No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

That was one of my own thoughts @PanchitoPistoles. It could very well involve the Queen or a member of the Royal Family. However, I'm hoping that it doesn't.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Or perhaps Bond is given the task of transporting someone and forces are out to stop them.
    bondjames wrote: »
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/929859/James-Bond-25-Bond-girl-Lily-James-Daniel-Craig-Danny-Boyle-All-You-Need-Is-Love/amp

I call this speculation but she is quite beautiful but I haven't anything with her so would she make a great final bond girl for craig? My money's still on scarlett johansson.
    Again, I think this is an actress better placed to play his daughter or something. They have to find some more mature choices.

She would make a fantastic Bond girl in general though. Perhaps for B26.

Agree I still want johansson despite her being in high demand right now but I would also love to see Salma Hayak.

Personally, I would like to have a James Bond that doesn't look creepy next to a young woman.
    I am still having chills down my spine from Bellucci. And I'm not just talking about the good kind of chill.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    I hope the Hodge/Boyle idea doesn’t involve Bond getting stuck somewhere for 127 Hours.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondsum wrote: »
    That was one of my own thoughts @PanchitoPistoles. It could very well involve the Queen or a member of the Royal Family. However, I'm hoping that it doesn't.

Have they done a deal for Meghan Markle to be the new Bond girl?

Final shot of the Craig era M and Q patching a live stream into the palace of Bond keeping the British end up and we have gone full circle from black and white Fleming grit in CR to Rog era Carry On smut.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,400
    What do we think Boyle's Bond film will look like?

- Dynamic, visually kinetic and colourful
    - Inventive, breathless action
    - Very British
    - A huge focus on London. I wouldn't be surprised if there most of the film took place in London
    - a two-hour runtime
    - Smaller budget
    - Possibly less large-scale set-pieces
    - More focus on Daniel Craig and less on supporting roles
    - In terms of look, the film will likely have a very sharp HD look if Anthony Dod Mantle is the DP
    - Music will be very important
    - It'll be funny

Also, I think the appointment of John Hodge is a little unusual. I'd have thought boyle's other writer, Simon Beaufoy would be far more suited to the job. Perhaps, he'll do the second draft?

Also, Boyle loves the action in the film 'The Raid'. Maybe an indicator of where he'll take Bond?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another fan of The Raid, is he? That doesn t fill me with hope.
    The Raid? Never heard about that one.

Final shot of the Craig era M and Q patching a live stream into the palace of Bond keeping the British end up and we have gone full circle from black and white Fleming grit in CR to Rog era Carry On smut.
    I'll take that.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I'll take that.

I probably would too to be honest.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia

Well who else would you call on when one of the corgi's gets kidnapped? They were practically asking for it in their Olympic cameo. Scene stealers.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    After all ignoring mr reddit it could be Boyle loved Purvis and Wade’s idea and brought Hodge in to rework the script so the final film writing credits would be
    Not sure what mr reddit has to say on the matter, but it was gossip columnist Baz Bamigboye's comments that alluded to Boyle and Hodge's pitch being an entirely fresh approach, not this reddit chap. Therefore, it would seem most unlikely that Boyle has even read the P&W script, never mind love it and want to rework it. For all intents and purposes, it would seem that the P&W script has been put aside for now. Whether it becomes the final chosen treatment will no doubt depend on how John Hodge's script pans out and is received.

Fairly certain the Reddit poster announced all of this before Baz. He even noted there was the Demange/P&W angle, and the Boyle/Hodge angle, and they'd go with one or the other. Don't think a Boyle/P&W was ever happening, but I could be wrong.

If Boyle is directing, I'd rather him get a script crafted by a longtime collaborator of his (makes it more likely it'll be standalone) than P&W making some SP continuation.

Why is everybody so concerned with a potential continuation? They built a much stronger basis in CR and QOS, only to completely ignore it in SF and then rape it in SP, so it would be the most natural thing in the world for Bond25 to ignore what came before, especially the bad stuff.
    I'm personally not worried about it, but would argue that the CR to QoS scenario was very different from what they concocted in the last film, which was more far reaching & all encompassing.

The earlier situation was about Bond searching for answers to Vesper's betrayal, which led him to Quantum. The organization was already introduced in CR anyway, courtesy of White. It was a 'Vesper story arc'. Furthermore, the film came out a mere 2 years later and then we had the long break.

In the last film in contrast they went so far as to tie absolutely everything in the Craig era to date together under the guise of an 'all knowing' chief bad with whom Bond had a family history. That's 10+ years and 4 films of history. So it became more 'The Bond arc'.

When I watch CR these days, it's difficult not to think of Waltz or even Seydoux. Believe me such thoughts aren't welcome and soil the viewing experience. The same goes for viewing SF, although the connection is more tenuous there, thanks to Silva's revenge motive being so well captured by a highly charismatic Bardem.

It's a question of narrative credibility for this iteration and era. That's why I'm personally very curious to see what they come up with. I think they will at least have to acknowledge the events of SP somewhere. Just ignoring it and making a 'stub entry' isn't going to help with future viewings of the set. There has to be some consequence. Some pathos. I can't see Craig going out without that.
    But narrative credibility went out the window already with SF, when Bond all of a sudden was old and weary of his job, after he just got a grip on it as a rookie in the very previous films. SP just took the lack of credibility a few steps further. There is no credible timeline ore arc or logic throughout the Craig films, except to a degree from CR to QoS. So ignoring SP´s retconning would only be natural in context.
    SF just represented the extended passage of film time, which was credible given the (then) unheard of four year gap, especially after we'd had two continuity driven films in quick succession. It was perfectly fine given the context. I still contend that this time it's a bit different, because everything about Bond has been so concretely and deliberately (even if hamfistedly) tied together in SP.

That doesn't mean they can't make a film which is primarily standalone. In fact, I'd prefer it, although I don't mind either way. I just expect the events of SP to be addressed, even if in a somewhat cursory manner. If they tie it off properly, it may help me to view the connected Craig run in a more positive manner than I do now on a subsequent rewatch. Better than to leave it hanging and flopping in the wind.
    I'm guessing that B25 will be set quite a few years hence forth from Spectre and won't be acting as a continuation piece. There might be a minor discussion between characters (maybe between Bond's new lady) alluding to the breakup of his previous relationship with Madeleine Swann, but I think it will be mostly glossed over and not get in the way of the new story. More a case of tell, not so much show. There's no need to mention Blofeld as he's safely behind bars, ready to abscond and resurface at a later date, should they need him for a future 007 movie.
    The funny thing is this was precisely the direction that members (including myself) had been presuming P&W would take. If you go back about a year on this thread, that was the wish. At least of those who weren't hoping for a YOLT sendoff. I think it's likely that the P&W script is set up this way as well.

I imagine the 'gold' idea that was mentioned in Bambigoye's article has something to do with Britain. Boyle is apparently a politically charged film maker (from what I've read here), so it's possible he's come up with something which delves into Bond's (and Britain's) place in the world, but not in the same manner as SF. This time perhaps it's more 'show' than 'tell'.

Aesthetically I expect a far more colourful and playful film - tonally very different from the Craig entries to date. I will go on record this time and say I expect it to be the Ragnarok of the Craig Bond entries. We know he wanted a lighter Bond film last time around, but the narrative got in the way. I'd imagine he still wants that kind of sendoff. I hope he can pull it off, because I was far from convinced last time. Perhaps Boyle can bring it out of him.
    I imagine the 'gold' idea that was mentioned in Bambigoye's article has something to do with Britain. Boyle is apparently a politically charged film maker (from what I've read here), so it's possible he's come up with something which delves into Bond's (and Britain's) place in the world, but not in the same manner as SF. This time perhaps it's more 'show' than 'tell'.

Bond gets ordered to take out Juncker, Tusk and Merkel?

Cameo by Nigel Farage as pisshead racist Dikko Henderson, MI6's man in Brussels.

I could definitely get on board with that.

Bond gets ordered to take out Juncker, Tusk and Merkel?

Cameo by Nigel Farage as pisshead racist Dikko Henderson, MI6's man in Brussels.

I could definitely get on board with that.
    Haha. I'd love that personally. Hopefully they don't take it too close to reality, but rather keep it more opaque so that it remains timeless for posterity in the tradition of the best Bond films. That is the trick, and perhaps this is what Boyle has up his sleeve which elevates his premise above P&W's (who let's face it, appeared confused about how to proceed when they mentioned the difficulties of writing a Bond story in today's world early last year).
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Birdleson wrote: »
    One of my favorite aspects of Boyle's films is the crisp energy and spontaneity he infuses them with. Whether dark or light, humorous or nauseating; his films never fail to feel vibrant, fresh and alive to me. That quality is what I want to see him bring to a Bond film; and I think that he will. The big issue for me is whether he is going to have to get himself mired in the clumsy continuity of SP, or will he be given the freedom to ignore all of that mess. Again, I am cautiously optimistic that EON must see that, with the passage of a little time, SP is generally regarded as a disappointment; and surely it doesn't take a lot of insight to realize that the two jewels of the Craig Era (financially, critically, with audiences and, now, their historic place in the canon), CR and SF, were filmed as (and intended to be) one-offs; both were followed by less successful sequels that forced general audiences to remember and care about things from several years prior; and that has never been the draw of the cinematic Bond. I think that there is reason to feel good.

I agree. Boyle's films have an artistry and an energy than is exciting for Bond. And for the most part, action-y directors do a smashing job with their first Bond films.

Now that they've stuck us with this continuity, I wonder how/if Boyle will break out of it, or just ignore it. I also wonder if Waltz will be included or excluded with this directorial change. I also appreciate Boyle's balls in taking on the end of an era.

I hope that they dispose of Swann fairly quickly, because her chemistry just wasn't there with Craig. Blofeld I am more conflicted about, but then again, I don't think he's been used properly since 1969, so he can go as well.
    echo wrote: »
    I also appreciate Boyle's balls in taking on the end of an era.
    It's a very good point you make. Not many would want to follow a heavy continuity driven narrative, especially with a first kick at the can.

I don't think we will see a gritty Bond film next time out. The Craig films have gone in one direction tonally, and I expect that direction to continue for B25. Lighter, not grittier. Aesthetically vibrant.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited March 2018 Posts: 732
    Some seem to rule out (at least I get the impression) Craig will be fit and agile by the end of this year. Since this element is key to his portrayal and given the fact B25 will (he says so himself) be his last one I am sure he will put in CR-like efforts to be as fit as possible. That and tanned he will look excellent next to any woman in her 30s .

I would love to see Camille back - not as his main „love interest“ but they had excellent chemistry on-screen, imho. Camille, Vesper, Solange ... women like those looked best with Craig on-screen.

I am sure they will strip away the dragging drama (an element I *did* appreciate in SF though as a one-time) and after SP also weird story „twists“.

I am preparing myself for a colourful, action-rich Bond adventure in style of TB: „Big“ plot, rich locales and humorous elements that suit Craig‘s style better than what they attempted with SP. Colour will replace the Grey.

The Villain will be a key element - there‘s enough inspiration for a great villain left in Fleming‘s novels and short stories to get a foundation/starting point.

Watched CR, QoS and SF back-to-back yesterday and the Blofeld desaster of SP never crossed my mind. Those 3 films are all wonderful - I am really excited there will be one more Craig Bond Film and I totally agree with some comments before in this thread: B25 will be a bridge and intro to the new era (like DAF was an intro to the Moore-era).

Can‘t await to buy my premiere ticket :-D

P.S.: If I could vote for one location featured in B25 it would be Jamaica. Would be kinda nice to see Bond back there.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 4,619
    I really doubt Bond 25 will be a bridge to the next era, as I'm fully expecting Nolan to write and direct Bond 26, and Boyle's and Nolan's style couldn't be more different. The only way Bond 25 will be a bridge is that it's a continuation of EON giving more and more power to their directors. It started with Mendes, it's continuing with Boyle and will end with EON selling the franchise to Nolan.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Wasn't Trainspotting responsible for introducing the world to a whole new slew of British actors? I'd imagine we'd see something again. I think it was a precursor to films like Snatch and even Layer Cake.

Moreover, as I recall (I haven't seen it) the film was seen as very hip and relevant to the youth culture at the time. Bond needs that now in my view. This could be why they are going in this direction.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @SeanCraig -- I've mentioned before, a while ago, of having Camille the person who finds Bond living "off-the-grid" (some beautiful island where he's been gambling and drinking his nights away, sleeping with all the married women he can get his hands on; not at all like SF)... Camille needs help from this ex-spy and she's tracked him down, and whatever this problem is, it's big enough for Bond to return to active service. So, in essence, she's the catalyst to bring 007 back into the fold.
    @peter : This sounds good! It would be in-line with the continuity of the Craig era, kinda pick up where SP left (4 years ago) and still lead to a more colourful adventure. Plus - there can‘t be anything wrong seeing Olga again :-)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    peter wrote: »
    I've mentioned before, a while ago, of having Camille the person who finds Bond living "off-the-grid" (some beautiful island where he's been gambling and drinking his nights away, sleeping with all the married women he can get his hands on; not at all like SF)... Camille needs help from this ex-spy and she's tracked him down, and whatever this problem is, it's big enough for Bond to return to active service. So, in essence, she's the catalyst to bring 007 back into the fold.
    This would be a brilliant idea. That's how things should be handled.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    yes, big fan of Olga (gets the blood pumping in all the right places!)...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,921
    I really don't see them going back to Camille, a character from 2008. (White was one thing but he was in two films.) The freshness of most Bond films is that there is a new love interest, villain, etc. and I expect them to do the same here.

Don't forget that Boyle basically introduced Naomie Harris to world cinema in 28 Days Later, so he's likely to feel vested in her success.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Camille's return was hinted by Olga many times, actually. If they set their minds to it, there are many ways to bring her back. And @peter's idea is one of the more plausible ways to do it.
    echo wrote: »
    I really don't see them going back to Camille, a character from 2008. (White was one thing but he was in two films.) The freshness of most Bond films is that there is a new love interest, villain, etc. and I expect them to do the same here.

Don't forget that Boyle basically introduced Naomie Harris to world cinema in 28 Days Later, so he's likely to feel vested in her success.
    I agree that it's unlikely we see any reference to QoS again, particularly if they want us to forget continuity and the last film (it doesn't make sense to go back to 2008 when there is arguably unfinished business from 2015).

I'm concerned to learn about Harris and Boyle's history. I was hoping to see far less of her in B25.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 732
    I don‘t think her role would be as big as in QoS - but it would work great plus be in-line with the Craig era ... after all the continuity aspect is one element that defines it. Letting Camille start the wheels for B25 is a much better way to interconnect Craig‘s films like that ... „idea“ we got in SP. It‘s a plausible, very good idea.
    My hope bond starts the film waking from a nightmare and Dench is still M and Quantum is still loose so skyfall and spectre never happened lol
    From Boyle's Wikepedia:

Quote of his:
    "To be a film-maker...you have to lead. You have to be psychotic in your desire to do something. People always like the easy route. You have to push very hard to get something unusual, something different."

Quote about him from his Trainspotting producer:
    "Boyle takes a subject that you've often seen portrayed realistically, in a politically correct way, whether it's junkies or slum orphans, and he has managed to make it realistic but also incredibly uplifting and joyful."

Boyle on his own films:
    "There's a theme running through all of them—and I just realised this. They're all about someone facing impossible odds and overcoming them."

We are in for something rather radically different from how I read this in conjunction with Bambigoye's article.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 684
    Birdleson wrote: »
    One of my favorite aspects of Boyle's films is the crisp energy and spontaneity he infuses them with. Whether dark or light, humorous or nauseating; his films never fail to feel vibrant, fresh and alive to me. That quality is what I want to see him bring to a Bond film; and I think that he will. The big issue for me is whether he is going to have to get himself mired in the clumsy continuity of SP, or will he be given the freedom to ignore all of that mess. Again, I am cautiously optimistic that EON must see that, with the passage of a little time, SP is generally regarded as a disappointment; and surely it doesn't take a lot of insight to realize that the two jewels of the Craig Era (financially, critically, with audiences and, now, their historic place in the canon), CR and SF, were filmed as (and intended to be) one-offs; both were followed by less successful sequels that forced general audiences to remember and care about things from several years prior; and that has never been the draw of the cinematic Bond. I think that there is reason to feel good.
    Well said. His films do have a velocity to them. Actually, partly similar to how Fleming's writing leaps to life off the page. I'm delighted to hear that the books were such a part of his formative years, and if this B25 idea he's got turns out to be partly derived from unused Fleming material itself that's all to the better.
    Wasn't Trainspotting responsible for introducing the world to a whole new slew of British actors? I'd imagine we'd see something again. I think it was a precursor to films like Snatch and even Layer Cake.

Moreover, as I recall (I haven't seen it) the film was seen as very hip and relevant to the youth culture at the time. Bond needs that now in my view. This could be why they are going in this direction.
    It definitely needs that again. And 'youth' yes but not in the way that many films now are (see below). Hip to me signals the reactions of rebellious teenagers, young adults, twentysomethings, etc. 'Hip' sort of meaning all the stuff that your parents poo-poo. I wasn't around in the 60s but I understand that Bond firmly fit in with the spirit of the Beatles, the Pythons, David Bailey, Mary Quant, et. al. Twenty years after that, by the late '80s, it seems the franchise might have been in a similar state hipness-wise as now. Is that right?
    From Boyle's Wikepedia:

Quote of his:
    "To be a film-maker...you have to lead. You have to be psychotic in your desire to do something. People always like the easy route. You have to push very hard to get something unusual, something different."

Quote about him from his Trainspotting producer:
    "Boyle takes a subject that you've often seen portrayed realistically, in a politically correct way, whether it's junkies or slum orphans, and he has managed to make it realistic but also incredibly uplifting and joyful."

Boyle on his own films:
    "There's a theme running through all of them—and I just realised this. They're all about someone facing impossible odds and overcoming them."

We are in for something rather radically different from how I read this in conjunction with Bambigoye's article.
    Thanks for those. He's saying all the right things as far as I'm concerned. I do like listening to him speak. I've posted this before so forgive me, I don't mean to beat everyone over the head with it, but it's likewise encouraging to me: Danny Boyle talks about a "Pixarification of movies"