No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited May 2018 Posts: 5,767
    peter wrote: »
    I think they hired Armstrong precisely because Boyle is the next director; Boyle, a man who’s never shot a film of this budget or scope (even if it is to be a lower budget Bond film, it’ll still be more than anything he’s ever had to play with).

Armstrong who’s seen and done it all, including Bond, will be able to help guide Boyle in this venture (even scaled back set pieces will still be more than anything Boyle has done x 10).

I’m sure Armstrong will also be used as a firm hand to say “no”.... Directors come up with brilliant (and crazy) ideas all the time. They’re idea wizards. And if Boyle were to
    Come up with a visual set piece but had no idea of cost (both time and money), Armstrong will be that authority to tell him “not this time”.
    That´s my guess too. After all, in the Brosnan era more than once a film was more or less clearly divided for first and second unit, with the first unit director concentrating on what would be sold as plot and character, and the second unit director doing the big action setpieces. I think at least in DAD Armstrong shot a lot of the Iceland scenes completely on his own, while Tamahori shot other stuff elsewhere.

It could also be that B25 has some horse action, since Armstrong has a huge amount of experience with horses.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I do hope for some diving action sequences again. I love the scenes in TB and LTK plus TSWLM. Not keen on horses ...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    How does the excitement and anticipation for B25 compare with previous outings. How hyped are you for the production to kick off in December (in theory)?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,686
    Bond 25 will be under 130 minutes, shorter than Goldeneye and Living Daylights. We know that much since Boyle has never made a film longer than that.

Runtime of every Mendes directed films prior to SF/SP:

American Beauty: 122 minutes.
    Road to Perdition: 117 minutes.
    Jarhead: 125 minutes.
    Revolutionary Road: 119 minutes.
    Away We Go: 98 minutes.

So I will fix your post:
    Bond 25 will be around 145 minutes, similar to Skyfall and Spectre. We know that much since Boyle, like Mendes, has never made a film longer than 130 minutes.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    like I said: there's a reason they got him. He will be an authority on set to keep everything in check (while creating solid set-pieces; the man is a Master in his craft, so...)

No doubt. I'm eager to see what he returns to the table with after all these years.

Does anyone know which movies he made the last 15 years?
    @noSolaceleft, there´s a list on imdb.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    How does the excitement and anticipation for B25 compare with previous outings. How hyped are you for the production to kick off in December (in theory)?
    Very.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Forgive me for asking but is Vic Armstrong really confirmed? I read the website that stated this. It didn't describe how it obtained the information. It merely stated it as if it were fact.
    Hopefully more confirmed than P&W were!
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,164
    Forgive me for asking but is Vic Armstrong really confirmed? I read the website that stated this. It didn't describe how it obtained the information. It merely stated it as if it were fact.

I know the guys who run the site and they have their own sources. That's why it says - "Source: Omega Underground" at the bottom. They've got a very good rep on crew hires and production start dates etc. The trades won't report on crew members like stunt coordinators etc signing on, that's why sites like that do it.

bondjames wrote: »
    Hopefully more confirmed than P&W were!
    :D

I guess a good thing to say is, things may change. P&W were the 'confirmed' writers at the time of the release date announcement...and look where we are now
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Is there any excitement and anticipation for B25?

After similar gaps:

89-95: I was hyped for GE that Bond was back !! Hype rating: 10/10

02-06: After the all time low of DAD, Bond back to basics and with an adaptation of a Fleming novel?! Get in! Hype rating: 9/10

08-12: 50th anniversary, an impressive cast and crew and the hope that they could get the Craig era back on track after the disappointment of QOS. Hype rating 7/10

15-19: Soooo bored of this. 4 year gap, 3 year gap, 4 year gap. Stop wasting my time. If you don't want to make Bond films for a living then just quit (Dan) or give the rights to someone else (EON). By the end of July we will have had 3 world cups in the same time we have had 2 Bond films FFS. That's pathetic frankly. Not to mention we are stuck at a narrative dead end after SP. Hype rating: 4/10 (Would be just 1 but for the Danny Boyle factor which is the only scintilla of interesting news).
    I just cannot understand the negative reactions to the return of Vic Armstrong, one of the best stunt co-ordinators and second unit directors in the business. To all those complaining i say would you rather have the shaky cam and incomprihensible editing of QOS instead
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    To all those complaining i say would you rather have the shaky cam and incomprihensible editing of QOS instead
    Utterly inane question as the two things are completely unrelated.

The OHMSS ski chase would be shit with shaky cam and 'incomprihensible' (sic) editing as well but that would not be a reflection on Willy Bogner and co.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    not the editing but the action sequences in QoS were quite exciting. unfortunately they were not very well linked to the plot.

edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

After similar gaps:

02-06: After the all time low of DAD, Bond back to basics and with an adaptation of a Fleming novel?! Get in! Hype rating: 9/10

08-12: 50th anniversary, an impressive cast and crew and the hope that they could get the Craig era back on track after the disappointment of QOS. Hype rating 7/10

15-19: Soooo bored of this. 4 year gap, 3 year gap, 4 year gap. Stop wasting my time. If you don't want to make Bond films for a living then just quit (Dan) or give the rights to someone else (EON). By the end of July we will have had 3 world cups in the same time we have had 2 Bond films FFS. That's pathetic frankly. Not to mention we are stuck at a narrative dead end after SP. Hype rating: 4/10 (Would be just 1 but for the Danny Boyle factor which is the only scintilla of interesting news).
    +1. Took the words right out of mouth. I can't imagine we're alone. That's why, if there's any scintilla of common sense left over at HQ (& I sincerely hope there is), they have more surprises in store for us before November 2019 (or whenever)..

After similar gaps:

Very true. I suppose there is a limit to how many times you can leave people in suspense before they just lose interest altogether and move on. Each time it becomes less effective. Not just that, but the longer break no longer seem to lead to an increase in quality or fresh ideas, but rather stagnation. It really does feel like we're back in the twilight days of Rogers tenure, were it's just a matter of waiting for the clock to run down so we can get some fresh blood in and achnage of direction finally. I can already imagine exactly the Bond film Boyle would produce, and while quirky and interesting quite possible, I don't see it addressing any of the long standing issues the franchise has developed. We do know it will be a shorter film, and probably more colourful and faster paced, no sweeping 30 second establishing shots. That's a start, atleast.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    may be Boyle is planning on making A follow up to 28 Weeks Later.

48 Months Later

with Craig as the zombie Bond that refuses to die.

why not exhume Laz, Dalton and Brozza while they're at it. awesome

needs Simon Pegg in it. oh and Naomi Harris - sorted.
    The phrase "utterly inane question" is exactly the reason i dont post on here very often. @wisardoffice you have the right to disagree but there is no need for insulting my question. Good manners cost nothing
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    To all those complaining i say would you rather have the shaky cam and incomprihensible editing of QOS instead

The OHMSS ski chase would be shit with shaky cam and 'incomprihensible' (sic) editing as well but that would not be a reflection on Willy Bogner and co.

QoS was also not shot using the shaky-cam method. It was just edited into oblivion. Schaefer actually did some really nice work.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I just cannot understand the negative reactions to the return of Vic Armstrong, one of the best stunt co-ordinators and second unit directors in the business. To all those complaining i say would you rather have the shaky cam and incomprihensible editing of QOS instead

Yes!

QoS was also not shot using the shaky-cam method. It was just edited into oblivion. Schaefer actually did some really nice work.
    That has always been my impression. Some wonderful locations and creative action set pieces were ruined by schizophrenic editing. Quite a tragic waste in my view. I've always hoped they would do another cut one day, while realizing the chances are zero.
    Yes, QoS rushed through everything, but I do like a shorter run time for Bond. The last couple have been very baggy IMO. 110 - 125 minutes is optimal.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I think I'll be disappointed if Craig's final film is too short. If anything, SPECTRE could've been shorter and Bond 25 should be his longest.
  • RC7RC7
    The running time is completely arbitrary. It’s the story that matters. OHMSS is 35 mins longer than QoS, but is 100 times more satisfying as a whole.
    It's a positive that it will only be two hours. Modern Bond, besides QoS, all have bloated run times and would be much better with a 15 minute trim.
  • RC7RC7
    It's a positive that it will only be two hours.

What will only be two hours?
    RC7 wrote: »

Bond 25. I say it's a positive that it won't be another bloated film like the other Craig films are (besides QoS).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Bond 25. I say it's a positive that it won't be another bloated film like the other Craig films are (besides QoS).

People are still acting like the film may be delayed, but we're assuming we know the runtime already?
  • RC7RC7

Cool story, bro.
    People here still seem to think, the delay is the actors fault. Remember MGM stating a distributor should be all set early last year? Or was it the year before? So - its still not locked, it seems. All the actors fault indeed.
    The phrase "utterly inane question" is exactly the reason i dont post on here very often. @wisardoffice you have the right to disagree but there is no need for insulting my question. Good manners cost nothing
    No really sure how it's my fault you cannot differentiate between the roles of stunt coordinator, editor and cameraman.

The word 'inane' is in the dictionary for a reason, but of course the world would be a much nicer place in this snowflake era if it were expunged and replaced with something nice and fluffy like 'clever' or 'astute' or 'well thought out'.

Make an inane post and I'm not going to apologise for correctly labelling it so.
    The running time is completely arbitrary. It’s the story that matters. OHMSS is 35 mins longer than QoS, but is 100 times more satisfying as a whole.
    Conversely DN clocks in at 110 mins and SP 148.

At the end of the day the whole thing is totally arbitrary and actually there's just as much evidence to say a long running time makes for a better Bond film given you have OHMSS, CR and SF all north of 140 mins. I really don't know why people are getting so hung up on it. There are far more important elements that need getting right first before the running time matters a jot.

The vital thing is that it doesn't clock in at 133 mins as given DAD is the only film with that running time the evidence would point towards a travesty.