No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm surprised on the amount of people in the world that hate Craig as Bond and his films. I mean how can you hate CR?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm surprised on the amount of people in the world that hate Craig as Bond and his films. I mean how can you hate CR?

Different strokes for different folks. I absolutely love CR, but I also don't care for SF at all and I know it's pretty much loved across the board by die-hard fans and general audiences alike.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm not against Armstrong being back because overall I liked the Brosnan era's action scenes, but it doesn't exactly excite me either. Safe pair of hands I guess. Bond 25 is shaping up to be something that I would have been excited for if they'd got it out quicker, but is just coming across as a real anti climax after such a long wait. I want to be excited because I love Danny Boyle but so far he's literally the only person involved who's name has me interested. Apart from him it all just seems so boring and stale so far imo.
    Quite right. I feel the same way. Anticlimactic at present. That's why I still hold out hope that they have a few surprises up their skirt. I have a few fan theories on it too, but let's see what happens.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Only on this site, lol
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    He did pretty good work during the Brosnan era. The only missteps were the admittedly poor ski chase and the submarine finale in TWINE, and "that" surf scene from DAD.

He didn't work on GE but the action in TND is some of the best we've ever had in the series.

Christ I forgot about the TWINE ski chase.

Of his big action sequences:

TND

PTS: It's a cracking PTS but the action itself is largely bangs and explosions. 5/10

Car park chase: Decent, apart from the stupid cable cutter in the BMW badge (but that's not Vic's fault). 7/10

Bike chase: Very solid apart from some dubious model shots (again not Vic's fault). 7/10

Stealth boat finale: Pretty inspid. Just explosions and gunfire. Is that Vic's fault or the script and director? Difficult to say but I guess he has to share a slice of the blame. 2/10

Overall 5.25/10 (21/40)

TWINE

PTS bankers office: Fantastic stunt brilliantly staged and shot. 8/10

Boat chase: Some inane bits (jumping out the side of the MI6 building, driving down the street) but for the most part the action is fabulously staged (although as I mentioned previously, in the behind the scenes stuff Simon Crane was also heavily involved here sp not sure Vic can take all the credit). Special mention for Gary Powell and the speedboat barrel roll which is a fantastic and extremely dangerous stunt. 9/10

Ski chase: Extremely dull. The only decent stunt is when the snowmobile drives off the cliff. 2/10

The missile facility: Rather pedestrian. 3/10

Caviar factory: Fun but you can see the choreography. 5/10

Sub finale: Again interesting but not particularly thrilling. 5/10

6.4/10 (32/50)

DAD

PTS surfing: Best stunt in the film by a million miles. Not sure how much Vic had to do with it though. Didn't they just hire some top surfers and send them to Hawaii with a camera crew? 7/10

PTS hovercraft chase: The helicopter exploding is a great shot but after that it's all very by the numbers and you can practically see the air cannon flipping the hovercraft. When Moon's rams Bond's and it flips over is a low point. Looks so like a rig they made that can flip the hovercraft back and forth so they can keep going back and doing it over and over till they get what they want in the can. 3/10

Blades fight: Shockingly overrated. Nowhere near Grant v Bond, Green 4 and Necros, Alec v Bond or the fights from CR and Slate in QOS. 4/10

Car chase on ice: Meh. Some really great driving but this gets lost with all the crappy gadgets exploding and shooting stuff and then smashing through some fake plastic ice walls in the hotel. 6/10

5/10 (20/40)

Overall Vic isn't terrible just a very average, meat and potatoes safe pair of hands. He'll do a competent job but that's all. A rather dull and predictable choice.

I'm not against Armstrong being back because overall I liked the Brosnan era's action scenes, but it doesn't exactly excite me either. Safe pair of hands I guess. Bond 25 is shaping up to be something that I would have been excited for if they'd got it out quicker, but is just coming across as a real anti climax after such a long wait. I want to be excited because I love Danny Boyle but so far he's literally the only person involved who's name has me interested. Apart from him it all just seems so boring and stale so far imo.
    Hear, hear.

edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I think you're conflating two things. I don't believe there's hate for Craig. Certainly not from me, and I don't think from many members. I really haven't seen any hate for CR either.

I think what you're seeing is that some members just think it's time for him to move on. That's his time in the saddle is up after 13+years. That's all. Perfectly reasonable I should think, and I'd imagine similar feelings existed just prior to AVTAK's release. After all, the Daltonites even today scream that their man should have had a crack earlier.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2018 Posts: 7,964
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think you're conflating two things. I don't believe there's hate for Craig. Certainly not from me, and I don't think from many members. I really haven't seen any hate for CR either.

I think what you're seeing is that some members just think it's time for him to move on. That's his time in the saddle is up after 13+years. That's all. Perfectly reasonable I should think, and I'd imagine similar feelings existed just prior to AVTAK's release. After all, the Daltonites even today scream that their man should have had a crack earlier.

I think that is indisputable at this point. SF was the high point in terms of global popularity, it was always going to be downhill from there. Not that he needed to quit in 2012, but if they were going to continue, they needed to be more prompt about it. Imagine if we had a four year wait for AVTAK or DAF.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Bond will always find his core audience - but that may no longer be enough these days
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

This wasn't on here. I just was watching a CR YouTube video and the comments section were littered with it. About 95% of the people here I feel like Craig, it's the external ones that don't

This wasn't on here. I just was watching a CR YouTube video and the comments section were littered with it. About 95% of the people here I feel like Craig, it's the external ones that don't

No one hates Craig, or CR. What some people disagree with is the constant "Craig is the best Bond since Connery", and "CR is the best Bond film ever made". It has become less in recent years, but for a good decade that was all you would hear.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited May 2018 Posts: 1,187
    barryt007 wrote: »
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/959475/James-Bond-25-Daniel-Craig-net-worth-Sean-Connery-James-Bond-Sunday-Times-Rich-List

Craig apparently the highest paid Bond. Over 25 million for Bond 25, now we know why he came back.

As I've said on here before,they sould get rid of him now,and get someone new,younger and keen on a lot smaller salary.

He is only coming back for one big,final payday.

The nerve of the guy. Good job no-one else did that…oh, sorry Sean, forgot about DAF!

Sean gave his fee to his charity. Something tells me Craig won't be doing the same.

He will spend it on make-up and plastic surgery.

Then there will be hardly some change left.

I think he already had some work done. He looks different to the BAFTAs appearance. Likely a Boyle script will incorporate his age into the equation, so it's not the end of the world. But it is upsetting for those of us hoping for a bit more of the "Men want to be him, woman want to lay next to him" Bond of old.
    lay next to?!?!

edited May 2018 Posts: 7,964
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/959475/James-Bond-25-Daniel-Craig-net-worth-Sean-Connery-James-Bond-Sunday-Times-Rich-List

Craig apparently the highest paid Bond. Over 25 million for Bond 25, now we know why he came back.

As I've said on here before,they sould get rid of him now,and get someone new,younger and keen on a lot smaller salary.

The nerve of the guy. Good job no-one else did that…oh, sorry Sean, forgot about DAF!

Sean gave his fee to his charity. Something tells me Craig won't be doing the same.

Then there will be hardly some change left.

I think he already had some work done. He looks different to the BAFTAs appearance. Likely a Boyle script will incorporate his age into the equation, so it's not the end of the world. But it is upsetting for those of us hoping for a bit more of the "Men want to be him, woman want to lay next to him" Bond of old.
    lay next to?!?!

I was trying to put it a way which wouldn't get a telling off from the mods, ROFL. :))

Nice to see you back around here, Quantum Org.
    Here we are summer 2018, and still no further. If we don't hear anything before the end of the month, that's a signal that something isn't right behind the scenes.
    Replace "the end of the month" with "the end of NEXT month", and you are 100% right.

Oh, I see. Sorry I misunderstood. Well if what you've seen on YouTube is indicative of the general public's (or the millennial's) opinion of things then it may be time to go. I'm sure Sony, Warner, MGM or whoever have a department that monitors and keeps tabs on this sort of thing, or at least I hope so.

Making mud pies 007?
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Well, I really enjoy the action of the Brosnan era so I'm happy Armstrong is back.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Remington wrote: »
    Well, I really enjoy the action of the Brosnan era so I'm happy Armstrong is back.

He's a legend, no doubt. Not my first choice however. My point was that locking him in now means there's plenty of movement over at EoN. If there was no script, or if production was potentially going to be delayed for a period of time, there's no point in securing the 2nd unit director and his team.

More than likely is that he's been locked because he has something he's working with (script, schedules), so that he can start his prep (assembling his team and locking them into the production, working with locations and building what these set-pieces will look like)...
    I think it’s great news. It also is a sign to me that production is on schedule, and Boyle/Hodge are a lock.
    Quite liked the acton sequences in the Brosnan era, actually.
    Beats anything the Mendes era brought.

The Shanghai fist fight would like to have a word with you.
    Over-stylized ballett.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I think they hired Armstrong precisely because Boyle is the next director; Boyle, a man who’s never shot a film of this budget or scope (even if it is to be a lower budget Bond film, it’ll still be more than anything he’s ever had to play with).

Armstrong who’s seen and done it all, including Bond, will be able to help guide Boyle in this venture (even scaled back set pieces will still be more than anything Boyle has done x 10).

I’m sure Armstrong will also be used as a firm hand to say “no”.... Directors come up with brilliant (and crazy) ideas all the time. They’re idea wizards. And if Boyle were to
    Come up with a visual set piece but had no idea of cost (both time and money), Armstrong will be that authority to tell him “not this time”.
    I must say the news of Vic Armstrong coming back is the first downer on Bond 25 for me. His action scenes are all far too languid and overly staged.

I'll just hope that Boyle edits the hell out of them to give them some pace and visual flair.
    Cowley wrote: »
    I must say the news of Vic Armstrong coming back is the first downer on Bond 25 for me. His action scenes are all far too languid and overly staged.

I'll just hope that Boyle edits the hell out of them to give them some pace and visual flair.

Personally, that's how the action in Mendes' installments felt to me, way too staged.
    Many Bond action sequences feel “staged.” They are movies after all.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Many Bond action sequences feel “staged.” They are movies after all.

^ This. Some are better than others, but for me a lot of the fisticuffs feel extremely staged (both during the Craig era and before).
    Don't get me wrong, it's not to say that the others don't feel staged to some degree; a lot of the fisticuffs in TND have a jarringly staged feel, can't stand it, but it's prevalent in the last two installments for me, too.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well let's see what 16 years has done for Armstrong before we pass judgement prematurely.
    Nobody's passing any judgment, just commenting on the situation is all. I'm personally happy to see him return.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    like I said: there's a reason they got him. He will be an authority on set to keep everything in check (while creating solid set-pieces; the man is a Master in his craft, so...)
    peter wrote: »
    like I said: there's a reason they got him. He will be an authority on set to keep everything in check (while creating solid set-pieces; the man is a Master in his craft, so...)

No doubt. I'm eager to see what he returns to the table with after all these years.
    Forgive me for asking but is Vic Armstrong really confirmed? I read the website that stated this. It didn't describe how it obtained the information. It merely stated it as if it were fact.