007: What would you have done differently?

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I often wonder what it would have been like if the director's job had been given to a Japanese director. Maybe a Yasuharu Hasebe or a Seijun Suzuki type, both working in the Nikkatsu Action Cinema genre at the time. Would be interesting I think.
    Nothing it one of the best Bond movies.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 12,914
    Very interesting comments, I enjoyed this a lot.

"This book is so good!" His first Fleming book read. And he's right.
  • So I'm sorry to everyone to have let this discussion go on a hiatus, but been quite busy, but I'm glad to say we can now carry on and now it's time to move onto ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE.

OHMSS-poster-large-landscape.jpg

Again, this is your chance to say whatever you would have done differently with the film, so things like; plot changes, character additions or subtractions. Anything you like. People will be given the chance to give their responses within 7 DAYS from today (this may change so let me know if you want me to extend the time for longer) until the discussion moves on to the next James Bond film. This will run until we reach SKYFALL as a discussion for SPECTRE already exists.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,157
    I would use all Barry's cues from the soundtrack (both Dusk at Piz Gloria and Battle at Piz Gloria are cut, see the video below for example).

I can see why Peter Hunt decided to put the Bond theme during the movie's climax. Up to that moment, the Bond theme had only been heard during the PTS and briefly during "Bond meets Draco" and "Bond settles in". But I wish he asked John Barry write a new arrangement as I feel that Norman's version is somewhat outdated and the way it's cut/edited during the climax is somewhat odd. Still, Barry's original track is gorgeous.

Also, I think Draco punching his daughter should have been left out.

Finally, I wish Lazenby had not been dubbed as he posed as Sir Hilary since that's very noticeable.

That said, OHMSS is pretty much perfect.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,380
    Give Connery the script and 5 million dollars.

Other than that, it's a phenomenal Bond film
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Make it after OHMSS for sure. The whole Volano thing is pretty cool and more exciting, even the rocket plot. But I would have portrayed Blofeld differently. Maybe back then the reception was different but I would have expected somebody else behind those metal curtains in TB than what we ultimately saw in YOLT.

The rest is fine - imho a direct adaption of the novel would have been not spectacular enough for the 60s ... would work better with Craig‘s character-driven approach of our times
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So I'm sorry to everyone to have let this discussion go on a hiatus, but been quite busy, but I'm glad to say we can now carry on and now it's time to move onto ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE.

OHMSS-poster-large-landscape.jpg

Again, this is your chance to say whatever you would have done differently with the film, so things like; plot changes, character additions or subtractions. Anything you like. People will be given the chance to give their responses within 7 DAYS from today (this may change so let me know if you want me to extend the time for longer) until the discussion moves on to the next James Bond film. This will run until we reach SKYFALL as a discussion for SPECTRE already exists.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

I used to have that poster on my wall.

Only things I would change: No screeching tires on sand, cut out the breaching of the 4th wall and don t blare the Bond theme at the end.
    Milovy wrote: »

If it worked for Fleming, it can work in the films.)

PussyNoMore agrees violently with the imminently sensible Milovy.
    They should have simply made the movies faithful to the books - that is what they should have done differently!

Instead, with the possible exception of FRWL & OHMSS we have had to endure varying levels of nonsense.
  • Anyone want to give some more feedback before we move on?
  • Anyone want to give some more feedback before we move on?

Just to note the script had things different than the film.

--Foot chase with Sir Hilary's assistant, secretly working for Blofeld.

--Bond and MI6 staging an accident with a rail coach car full of corpses.

--Changes of dialogue in key scenes.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/ohmss-script-train-of-the-dead-other-surprises/
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 538
    To catch up on one's I've missed:

Dr. No - a tank that actually looked like a dragon

From Russia With Love - Get rid of the catfight scene. Too long.

Goldfinger - perfect as is

Thunderball - cut out 20 mins of underwater footage

You Only Live Twice - cut out that stupid helicopter that looks like a grown man sitting on one those toy airplane machines that kids ride on outside the supermarket for 25 cents.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - the staff could have shown lazenby some more respect
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Pick another actor for the main role - even after close to fifty years, I just don't "buy" Lazenby as a smart, refined secret agent. Remove the stupid dubbing with the "real" Sir Hilary's voice. Cut out the breaking of the fourth wall. Spare us "Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown".

As OHMSS is pretty high up on my list in spite of these issues (especially the first one mentioned), it might have turned out to give FRWL a run for being the best of them all.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Pick another actor for the main role - even after close to fifty years, I just don't "buy" Lazenby as a smart, refined secret agent. Remove the stupid dubbing with the "real" Sir Hilary's voice. Cut out the breaking of the fourth wall. Spare us "Do You Know How Christmas Trees are Grown".

As OHMSS is pretty high up on my list in spite of these issues (especially the first one mentioned), it might have turned out to give FRWL a run for being the best of them all.

Lazenby was a hell of a lot better than the incarnation of Connery that came after him.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    IMO, none of the other Bond actors (outside of CR '67) was as bad as Lazenby. Whoever it is you are referring to.
    Give me Lazenby over Brossa any day!
    I'm not sure Brozza (my No. 4 as an actor portraying the James Bond I fathom) could have done OHMSS, and I'm sure that Rog (my No. 5) could not have done it. But they're both far better actors than Laz, and they were quite good in the movies they made...unlike Laz (my No. 6), the perennial weak spot of OHMSS. But quite definitely: to each his own.
    We all know how the feud between Lazenby and Brosnan started. With Brosnan saying the one Bond film he would like to remake was OHMSS, as it wasn t very good.
    I wouldn't have Blofeld flirt with Tracy. He should be asexual and too smart to fall for this.
    1. Given the movie a proper sequel.

2. Include the part of the novel where Bond uses his watch as a weapon.

Otherwise I love every frame of OHMSS.
    CrzChris4 wrote: »

2. Include the part of the novel where Bond uses his watch as a weapon.

That was a scene cut from QOS, I believe.
    --Bond and MI6 staging an accident with a rail coach car full of corpses.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/ohmss-script-train-of-the-dead-other-surprises/
    Enjoyed reading that account of Maibaum's script development, @AlexanderWaverly. Still, I'm not understanding the concept of the staging of a train accident with real corpses. Maybe why it wasn't filmed.
    That was a scene cut from QOS, I believe.

I think it was going to be used in the sinking house in CR if I recall - I think a scene like that could've been a highlight of either Lazenby or Craig's take on the character.
    Very troubling. Where was EON planning to get hold of real corpses?
    Careful, folks will begin electing candidates.
    Real Bond fans should of course donate their bodies to EON for use in future films.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

My freezer of course.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

My freezer of course.

Again? Anyway, thank you for your contribution to the series.
    Not overdubbing poor old George Lazenby...(secretly, or now not secretly , I would've hoped this to star Connery)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

My freezer of course.

Again? Anyway, thank you for your contribution to the series.

Sadly it was never used in the end.