Happy Saint George's Day !! (23rd April)

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I hadn't really thought it would be necessary to put a smiley at the end of my post, but it seems I was wrong.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I hadn't really thought it would be necessary to put a smiley at the end of my post, but it seems I was wrong.

I guess you are a victim of Poe's law.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Ludovico wrote: »

At least we're not down to Godwin so far.
    For a while, Saint George was my patron saint, even if I'm French. Reason why ? I was a boy scout when I was, oh so much younger than today. My troop and I even attended the celebration in West-Berlin when I lived there. Now, of course, my patron saint is Saint Gabriel.

At least we're not down to Godwin so far.

That'll be a bit early.
    It should be a Bank Holiday as far as I am concerned.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I think so too. I wish it was in fact.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Racists.

How do you think making a bank holiday for the English would make the non English people feel? You pair really have a thing or two to learn about inclusivity.

Do you not even remember who created the heinous empire, slavery and concentration camps. The English are to blame for all the ills in the world I thought that was common knowledge?

Racists.

How do you think making a bank holiday for the English would make the non English people feel? You pair really have a thing or two to learn about inclusivity.

Do you not even remember who created the heinous empire, slavery and concentration camps. The English are to blame for all the ills in the world I thought that was common knowledge?

Being non English and not even British I can easily dismiss such accusation ;-) .

My wife is only half English and my son one quarter, might as well make the besy of it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited April 2018 Posts: 7,567
    Well known TV personality Dermot O'Leary was born in Colchester but his parents had moved from Ireland. As a result he clings to those Irish roots and holds dual nationality.

Popular Rod Stewart, was born in London, but because his dad was Scottish (note, his mum was English) he's claiming Scottish blood, wears tartan and supports the Scottish football team.

I bet there isn't an English born Indian or Pakistani in this country who doesn't call themselves Asian/British, and relate fully to their Asian roots, and barely at all to their country of birth.

Is it really that bad to be English?
    NicNac wrote: »
    Well known TV personality Dermot O'Leary was born in Colchester but his parents had moved from Ireland. As a result he clings to those Irish roots and holds dual nationality.

Popular Rod Stewart, was born in London, but because his dad was Scottish (note, his mum was English) he's claiming Scottish blood, wears tartan and supports the Scottish football team.

I bet there isn't an English born Indian or Pakistani in this country who doesn't call themselves Asian/British, and relate fully to their Asian roots, and barely at all to their country of birth.

Is it really that bad to be English?

Yet the fact than not a single one of them wants to f**k off back to the country they claim to originate from should answer your question.

Look at all the dregs in Calais desperate to get over the channel. None of them interested in staying in France or any other European country and I'd be surprised if any of them are seeking out a lorry that's heading to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland to hide in the back of.

I guess the classic quote from Cecil Rhodes underpins it all:
    "To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life."

I guess we just don't see it as the done thing to rub it in the faces of those with the misfortune not to be English by celebrating it perhaps?

If you're from Ireland or Scotland I guess you go through this charade to pretend you're really happy to be from there. If you're English you just know you're superior so there's no need to bang on about it.
    I see a lot of this on programmes like Masterchef.

They say,oh im from Portugal (Born in Watford probably with an English dad and Portugese mum.been to Portugal once on a package tour 18-30 pissfest) and I love to cook food from my heritage rather than English food.

They cook said food and get it completely wrong,going out in the first round.

Go and live over there then,and let us know when you realise you haven't a clue about their lifestyle and come crawling back here.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 7,567
    I'm with you on that one Barry.

''My granddad came over from Sri Lanka in 1947, so I feel a great kinship with that culture, even though I've not been yet. So this dish is inspired by my granddad, who died 12 years before I was born. I really do miss him''
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I laughed at a documentary on the EDL
    The guy was "Ultra English" . During the
    Program it was revealed that his mother
    Was Italian and his father Irish.
    If in doubt I'm always happy to go by good old Norman's cricket test. Have a look at how many people from Leicester and Bradford are supporting England when they play India or Pakistan.

It's the same in the world cup when England are playing and you get loads of jocks and Irish in Argie and German shirts cheering for whoever we are playing seemingly totally oblivious that they jumped ship at the first opportunity from their beloved countries to come to England to live.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    NicNac wrote: »
    I'm with you on that one Barry.

''My granddad came over from Sri Lanka in 1947, so I feel a great kinship with that culture, even though I've not been yet. So this dish is inspired by my granddad, who died 12 years before I was born. I really do miss him''

Spot on Nackers...

I laughed at a documentary on the EDL
    The guy was "Ultra English" . During the
    Program it was revealed that his mother
    Was Italian and his father Irish.

Haha i bet you did..these people are so deluded its unbelievable...as for me : my mum was Irish and there is Welsh on my dad's side (he is English)...i was born in Edgware,Barnet,North London and i consider myself English.

See ? not difficult is it ?
    If in doubt I'm always happy to go by good old Norman's cricket test. Have a look at how many people from Leicester and Bradford are supporting England when they play India or Pakistan.

It's the same in the world cup when England are playing and you get loads of jocks and Irish in Argie and German shirts cheering for whoever we are playing seemingly totally oblivious that they jumped ship at the first opportunity from their beloved countries to come to England to live.

Exactly...biting the hand that feeds them once more.
    Hypocrites basically.
    I'm not English but am always amazed at
    The arguments put up by some against
    England for what they did in 1654 or
    Whatever. Yet turn a blind eye to what their
    Own and other countries were doing at the
    Same time.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I'm not English but am always amazed at
    The arguments put up by some against
    England for what they did in 1654 or
    Whatever. Yet turn a blind eye to what their
    Own and other countries were doing at the
    Same time.

Mainly they find any excuse that the British Empire (although most countries still say England,even Hitler,Goebbels et al did most of the time ) or the East India Company did this or did that horrible act and use that to cover their own countries atrocities,which most of the time are worse than my countries'.

Don't forget ,fellow Englishmen and women,and all Anglofiles,to get a few cans of English beer,cider or English non-alcoholic drinks in stock over the weekend,so we can raise a glass to England on Monday !!

54c10b9c556_634x445.jpg

And Alec Trevelyn lives !! :

B22FHz2.jpg

£4.80? Would bite your hand off; it's £5.50 minimum round our way.

Anyway I will not be participating in this disgusting racism and will instead spend the day studying shariah law.
    I'd give my right hand to study shariah law
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'd give my right hand to study shariah law

I would have to be stoned.
    They usually celebrate St George's Day the Saturday/weekend before in Wallingford. I'm probably going there tomorrow as it's my birthday.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    My sis is 9 months pregnant, it's possible the baby could be born on this day!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Happy St.Georges day
    Proud of my country, and to be an Englishman.
    If anyone has a problem with that, that's their problem.
    £4.80? Would bite your hand off; it's £5.50 minimum round our way.

Anyway I will not be participating in this disgusting racism and will instead spend the day studying shariah law.

£5.50? Where is your way?
    £3.40 in my corner of Leicestershire and I thought that was steep.
    Benny wrote: »
    Happy St.Georges day
    Proud of my country, and to be an Englishman.
    If anyone has a problem with that, that's their problem.

So appropriate that our greatest poet should also be born (and die) on this date.
    And possibly a Royal baby later on to boot.
    'To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life.' Cecil Rhodes.
    'To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life.' Cecil Rhodes.

As long as you like rain.

As long as you like rain.

I love rain !!

And i love my country' history,heritage and whats left of its bulldog never-say-die attitude to life.

God bless England,and good luck to the Princess of Wales and her soon to be born St.George's Day baby xxx