No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Strog wrote: »
    He's saying all the right things as far as I'm concerned. I do like listening to him speak. I've posted this before so forgive me, I don't mean to beat everyone over the head with it, but it's likewise encouraging to me: Danny Boyle talks about a "Pixarification of movies"

That interview is pretty encouraging if he can apply that approach to Bond. A bit of 70s grit and realism, where the violence resonates rather than just provides a cartoonish pop art fight sequence. Fleming's Bond certainly suffered out in the field and Craig would be a good Bond to bring out that side of the character on screen again.

One can only hope the plot will be strong and compelling and Boyle brings a visceral reality back to the spy genre. I'm going to remain glass half full on this and hope we genuinely do get an entry in which the franchise is revitalised, Craig leaves on a high and we're back to thinking it's a shame he couldn't have done more...rather than the appetite to see the back of him which we seem to have now.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I'm re-reading John Pearson's authorized biography of Bond. It's quite a special portrait and expands on Fleming's idea of the man. I'd love Craig to read this before production, since it does give a charming glimpse into how an older Bond thinks of himself and his importance in this life of his. There are many enjoyable descriptions (as he orders his drinks and food-- someone who knows what he wants and he always gets what he wants; the idea that his true addiction is danger. He gets the most out of life when his life is at risk (he describes a skiing adventure he went on as a teen; from that moment forth, he was always chasing the same thrill of death-defying)...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Birdleson wrote: »
    One of my favorite aspects of Boyle's films is the crisp energy and spontaneity he infuses them with. Whether dark or light, humorous or nauseating; his films never fail to feel vibrant, fresh and alive to me. That quality is what I want to see him bring to a Bond film; and I think that he will. The big issue for me is whether he is going to have to get himself mired in the clumsy continuity of SP, or will he be given the freedom to ignore all of that mess. Again, I am cautiously optimistic that EON must see that, with the passage of a little time, SP is generally regarded as a disappointment; and surely it doesn't take a lot of insight to realize that the two jewels of the Craig Era (financially, critically, with audiences and, now, their historic place in the canon), CR and SF, were filmed as (and intended to be) one-offs; both were followed by less successful sequels that forced general audiences to remember and care about things from several years prior; and that has never been the draw of the cinematic Bond. I think that there is reason to feel good.
    Well said. His films do have a velocity to them. Actually, partly similar to how Fleming's writing leaps to life off the page. I'm delighted to hear that the books were such a part of his formative years, and if this B25 idea he's got turns out to be partly derived from unused Fleming material itself that's all to the better.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Wasn't Trainspotting responsible for introducing the world to a whole new slew of British actors? I'd imagine we'd see something again. I think it was a precursor to films like Snatch and even Layer Cake.

Moreover, as I recall (I haven't seen it) the film was seen as very hip and relevant to the youth culture at the time. Bond needs that now in my view. This could be why they are going in this direction.
    It definitely needs that again. And 'youth' yes but not in the way that many films now are (see below). Hip to me signals the reactions of rebellious teenagers, young adults, twentysomethings, etc. 'Hip' sort of meaning all the stuff that your parents poo-poo. I wasn't around in the 60s but I understand that Bond firmly fit in with the spirit of the Beatles, the Pythons, David Bailey, Mary Quant, et. al. Twenty years after that, by the late '80s, it seems the franchise might have been in a similar state hipness-wise as now. Is that right?
    From Boyle's Wikepedia:

Quote of his:
    "To be a film-maker...you have to lead. You have to be psychotic in your desire to do something. People always like the easy route. You have to push very hard to get something unusual, something different."

Quote about him from his Trainspotting producer:
    "Boyle takes a subject that you've often seen portrayed realistically, in a politically correct way, whether it's junkies or slum orphans, and he has managed to make it realistic but also incredibly uplifting and joyful."

Boyle on his own films:
    "There's a theme running through all of them—and I just realised this. They're all about someone facing impossible odds and overcoming them."

We are in for something rather radically different from how I read this in conjunction with Bambigoye's article.
    Thanks for those. He's saying all the right things as far as I'm concerned. I do like listening to him speak. I've posted this before so forgive me, I don't mean to beat everyone over the head with it, but it's likewise encouraging to me: Danny Boyle talks about a "Pixarification of movies"
    Thanks for that interview. It's certainly encouraging, but I wonder if he will be able to combine that approach with a global audience of all ages which the Bond films aspire to. I don't disagree with him though. Star Wars did appear to be beginning of a radical shift in what types of films were successful and how we view blockbusters. The popcorn era, if you will. I think there was a shift back to darkness, grit and uncertainty post-911, but there appears to be a move back to lightness again.

Yes, I agree that Bond did seem to be somewhat counter-culture and rebellious for its time in its heyday. Provocative and somewhat edgy. Daring and forward leaning - not following or looking back.

I think the only thing we can safely take from piecing together his words is we will have to expect the unexpected from him. He will be unconventional and daring, as he appears to be a film maker who can capture or define the essence of the time or the "zeitgeist". I'm sure we will all interpret what that means through our own filter, lens and preferences for the next year and a 1/2.

If he's as good as he seems, we'll all be pleasantly surprised with the final product.
    peter wrote: »
    I'm re-reading John Pearson's authorized biography of Bond. It's quite a special portrait and expands on Fleming's idea of the man. I'd love Craig to read this before production, since it does give a charming glimpse into how an older Bond thinks of himself and his importance in this life of his. There are many enjoyable descriptions (as he orders his drinks and food-- someone who knows what he wants and he always gets what he wants; the idea that his true addiction is danger. He gets the most out of life when his life is at risk (he describes a skiing adventure he went on as a teen; from that moment forth, he was always chasing the same thrill of death-defying)...

I'd like think Craig has probably read it at some point. That book was a good read as far as I remember. Been years. I can almost imagine at this point, Eon going for something like an adaptation of this book. Completely different and not the same old Bond.
    Considering Boyle has had his Bond idea since 2012, I feel pretty confident in assuming that B25 will not be an adaptation of YOLT, Risico, The Property of a Lady , etc.
    I feel cautiously optimistic. I am thrilled there's a different writer. P & W were no Maibaum, IMO.

In a way I'm kind of hoping for a low key Bond thriller, which I imagine Boyle could deliver. At the same time, I would love a return to some classic traditions without the formula conspicuously clicking all the boxes as per TND.
    My hunch, however is that we may get a character driven drama that is promoted as being different from all the other Bond films in that "this time.........it's personal."
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/930176/James-Bond-25-Daniel-Craig-M-death-Logan-Hugh-Jackman-Wolverine-Danny-Boyle-John-Hodge

How do you all feel about the idea of bond dying at the end of bond 25? I think it would be a very bold move.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's a godawful idea.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I don‘t need that movie then - I liked „Logan“ and I for sure don‘t want to see this happen to James Bond. If they do so, they finally went nuts.

I doubt that unless they want to retire the whole film series.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It's a godawful idea.

I agree.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    They could go the Logan route without killing him, but killing him is indeed a horrible idea.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited March 2018 Posts: 732
    But why to go that route? They did this stuff (kinda) with SF and (to many) it was good that way but ended encouraging with James Bond on the rooftop. So why, especially after Spectre, would they want to do the very same stuff again just even more drastic? What a terrible idea.

If that would turn out to be true I‘d end the Bond series with Skyfall for myself and ignore the rest.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Actually the ambiguous ending of SPECTRE, with Bond driving away from MI-6 was a fitting conclusion, in the wrong film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I agree, that would be a terrible idea.
    I am of the belief that Logan (sans death) was the essence of the P&W screenplay. That's old hat.

Boyle is going to be quite different. Dynamic.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Too early to assume, in my opinion.
    Too early to assume, in my opinion.
    Indeed. Quite right. That's not going to stop any of us over here though. It's what we do.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 15,785
    I hate to say this, but after the stepbrother B.S. and this newfound need to make Oscar worthy Bond films, I wouldn't be surprised if indeed this is the route they're going. If there's even the slightest chance Craig could be nominated for best actor by playing 007's death scene I think Eon would jump at it.

Also, it's very trendy right now to kill off the main characters in beloved franchises: Han Solo, Luke, Superman, etc. Eon is no longer a trendsetter but follower.

I personally think it would make B25 the last film in the series as I wouldn't hold my breath for a re-boot. Then Mickey G could retire and Barbara could focus on her independent films.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Cowley wrote: »
    He's saying all the right things as far as I'm concerned. I do like listening to him speak. I've posted this before so forgive me, I don't mean to beat everyone over the head with it, but it's likewise encouraging to me: Danny Boyle talks about a "Pixarification of movies"

That interview is pretty encouraging if he can apply that approach to Bond. A bit of 70s grit and realism, where the violence resonates rather than just provides a cartoonish pop art fight sequence. Fleming's Bond certainly suffered out in the field and Craig would be a good Bond to bring out that side of the character on screen again.

One can only hope the plot will be strong and compelling and Boyle brings a visceral reality back to the spy genre. I'm going to remain glass half full on this and hope we genuinely do get an entry in which the franchise is revitalised, Craig leaves on a high and we're back to thinking it's a shame he couldn't have done more...rather than the appetite to see the back of him which we seem to have now.
    Agreed. If Boyle wants to bring that 'violence with consequences' and 70s grit sensibility, I'm all for it. I think it'd be a fine thing for Craig's last film to veer nearer his initial couple rather than continue on the post-SF trajectory. That said, there are certain worries that would come with that like...
    It's certainly encouraging, but I wonder if he will be able to combine that approach with a global audience of all ages which the Bond films aspire to.
    That's very true, and therein would lie the difficulty. It would be tough. I'm sure to some extent Barbara and Michael were having the same thoughts during the DAD->CR transition (although as you point out that sort of realism was then a box office driver and would have been perhaps less risky than now).

But this will be a Bond film after all (and so there's automatically going to be box office interest), and it's Boyle (and so a base for critical appeal). If they want to give the film a ridiculously-low-for-Bond budget (say, I don't know, $75-$100 million?) and Boyle goes off and makes a spy thriller with as few action set pieces as and equal in scale to FRWL, and the film ends up being well-received on top of that, their ROI could be more than enough to justify it. A stretch, and risky, but interesting to speculate on.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I'd like think Craig has probably read it at some point. That book was a good read as far as I remember. Been years. I can almost imagine at this point, Eon going for something like an adaptation of this book. Completely different and not the same old Bond.
    Considering Boyle has had his Bond idea since 2012, I feel pretty confident in assuming that B25 will not be an adaptation of YOLT, Risico, The Property of a Lady , etc.
    I feel cautiously optimistic. I am thrilled there's a different writer. P & W were no Maibaum, IMO.
    Has Boyle had his idea since 2012? I might have missed that. I saw something similar in the linked Daiymail (or equal rag and therefore likewise specious) article which said something to the effect that the seed was planted when Boyle worked with Craig on the opening ceremony short. I took that as meaning the idea of working together on a Bond film was planted, not that Boyle had had the idea specifically. In fact I thought the idea was rather last minute, hence Hodge punching out the script as we speak.
    Cowley wrote: »

Agreed. If Boyle wants to bring that 'violence with consequences' and 70s grit sensibility, I'm all for it. I think it'd be a fine thing for Craig's last film to veer nearer his initial couple rather than continue on the post-SF trajectory. That said, there are certain worries that would come with that like...
    It's certainly encouraging, but I wonder if he will be able to combine that approach with a global audience of all ages which the Bond films aspire to.
    That's very true, and therein would lie the difficulty. It would be tough. I'm sure to some extent Barbara and Michael were having the same thoughts during the DAD->CR transition (although as you point out that sort of realism was then a box office driver and would have been perhaps less risky than now).

But this will be a Bond film after all (and so there's automatically going to be box office interest), and it's Boyle (and so a base for critical appeal). If they want to give the film a ridiculously-low-for-Bond budget (say, I don't know, $75-$100 million?) and Boyle goes off and makes a spy thriller with as few action set pieces as and equal in scale to FRWL, and the film ends up being well-received on top of that, their ROI could be more than enough to justify it. A stretch, and risky, but interesting to speculate on.

Has Boyle had his idea since 2012? I might have missed that. I saw something similar in the linked Daiymail (or equal rag and therefore likewise specious) article which said something to the effect that the seed was planted when Boyle worked with Craig on the opening ceremony short. I took that as meaning the idea of working together on a Bond film was planted, not that Boyle had had the idea specifically. In fact I thought the idea was rather last minute, hence Hodge punching out the script as we speak.

Could be I misinterpreted the article. Perhaps he has only come up with his story idea recently?
    Interesting take in on what happened and entirely possible I agree.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I hate to say this, but after the stepbrother B.S. and this newfound need to make Oscar worthy Bond films, I wouldn't be surprised if indeed this is the route they're going. If there's even the slightest chance Craig could be nominated for best actor by playing 007's death scene I think Eon would jump at it.

Also, it's very trendy right now to kill off the main characters in beloved franchises: Han Solo, Luke, Superman, etc. Eon is no longer a trendsetter but follower.

I personally think it would make B25 the last film in the series as I wouldn't hold my breath for a re-boot. Then Mickey G could retire and Barbara could focus on her independent films.

I'd love to able to deride you for talking utter bollocks but these days I can't hand on heart definitively rule out any of that.
    They will go some new direction. To go on with the "continuity" would be incredibly ridiculous, and they can´t tie Bond25 to CR, because that´s too much in the past now.

No matter when Boyle had his Bond idea, he´s going to try and put his own mark onto the franchise, his artistic ambition and ego both won´t allow for inheriting much from the previous director. Unless of course he hasn´t seen the recent Bond films and thinks it a brilliant idea to make a film about a job-weary Bond with a secret stepbrother.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2018 Posts: 11,139
    I'm confident we won't be getting any of the (edit) that came saddled with SF and SP with Boyle directing. I feel like we'll definitely get a far more engaging film and hopefully none of that pointless record breaking explosions rubbish and more hand to hand fight scenes that doesn't require Bond to be running and jumping from rooftop balconies.
    How about this for a new direction: Bond caught shagging Kate Middleton. How will Willie react?

I'd love to able to deride you for talking utter bollocks but these days I can't hand on heart definitively rule out any of that.

Sadly the stepbrother idea, the hastily connection of all 4 Craig films in SP, and of course the constant tampering with the gunbarrel has made me a rather cynical fan lately.

On a more optimistic note, Michael and Barbara could potentially see the light and realize how bad so many recent ideas were green-lit and may not want to risk permanently damaging Cubby's legacy by killing off 007.
  • RC7RC7
    I think I’m the only fan who didn’t mind the SP explosion, in principal, but you can’t get away with it if your film is viewed as under par. The main issue I have is not so much the explosion, but the decision to digitally render the base into the shot (I’m aware it was all digital). Contrast it with SF blowing up - done for real - and it magnifies the pointlessness.

In terms of action I’m all for more ‘stairwell fight’ scenarios, but I’m also keen to see at least one genuinely brilliant large-scale action sequence, which twists and turns and isn’t telegraphed.

My biggest wish is to see an original set piece in the vein of the Spy PTS, or GE dam jump.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Sadly the stepbrother idea, the hastily connection of all 4 Craig films in SP, and of course the constant tampering with the gunbarrel has made me a rather cynical fan lately.

On a more optimistic note, Michael and Barbara could potentially see the light and realize how bad so many recent ideas were green-lit and may not want to risk permanently damaging Cubby's legacy by killing off 007.

One thing Cubby told them that Babs is often keen on quoting 'Don't muck it up.'

Well guess what love - you just did.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,619
    It's time to start thinking about which of Boyle's regular crew members will be working on BOND 25. The obvious one is cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle, who worked on half of Boyle's movies, and won an Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire. The second one is editor Jon Harris who edited 127 Hours, Trance and Transpotting 2 (and was also the editor of Layer Cake). The third is production designer Mark Tildesley who worked on 5 Boyle movies (28 Days Later..., Millions, Sunshine, Trance and Trainspotting 2). Or will they keep Dennis Gassner (who many months ago for some strange reason seemingly already knew he would do Bond 25)?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Sod Danny Boyle. After seeing The Foreigner today, Martin Campbell is well up to the job.

Action, drama and getting good performances. Got it in spades.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 2018 Posts: 4,416
    I think there is possible if Gassner don't return and there don't take Mark Tildesley, mabey
    Morgan Kennedy. Working on Sweeny tod with (Boyle his less fames writer of two) John Hodge and with editor Jon Harris on Babylon.

John Harris can be editor, whyle it not include Trainspotting & The Beach and Slumdog. Three is more then two of Masahiro Hirakubo and one from Chris Diekens (Slumdog) But the fact he be editor too of Kingsman, Layercake, Stardust and two faces of January mabey can make it possible. But Chris Dickens also edit Les Misérables and Hott Fuzz and Paul (two by composed David Arnold movies with humor) and worked with John Logan before.

Anthony Dod Mantle don't vergot The Last King of Scotland style is more like CR.
    How about this for a new direction: Bond caught shagging Kate Middleton. How will Willie react?
    That is the most ambiguous question I´ve read in years :-)))).
    Thanks for making me laugh on a rainy monday morning, @Benjamin_Weekly69!