spectre is kinda sexy... for the first half

peterpeter Toronto
edited March 2018 in SPECTRE Posts: 8,255
I don't expect the "haters" to get this thread, so this may not be the place to stop for you;

After reading the leaked emails of the development of Spectre, one could be under the impression that it was to become the "special" child of the series-- as in, oh s***, not good.

I certainly came into this next viewing thinking as such (would MR and DAD be better than this mess that I've recently read about??)

There are issues of course-- kill C and 9Eyes-- but, watching the film now (editing C out), and we have an A-1 Bond film. Craig is tops, and driven, and looks good; the PTS is a solid entry; his theft of the AM is wonderful; approaching the widow at the funeral, assassinating her assassins, and then bedding the widow was very Fleming'esque.

Apart from the typical haters of SP and DC in particular, what do others think about this first half of SPECTRE?

(I am watching the rest tonight to ask opinions on the second half).

All points of view are accepted-- just don't be ignorant dicks when explaining where you're coming from, and be educated rather than a simpleton who just wants to be a contrarian, please.

P

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    It's a thrilling, classy Bond film. Fun, shows some new stuff, celebrates the past, a lot to enjoy.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ... thank you @RichardTheBruce
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I love the first half of Spectre as well. After the Mr. White scene is when it takes a bad turn
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    There's many hints of a great film in there, but it is ultimately flawed - Lots of great little moments but feels half-baked at times. The classic and overused example is the completely wasted hypercar chase that could have been the action highlight of the movie, but instead become an admittedly "funny the first time" comedy but frustrating "what could have been" on future viewings. And that's what the whole films feels like.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    The car chase. Smoothly different than some ammo-charged destruction-laden bullet-ridden sequence. In some ways that's a relief and allows for other action (and property damage) to develop later on.

So I like the contrast from this. And especially the levity. Very welcome.
    It's a thrilling, classy Bond film. Fun, shows some new stuff, celebrates the past, a lot to enjoy.
    That's it.
This discussion has been closed.