No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    After all ignoring mr reddit it could be Boyle loved Purvis and Wade’s idea and brought Hodge in to rework the script so the final film writing credits would be
    Not sure what mr reddit has to say on the matter, but it was gossip columnist Baz Bamigboye's comments that alluded to Boyle and Hodge's pitch being an entirely fresh approach, not this reddit chap. Therefore, it would seem most unlikely that Boyle has even read the P&W script, never mind love it and want to rework it. For all intents and purposes, it would seem that the P&W script has been put aside for now. Whether it becomes the final chosen treatment will no doubt depend on how John Hodge's script pans out and is received.

Fairly certain the Reddit poster announced all of this before Baz. He even noted there was the Demange/P&W angle, and the Boyle/Hodge angle, and they'd go with one or the other. Don't think a Boyle/P&W was ever happening, but I could be wrong.

If Boyle is directing, I'd rather him get a script crafted by a longtime collaborator of his (makes it more likely it'll be standalone) than P&W making some SP continuation.

Why is everybody so concerned with a potential continuation? They built a much stronger basis in CR and QOS, only to completely ignore it in SF and then rape it in SP, so it would be the most natural thing in the world for Bond25 to ignore what came before, especially the bad stuff.
    I'm personally not worried about it, but would argue that the CR to QoS scenario was very different from what they concocted in the last film, which was more far reaching & all encompassing.

The earlier situation was about Bond searching for answers to Vesper's betrayal, which led him to Quantum. The organization was already introduced in CR anyway, courtesy of White. It was a 'Vesper story arc'. Furthermore, the film came out a mere 2 years later and then we had the long break.

In the last film in contrast they went so far as to tie absolutely everything in the Craig era to date together under the guise of an 'all knowing' chief bad with whom Bond had a family history. That's 10+ years and 4 films of history. So it became more 'The Bond arc'.

When I watch CR these days, it's difficult not to think of Waltz or even Seydoux. Believe me such thoughts aren't welcome and soil the viewing experience. The same goes for viewing SF, although the connection is more tenuous there, thanks to Silva's revenge motive being so well captured by a highly charismatic Bardem.

It's a question of narrative credibility for this iteration and era. That's why I'm personally very curious to see what they come up with. I think they will at least have to acknowledge the events of SP somewhere. Just ignoring it and making a 'stub entry' isn't going to help with future viewings of the set. There has to be some consequence. Some pathos. I can't see Craig going out without that.

Blofeld in drag, with lipstick, eyeshade and a wig doesn t distract from the faceless Blofeld in FRWL/TB, does it? Even though it is supposed to be him.
    Ah but you completely miss the point. There's no real solid connectivity between those films. It was loose. We imagined it as we wanted to. It wasn't shoved down our throats. Not to mention that in between that we had the reboot of OHMSS.

This time around there was a complete narrative arc which we were told to believe (no matter how incredulous it may seem).

Like I said, I'm really not bothered. Just explaining what will impact some viewers. Others who embrace this iteration will of course choose to willfully absorb anything they throw at us.
    ---

EDIT: Thanks for that @Calliope. That's great news. So we can rest assured that we are still on track for a Bond film by November 2019.
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/929859/James-Bond-25-Bond-girl-Lily-James-Daniel-Craig-Danny-Boyle-All-You-Need-Is-Love/amp

I call this speculation but she is quite beautiful but I haven't anything with her so would she make a great final bond girl for craig? My money's still on scarlett johansson.

Lily was Debora in BABY DRIVER last year. Also played Cinderella a few years back. She'd be a fantastic Bond girl.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Not to give off the wrong impression of hostility again, and to make clear I'm merely making a simple comment that you did seem slightly bothered by this when you said:

"When I watch CR these days, it's difficult not to think of Waltz or even Seydoux. Believe me such thoughts aren't welcome and soil the viewing experience."

And I think those that do enjoy this era, @bondjames, do not absorb anything thrown at us. I've been clear of my own issues with SP. So have many other fans of this era, RC7 being the most recent member to do so.

We're just not hysterical about the faults of one movie in one era, which is a part of a 24 film library, as some have been in recent days.

Calliope wrote: »
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/929859/James-Bond-25-Bond-girl-Lily-James-Daniel-Craig-Danny-Boyle-All-You-Need-Is-Love/amp

I call this speculation but she is quite beautiful but I haven't anything with her so would she make a great final bond girl for craig? My money's still on scarlett johansson.

Lily was Debora in BABY DRIVER last year. Also played Cinderella a few years back. She'd be a fantastic Bond girl.
    Oh definitely. Either a Bond girl or MP. I've enjoyed her in everything I've seen her in, including the two you mentioned. She was also impressive in the Darkest Hour and Downton Abbey.

Just not for this Bond. Keep her on ice for B26.
    ---

@peter, again I believe you might be misunderstanding me. When I said not bothered, I'm talking about B25. I've already resigned myself to how I view SP and what impact it's had on my opinion of the Craig era, including its impact on earlier films. What I expect them to do now is try to close it out properly, which they didn't do in SP imho. So if they include continuity again I wouldn't be bothered about it. They can only improve the situation from here on in, by cleaning up the experience of SP and helping me to view the entire Craig arc in a more respectable manner.

I wasn't talking about you when I was referring to some lapping up the Craig era. I meant in general there are some who will lap up anything that's dished at them. In fact, I'm glad to learn that isn't you. It's good to be critical from time to time. I quite agree that hysterical behaviour is really uncalled for, but thankfully I haven't seen much of that here. Just members voicing their thoughts on direction, as they are entitled to do.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    After all ignoring mr reddit it could be Boyle loved Purvis and Wade’s idea and brought Hodge in to rework the script so the final film writing credits would be
    Not sure what mr reddit has to say on the matter, but it was gossip columnist Baz Bamigboye's comments that alluded to Boyle and Hodge's pitch being an entirely fresh approach, not this reddit chap. Therefore, it would seem most unlikely that Boyle has even read the P&W script, never mind love it and want to rework it. For all intents and purposes, it would seem that the P&W script has been put aside for now. Whether it becomes the final chosen treatment will no doubt depend on how John Hodge's script pans out and is received.

Fairly certain the Reddit poster announced all of this before Baz. He even noted there was the Demange/P&W angle, and the Boyle/Hodge angle, and they'd go with one or the other. Don't think a Boyle/P&W was ever happening, but I could be wrong.

If Boyle is directing, I'd rather him get a script crafted by a longtime collaborator of his (makes it more likely it'll be standalone) than P&W making some SP continuation.

Why is everybody so concerned with a potential continuation? They built a much stronger basis in CR and QOS, only to completely ignore it in SF and then rape it in SP, so it would be the most natural thing in the world for Bond25 to ignore what came before, especially the bad stuff.
    I'm personally not worried about it, but would argue that the CR to QoS scenario was very different from what they concocted in the last film, which was more far reaching & all encompassing.

The earlier situation was about Bond searching for answers to Vesper's betrayal, which led him to Quantum. The organization was already introduced in CR anyway, courtesy of White. It was a 'Vesper story arc'. Furthermore, the film came out a mere 2 years later and then we had the long break.

In the last film in contrast they went so far as to tie absolutely everything in the Craig era to date together under the guise of an 'all knowing' chief bad with whom Bond had a family history. That's 10+ years and 4 films of history. So it became more 'The Bond arc'.

When I watch CR these days, it's difficult not to think of Waltz or even Seydoux. Believe me such thoughts aren't welcome and soil the viewing experience. The same goes for viewing SF, although the connection is more tenuous there, thanks to Silva's revenge motive being so well captured by a highly charismatic Bardem.

It's a question of narrative credibility for this iteration and era. That's why I'm personally very curious to see what they come up with. I think they will at least have to acknowledge the events of SP somewhere. Just ignoring it and making a 'stub entry' isn't going to help with future viewings of the set. There has to be some consequence. Some pathos. I can't see Craig going out without that.

Blofeld in drag, with lipstick, eyeshade and a wig doesn t distract from the faceless Blofeld in FRWL/TB, does it? Even though it is supposed to be him.
    Ah but you completely miss the point. There's no real solid connectivity between those films. It was loose. We imagined it as we wanted to. It wasn't shoved down our throats. Not to mention that in between that we had the reboot of OHMSS.

This time around there was a complete narrative arc which we were told to believe (no matter how incredulous it may seem).

Like I said, I'm really not bothered. Just explaining what will impact some viewers. Others who embrace this iteration will of course choose to willfully absorb anything they throw at us.
    ---

EDIT: Thanks for that @Calliope. That's great news. So we can rest assured that we are still on track for a Bond film by November 2019.

All right, those are fair points.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    1. Aside from Jurassic park and Schindler's List, Spielberg has filmed several other back-to-back films in quick succession: Lost World and Amistad, Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can, and most impressively: War of the Worlds and Munich. He jst filmed The Post and Ready Player One on tight schedules, too.

2. But not everyone is Spielberg.

3. Clint Eastwood also directed a few films, in rapid succession. Steven Soderbergh did Full Frontal and Solaris, back-to-back (both underrated films, imho).

4. My guess is that Newman will be replaced. Daniel Pemberton's name has bounced around on these boards. Boyle collaborated with Arnold on the 2012 Olympics, so there is that. It is also possible that Boyle would go in a whole new direction: Rupert Gregson-Williams, perhaps?

• RC7RC7
    I never think of Waltz, or SP when I watch CR. Perhaps that’s because I’d seen that movie 30-40 times between 06-15, but either way I feel sorry for those that do. Despite the efforts of SP to connect the narrative, it’s really quite flaccid and never impacts my appreciation of its three predecessors.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    In this case, yes, I did misunderstand. I get what you’re saying, but I have a gut feeling that with the potential of a Boyle film, he won’t touch a SP thread.

If I’m not mistaken, one of the articles said Boyle didn’t think EoN would like the pitch, and was surprised when the feedback was positive. This leads me to believe that the story is a 180 turn on anything they were working with previously.

Taking into account that EoN knows they delivered something sub-par, my guess would be this story takes place quite a bit away from the happenings of SP.

Also, the general audience won’t remember the events from SP. To them, it’s just another Bond film (in fact I have friends asking: which one was that again? and often muddle SP with SF).

My guess, just a guess, SP is long gone.
    TripAces wrote: »
    4. My guess is that Newman will be replaced. Daniel Pemberton's name has bounced around on these boards. Boyle collaborated with Arnold on the 2012 Olympics, so there is that. It is also possible that Boyle would go in a whole new direction: Rupert Gregson-Williams, perhaps?
    Newman received two nominations (grammy and oscar) for SF. They of course won for the song twice (Adele and Smith). If they have continued aspirations for awards recognition, it's likely to come in these secondary categories rather than the more prestigious best film/actor/director etc. so I'd imagine they'd go with someone on the 'up and up' who may garner a nod. Pemberton perhaps fits that bill. Desplat is another choice (I think he won this year for Shape of Water). I'm not familiar with Gregson-Williams.
    ---

@peter, no worries. That's fine if they go that route. Probably for the best as you say so as not to remind the general audience, although just speaking for my friends and family, they all do in fact see the Craig arc to date as one whole story. They bought into what SP sold. They weren't upset about it as I was. Just indifferent. They don't go out of their way to revisit the films anyway.
    QOS and SP are fan movies as far as I'm concerned. Boyle's Bond movie will complete the Craig Bond trilogy.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    QOS and SP are fan movies as far as I'm concerned. Boyle's Bond movie will complete the Craig Bond trilogy.

Wow, that's a controversial opinion about QoS! It doesn't seem fanboyish to me. They had some great ideas and scenes (primarily Mathis, the opera scene, and that ending--wonderful). While I doubt that even a non-rushed QoS would reach the heights of CR, it could have come close. Maybe.
    peter wrote: »

A Kate Beckinsale type (beautiful, physical and can act).

Hopefully better than Beckinsale. Pretty to look at, but she always has that same expressionless look.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    SF and SP are fan movies as far as I'm concerned. Boyle's Bond movie will complete the Craig Bond trilogy.

I fixed that for you. QoS may have many flaws, but being a fan movie? Which fan would actually come with that? Most fans would avoid continuity, add gadgets, have the Bond theme play more often, and add Moneypenny and Q to the gadget.
    Personally looking forward to Bond 22 myself.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I'm still looking forward to From a View to a Kill.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As general as the following thoughts are: I agree that most view the Craig era as connected, but it is, as you say @bondjames, with indifference. An almost hazy recollection of events.

Now here’s where I get all artsy-fartsy:I too believe that 25 will also be connected. But not by the events from Bond’s movielife, but more from the character himself. This may not be what people are hoping for (and this is just a general guess on my part, not my own hopes either), but there is no value for EoN to ever mention SP, or even the other films for that matter; just having DC as Bond already there, generally does that. He is the Spine to all these stories.

And then taking into account that Boyle was surprised at the positive reception to his pitch, I have to believe he’s going to stretch what’s left of DC-Bond; and that won’t be retracing steps from his past. But pushing him on, and through his character and actions, we will have a bookend where this Bond, maybe on his last mission, has to find the big picture again... and through these final actions, he saves the day, “and what little of” him is left.

And in a similar way to MOONRAKER, the novel, DC-Bond, using a cane and recovering from his injuries walks away.

General, muddy, and I may be way off base, but I can’t see Boyle wanting to continue shoehorning (that already exists with DC’s presence), but pushing the character FORWARD to properly give the era its bookend.
    You could be right @peter, but then again that's what I thought most were expecting with the reported Logan style P&W sendoff.

I can only imagine that Boyle's take is even more off beat. As I said some pages back, given EON's penchant for following trends, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a more colourful and zany (apparently something Boyle could do) take on Bond, similar to what Taika Waititi did so successfully with Thor Ragnarok, which was an outsize hit from the end of last year. I'm watching it as I type this and it's a total blast. A reboot in tone without rebooting.

Let's see. We don't even know if this touted idea is going to get approved yet.
    I think I may be in a minority but I think Boyle coming on board gives the series a new eenerg. Who, this time a year ago, would have predicted the situation we have now? Goodness knows where Boyle will take Bond. But isn't that so much better than another director just rehashing the established formula?
  • echoecho 007 in New York

The past is prologue. Forster got to move the gunbarrel and hire MK2. Mendes got to move the gunbarrel and kill M (to great success). Mendes got to insert a cliche in the middle of the gunbarrel and neuter Blofeld.

The producers choose to take a back seat to the director. The (very) safe money is on Academy Award winner Boyle being hired. To do otherwise would be an embarrassment to Eon.

echo wrote: »

The past is prologue. Forster got to move the gunbarrel and hire MK2. Mendes got to move the gunbarrel and kill M (to great success). Mendes got to insert a cliche in the middle of the gunbarrel and neuter Blofeld.

The producers choose to take a back seat to the director. The (very) safe money is on Academy Award winner Boyle being hired. To do otherwise would be an embarrassment to Eon.
    True. Now that it's out there it pretty much has to become reality, and succeed for that matter. Hope for their sake it lives up to the hype.
    patb wrote: »
    I think I may be in a minority but I think Boyle coming on board gives the series a new eenerg. Who, this time a year ago, would have predicted the situation we have now? Goodness knows where Boyle will take Bond. But isn't that so much better than another director just rehashing the established formula?
    Definitely so. I'm looking forward to what Boyle/Hodge come up with. Just the novelty of it all is a welcome change from the last almost 10 years.
    Two Oscar winning directors in a row now.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Two Oscar winning directors in a row now.

Hope he does a better job than Mendes

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Birdleson wrote: »
    One of my favorite aspects of Boyle's films is the crisp energy and spontaneity he infuses them with. Whether dark or light, humorous or nauseating; his films never fail to feel vibrant, fresh and alive to me. That quality is what I want to see him bring to a Bond film; and I think that he will. The big issue for me is whether he is going to have to get himself mired in the clumsy continuity of SP, or will he be given the freedom to ignore all of that mess. Again, I am cautiously optimistic that EON must see that, with the passage of a little time, SP is generally regarded as a disappointment; and surely it doesn't take a lot of insight to realize that the two jewels of the Craig Era (financially, critically, with audiences and, now, their historic place in the canon), CR and SF, were filmed as (and intended to be) one-offs; both were followed by less successful sequels that forced general audiences to remember and care about things from several years prior; and that has never been the draw of the cinematic Bond. I think that there is reason to feel good.

I see your point, but there's a limit to how alive-feeling he can make this one given that he has to incorporate Daniel Craig somewhere.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Good summary of Boyle. I feel exactly the same way. I’m hoping he brings a freshness and lightness of touch that’s been sorely lacking for years now. The Craig era has been a bit portentious and bloated. Looking forward to something a bit stripped back, dynamic and hopefully less than 2 hours long. Dare I say ‘entertaining’ as well?

For me his other big strength is that he likes to tell a proper story - also something we haven’t seen since CR. The plot is always the core of his films rather than an afterthought. And because he has a strong narrative to tell he can twist and play with that narrative which he does expertly.

But narrative credibility went out the window already with SF, when Bond all of a sudden was old and weary of his job, after he just got a grip on it as a rookie in the very previous films. SP just took the lack of credibility a few steps further. There is no credible timeline ore arc or logic throughout the Craig films, except to a degree from CR to QoS. So ignoring SP´s retconning would only be natural in context.

• edited March 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I agree entirely with both @Birdleson's and @Getafix's assessments of Boyle's talents. Put it this way, I'm far more excited about Danny Boyle's involvement in B25 than I was at the prospect of having shaky-cam Yann Demange at the helm.

The likelihood is that B25 will be a standalone. I'm sure that it's been mentioned that Boyle already had this germ of an idea kicking around in his head long before Spectre went into production, but wasn't entirely convinced he was the right man to direct a Bond movie, so the idea just stayed safely tucked away in his head. That was, until there appeared to be problems with B25 and which direction the series should take next.

I'm guessing that B25 will be set quite a few years hence forth from Spectre and won't be acting as a continuation piece. There might be a minor discussion between characters (maybe between Bond's new lady) alluding to the breakup of his previous relationship with Madeleine Swann, but I think it will be mostly glossed over and not get in the way of the new story. More a case of tell, not so much show. There's no need to mention Blofeld as he's safely behind bars, ready to abscond and resurface at a later date, should they need him for a future 007 movie.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    If I’m not mistaken, one of the articles said Boyle didn’t think EoN would like the pitch, and was surprised when the feedback was positive.

Alarm bells ringing here.

He's gone in thinking they're never going to go with this but then they have because no idea is too shit any more.

Could be anything from Bond having a sex change to become a woman by the end of it ready for B26 to Daniel tracking Waltz down to a log cabin where the film then cuts back and forth between them as kids filling in the backstory before a Holmes & Moriaty fight to the death over the glacier from the novel.

Anything anyone puts on the table now EON could conceivably green light.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    If I’m not mistaken, one of the articles said Boyle didn’t think EoN would like the pitch, and was surprised when the feedback was positive.

Alarm bells ringing here.

He's gone in thinking they're never going to go with this but then they have because no idea is too shit any more.

Could be anything from Bond having a sex change to become a woman by the end of it ready for B26 to Daniel tracking Waltz down to a log cabin where the film then cuts back and forth between them as kids filling in the backstory before a Holmes & Moriaty fight to the death over the glacier from the novel.

Anything anyone puts on the table now EON could conceivably green light.

Agreed. This could be a red flag.
    Truth of the matter is, we don't entirely know under what circumstances Boyle made his pitch to Eon. I'm guessing that perhaps Craig bumped into Boyle at some social gathering whereby Danny told him of his idea and, to his great surprise, was encouraged to take it to the producers of Bond. This might explain why Craig is championing Boyle and is 100% behind "their" idea. Until we learn more details about whatever this "idea" is, none of us can be entirely sure if we're going to like it or not. The only encouraging signs I can read is that Boyle is a big Fleming fan (having read all the books multiple times) and is also a huge cinematic Bond fan. That aside, he's also an incredibly versatile and talented director, so at this stage I'm more enthusiastic about his involvement than I am pessimistic about it.
    Based on the story by Baz, I'm expecting a very high concept story from Boyle and Hodge. My first guess would be that it involves the Queen.