Any non-Bond film.....Comments while you watch...

Comments

Mina is mocking the Count's accent.
    I love the 1930's.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 15,785
    Dracula in a top hat. John Carradine would make that image look good later.
    The cape Lugosi wears during the London scenes is owned by Bela's son.
    He put it up for auction some time ago and the price was too high.

The cape is a heavy black wool with a muted silvery/gray lining.
    The cape looks the same in color as it does in black and white.
    Bela fastened his Dracula capes with long straps tied under his arm pits behind his back.

Like Christopher Reeve's Superman capes.
    Van Helsing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He kind of looks like Daniel Craig in SPECTRE.
    Edward Van Sloan's 1931 close cropped haircut is very fashionable today.
    At this point the movie is essentially the play filmed.
    I love every frame, but can see why some audiences may find this section slow.
    As Dwight Frye is under the Count's spell he also looks more demonic. Messy hair, suspenders, and shadowing under the eyes.
    Lugosi bites Mina.

Unlike later Dracula's he doesn't show his fangs.
    Dracula mingling with Dr Seward, Mina, Harker and Van Helsing.

Bela looks good. He looks just slightly paler than the other cast members.
    When it comes to these horror classic from Universal I'm pretty obsessed with the sets, props, costumes and make up.

There's a thread on the classic horror film board regarding the true color of Boris Karloff's greasepaint in the Frankenstein films. That thread is probably as many pages as our very own Bond 25 thread.

It all boils down to the fact that Jack Pierce covered the Frankenstein Monster in a Max Factor greasepaint called "Sky Gray". A non gloss bluish/gray with very subtle green highlights.

In spite of so many depictions of the Frankenstein Monster presented in Hulk green, there was little green in the make up itself.

Dracula comes back to Mina's bedroom to abduct her.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I share your love of Universal horror and the great Jack Pierce @ToTheRight . Been a fan since I was very young.

Nice! I grew up on these films. Jack Pierce and Lon Chaney Sr were make up geniuses.
    The climax!!!!

Dracula kills Renfield and throws him down a very high, and un- railed staircase.
    The Blu-ray restores Renfield's screams.
    Give me ........a piece of stone......ANYTHING to help me drive that stake through their heart!

What exactly IS that metal thing Harker finds?
    Dracula dies off-screen. His moans are heard as we get reaction shots of Mina clutching her heart.

I still like this climax better than SPECTRE's.

Damn. We're not even in a Bond thread, and I here I am giving the latest Craig outing a thrashing.

Speaking of long gaps.................fans had to wait 5 years for a sequel to this classic.
    Lugosi was going to reprise his role as the Count, but instead a wax mannequin replaced him in DRACULA'S DAUGHTER.

Van Sloan returned as Van Helsing.
    DRACULA'S DAUGHTER is one of the strangest of the lot. Very good film.

I like that one quite a bit. The one I really love SON OF DRACULA.
    Lon Chaney Jr as Count Alucard. Many, many debates on whether he is the Count himself or his son. Very atmospheric film. I may watch that one soon and comment on it.
    @Birdleson, it certainly implies he's the Count, even down to crediting him as Count Dracula.
    The Universal film titles weren't always about accuracy. HOUSE OF DRACULA takes place nowhere near Castle Dracula.
    I have just enough time for a short film, so I'll continue my Universal theme night with..............

THE BLACK CAT (1934)
    Universal was just trying to capitalize on the success of HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

True.
    Writer David Manners and wife on their honeymoon in Europe.

Traveling by train.
    Bela interrupts and invites himself to join their compartment.
    Again, Lugosi looks great here three years after Dracula.
    Bela is actually a kind of hero in this one. Even though he's a bit creepy leering at Manner's wife in the train.
    I GO TO VISIT.......AN OLD FRIEND!
    I used to prefer THE RAVEN (1935) to this one, but now I'm all about this film.
    A great pairing of Lugosi and Karloff.

Years ago I met and hung out with Ed Wood's regular actor, Conrad Brooks. He told me all sorts of things about Lugosi and Ed Wood.

He said Bela was very, very nice, and a quiet kind of man. He said the rivalry between Lugosi and Karloff was pretty much exaggerated over the years, especially in the Tim Burton Ed Wood film.