Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

I love Bogie's apartment here. Perfect noir setting.
    Barton McClane and Ward Bond as the cops who interrogate Bogie. Wonderful stuff!
    Who put that BRIGHT IDEA in your head?

Great line. I should use that.
    I had a friend who felt THE MALTESE FALCON wasn't really a noir, but a studio based Warner Bros. detective thriller. He felt genuine noirs were films like THE BIG COMBO, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, DETOUR, and THE HITCHHIKER.

Some people feel true noir didn't happen until after the war ended.

That's a good point. I think of this film as an early noir. There are more than enough noir elements and themes for it to qualify, IMO.

I had another friend who was more open minded about noir to the point of being ridiculous. He labelled practically everything he saw as a noir: MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, THE LONGEST DAY, etc
    Bogie is wearing a peak lapel jacket with single breast. Like Craig in SPECTRE.

I stand firm by the opinion peak lapels should only be on double breast jackets.
    Peter Lorre as Joel Cairo! Yes!!!

When I saw this on a double bill with THE BIG SLEEP back in 1988, these films were still being broadcast on regular television fairly often. The audience knew this film inside and out. Today, you might catch it on Turner Classic Movies, and would have to order it online to find a DVD copy. Kind of sad, really.
    You're good, you're VERY good.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    An all time Top Ten for me. I love it!

Me, too. Often if I'm asked for my number one all time favorite film, this one takes the spot. Sometimes it's THE BIG SLEEP or OUT OF THE PAST.
    When you're slapped you'll take it and LIKE it!
    Mary Astor is getting turned on by Bogie's bullsh!t story to the cops. YES!!!!
    Elisha Cook Jr! Legendary actor.
    I love black and white. I remember this one being colorized in the late '80's and I thought it looked awful.
    I wouldn't mind seeing it again like that, though.
    Color schemes were chosen differently for black and white than color, so I wonder whether or not the odd looking hues used in the Ted Turner version, were in fact, accurate?
    Kasper Gutman. One of the greatest villains of all time, IMO. A precursor to the Bond villain.
    I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk.

John Hamilton as the district attorney. Perry White. He was in everything back then.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    OUT OF THE PAST is probably a Top 25 for me.

I love it. Any noir with Robert Mitchum ends up a favorite of mine.
    As I thought earlier, I'd be in the mood for some Hammer Horror.
    So here goes....................

................the underrated, under-appreciated classic in which Lee gets to speak and make use of his magnificent voice...........................

SCARS OF DRACULA (1970)

Pre-title sequence............

A Hammer Production
    Nice model work of the Count's castle.

Camera pans down to a window, and there it is.........

The Count's scarlet lined cloak.
    A astonishingly phony (but cool looking) rubber bat spits blood on the Count's ashes........................................
    an flies off............

Christopher Lee resurrected!!!!

It usually takes half the film before the Count is revived.
    Directed by Roy Ward Baker of The Saint.
    Nice village in the middle of nowhere and a young girls body is brought into the local inn.
    If Hammer's EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN uncharacteristically emulated the Universal films, then SCARS OF DRACULA, is probably the only Hammer Drac to seem to homage the Universal series as well.

Here we have torch wielding villagers marching to Dracula's castle to set it ablaze.
    Dr Who's Patrick Troughton play's Dracula's servant, Klove. The previous Klove looked a bit like the Count himself, whereas Patrick is more a Renfield type.
    Beautiful atmospheric score by James Bernard, the John Barry of the Hammer Horrors.

The villagers return to the local church to find their family members slaughtered by Dracula's pet bat. Some gruesome shots here. Nice make up work.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 15,785
    Now the subplot begins................

Lovely OHMSS alumni Jenny Hanley and her wimpy-ass college student boyfriend Dennis Waterman.

In all fairness, I actually like Waterman here. He might have made a decent Jonathan Harker. It's just a tradition in the Hammer Dracula's to have college aged young heroes go up against the Count. When compared to the great Peter Cushing they all look like wusses.

Waterman's somewhat Bondian brother is played by Christopher Matthews.

No, I don't think Matthews would have made a good Bond, but some of his facial expressions remind me a bit of Laz.

He's a player.
    After sleeping with the village police chief's daughter, Christopher Matthews is on the run.

George Lazenby would be proud. Damn!!!! He should have played this role! That would have been great!
    Christopher Matthews' characters name is Paul. Another tradition in Hammer Horror was to name their lead characters Paul. Apparently is was easier to type so they kept using it.

I wonder how Lee felt about that?
    Paul ends up at the village inn, makes out with the barmaid, and is kicked out.............

I'll give it away.....................he's going to get slaughtered by Dracula later.

I first saw this on television late one Saturday night. I had previously only seen DRACULA- PRINCE OF DARKNESS, and DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE. I loved all three, but this one had more screen-time for Lee, and was a bit more gory.
    Thin plot here and the film is kind of an acquired taste, but lots of fun.
    At the castle, Paul arrives and is greeted by another OHMSS beauty, ANOUSKA HEMPEL!!!!!

Paul almost falls over the edge of an incredibly long (matte painted) drop.