Last James Bond track or theme you listened to...

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Arnold's African rundown and time to get out. Great pieces of music.

My favourite track from CR is African Rundown that whole sequence was Craig's Bond at his best
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    A Night at the Opera...imho Arnold’s best Bond piece, by far.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,105
    TripAces wrote: »
    A Night at the Opera...imho Arnold’s best Bond piece, by far.

The build up with this theme is excellent, QoS over all is the best Arnold score IMO.

#BringArnoldBack
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,241
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Agree! Don't see much discussion about the TB score, but it's probably my favourite score, alongside OHMSS. It's very interesting how different those two scores are, even though they have that trademark Barry sound.
    Thunderball is a terrific score. It's interesting to compare with its immediate predecessor, Goldfinger. Whereas GF mostly used the eponymous title song and the Bond theme as its main recurring themes (with fleeting uses of the Oddjob motif and a suspenseful 4-chord progression played on brass), TB has a much greater number of recurring themes: the title song, the Bond theme, Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, the 007 theme, the flute theme for the underwater sequences, the Vulcan theme... even the unused car chase music counts as a recurring action theme if one considers it was also used for the PTS fight music. TB offers a larger, more elaborate score in which the title song isn't as omnipresent and varied in its uses as in GF, but is only one component of a larger series of musical ideas.

TB also has quite a different sound from GF. Where GF is bright, TB is "duller," more muted and sinister in its sound, in both string and brass passages.

Finally, the TB score is distinguished by its underwater cues; slow-paced, moody and evocative. They achieve probably the highest ideal in film music-- not only scoring the action and drama effectively but going a step beyond to take the main aesthetic elements of the film and transforming them into musical ideas. The flutes, harps, vibraphones and strings almost pop out of one's ears and allow one to visualize the idea of being underwater. I was just listening to Jerry Goldsmith's main title music for Medicine Man (starring Sean Connery, of course) and thinking that Goldsmith did a terrific job in using synthesizers to capture the essence of the sounds of the jungle and integrating them into his music. Pretty much what John Barry did with Thunderball.

As an aside, it's interesting to point out that Barry considered his score for 1977's The Deep to be one of his most difficult assignments, supposedly because of the great amount of underwater screentime. I wonder if Thunderball presented similar, albeit smaller challenges. I imagine underwater scenes are difficult to score because musically-speaking, the composer has to do some heavy lifting, given the reduced stimuli on a visual and narrative level.

Interesting read, and I agree on all points here. GF is more "predictable" (if that can ever be said of Barry!), compared to all the themes of TB. It never stops surprising me how well Barry made all those themes work so well together. Guess a "normal" composer would just use some of them and be happy. The more sinister sound of TB also works well with Bond doing more detective work in this one - taking pictures of Largo's boat and all. A grand score for a big movie!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    There's unused car chase music for Thunderball?
    Agree! Don't see much discussion about the TB score, but it's probably my favourite score, alongside OHMSS. It's very interesting how different those two scores are, even though they have that trademark Barry sound.

This made me try to find the «Mr. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang» song that was supposed to be the main theme for TB. Luckily both the Shirley Bassey version and the Dionne Warwick version was available on Youtube. Although we (luckily) got «Thunderball» with Tom Jones in the end, I must say that I liked this song – especially the Warwick version.

When I watch TB I often play the audio alternative that allows you to play Mister Kiss Kiss Bang over the title sequence, I like both tracks though Warwick is slightly better than Tom Jones in this instance. Mister Kiss Kiss Bang is a brilliant song.

It really is - we are spoiled when the unused main title theme is that good!
    What release of TB allows you to play an alternative audio track?

I have the Bond50 Bluray Boxset, though I would guess any Bluray version of TB will do it. When you play the film just toggle through the many commentarys until you hear the track. I can't remember if any of the DVD's had the same option.

Will have to check, as I only have Bond on DVD's. Fantastic if this is an option on DVD's, also!
  • neonmartinineonmartini Classified
    Time To Get Out

That song has some undertones of Michael Giaccinno on it, especially around the part when the police notices the skirmish going on between Bond and the assassins.
    Last part of track 13 of the expanded album. Intended for the chase with Bond and Lippe.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited April 2018 Posts: 16,328

@PropertyOfALady, I used it in my FYEO PTS Rescore. It begins after Blofeld says "Good Afternoon, Mr. Bond."
    Last part of track 13 of the expanded album. Intended for the chase with Bond and Lippe.

Is it the track named «Gunbarrel/Traction Table/Gassing the Plane/Car Chase»?

Yes.
    A small portion of the car chase track was used.
    Murdock wrote: »

Yes.

I see! Hadn't though of that - even with «Car Chase» included in the name of the track.
    vzok wrote: »
    A small portion of the car chase track was used.

Where? It's been a while since I saw TB, so I can't remember.
    The track covers Bond leaving Shrublands then ends with Fiona ditching the motorbike. Two very short pieces.
    vzok wrote: »
    The track covers Bond leaving Shrublands then ends with Fiona ditching the motorbike. Two very short pieces.

Thanks! Will try to listen more carefully to the score in that sequence next time around. :)

Beautiful

Beautiful

Great score elevates the film
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,105

It's a bad track that's good

Listening to my Bond play list which is every Score on shuffle, Trespassers will be eaten just played, I always jump up when hear it, it has been my ring tone for a few years ;))
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited April 2018 Posts: 23,105

Not heard that version it's pretty good, I am partial to Fun Lovin Criminals very chilled out cover.

Skyfall Ifly / Coca Cola Promo Music

I was half expecting to see a train advert, though if memory serves I am thinking of the Heineken ad? I am sure that was for SF also?

I was half expecting to see a train advert, though if memory serves I am thinking of the Heineken ad? I am sure that was for SF also?

It was for one of their websites if I recall correctly. Great tune. That would have rocked in the movie.
    I got the track from their website.

It was for one of their websites if I recall correctly. Great tune. That would have rocked in the movie.

It's certainly more interesting than some of the tracks in the film.

Time to do a new rescore methinks. ;)
  • edited April 2018 Posts: 6,682

It was for a section of the iFly magazine website promoting a Coca Cola-Skyfall related sweepstakes.

I remember back in the day people were discussing if it was an actual cue from the film. It certainly wasn't since you can hear it's all synth instruments (especially the flutes). Then the idea was thrown around that maybe it was a synth mockup from an actual Newman composition from Skyfall, but in retrospective that was always going to be unlikely-- Newman lending potentially unfinished cues for promotional purposes, and at such an early stage. Interesting to look at the speculation with the perspective of a few years having gone by.

Anyway, it's a rather lovely cue.

Time to do a new rescore methinks. ;)
    I can see it working well in the Shanghai airport/car driving scene from Skyfall.
    Is it known who did the Coca-Cola music?