memories.
    The music is quite memorable, especially the nightclub scene.

"You shouldn't lose your temper, Charley. It isn't polite."
    The bouncer Sarandon slashes was in FRIDAY THE 13th 3-D.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I had a friend I used to watch FRIGHT NIGHT with a lot too, back when I was a kid.
    Some great memories.

Don't forget "Come to Me". Beautiful song.

Some great memories.

Don't forget "Come to Me". Beautiful song.

Absolutely. Great piece of music there. I wonder if the soundtrack is easily available? I should check ebay.
    Nice painting of John Carradine's Count Dracula on McDowell's wall.

I don't think I ever caught that. May have to watch this tomorrow night.

I don't think I ever caught that. May have to watch this tomorrow night.

When Brewster goes to Vincent's home to convince him to help save Amy, you can see it.

Come to Me playing now.

Now he bites Amanda Bearse.
    The climactic battle.

McDowell's costume is amazing. Peter Cushing would be proud. I wonder if Cushing ever saw this film?
    WELCOME TO FRIGHT NIGHT!

For real.
    Fun film. I'll finish this off and then probably hit the hay.

Some night soon I may stay up very late watching some classic horror like in the old days. We're due for some rain and possibly thunder this weekend. Might be a good time for that.

Until then..........................
    Time for some B-movie noir.......................from 1950......................

starring an unlikely noir actor Mickey Rooney.............

QUICKSAND
    Mickey is having lunch with his buddies. He's playing a mechanic here.

I just watched another noir in which Rooney plays a mechanic.........DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD. That was an excellent noir, IMO.

This one is pretty good too. Much more of a B movie this is.

In true Andy Hardy style Rooney is falling in love at first sight .
    Jeanne Cagney is Rooney's love interest. I wonder how Jimmy Cagney felt about this?
    In DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD Rooney's haircut reminded me of Craig's in SKYFALL. Here's it's a bit like QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

He must have been trying to get away from his Andy Hardy image.

Yes. I just compared Mickey Rooney to Daniel Craig.
    QUICKSAND is a United Artists gem. The company responsible for the Mike Hammer films of the '50's.

This copy is a cheap public domain DVD.

I love it!!!!!
    Rooney is wearing a very cool looking leather bomber jacket with fur collar.

Bogie had one in TOKYO JOE.

My Dad found one at a yard sale about a year ago.
    I'm kind of jealous of it. It's pretty cool.

Common theme in noir: protagonist falls for a femme fatale who gets him involved in a crime. At a pivotal point he must choice his path and follows his hormones instead of his better judgment.

His life is ruined and he may very well end up killed in the end.

Spoiler here: Rooney lives but goes to prison.
    Here they are at an arcade of sorts.

PETER LORRE!!!!!
    Rooney is making out with James Cagney's sister in a photo-booth.....

and interrupted by the villainous Lorre.
    So many variables on what constitutes a film noir. I had a friend to dismissed many of the Humphrey Bogart classics as noir : THE MALTESE FALCON, THE BIG SLEEP, etc because they were shot on the Warner Bros. lot.

This film is most certainly shot on location.
    Rooney just bought a $100 watch and pawned it for $30 to cover some cash he took from the car garage register.

Money he stole to date James Cagney's sister.