Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If only he had a machine gun.
    I popped CR into the Blu-ray player last night and now my controversial opinion is the CR Parkour chase is the best action sequence of the series. It's just adrenalizing and shows the new Bond as tough, persistent and a determined badass. It also showcases what Bond films prior were so good at - showcasing something people were little or unfamiliar with in parkour.

Another opinion, not sure how controversial, CR is the best combination of precredit teaser, credits and opening of the film proper in the series. I'd count OHMSS and TLD in there too. Will we ever see another precredits sequence that happens in just 3:30?
    BT3366 wrote: »
    I popped CR into the Blu-ray player last night and now my controversial opinion is the CR Parkour chase is the best action sequence of the series. It's just adrenalizing and shows the new Bond as tough, persistent and a determined badass. It also showcases what Bond films prior were so good at - showcasing something people were little or unfamiliar with in parkour.

Another opinion, not sure how controversial, CR is the best combination of precredit teaser, credits and opening of the film proper in the series. I'd count OHMSS and TLD in there too. Will we ever see another precredits sequence that happens in just 3:30?

I'd be all for that. Much as i like SP pts both CR and especially QOS were better! Boyle might resort to a shorter sequence!
    CR does have a great opening, as does GF.
    Personally i am partial to the PTS of : TB,DAF,FYEO,OP,TLD,TND,TWINE,CR & QOS...

They are the ones i like best.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Personally i am partial to the PTS of : TB,DAF,FYEO,OP,TLD,TND,TWINE,CR & QOS...

Spot on! Love all of these.

If you left out DAF TND and TWINE, I would agree barry!
    1. CR
    2. GR
    3. TSWLM
    4. TLD
    5. GF
    6. FYEO
    7. SP
    8. QOS
    9. SF
    10. TB

7-9 are interchangeable basically. The only PTSes I don’t much care for are YOLT’s and DAF’s. Even AVTAK’s has grown on me.
    Do we have a PTS rating thread on here or should i make one ?...im engrossed in SF atm so havent checked .
    I’d love to try ranking them all.
    OK hang on,i will create one .
    FoxRox wrote: »

Done,but a small margin ;)

Thats a no then according to the mods...shut down before i could fart.

Trying to be specific and narrow it down as an interesting experiment didnt work.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2018 Posts: 6,801
    To be quite honest, I think I like every single PTS of the franchise to at least some extend. Don’t dislike any of them. Same goes for the title sequences actually.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Trying to be specific and narrow it down as an interesting experiment didnt work.
    No one's stopping you from doing so in the pre-existing thread. Just trying to avoid clutter, that's all.
    jake24 wrote: »

No one's stopping you from doing so in the pre-existing thread. Just trying to avoid clutter, that's all.

Not a problem Jake,i didnt notice the thread when i checked,watching SF caught me out and i missed it,once i checked.
    Good catch and i know clutter is a pain,so well done :)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It exists, but I don't know how far back.
    Linked it in Barry's thread.
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 12,837

My favourites are

GF- Short and sweet but the tux under the wetsuit, Bond calmly lighting up as the bomb goes off and then positively shocking. So cool.

TSWLM- One of the best stunts of the series.

TLD- Just so good. What better way to introduce Dalton than show him literally throwing himself into it.

LTK- Great stunt with the plane fishing, establishes Sanchez's ruthlessness straight away, perfect way to set up my favourite Bond film.

GE- Okay, it makes no sense, the blue screen is crap and it's definitely a case of super Bond. But the bungee jump is cool, I love the dialogue, and the whole thing is just so badass.

TWINE- The bankers office might be Brosnan's best scene, going from bad puns to ruthless assassin in like a second, and the escape is clever. One of the best uses of the Bond theme. But then the titles don't start so you're left thinking okay, something isn't right, the uneasiness builds right up to the bomb going off. Queue the boat chase through London which I thought was so cool at the time, seeing Bond on home turf, and the corcscrew spiral thing he does over cigar girls boat is a really underrated stunt. And then the balloon bit is brilliant, really sells Renard as a threat (and then the film brilliantly subverts this later on). Probably my favourite.

DAD- The surfing makes no sense but it's a cool stunt. I like the how Moon is introduced with the punch bag. The hovercraft chase is cool and seeing Bond actually get captured for a change and then the lead into the titles (before Madonna starts singing) is great.

CR- Not a fan of the origin story angle so I could have lived without these being his first two kills but the bathroom fight is brilliant. The black and white always felt like a bit of a needless gimmick to me though, and I think overall the parkour would have made a better PTS. Still one of my favourites because of the bathroom fight, the way he coldly kills Dryden and the brilliant gunbarrel at the end.

SP- Almost I love about Bond in one great sequence. That tracking shot is amazing and I think the helicopter fight is underrated. I remember watching it and thinking this already feels more kinetic and hard hitting than any of the fight scenes in SF.
    Regarding PTS I find them overlong now and wished we had shorter ones and not always related to the main plot.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Regarding PTS I find them overlong now and wished we had shorter ones and not always related to the main plot.
    I totally agree. It should be easy enough to do, and being different from the main plot, a very short vignette, is powerful, and sometimes a way to get some humor in. Perhaps with more recent Bond films the scriptwriters felt they had too much story to tell and thus began it in the PTS. If they did it before, they can do it again. I think the films would benefit.
    Thrasos wrote: »
    I totally agree. It should be easy enough to do, and being different from the main plot, a very short vignette, is powerful, and sometimes a way to get some humor in. Perhaps with more recent Bond films the scriptwriters felt they had too much story to tell and thus began it in the PTS. If they did it before, they can do it again. I think the films would benefit.

I think that's why they made the PTS part of the main plot: because they have a lot to tell, or think so.
    The pts has only been independent of the main plot in a quarter of the films.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117

I count:

GF
    TMWTGG
    FYEO
    OP

• edited April 2018 Posts: 1,469
    Part of the MR PTS.
    TND and CR
    TMWTGG is linked to the main plot as it sets up the villains,the victim and the funhouse.

GF,FYEO,OP are the only 3 i think...and they are all good !!

I count:

GF
    TMWTGG
    FYEO
    OP

I'd say TB as well. Bouvard is a SPECTRE agent but his killing is not relevant to the plot.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    TMWTGG is linked to the main plot as it sets up the villains,the victim and the funhouse.

I would say TMWTGG is the same as FRWL in setting up the villains put having no bearing on the plot at all except that in TMWTGG you need to see the Bond mannequin having his fingers blown off so that you rumble that Bond has switched places a few moments before Scaramanga does.

I count:

GF
    TMWTGG
    FYEO
    OP

I'd say TB as well. Bouvard is a SPECTRE agent but his killing is not relevant to the plot.
    If Bond doesn't get hit by the poker in the PTS he doesn't go to Shrublands and doesn't rumble SPECTRE's plot with Angelo.

I would say TMWTGG is the same as FRWL in setting up the villains put having no bearing on the plot at all except that in TMWTGG you need to see the Bond mannequin having his fingers blown off so that you rumble that Bond has switched places a few moments before Scaramanga does.

Then thats a link,Wiz ... ;)