Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I've been playing the PS3 version of Skyrim, which I've heard is objectively the worst version, but all I've come across is some minor pop-in and menu lag.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Brady Which Bethesda games have you had a problem with? Because I hear this a lot but Skyrim and Fallout 4 were fine for me. The only one I remember being really glitchy at first was Fallout New Vegas but still, 1 in 4 isn't bad and from what I remember they sorted it quickly.

They're just not well developed games, that's all, from a technical perspective. I've never seen a playthrough of a Bethesda game go well, with crashes or lost saves being far more prevalent than any triple-A game would ever allow, and that has everything to do with the devs sticking to their outdated and poor engine for too long which is basically why so many issues persist. You would think that they'd join the 21st century and all the other developers at this point and really improve their engine to make their games more capable of supporting the massive worlds they create.

It's a bit like how Telltale finally had to step back, take a break and rework their own engine after the one they had for so many years could logistically no longer support the size of game they were outputting without causing massive issues when gamers tried to play them. I think Fallout 4 was the first Bethesda developed game to have an altered engine (don't quote me on that) but I think they could still create a new one from the ground up that would really make their games as good technically as fans think they are narratively because where they're at now feels years behind everyone else, including Rockstar and NaughtyDog who are both about as close to a high level of narrative and technical expertise as any others. The games Bethesda publishes, like Wolfenstein or DOOM, are gorgeous and those are the kinds of effective and well designed engines they should be using on their games as well, not the yesteryear equipment of a bygone age in gaming.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Doom and Wolfenstein succeed more thanks to id than Bethesda.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Doom and Wolfenstein succeed more thanks to id than Bethesda.

Absolutely. My comment was only to say that they should ask the devs of those projects to make them an engine that is competent and can run an open world.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Awesome can't wait for this I still play Burnout Paradise backward compatibility on Xbox One X

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/20/17032438/burnout-paradise-remastered-release-date-trailer-ps4-xbox-one-pc
    Just had a look on the PSN today and saw that Sony is running a massive sale until the end of the month (the 27th) with a lot of great titles.

I saw that the Game of the Year edition of the latest Hitman was just $23.99, a massive steal in my book, and I'm very tempted to leap on it. Haven't made any moves yet, but the counsel of those familiar with the game who could argue for its quality is welcomed. I'm not very knowledgable about Hitman in general and have only played Absolution, but from the gameplay I've seen the new game is interesting and looks to be a challenge. All I've got left to beat is The Witcher 3, so Hitman could be my next focus along with the new Assassin's Creed, though I see myself purchasing the latter only if there's a sale bumping it to around $30 to $35 later in the year (I may even just wait for a GOTY edition). Anything to make the wait for the Spider-Man game or Red Dead 2 less arduous.

I also winced when I saw that Mass Effect: Andromeda was on sale for just $10. Ouch. But with that price point maybe more people will finally give it another chance?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Hitman: Abomination was horrid. They tried to make the Hitman games appeal to gamers who didn't like the Hitman series. Hitman was a return to form, but Hitman: Blood Money is still my favourite Hitman game.

I still haven't got around to playing Assassin's Creed: Origins. I have my Deluxe Edition copy waiting, but I am still working my way through AC: Syndicate.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Absolution had a great story for a one-off. But, on condition it stays a one-off, I'll appreciate it as an interactive Hitman movie rather than a video game. While I love Hitman (2016), I don't like where the story is going... "It was me... aaaaalll me! The author of all your pain!". I think they should stop with this "blast from the past" BS in any form of fiction.
    Just had a look on the PSN today and saw that Sony is running a massive sale until the end of the month (the 27th) with a lot of great titles.

I saw that the Game of the Year edition of the latest Hitman was just $23.99, a massive steal in my book, and I'm very tempted to leap on it. Haven't made any moves yet, but the counsel of those familiar with the game who could argue for its quality is welcomed. I'm not very knowledgable about Hitman in general and have only played Absolution, but from the gameplay I've seen the new game is interesting and looks to be a challenge. All I've got left to beat is The Witcher 3, so Hitman could be my next focus along with the new Assassin's Creed, though I see myself purchasing the latter only if there's a sale bumping it to around $30 to $35 later in the year (I may even just wait for a GOTY edition). Anything to make the wait for the Spider-Man game or Red Dead 2 less arduous.

I also winced when I saw that Mass Effect: Andromeda was on sale for just $10. Ouch. But with that price point maybe more people will finally give it another chance?

Dammit, you had to tell me about this sale, didn't you? $40 later, I've run out of PS3 Resident Evil games to wish I had...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

You should definitely pick it up for such a low price. That's an absolute steal.

Dammit, you had to tell me about this sale, didn't you? $40 later, I've run out of PS3 Resident Evil games to wish I had...
    @Agent007391, in my defense I think that sale you're speaking of is the Capcom one that is separate from the big Sony sale I'm speaking about. Am I forgiven?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

You should definitely pick it up for such a low price. That's an absolute steal.
    @Creasy47, I'm about 87% on board with giving it a purchase. I imagine I will by the time the 27th rolls around.
    I actually didn't know that. Either way, my wallet's $40 lighter.
    Well, one should treat oneself now and again.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Possible new Splinter Cell coming this year...?

https://www.techradar.com/news/a-2018-splinter-cell-listing-has-appeared-on-amazon

I'd be happy even if it turns out to be a remake of the original game.
    Hoping so
    Let's just hope they've got Ironside this time. It was a dumb move above all dumb moves to drop him the last time, despite the fact that even he couldn't save the material.
    They do have Ironside this time. That was stated two years ago, I believe. :)
    I must be one of the few fans to have enjoyed Blacklist, even with the absence of Ironside.

Ironside was spotted at Ubi HQ for a "secret project", so I think it is safe to assume that he most likely will be back as Sam Fisher. He only left, because apparently, he wasn't happy with the overly action packed Conviction. With that in mind, and the at best, lukewarm reception of Blacklist, I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft were bending over backwards to please Ironside, by returning the series to its stealthy roots.
    Major, I enjoyed Blacklist, too. And I definitely prefer it to Conviction, any day of the week.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Major, I enjoyed Blacklist, too. And I definitely prefer it to Conviction, any day of the week.

After playing Blacklist it immediately became my favorite and I have played them all. For me it's equal with Chaos Theory
    00Agent wrote: »
    After playing Blacklist it immediately became my favorite and I have played them all. For me it's equal with Chaos Theory
    Hear Hear!

Nice to see someone else enjoyed Blacklist. With it being an XBX exclusive, I never got to play Conviction. But I have watched many Youtube videos of it, and it looks like it tried to appeal more to fans of action games (not unlike Hitman: Abomination). Whereas Blacklist also tried to appeal to the same fans, but at the same time, appeal to fans of stealth games. Every time I play Blacklist, I never build Fisher's gear for all-out warfare, I always go for stealth.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Double Agent was always my favorite
    Loved Double Agent, as well. Every version of it, in fact.

Heck, I remember playing the mobile version on my old Nokia N73 some ten years ago. Good times! Good times! :))
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Oh yeah the mobile versions of Chaos Theory(?) and Double Agent were quite nice
    While not technically the peak of the series (that would be Chaos Theory), Pandora Tomorrow is my favourite.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I rented both Chaos Theory and Pandora Tomorrow when they came out but I don't remember much from them besides a dusk jungle level in Pandora Tomorrow and a level in Chaos Theory in which you were in an office building and had to avoid everything.
    Black list was my fav
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A new installment or a remastered version of the older ones - whatever it is, I'm buying it.
    I've considered buying the PS3 remaster of Splinter Cell 1-3, anybody here recommend it?