Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

Get well soon Arnie!!!!!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Jason Clarke on what the sequel to Genisys would've entailed:

“[T]hey had an idea. What I remember was that second one was going to be about John’s journey after he was taken by Skynet…like going down to what he became; half machine, half man. That’s where the second one was going to start, and that’s about all I knew.”
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There are really only two good Terminator movies: T2 and Genisys.
    There are really only two good Terminator movies: T2 and Genisys.

Past the subversion of expectations, I didn't like Genisys. What didn't you care for about the original? I love that one.
    I really liked it when it first was shown in the cinema, but revisiting it wasn t that great. So much tacky 80s cheese.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Genisys was the worst one as far as I'm concerned, for the simple fact it decided to forget everything which came before it, though admittedly it was entertaining enough, but I have no interest in watching it again.
    Salvation was the worst for me.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Genisys and Rise of the Machines were just terribly bad films for my taste. I enjoyed Salvation for what it was and it had some cracking action sequences. Though I tend to view everything after T2 as separate, so it doesn't matter anyway.
    The new Terminator has been pushed from July 2019 to November 22nd, 2019:

http://deadline.com/2018/04/terminator-james-cameron-reboot-thanksgiving-release-1202360150/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well, I had a pretty fun time with all of them except T3... but there can really be only two.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The new Terminator has been pushed from July 2019 to November 22nd, 2019:

http://deadline.com/2018/04/terminator-james-cameron-reboot-thanksgiving-release-1202360150/
    Even more competition for B25.
    I think they just need to stop retreading old ground. Okay keep Arnie he's the face of it but leave the Connors and all that in the past.

Something different that I think could be cool: set it after the war. So John Connor's long dead, society's started to rebuild. Post-post apocalypse like the Fallout games are. Traumatised vets, a couple of decaying purposeless terminators and other machines still knocking about, paranoia about Skynet somehow coming back, weird religious cults actually trying to bring it back. I think there's lots of potential there.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I completely forgot about this deleted scene :))
    edited April 2018 Posts: 40,372
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I genuinely assumed they'd make that canon and Schwarzenegger would be playing a human in this next one, before they confirmed his return as a cyborg.

Diego Boneta has joined the new reboot/revival:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/936455-diego-boneta-join-terminator-reboot
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I genuinely assumed they'd make that canon and Schwarzenegger would be playing a human in this next one, before they confirmed his return as a cyborg.

I was 100% convinced they would for Genysis.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/936455-diego-boneta-join-terminator-reboot

The next one which is technically Terminator 3 now could do that or something similar, I suspect Arnie will be playing a human role.

The next one which is technically Terminator 3 now could do that or something similar, I suspect Arnie will be playing a human role.

You do mean this upcoming film? If so, someone has already confirmed (I believe it was Schwarzenegger himself) that he's playing a cyborg, not a human.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

You do mean this upcoming film? If so, someone has already confirmed (I believe it was Schwarzenegger himself) that he's playing a cyborg, not a human.

Why can’t he play both?

Was not sure what Arnie was playing, only read a few news stories on the film.
    With the new Halloween movie boasting ‘it captures the tone of the first’ I have to say, I wish we could do that with Terminator.
    The first one could be considered a horror movie, on top of sci-fi & action.
    With the new Halloween movie boasting ‘it captures the tone of the first’ I have to say, I wish we could do that with Terminator.

I definitely view the original as a horror movie. I know any sort of remake of the original would be inferior, but I wouldn't mind seeing another neo-noir sort of horror story set in a city, with some unlucky civilian attempting to flee from a Terminator and survive.

Think of a Terminator movie set in the 1970's or 80's, directed by Denis Villeneuve, with a similar story in Los Angeles or NYC. That'd be gold.

I definitely view the original as a horror movie. I know any sort of remake of the original would be inferior, but I wouldn't mind seeing another neo-noir sort of horror story set in a city, with some unlucky civilian attempting to flee from a Terminator and survive.

Think of a Terminator movie set in the 1970's or 80's, directed by Denis Villeneuve, with a similar story in Los Angeles or NYC. That'd be gold.

A noir type thing would be cool. I do think they should switch genres again. That's why Aliens and Terminator 2 were such good sequels, they didn't try to copy the original, they did something different.
    @thelivingroyale, agreed: take what worked, expand on it and give it your own unique twist so it's not a complete copycat. Couldn't agree more.
    Just the idea of this unstoppable thing coming from the future to kill you, just from something you haven’t even done yet, is terrifying!
    They should run with that concept!
    Just the idea of this unstoppable thing coming from the future to kill you, just from something you haven’t even done yet, is terrifying!

@Master_Dahark, right? Reese's speech to Sarah in the parking garage further heightens that horror feel:

"It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear. And it absolutely will not stop ever, until you are dead."

An unstoppable killing machine with one goal and one goal only: cutting you down. Speaking of you saying "...just from something you haven't even done yet" makes me think of Miles' line when he's getting interrogated in the sequel: "You're judging me on things I haven't even done yet."
    Hell yes @Creasy47
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the idea of a ‘good Terminator’ should have happened ONCE, in T2, and never again.
    Arnold plays a great bad guy!
    Hell yes @Creasy47
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: the idea of a ‘good Terminator’ should have happened ONCE, in T2, and never again.

I always think it's a shame they spoiled that twist in the marketing material, but I guess there was really no way to logically cut promotional footage for the film without giving it away to some degree. Same with, to my surprise, seeing original trailers for GE that totally showcase the twist right off the bat.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hell yes @Creasy47

Agreed.

@Master_Dahark, right? Reese's speech to Sarah in the parking garage further heightens that horror feel:

"It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear. And it absolutely will not stop ever, until you are dead."

An unstoppable killing machine with one goal and one goal only: cutting you down. Speaking of you saying "...just from something you haven't even done yet" makes me think of Miles' line when he's getting interrogated in the sequel: "You're judging me on things I haven't even done yet."
    The cool thing about the first film is that the film as such does exactly that: It´s an unstoppable killing machine that doesn´t ever stop. From the third film on, that idea is completely lost.

Why don t they send nanobots instead?