Folio Society - Ian Fleming Special Editions

Comments

PussyNoMore thinks that the fabulous Fay Dalton is needed urgently over at Cape to fix the ‘Forever And A Day’ cover art fiasco before it’s too late !
    +1
    ClarkDevlin, thanks for your support but does anybody know how we can get a message to IFP/Cape and Fay before it’s too late ?
    No problem, PussyNoMore. I'm afraid no matter how much voice we put into this one, they'll never reconsider it. The thing is, with contemporary novels getting released (not necessarily Bond novels, just prose fiction overall), the cover artworks have descended into the lowest of the lows. All photographic, cheap large fonts, hardly any touch of class, art and mystery to them, the society has lost all sophistication it used to have. I miss the old days when covers were painted, illustrated, properly taken care of, and gave a hint of what the interior pages offered. Nowadays, when I look at a modern book, I'm not slightly interested in them.

Perhaps if we proposed ‘crowd funding’ to get Fay ?
    This, together with the Waterstones boycott, might be enough to get their attention.
    We have to try something. We can’t allow our hero to be embalmed in this abomination.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Here's the new Folio release of Goldfinger

http://www.foliosociety.com/book/IFG/goldfinger
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Damn, that's pretty.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    I spotted that earlier today. Off to order it now.
    PussyNoMore can’t contain his excitement and has reached for his wallet.
    Weldon is a genius - this collection is really building into a must have !
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    PussyNoMore can’t contain his excitement and has reached for his wallet.
    Weldon is a genius - this collection is really building into a must have !

I might get some of these for a birthday gift.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I thought Folio were going to go in order now?
    Who doesn't appreciate the occasional twist?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Like Blofeld being Bond's foster brother? =))
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited March 2018 Posts: 2,721
    I thought the same but now I'm assuming when they said 'chronological order' they mean from Dr No onwards now - so really the next should be FYEO but I could see them skipping it and going to Thunderball. same could happen with TSWLM and go to OHMSS instead.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Like Blofeld being Bond's foster brother? =))

That twist we could have done quite happily without!
    PussyNoMore's 'Goldfinger' has arrived and it is beautiful !
    The slip case visual is amongst Dalton's best Bond work to date as is her jaw dropping visual of Tiffany. All of the scenes that they have chosen to illustrate are truly iconic.
    Pussy's only small criticism of this series is the lack of bound in book mark - but that's a small thing.
    Make no mistake, these are must haves for any self respecting Bondologist.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    My Goldfinger arrived today. Nice, but.... I would have liked at least one picture of Bond tailing Goldfinger’s Rolls Royce in the Aston Martin DBIII.
    Chevron wrote: »
    My Goldfinger arrived today. Nice, but.... I would have liked at least one picture of Bond tailing Goldfinger’s Rolls Royce in the Aston Martin DBIII.

Good point. PussyNoMore agrees.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The slip case visual is amongst Dalton's best Bond work to date as is her jaw dropping visual of Tiffany. All of the scenes that they have chosen to illustrate are truly iconic.
    Pussy's only small criticism of this series is the lack of bound in book mark - but that's a small thing.

Tiffany?!

Tiffany?!

I thought the same thing!

Tiffany?!

Mon Dieu, PussyNoMore needs to calm down and take his medication.
    He did of course mean Jill !

edited April 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Folio Society is releasing it's Summer collection next Wednesday, which may include the next Fleming Edition. No guarantees though, and it's hard to tell from the preview picture. Depends on whether they want to release 2 or 3 this year. If they only release 2 this year, they'll get another chance in October for their Autumn/Winter sale.

Statement:
    It's nearly time for our Summer Collection! On 2 May 2018, 15 stunning new titles will be released. You'll find an eclectic blend of horror, classic fiction, history and golden age crime. Here's a tiny sneak peek...
    31351537_2324518227562201_2570947464672575488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=89630a001b37ae14bb7886464a136a4b&oe=5B6126A3
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I normally look at these with envy wishing I could justify shelling out the money for books I already own several times over. I'm sure I'll regret not buying them one day.

However not blown away by this one - the cover looks far too influenced by the film (this scene doesn't even happen in the book we are just told about it third hand by Tilly) and Oddjob looks more like Poirot.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've tried to pull the trigger on one of these for so long, but $75 shipped is too much for my cheap ass. Maybe some day.
  • NSGWNSGW London
    Decided to treat myself and bought Dr No, arrived yesterday and its wonderful. Very expensive but for the joy it will bring me in the coming weeks, I think it may be worth it.

These special editions are what Fleming's work deserve!
    NSGW wrote: »
    Decided to treat myself and bought Dr No, arrived yesterday and its wonderful. Very expensive but for the joy it will bring me in the coming weeks, I think it may be worth it.

These special editions are what Fleming's work deserve!

Clearly a person with excellent taste.

edited April 2018 Posts: 9,117
    So tempted to just go and spunk £175 on the lot and stick it on the credit card. Just makes it take another month or two to pay off.
    So tempted to just go and spunk £175 on the lot and stick it on the credit card. Just makes it take another month or two to pay off.

Don't give me ideas. I might just go ahead and order them all…
    I've got MR and it's great. I get paid this week actually so might have to treat myself to another.
    I've got MR and it's great. I get paid this week actually so might have to treat myself to another.

That's how I'm starting to view it. I haven't been able to stop drooling over these since I first noticed them, I might just have to bite the bullet and pick one up with every paycheck. It's ridiculously tempting.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited April 2018 Posts: 2,721
    I bought CR, FRWL and DN in one fell swoop. Saved on shipping that way. Bought MR one off but have held off buying GF until they release the next one and will then save on shipping again. (I also have the one-off LALD they released a decade ago - but got that cheap 2nd hand)

These are lush and look gorgeous on the bookshelf. I even read the folio version of DN when I re-read it last month. Don't want them just gathering dust!

It was their release of FRWL which made me finally bite the bullet and start buying them all. It contains my favourite illustrations.

The other option for interested buyers is to wait until they release all of them and then I imagine they'll have a box set which will be better value for money.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I need to stop buying things.

They're so worth it though, I'm sure.

Perhaps the Wizard could cancel his ‘Jackie’ or ‘Mills & Boom’ subscriptions and divert funds. PussyNoMore thinks this could be a less costly option ?

But if the wizard did that how we could get his TSWLM style female fiction hit?