Deaver's 'Carte Blanche' teaser trailer video revealed

MI6MI6 Administrator
edited April 2011 in News Posts: 677
Jeffery Deaver's upcoming James Bond novel, dubbed 'Carte Blanche', is being teased through a new YouTube video, published by Hodder & Stoughton.

<a href = "http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/literary_jeffrey_deaver_carte_blanche_announced.php3">Carte Blanche</a> is due to be published by Hodder and Stoughton in the UK, a few days before Fleming’s birthday, on 26th May 2011. It has been commissioned by Ian Fleming Publications Ltd.

Jeffery Deaver comments, “I’m really excited about being back in Dubai. It is an inspirational and awe-inspiring city and makes a perfect Bond location—especially for a novel that pushes our hero to new extremes.”

Comments

• edited April 2012 Posts: 23
    Looks good.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    How awful is that? Just, yuck! It's not helping sell the novel for me.

I'm interested to see what people's thoughts are next month on this.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    So this is Bourne Bond for the novels?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    This is really awful. This isn't the way I would introduce my take on Bond. A really bad trailer in my mind.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 107
    Well, it looks like the made they type on the cover red instead of gray. That's an improvement.

Everything else about this trailer is abysmal.
    Think that was really, really bad.
    Think they should make a better one.
    Think that will put people off the book!
    Think I've used the word Think too much as well.
    No, they didn't really put much effort into it did they? Don't like the cliched sentences either, such as think gadgets, girls etc. Corny. Saying there is a new Bond is good though. They could have put something in the background instead of just having that grey. Something similar to the title sequences of the Bond films would have been good.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    It's poor, but not as shockingly bad as the Devil May Care 'music video' :-D
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    @JamesPage I was about ask since when do books have, well, movie trailers? But then read your comment about DMC having a music video. Dear Lord... :-j
    This made me laugh quite a bit. I think we should come together as a community and produce a web series based on the character of Deaver Bond.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Quoting ZorinIndustries: "Think bad corporate promo without any inch of class or panache associated with the subject matter".
    Can't really say it better than that.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2011 Posts: 9,117
    That really is rather poor.

Laughbly starts off referencing Fleming and then turns into a trailer for a Brosnan Bond film - 'Think shaken not stirred', 'Think beautiful girls', 'Think gadgets', 'Think smug looking Irish clothes horse with a transatlantic accent of an indeterminable origin'; 'You were expecting someone else?'.
    To paraphrase Connery in the Last Crusade 'you call this Flemings Bond?' Apalling.

After DMC (DAD in book form) it seems Ian Fleming Publications just sees the literary Bond as a cash cow which needs to come into line with the films to produce the returns they are after - hence a female M and presumably Bond will have given up smoking as well.

And what the **** is 'Deaver Bond' supposed to be? I presume this lacklustre advert is aimed at the general public who dont really know anything about the book and are, at best, slightly aware of Jeffery Deavers existence but have no idea that he is writing a Bond novel. At the end of this trailer you are left thinking 'this has something to do with James Bond but has it got Bond in it or has someone written a new adventure about his long lost f*cking cousin Deaver Bond?'

I'm all for a series of Deaver Bond stories. I imagine him to be some distant relative from the Scottish branch of the family who lives in the highlands. Perhaps he wears a kilt and tam o'shanter and is some sort of poacher/gamekeeper. I fancy he likes his whisky and can see him getting embroiled in some sort of John Buchan-esque shenanigans with some foreign miscreants hell bent on destroying dear old Blighty.

Lets see if we can elevate Deaver Bond to that elite pantheon of Bondian legends such as the Hergescheimer and John 'WW3' Terry.

Edited by mod - removed obvious reference to a profanity. Please asterisk-out all swearing, guys, if you must swear.
    Negative much?

"After DMC (DAD in book form) it seems Ian Fleming Publications just sees the literary Bond as a cash cow which needs to come into line with the films to produce the returns they are after - hence a female M and presumably Bond will have given up smoking as well."

Where the hell were you during the Benson era?
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 2,491
    first impression: WTF? :(|) :(|) :(|) :(|) :(|) :(|) this is most confused emoticon i found
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Quoting Vesper: Where the hell were you during the Benson era?
    Fair point. I only read a couple and then tuned out and pretended that era didnt exist. Although were any of them as bad really as DMC? Surely not? And I am prepared to extend Benson a bit more kindness (for the fine Bedside Companion) than I am Faulkes who just did it to fill his pockets and get a series on the BBC telling the general public about characters like Bond as if he knew what he was talking about and generally promoting the Seb brand. Merecneary tosser.