Is enthusiasm for Daniel Craig as Bond waning?

M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
edited March 2018 in Bond 26 & Beyond Posts: 538
I must preface by saying I think Craig has been a great Bond actor: he offered 3 great performances and a decent one. It's because his tenure has been 12 years long and he hasn't put out a significant Bond film in the past 5-6 years. We're past the novelty stage, but at the same time, MGM hasn't done anything to keep people's excitement. The social media era is different; with how fast everything is happening, being gone for 4 years is like being gone for 8. Craig was exactly the kind of Bond millennials wanted to be introduced to, but now there's a crop of Generation Z filmgoers that are getting the leftovers.

It seems like Craig is only holding the mantle because there is no clear successor. Craig is holding the mantle because there is no clear successor. Moore's type of Bond worked fine at age 50, but Craig's shirtless, edgy, lustbomb, dangerous persona is hard to do at 50. I'm not as excited as I once was because I don't expect Craig to do anything new in the role.

Comments

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 3,000
    It certainly does seem as though enthusiasm for Craig's Bond is waning. For me SP is what made me realize that I have major issues with his interpretation of Bond. They finally did a classic style Bond film, and it showed that Craig just can't do that properly. And they had to screw it up with Craig era emotional/personal tropes giving us Bro-feld and a lousy love story.

You're also correct in pointing out that his style of edgy Bond doesn't really work with a 50 year old actor.

I look forward to something new with the next actor, and I hope we actually do get something new when that time comes.
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 538
    It certainly does seem as though enthusiasm for Craig's Bond is waning. For me SP is what made me realize that I have major issues with his interpretation of Bond. They finally did a classic style Bond film, and it showed that Craig just can't do that properly. And they had to screw it up with Craig era emotional/personal tropes giving us Brofeld and a lousy love story.

You're also correct in pointing out that his style of edgy Bond doesn't really work with a 50 year old actor.

I look forward to something new with the next actor, and I hope we actually do get something new when that time comes.

Craig's performance in Spectre, to me, was neither a point for the movie nor a mark against it and that's my point. My opinions on Spectre are more based on the movie itself than the lead role. Most filmgoers, I think, are going to watch Bond25 based on whether they like the trailer and concept. Not because they are excited as to what Craig could do next.

My issue with Craig isn't that his performance in Spectre was bad. Moore's in TMWTGG was worse, but I was still eager to watch his next few entries because I felt like Moore had a lot of untapped potential at that point. I don't feel the same about Craig, 12 years in.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I'm definitely not as buzzed about it as I used to be.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    People are more excited about Marvel and start wars at this moment
  • M16_CartM16_Cart Craig fanboy?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 538
    star wars organizes it correctly. they release a series of movies in a row with everything prepared in advance, the marketing ahead of time, frequent drumming up of social media hype. and then they go into hiding until the next generation of star wars

eon seems to just release a bond film whenever they feel like it.
    I want Bond in the Marvel universe!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I want Bond in the Marvel universe!
    He already was. More than once.

James Bond (Earth-616)

latest?cb=20171114045256

James Bond (Earth TRN388)

latest?cb=20171027232646

And this one from a Jim Steranko comic dating back to the 1960s...

easteregg2-28-1.jpg
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Connery made DAF and YOLT ... but rewatching DN - TB I reassure myself every single time my enthusiasm for his James Bond and his films will never wane.

Same with Daniel Craig: I recently re-watched CR, QoS and SF back-to-back and same here: my enthusiasm will never wane for his James Bond.

SP was an extreme letdown for me - but I know B25 will be better. I can‘t demand anything - but I would expect from Craig to put in his physical and acting strenghts CR-like ... and turn around the opinions against him like he did back in 2006.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Chris Hemsworth recently went to Kevin Feige at Marvel to discuss the possibility of a fourth Thor film (Hemsworth's contract, along with several big name actors, is up with Infinity War 2 in 2019. He felt that Taika Waititi had reinvigorated the Thor franchise with Ragnarok & wanted to see if Feige would greenlight a future Thor film with him in it and renew his contract). Feige told Hemsworth in no uncertain terms that his focus is on getting the next two Avengers films out at the moment. In other words he was dismissively noncommital at this time, despite the last Thor film's outsize success.

Basically the strategy and the plan come first, and not the fact that one particular film was successful. Feige doesn't run that place off the cuff, but rather on a long run game plan geared to success. No one man is larger than the show itself. Everyone is dispensable. No time for sentiment.
    bondjames wrote: »
    No one man is larger than the show itself. Everyone is dispensable. No time for sentiment.
    +1. And this should apply to the Bond film production company's policies, as well. Because sure as hell that's not how they're operating nowadays.
    No one man is larger than the show itself. Everyone is dispensable. No time for sentiment.
    +1. And this should apply to the Bond film production company's policies, as well. Because sure as hell that's not how they're operating nowadays.
    Precisely my point. I didn't answer the OP's original question deliberately, but my post should strongly hint at my view on the question at hand.
    Precisely my point. I didn't answer the OP's original question deliberately, but my post should strongly hint at my view on the question at hand.
    We share the same views on the matter.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Chris Hemsworth recently went to Kevin Feige at Marvel to discuss the possibility of a fourth Thor film (Hemsworth's contract, along with several big name actors, is up with Infinity War 2 in 2019. He felt that Taika Waititi had reinvigorated the Thor franchise with Ragnarok & wanted to see if Feige would greenlight a future Thor film with him in it and renew his contract). Feige told Hemsworth in no uncertain terms that his focus is on getting the next two Avengers films out at the moment. In other words he was dismissively noncommital at this time, despite the last Thor film's outsize success.

Basically the strategy and the plan come first, and not the fact that one particular film was successful. Feige doesn't run that place off the cuff, but rather on a long run game plan geared to success. No one man is larger than the show itself. Everyone is dispensable. No time for sentiment.

Great news, and just in time for Hemsworth to step into the role of Bond for some big, traditional, stylish stand alone 007 films ;)
    talos7 wrote: »

Great news, and just in time for Hemsworth to step into the role of Bond for some big, traditional, stylish stand alone 007 films ;)
    I'd be up for that. He should at least get a screentest, and sooner rather than later because I'm sure his schedule is going to fill up quite fast.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 732
    Isn‘t he too famous already? But Moore was quite famous before LALD, so ...
    I'm pretty sure the next actor will be reasonably famous. It will be a Moore/Brosnan style switchover next time imho.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    DC has remained out of the limelight, for much of the past six years, except for SP. Logan Lucky came and went rather quickly. I think that has killed the momentum and the excitement. My guess: once we start seeing photos from the set of Bond 25, everything will ramp up again. I remember checking the news daily, for updates on Spectre and the filming. It will happen again this time next year.
    I feel there is a modicum of truth to this sentiment.

I think it mostly stems from Craig failing to live up to his potential career-wise after getting the Bond job. there is little excitement in him returning, because there is little excitement in him as an actor currently.

After CR and QOS he did some buzz-worthy films that got sufficient attention, however, since 2012, he's disappeared a little and only reemerges during Bond film season.

He'd have more "buzz" as an actor if he actually worked at a faster clip and kept the momentum that got directors like Spielberg, Fincher, Zwick and Soderburgh interested in hiring him in the first place.

He's lost his A-list shine, therefore our enthusiasm has waned because we hardly ever see him. We don't know what he's doing. The only time we see him is at corporate events for Omega or the such like. He's never had any Oscar attention. Despite being an actor that is deserving and capable. It's a bit of a shame.

Daniel Craig desperately needs a career resurgence. I think he's hoping Danny Boyle will provide it.

I think he should turn his back on Hollywood and big name auteurs and stick to making small British indies, much like his wife Rachel Weisz. There's great work to be done at home and his brand will mean a myriad of young filmmakers can get their movies off the ground. I think of names like Idris Elba and Tom Hardy, both contemporaries of Craig's, who flit between small British indies, TV and studio movies. Either that, or he can sell out and become a Marvel or DC villain in their generic tripe.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This discussion about Dan and his "buzz" as an actor seems to come along regularly, and I still hold that he doesn't really give a damn about having the kind of career people seem to presume he should have. I don't think he cares to be trending or the "it" thing, he just wants to take on interesting parts no matter how big or small they may be. He's a character actor, and doesn't seem keen on doing films just because they'll make him rich or increase his profile. Doing the Bond films has actually helped him, by his own admission, because the big paychecks secure him and his family so comfortably that he can take risks and do jobs that aren't going to pay well because he wants to play the part and likes the script. He's simply a different kind of actor, and is as comfortable, if not more so, on the stage where he'll have more of an exclusive profile but a lauded one nonetheless. His recent turn in Othello was all gold stars across the board, and that's what seems to get Dan excited, the actual work in new and exciting projects that challenge him as a performer. Stuff being popular for the sake of it, or jamming himself into the same old roles that you see so many popular actors doing now.

I think Dan's career will be a very vivid and colorful one when all is said and done, or rather, it will continue to be. He can play all sorts of characters and like all great character actors, I'm sure he'll slip in and out of a great range of parts that fit all kinds of personality traits. He can do high drama, quiet character studies, full blown comedy, and I think he'll find a lot of great work because his work speaks for itself. From how Villeneuve talked about him when he was negotiating for Bond 25 I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dan was cast in Dune or a future film by the director. Because it's clear that his love for the work, his passion and enthusiasm as well as his heavy commitment (he has a reputation for knowing his lines and those of everyone else) will make sure he's never starving for work. And that's why he has attracted such big talents, has directors interested in collaborating with him and can motivate people like Bardem or Mendes to work on the Bond films simply because he's involved and excited to have them.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He will “bloom” in his post Bond years as did Sean and to a degree Pierce and Timothy
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited March 2018 Posts: 17,687
    I loved SP (and CR & QOS) but I don't think another with Dan will ring true because he's already said he'll only be in it for the paycheck.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I at least want to see him try his hand at doing a biopic as an aging Steve McQueen.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I at least want to see him try his hand at doing a biopic as an aging Steve McQueen.

+1
  • tqbtqb
    I'm not sure if enthusiasm for Craig is waning or not... if it is i'm sure it's because he's been Bond for almost 15 years now.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    My enthusiasm for Craig did not wane, it's what they did with Craig's character in the last two films that made me less interested in his Bond.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 12,837
    I think enthusiasm for him as Bond is waning because he's been doing it for so long and because of the long gaps between films. Two years of speculation and rumours about new actors taking over before announcing he was doing another one probably didn't help.

With his career in general, I think it's just that with the Bond money he doesn't need to work very often, so he genuinely just picks stuff that interests him. Just a shame that with his films not a lot of those have turned out too well. I did picture him as having a big film career after Bond but now I'm not so sure. Think his leading man days might be numbered after the next one when it comes to Hollywood but I'm sure he'll still do well as a character/supporting actor in big films every now and again.

Going back to TV would be interesting (is anything happening with that show he had lined up?). I think he could easily sell a mini series. I'd like to see him play a villain, I could easily picture him as a bad guy in Peaky Blinders. It'd be cool to see him do more comedy as well. Haven't seen Logan Lucky yet but he's meant to be funny in that isn't he. Someone on here once said they could picture him doing British comedy well, like in something by Armando Ianucinni, and I love that idea.
    @thelivingroyale, from what I understand Dan will be doing Purity after Bond 25 is filmed, because some sort of deal was made between him and the showrunner/s and/or Showtime to delay the filming so he could take part. He must really be wanted, or the powers that be would just recast and push on unless there's another reason they're delaying that lines up with Dan's own Bond commitments. But that would be a great coincidence.

I hope to see Dan in more of those types of shows that will give him time to build a character through a series of episodes, as I think that is his strength. Movies are great but more and more TV proves much more satisfying as a storytelling vehicle for the pacing it allows to tell narratives and develop the characters. I could see Dan working inside that vehicle very well, and I'd love to see him tackle parts in big name shows in the future that would give him some meat to chew on. I genuinely think the sky could be the limit, as I haven't encountered anything in his performances that I think he doesn't excel at to an impressive degree. I agree with you that it would be great to see him do more comedy, as he can do both dry humor and more wacky stuff (like Logan Lucky) quite effectively.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Dan was just as interested in becoming an A lister as any other actor in hollywood, he just failed at it. He made Golden Compass and Cowboys and Aliens straight after getting Bond, and both films disappointed. So it's not a case of him being too good for that sort of thing, but not good enough. He probably realizes now that he's older that he isn't suited to that, and so has given up on it. Dragon Tattoo was the last time he went for a franchise play, with the added incentive of working with Fincher. We'll see if his fortunes can turn around with Kings, as he establishes himself for a career after Bond.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Kings obviously looks to be a flop. There was even a backlash from the African-American community back when he was filming it, so I don't expect that film to go out on top. It'd be mediocre at best. The reception, I mean.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 732
    I liked Logan Lucky - Daniel was really funny in it and the whole film was pretty neat. Not a "big thing" - but entertaining and well acted.

The person who only did a Bond movie for the paycheck was Mendes with SP in my opinion - I did not get the impression from the movie, from interviews or videos that Craig did not put in all he could. The writing was poor because they let Logan waste time and money and when Mendes (and EoN) realized, it was too late already. And the direction of the picture was not on par with Skyfall. Simply put: They (EoN) let people work in crucial positions who did not really want to do the job and did not care enough (any more). Mendes did a teriffic job with Skyfall - it may not be everybody's favourite but it was well made in all areas. Spectre was a spectacular mess - just throwing money "onto the screen" does not make a good movie.

Therefore I am sure Daniel and a new director will put all in for Craig's last Bond movie and he will leave on a high note. He shook things up and renewed the "franchise" (I hate that word in terms of Bond) but I am looking forward to the last scene in style of CR's or SF's final moment. I am looking forward leaving the cinema with feeling like this ... Bond. James Bond.