Conan The Barbarian (1982 - present) - Possible series at Amazon

13»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Negro vampires.

I've asked you to refer to me by my real name, Blackula.

Awkward-2.gif
    Who would be a decent Conan?
    9cfab3f8dc4a4381bedcf500289b32ba.jpg

Maybe Danzig?
    10b552db05dfd96c18bb3a78c56689a0--search-instagram-danzig-misfits.jpg
    Althogh he is going more for a Wolverine look.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It seems like you could cast him for any role where you need a gigantic guy, but the Rock would be interesting. He's really in a league of his own when it comes to this sort of thing.

Dave Bautista would actually be interesting as well.
    I would take Johnson over Bautista for Conan.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    It looks like The Legend of Conan movie, starring Arnold as King Conan, might be cancelled. Now a series could be in production at Amazon.
    http://tvline.com/2018/02/05/conan-the-barbarian-tv-series-amazon-reboot/
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    The documentary is awesome for John Milius' involvement of port in so many well-known classic films
    and no less for his stroke and somewhat recovery shown.
    81P3vhNK2CL._SY679_.jpg
    Great documentary on Milius. I just want to see his Genghis Khan movie so bad. Such a shame he suffered a debilitating stroke. It was interesting to hear that Connery only agreed to take part in Hunt for Red October if Milius rewrote his lines. One of the industry's true mavericks that just didn't fit into left-wing Hollywood. Without Milius involved in Conan, I'm just not that interested. This is coming from someone who saw Conan the Barbarian in the cinema in '82 because I was aware of Milius.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I was following Milius' films at the time and my brother was a Robert E. Howard fan of the novels, so in 1982 we drove to the next county to see it at first opportunity in Oneonta, New York. We loved it, a nice experience. Sound and vision.

The ideal is Milius and Arnold. But I'd see either an Arnold film or an Amazon series production. And in the second case, they're doing great stuff in that venue. It can do justice to Milius at long last.

atlantean_sword__conan_the_barbarian__by_hybrid55555-d9a1hlp.png
    Good to see someone else who appreciates John Milius @RichardTheBruce.

Having watched that documentary, Milius states that the original idea was for him to make 3 Conan movies. Sadly, the second less-violent, somewhat disappointing Conan the Destroyer was instead directed by Richard Fleischer, who some might say had a pretty good reputation with the old The Vikings (1958) movie. It was the writing by Stanley Mann instead of Milius that killed the franchise off though. I don't know what the real reasons were for Milius not making Conan the Destroyer other than him being tied up with the rewriting of Red Dawn from someone else's script? Doesn't make that much sense.

Either way, I can't see Milius ever being involved with Conan again. He's still recovering from a very debilitating heart attack and his passion is now getting Genghis Khan made.

PS. Another thing I didn't realise was that it was Milius that rewrote the famous Robert Shaw Indianapolis speech scene, which he dictated over the phone to Spielberg. Shaw loved the speech that Milius rewrote in Jaws but said it was too many lines to remember, so cut it down in half by his own editorship skills, and delivered the one that's in the movie. Goddamn, that man knew how to write good dialogue. "But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world..." and " I love the smell of napalm in the morning" plus "Charlie don't surf" are just some of his other great bits of dialogue ingrained in the public consciousness that he penned.
    Just for those that haven't seen it, here's Conan the Barbarian 1982: From the Vault.

I notice that after reading some of the comments from certain Youtube bozos that some complain that the first movie wasn't faithful to the source material. They then go on to say read the comic book first!! This made me laugh as Robert E. Howard didn't write them for a comic but as pulp-fiction. They were of course first published in Weird Tales magazine in the 30s. It was only after Howard's death, that the copyright of the Conan stories passed through several hands. Eventually, under the guidance of L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, the stories were edited, revised, and sometimes completely rewritten. I mean, I'm no Conan purist, but it seems that a whole slew of different writers have taken what Robert E. Howard first wrote and altered it in some way. Had Oliver Stone's first screenplay been used then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been any closer to Robert E. Howard's original vision than Milius's, it would've been Stone's drug-fuelled take on it and possibly much less violent. I think the revised visual image of Conan came from Frank Frazetta in 1967?

The score was excellent for this movie.

The score was excellent for this movie.

One of my favourite scores. Must say the film looks and sounds great on blu ray. Such a shame what happened to director John Milius!
    He did a great job here!
    I think it would work better as a TV series than movies actually. Given that the quality of Game of Thrones has gone down dramatically in the last few seasons, I'd welcome a quality sword and sorcery or medieval fantasy series.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Good to see someone else who appreciates John Milius @RichardTheBruce.

Having watched that documentary, Milius states that the original idea was for him to make 3 Conan movies. Sadly, the second less-violent, somewhat disappointing Conan the Destroyer was instead directed by Richard Fleischer, who some might say had a pretty good reputation with the old The Vikings (1958) movie. It was the writing by Stanley Mann instead of Milius that killed the franchise off though. I don't know what the real reasons were for Milius not making Conan the Destroyer other than him being tied up with the rewriting of Red Dawn from someone else's script? Doesn't make that much sense.

Either way, I can't see Milius ever being involved with Conan again. He's still recovering from a very debilitating heart attack and his passion is now getting Genghis Khan made.

PS. Another thing I didn't realise was that it was Milius that rewrote the famous Robert Shaw Indianapolis speech scene, which he dictated over the phone to Spielberg. Shaw loved the speech that Milius rewrote in Jaws but said it was too many lines to remember, so cut it down in half by his own editorship skills, and delivered the one that's in the movie. Goddamn, that man knew how to write good dialogue. "But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world..." and " I love the smell of napalm in the morning" plus "Charlie don't surf" are just some of his other great bits of dialogue ingrained in the public consciousness that he penned.
    I cannot possibly imagine Apocalypse Now without Milius´ Input. Obviously Coppola himself wrote Pretty good dialogue too, since he wrote a lot himself, if I am not mistaken. But the whole spirit seems to be based on Milius.

Conan started out as a rewrite of a King Kull story that was initially rejected, as far as I know. Anyone seen this Kull movie?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I'm a Howard purist - so nobody. ;)
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'm a Howard purist - so nobody. ;)

I have never read any of the books. Just read the comics, both Conan and King Kull. They are pretty similar.
    The Kull movie was somewhat boring, you kept waiting for the main character to throw of his Kull disguise and shout: "Aha it is I Hercules and I shall proceed to give you a serious demi-Godlike thrashing." Sadly it never happened and may have made the movie a bit more fun.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Conan started out as a rewrite of a King Kull story that was initially rejected, as far as I know. Anyone seen this Kull movie?
    I saw it because I was liking his Hercules show around then. Sadly, it was garbage. It made Beastmaster look like Lawrence of Arabia. And even more sadly, he's lost his mind to the evangelical nonsense. Another tragic tail of wasted neurons.
    8-|
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Oliver Tobias should've played Kull in the 70s.
    1410031_900.jpg