Chat Thread - Free Discussion

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Where do they speak "foreign" - for those of us who don't speak Spy?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Why is it called Risico?

Foreign for risk.

I believe it's a word Fleming made up. It is Italian sounding of course.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It isn t made up. We say risiko, as do the Germans. Risico is the Italian spelling.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    It isn t made up. We say risiko, as do the Germans. Risico is the Italian spelling.
    I can confirm that for the middle sentence.

I thought that, but read somewhere else that he made it up. Thought it was pretty bizarre!
    CAPTION CONTEST
    silverback-lowland-gorilla-roaring-picture-id200442387-001
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,241
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Did anybody watch Conan in Italy? It was hilarious! Could've been twice as long. Conan seemed to be losing his mind by the end. Probably had something to do with the increased exposure to Jordan Schlansky.

Seen a couple of clips, them driving the Fiat Cinquecento, (that Schlansky guy would never have called it a 500, would he?) and the art class bit, on Youtube. It's made into a whole (separate) program?
    Did anybody watch Conan in Italy? It was hilarious! Could've been twice as long. Conan seemed to be losing his mind by the end. Probably had something to do with the increased exposure to Jordan Schlansky.

Seen a couple of clips, them driving the Fiat Cinquecento, (that Schlansky guy would never have called it a 500, would he?) and the art class bit, on Youtube. It's made into a whole (separate) program?
    Yeah, it's a full forty-minute show. But they shot much more material that was left out and can be seen in some clips online.
    CAPTION CONTEST

I AM THE LORD DRAGONPOL. YOU OBEY ME!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    CAPTION CONTEST

My reaction when I find the perfect picture, but it’s ruined by a getty images watermark.
    CAPTION CONTEST

Me before 9 AM any given day.
    CAPTION CONTEST

Wake, my beauty, wake!
    Gary hadn t been to the dentist for a long time. Lost his razor as well.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 684
    CAPTION CONTEST
    "This is no cave."

(echoing from within)
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Why is it called Risico?

Foreign for risk.

I believe it's a word Fleming made up. It is Italian sounding of course.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/risico

So the spelling is wrong. Or Dutch as some call it. Thanks for clarifying.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    " Flash Gibbon's ALIVE !!!" ( captopn contest )
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 17,241

Yeah, it's a full forty-minute show. But they shot much more material that was left out and can be seen in some clips online.

Do you know if the 40 min show is available online? Just saw the espresso clip and the wine tasting clip. Really funny to see Schlansky break character!

Do you know if the 40 min show is available online? Just saw the espresso clip and the wine tasting clip. Really funny to see Schlansky break character!
    On teamcoco.com/italy you can basically watch the entire episode split up into eight clips. It's also available in unedited form in the same site, under "Full episodes", but to watch it you need to be in the US (unlike with the clips).

Yeah, Schlansky laughs! He is human after all. Over the years there's been an evolution in terms of how the Schlansky "character" is portrayed. Early on there was a bigger effort to present Jordan as this robotic person (for comedic effect, naturally), but now they allow him to be much more natural --to be himself-- and he still generates great laughs. Different approaches. I love both but I must say I do miss the earlier one to a degree.

Anyway, at 2:29 on this clip you can watch something that was left out of the Conan in Italy episode.

On teamcoco.com/italy you can basically watch the entire episode split up into eight clips. It's also available in unedited form in the same site, under "Full episodes", but to watch it you need to be in the US (unlike with the clips).

Yeah, Schlansky laughs! He is human after all. Over the years there's been an evolution in terms of how the Schlansky "character" is portrayed. Early on there was a bigger effort to present Jordan as this robotic person (for comedic effect, naturally), but now they allow him to be much more natural --to be himself-- and he still generates great laughs. Different approaches. I love both but I must say I do miss the earlier one to a degree.

Anyway, at 2:29 on this clip you can watch something that was left out of the Conan in Italy episode.

Thanks, @mattjoes - I'll have to watch those! Remember Schlansky being very robotic, as you say, but hadn't watched any videos where he breaks character before this Italy trip. Incredibly strange to see him laugh at all!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair

Yeah, that can happen at this time of the year. When I was a "russ", we didn't have that particular "knot"*, but other knots - some of which included roundabouts.

*The knots refer to knots in the tassels of the hats the "russ" wear during May, leading up to Constitution Day. You perform different "dares", which you are awarded different knots for doing. Mostly harmless stuff. The dares can vary from school to school.

Just saw this on the Fortean Times Facebook page!
    Bond quiz: Who is more likely to be revealed as the mastermind behind everything --Le Chiffre, Greene, Silva, Oberhauser, Blofeld, C, Dryden, the Bahamas poker dealer, the couple in the Tube, the guy in the Fiat, the street cleaner-- in the next Bond film?

a) That Thai kid who still wants his 20,000 baht, plus interest
    b) Pinder
    c) Mr. Jones (Dr. No), left with a bad taste in his mouth by his brief appearance in said film
    d) Mr. Jones (Tomorrow Never Dies), who sold bug-ridden intelligence software to MI6
    e) The guy in the Fiat, who purposely stalled Bond in the Rome chase
    f) Michael G. Wilson, who appears to be everywhere you look in a Bond film
    g) All of the above
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    H. None of the above: the real mastermind is the airport receptionist from QoS.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    F) too much of a coincidence if you ask me. Very suspicious. He was in bed with the russians AND Carver media. Some say he was even part of Goldfingers Crew. He is the villain of all Villains.
    I think it's Pinder, myself. So... Pinderesque in everything he does. But deep down I just know he is planning his every move. More Pinderesque than a Pinder who's just been appointed Professor of Pinder at Pinder University.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    A name to die for... or because of

Not related to Lucy Pinder by any means is he?
    Is she named after her father perhaps?
    s-l300.jpg
    She does look rather menacing here i gotta say.
    Must be in the family.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Maybe I should bring a tent.
    Maybe I should bring a tent.

Think that was one of the knots you could get when I was a "russ"; camping in a roundabout.