Did you ever think to be a spy like James Bond yourself?

masoom007masoom007 Bangladesh
When I read James Bond novels in my school life I was so exited that I was thinking always how I would be a spy like James Bond 007! How was your own feelings?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    When I was a lot younger, yes, before reality took hold of my life and refused to let go! :))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don't think I ever wanted to be a 'James-Bond like spy', I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was growing up. But James Bond did get me interested in Intelligence services, and I guess there are a lot of similarities between the fighter pilot stereotype and James Bond.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Sexy ladies, killing the bad guys, being a beacon of testosterone. Who wouldn’t dream of being Bond.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I have the occasional daydream of course. Unfortunately real life spy work is nowhere near as glamorous or action packed as Bond is 90% of the time. I do enjoy hearing of those rare tales of soldiers and spies that actually did very Bond-like things in the real world, especially during WWII. Most real spy craft seems to involve working an unassuming office job in some foreign government as you steal secrets for your own.

I do still hold on to hope that one day, somehow, I’ll have my heroic Bond moment. Even something as simple as stopping a mugging and popping off with a clever quip right after. One can daydream.
  • This topic thread makes me think of the episodes of TV's "Beverly Hillbillies" where Jethro tries to start a career as a "Double-naught spy." Yes, many of us had that fantasy back in the day -- as @Dragonpol puts it "before reality took hold of my life." I decided I'd rather be a rock & roll star instead...
    I would rather be Simon Templar than 007, Charteris hero had a lot more fun in life. And this comes from the view of a book reader, having all Saint books and Fleming books before I ever saw any of the movies or series on the tv.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,157
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I did want to become a spy when I was ten years old and strongly hyped by The World is Not Enough upon seeing it again on DVD in 2004. That'd be the Special Edition DVD, yes.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I've always been drawn to the investigative and analytical elements of spy work more than the fighting and glamour. I also like travelling, which I used to do a lot for work. Once I noticed a hotel check-in-clerk checking out my Omega (I had the same model as Pierce) and he promptly upgraded me to a suite (it was off-season so I can't imagine it was only on account of the watch but I'd like to think we shared a Bond fandom). While tempted, I resisted being as arrogant as Rog in Rio in MR when accepting his generosity. I certainly felt like Bond then.

I'll always remember the first time I watched Patriot Games. I was captivated by that control room scene which showed the CIA locating and taking out a rogue IRA cell in the desert. Of course these days we see that all the time with drones being quite prevalent in films, but that was the first time I saw something like that and found it quite fascinating. That's the sort of investigative and precision work which interests me. I also enjoyed how he used his expertise to diffuse the near war in Sum Of All Fears.
  • masoom007masoom007 Bangladesh
    I don't think I ever wanted to be a 'James-Bond like spy', I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was growing up. But James Bond did get me interested in Intelligence services, and I guess there are a lot of similarities between the fighter pilot stereotype and James Bond.
    Are you a fighter pilot now?

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I did want to become a spy when I was ten years old and strongly hyped by The World is Not Enough upon seeing it again on DVD in 2004. That'd be the Special Edition DVD, yes.

Uhhh....let's be honest. You're known as The Spyologist on Facebook. We all know you actually ARE one.
  • masoom007masoom007 Bangladesh
    Walecs wrote: »
    Just awesome! I didn't watch it before! Thanks!

Uhhh....let's be honest. You're known as The Spyologist on Facebook. We all know you actually ARE one.
    You're breaking my... cah-cah-cavaah!!!

You sound like that guy at the start of DAF!

Also, I'm the Bondologist and it's nice to meet you. :)
    Dragonpol wrote: »

You sound like that guy at the start of DAF!

Also, I'm the Bondologist and it's nice to meet you. :)
    Yeah, some Scotsman didn't take my silence lightly. ;)

Pleased to meet you, Bondologist!

You're breaking my... cai-cai-CAIRO!

Hit me.

Hit me.

Hit me. Hit me with your rhythm stick. It's nice to be a lunatic. Hit me. Hit me. Hit me.

Hit me.

Hit me. Hit me with your rhythm stick. It's nice to be a lunatic. Hit me. Hit me. Hit me.

:))
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,727

Hit me.

Do you know the song by Ian Dury and the Blockheads?

Did you ever think to be a spy like James Bond yourself?
    Young man, I am a spy like James Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Every time I try to slip out of work early.

Hit me.

You showed it to me once.

Hit me.

You showed it to me once.

Ah, yes. It's one of my favourite songs. I'm sure you could tell that already though as it's pretty mad! :))
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    masoom007 wrote: »
    Are you a fighter pilot now?

Alas, it's very difficult to become one in this country. One in 3000 applicants are allowed to go to fighter training school and then still 90% is kicked out. I do work in the information business though, so I'm closer to Bond then to a fighter pilot these days.. ;-)