What kind of Bond fan are you?

edited March 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,082
A guy in the swedish forum I come from created a thread like this, so I´m basically copying him. I thought it could be interesting. An added poll would be appreciated.

Group 1: The Fleming (only) fans
Criticise the movies a whole lot. Sometimes they wonder if the even like the movie-007.
They are very critical to Roger Moore, while Dalton is very highly regarded. He is often these fans´ favorite Bond.
Connery is also quite popular. Dr No, FRWL, TLD and LTK are the films that really capture the atmosphere of the books.
OHMSS is also quite common at the top of these fans´ lists, cause it follows the book well, while Lazenby is criticised.
If the filmmakers ignore the books, they will experience the wrath of these fans. These fans don´t like spectacular movies like YOLT and TSWLM, while GF is at most ok. They regard MR, TMWTGG, DAF and DAD as pure nonsense, and movies like LALD, AVTAK and OP are only slightly more popular. Brosnan and his movies are also considered to be of low quality. These fans dislike more movies than any other group. Some of them are not sure of Craig, since Bond is supposed to be more brutal, while there are things in 2006 that are too different from the 1950´s.

Group 2: The liberal Fleming fans
Often share the same opinions as the fans i group 1, but allow more non-Fleming material. Roger Moore is still criticised, but isn´t entirely hated. These fans don´t like the comic approach that the Bond series took in the 1970´s and the dislike for MR and similar movies is still present. This group thinks that copying the books in full detail isn´t a must, but the legacy and the Bond character that Fleming created has to incorporated in the movies. A little humor is allowed and Bond is supposed to be human, not a super hero. These fans think that the style of the movies can variate, as long as Bond remains the same charachter as the one in the books.

Group 3: The conservative Bond fans
These fans might have read Fleming, but they regard the books and movies to be two different things. Bond doesn´t have to be the same man in the movies as in the books. Connery is almost always these fans´ favorite Bond, with Roger Moore at either second place or shared first place. They think that the golden era of Bond from 1962-1987. LTK and Brosnan´s movies are not popular among these fans. The series might have experienced a slight raise in quality since Craig arrived, though. The movies are allowed the be OTT, as long as the standard set by the first three movies is followed. Dalton and Brosnan are not popular among these fans, especially not Dalton.

Group 4: The C/C fans
Connery was the god of Bond and no one has been close to his level, until Craig took over the role. Bond is supposed to be a real man with hair on his chest and impressive physique.

Group 5: The popcorn fans
These are fans, and many cinema goers, who don´t care and sometimes don´t even know about the books at all. They think that a Bond movie is supposed to be a popcorn movie with escapism and Connery, Moore or Brosnan as Bond. Bond is supposed to be played by a star with charisma and charm. Films like GF, TSWLM, OP, GE and sometimes DAD are loved by this group. FRWL is too boring and slow, and Dalton is completely wrong for Bond. Lazenby is more popular, but OHMSS is too slow, long and emotional. This group likes Craig but wants him and his movies to be more elegant.
A Bond movie is not supposed to be too deep, even though one serious scene here and there is ok. These fans are not as conservative as the ones in group 3.

Group 6: A View for one Moore
The Bond fanatics who think that Moore could have kept playing Bond for a while longer. The love for Moore is so strong that no arguments change their minds, not even Moore´s age in his last movies. This group hated Dalton and doesn´t like Craig either. Brosnan and Connery suit them fine, however. These fans think that Roger Moore is perfect as Bond and usually also like GF and TB. They wish that every Bond movie was similar to TSWLM.

Group 7: The diplomatic Moore fans
These are fans, and often former Connery fans, who are ashamed to say that Moore is best. He is a guilty pleasure for them. They say that Connery is just as good, to be on the right side of the law, so to say. But deep down they like Moore the most.

Group 8: A transatlantic 1990´s Bond
A group that emerged during the 1990´s, when GE was released to be exact. These fans love Brosnan and the style of LTK, GE and TND, and to a lesser degree, TWINE and DAD. They like the action aspect of 007 and strong female characters. They don´t care for the older movies, but sometimes think that Dalton is allright. The old movies are old-fashioned and boring, even if they can impress from time to time. Bond is supposed to be tough action with charm in the vein of Die Hard. For this group, GE has achieved legendary status.

Group 9: Bond in darkness
Dalton and Craig are praised due to less amount of love. Connery and Moore are criticized a little.
Brosnan is criticized because it was a Bond for every guy, who doesn't understand Bond idea.

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 1,082
    I belong to number 5, and also a little bit to 6. I´d vote for 5, though.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 154
    Number 5 or number 2
    5 mostly - only that I consider DC more then sufficiantly elegant and suave if needed. ;)
  • Group 2
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,882
    I'm in both Groups 1 & 2, but I lean more towards group 1.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm floating somewhere between 2 & 4, but nowhere near 3.
    Mostly group 2
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Mostly group 2 and a bit group 5
    Between 1 and 2. Leaning towards 1 because jury is still out on DC. QOS was a real letdown and he needs to shine in SF. I DO NOT subscribe to open Lazenby-bashing though.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Again, 1 and 2.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Group 6 and 5, with a bit of 2.
    I guess I'm 2
    Looking at the options? I would have to say i am in group 2.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    There should be a poll on this thread.

Absolutely. Does anyone know how to do it?

Pick the group you most belong to, then post the others that you kind of belong to, but aren't as devout as the one you voted for.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I guess I'm group 8 overall, as Dalton is my favourite bond and Brosnan my second favourite.

I agree with a little bit of group 3 though, book bond and film bond don't have to be the same.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited March 2012 Posts: 1,329
    Group 4 and group 7 which kind of contradicts each other but Moore was my favourite as a young lad. >:D<
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Absolutely. Does anyone know how to do it?

Ask and yee shall receive...
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,082
    There is a poll now. Cast your votes.
    Ahh, there isn't group for Dalton and Craig fans.
    That´s probably group 1, I mean that some of those are not sure of Craig. But some also are.
    but I'm not very critical to Moore.
    For me, the „dark“ Bond, Craig's and Dalton's, is the best. A little worse is Moore's/Connery Bond (classical Bond). Then seeks Brosnan's „popular“ Bond for people mass. And OHMSS Bond type is the worst: just lover and husband.
    Group 2
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Group 2 with strong group 1 tendencies and a soupçon of 5.
    W_PPK wrote:
    but I'm not very critical to Moore.
    For me, the „dark“ Bond, Craig's and Dalton's, is the best. A little worse is Moore's/Connery Bond (classical Bond). Then seeks Brosnan's „popular“ Bond for people mass. And OHMSS Bond type is the worst: just lover and husband.

Perhaps number 2 then? It´s very hard to fit into one description.

Maybe could I create? Group 9: Bond in darkness
    Dalton and Craig are praised due less amount of love.
    Connery and Moore are criticized a little.
    Brosnan is criticized because it was a Bond for every guy, who doesn't understand Bond idea.
    If they make it into the poll, so by all means, create it. I can copy what you said and write it into my first message.
    Can't decide which group I belong to....
    At first I'm tempted to say group 8 (the 90's one) but aside from GoldenEye being my first movie, that's where the similarities end. I like all Bond's unconditionally, but for movies I tend to not like as much are the TMWTGG, DAD, DAF types...
    Dalton is my favorite Bond and I've read the Fleming books but none of the others (I'm definitely a movie guy). I don't really bash a movie for not being 'by the book', so to speak.
    Where would I rank?
    A mix between 2 or 8, perhaps. That was a hard one.