"Stop getting Bond wrong !!!! " ....Alan Partridge discussion thread .

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I wonder if that means the end of Sidekick Simon...

It sounds like Alan's become a sidekick himself, if anything!

Alan ? a sidekick? never....did you not see when he was in Paris presenting with the French TV host ? haha

Yes, he did a great job there!
    Series 1 of I'm Alan Partridge is the best for me, every episode was spot on.

I cant separate any of them..all classics.

Alan ? a sidekick? never....did you not see when he was in Paris presenting with the French TV host ? haha

Those clowns pissed him right off,and that everyone went out on a night out without him,remember ? brilliant.

Those clowns pissed him right off,and that everyone went out on a night out without him,remember ? brilliant.

Yes, leading to the sacking live on-air of Glenn Ponder and his house band! :))

Yes, leading to the sacking live on-air of Glenn Ponder and his house band! :))

Glenn having a boyfriend almost made him fall off his pedestal....
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Those last few comments about IAP and KMKY(WAP) have given me a 'Jurassic Pasrk' moment of inspiration which I can't believe I've never thought of before: A complete Partridge ranking!!

Probably a bit much to start a new thread for it as the non Partridge people on here (or 'scum, subhuman scum' as I prefer to call them) would probably get the hump.

1. IAP (series 1) - Quite simply lovely stuff. Right up there with Fawlty Towers and Blackadder and so many memorable lines (at least one of which I quote on a daily basis).

2. IAP (series 2) - A tad behind the first series but still very fine work.

3. KMWKY(WAP) - Exceptional Partridge throughout. From the Roger themed first episode to shooting Forbes McCallister.

4. Alpha Papa - Not quite nailing the heights of the top three but the opening credits alone are sublime. Decent.

5 The Day Today - Only judging the Partridge segments not the show as a whole but some cracking stuff from the drenched racecourse report to the impenetrable world cup draw.

6. Mid Morning Matters (series 1-3) - They get a bit repetitive if watched back to back and I think there's something slightly off with those new writers compared to the earlier shows where we had Iannucci and Baynham. Tim Key elevates it. Can't really separate them as individual series and anyway they keep a pretty constant hit and miss level throughout.

7. Welcome To The Places Of My Life - Not brilliant but saved by being so Norwich centric.

8. Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle - Have to say I a bit disappointed to be honest. Was expecting more.

9. Alan Partridge on Open Books with Martin Bryce - Basically a DVD extra really although always nice to see Baynham in front of the camera.

Obviously have missed out the radio verison of KMKY(WAP) and the various Comic Relief skits and there is a lot of extra Partridge footage out there from the live shows, interviews in character with the likes of Clive Anderson etc but that would be getting a bit too complicated so I just stuck to the proper content.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 3,333
    He makes an appearance I believe, so he's not written out of the new series, as does Felicity Montagu as legendary Lynn.
    That sounds like comedy gold, I hope Alex Jones is on the show I like her
    No, his new TV colleague Jennie is played by Susannah Fielding. The full name of the show is: THIS TIME WITH ALAN PARTRIDGE.
  • I think my favourite slice of Partridge at the moment is actually the audiobook version of I, Partridge. I'd forgotten how magnificent it is. Much better than Nomad.
    I think my favourite slice of Partridge at the moment is actually the audiobook version of I, Partridge. I'd forgotten how magnificent it is. Much better than Nomad.

And your username is Partridge inspired of course. Good man!
  • Dragonpol wrote: »
    I think my favourite slice of Partridge at the moment is actually the audiobook version of I, Partridge. I'd forgotten how magnificent it is. Much better than Nomad.

And your username is Partridge inspired of course. Good man!

Indeed! It was either 'Jones The Bond' or 'Necking Fiona Fullerton' as a username, and on balance, I think I chose wisely.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837
    From what I've seen

1) IAP series 1/2. Genuinely can't choose between them, it's pretty consistent for me.

2) KMKY. Prefer the sitcom format of IAP but this is still classic stuff.

3) Alpha Papa. Probably the best TV comedy to cinema adaptation ever made.

4) Scissored Isle. I agree @TheWizardOfIce that the stuff with the new writers hasn't felt the same but I genuinely loved this. All the stuff with the kids in Manchester, from him approaching them in a stab vest with a "big bag of fags" as a piece offering to the ecstasy bit and the dubbed over interview when he was coming down, was gold imo. Loved the bit where he got trapped in the warehouse too, and the little touches like how you can see replies from Lynn to all the abusive comments at the start.

5) Places of My Life. Not brilliant but some good moments. The pool interview is one highlight.

6) Mid Morning Matters. They honestly just all sort of blend into one for me, maybe I need to watch them again but I'm finding it difficult to remember much that was standout from any od them.

Looking forward to the new show but I'd kill for a series three of IAP. Not sure if it would be the same without Micheal though.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 19,339
    From what I've seen

1) IAP series 1/2. Genuinely can't choose between them, it's pretty consistent for me.

2) KMKY. Prefer the sitcom format of IAP but this is still classic stuff.

3) Alpha Papa. Probably the best TV comedy to cinema adaptation ever made.

4) Scissored Isle. I agree @TheWizardOfIce that the stuff with the new writers hasn't felt the same but I genuinely loved this. All the stuff with the kids in Manchester, from him approaching them in a stab vest with a "big bag of fags" as a piece offering to the ecstasy bit and the dubbed over interview when he was coming down, was gold imo. Loved the bit where he got trapped in the warehouse too, and the little touches like how you can see replies from Lynn to all the abusive comments at the start.

5) Places of My Life. Not brilliant but some good moments. The pool interview is one highlight.

6) Mid Morning Matters. They honestly just all sort of blend into one for me, maybe I need to watch them again but I'm finding it difficult to remember much that was standout from any od them.

Looking forward to the new show but I'd kill for a series three of IAP. Not sure if it would be the same without Micheal though.

Those 2 scenes make me laugh so so much when I see them.

There is a scene that cracks me up in Mid Morning matters,where Alan thinks Sidekick Simon is taking the p*ss out of him by using a silly voice without his mouth moving,only for it to turn out to be the shows producer talking through Alan's headset on his desk (hence the little voice) telling him that the show is off air !!
    The great man returned to our screens last night on BBC1,i haven't watched it yet but have recorded it.

It appears the first episode I getting great reviews.

Anyone see it ?

AHAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Is it on iPlayer Barry?
    NicNac wrote: »
    Is it on iPlayer Barry?

I would think so Nackers....yep.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I'll have to watch the new show on catch up missed it due to my crazy sleeping pattern.
    I hope it will be available elsewhere than iPlayer eventually. Can't access iPlayer content over here…
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Big fan of the other Partridge series, but this first episode didn't impress me at all. I think i laughed once.

Can't see it scaling the heights of 'Im Alan Partridge'
    edited February 2019 Posts: 17,727
    Big fan of the other Partridge series, but this first episode didn't impress me at all. I think i laughed once.

Can't see it scaling the heights of 'Im Alan Partridge'

No, sorry to say it didn't really catch fire in the laughter stakes for me either. I'm willing to tape and watch all of the series first though, as it could well get better! Fingers crossed that it does get better...in the end it all comes down to the writing.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,599
    Different writing team and it showed, very poor IMHO but the bar was set high with some of the classic Knowing Me Knowing You episodes
    edited February 2019 Posts: 17,727
    patb wrote: »
    Different writing team and it showed, very poor IMHO but the bar was set high with some of the classic Knowing Me Knowing You episodes

Yes, I'm perhaps going against the grain here from other members' opinions, but I think Knowing Me Knowing You is the very best of Partridge. I think the character was just made for that set-up where everything went wrong on live TV.

I guess that this new series This Time with Alan Partridge is trying to replicate that success and high point but as of episode one at least it has patently failed.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have the Alan Partridge boxset, I'm Alan Partridge Series 1 is genius not sure that series will be beaten for me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It wasn't vintage AP by a long shot but I enjoyed it, there is potential.

I think we are shooting to high if we expect the heights of IAP 1 & 2 & KMKY.

Coogan as usual though has effortlessly fit back into the skin of Alan.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,102
    Just watched the first episode of This Time I thought it was funny, AP is clearly acting like the robots on BBC Breakfast Time on occasion, AP expressions cracked me up.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 19,339
    The thing is,its on BBC1 which surprised me,as this limits the amount of innuendo etc that they could get away with on BBC2 or SKY.

But I think Alan is eventually going to get very pissed off as his co-host keeps stealing his puns etc,and with 'Sidekick Simon' and Lynn things will get good.

Also with Alan,the more you watch an episode the better it gets,thats always been the case.
    You should just record the whole series and then re-watch it,thats what im doing.

Personally I enjoyed it.
    Especially the way he started to perv over the hygienist's soapy hand washing,shouting for a response for a tweet,and calling the seal expert Miss Clunt and then Miss F*ck.
  • I thought it was fantastic.
    The thing is,its on BBC1 which surprised me,as this limits the amount of innuendo etc that they could get away with on BBC2 or SKY.

But I think Alan is eventually going to get very pissed off as his co-host keeps stealing his puns etc,and with 'Sidekick Simon' and Lynn things will get good.

Also with Alan,the more you watch an episode the better it gets,thats always been the case.
    You should just record the whole series and then re-watch it,thats what im doing.

Personally I enjoyed it.
    Especially the way he started to perv over the hygienist's soapy hand washing,shouting for a response for a tweet,and calling the seal expert Miss Clunt and then Miss F*ck.

Lynn's remark to Jennie was Lynn in evil mode, I have watched the episode twice AP has been put in a more realistic situation relative to some of his other shows, I agree the show airing on BBC 1 will hinder the show a bit.

Personally I enjoyed it.

Lynn's remark to Jennie was Lynn in evil mode, I have watched the episode twice AP has been put in a more realistic situation relative to some of his other shows, I agree the show airing on BBC 1 will hinder the show a bit.

Lynn even slagged off a woman from her church....looks like Alan has finally turned her into a female version of himself haha !!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I enjoyed it. The name mix up with Miss Fluck was hilarious, as well as the attempts to bring up the show's twitter feed, the hygiene documentary and Alan's co-star's frozen smile every time he drops a faux pas.

Yes, Patridge has been better, but watered down AP is better than most things we get.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,102

Personally I enjoyed it.

Lynn even slagged off a woman from her church....looks like Alan has finally turned her into a female version of himself haha !!

What Lynn said was certainly from AP wheelhouse of put downs. Lynn may be now possessive of AP
    NicNac wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. The name mix up with Miss Fluck was hilarious, as well as the attempts to bring up the show's twitter feed, the hygiene documentary and Alan's co-star's frozen smile every time he drops a faux pas.

Yes, Patridge has been better, but watered down AP is better than most things we get.

Any Alan is good and any longevity usually is down to changing things slightly, repetition of the same formula tends to get stale.